As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[East Asia] - Shinzo Abe shot, killed

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    Norks win, thanks Obama.

• Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    So, The Interview is no more I guess?

Not exactly. Sony just pulled the Christmas Day release, because having moviegoers irrationally avoid theaters during the holidays is worse for business than a few weeks delay on the release of a 2nd tier comedy. Besides, South Korean activists are already ballooning localized DVD copies over the DMZ into best korea.

Edit: speaking of, it seems the death scene for Kim Jong Un from The Interview has now been uploaded. Without further ado and the power of the Streissand Effect, here's what Best Korea has been trying to keep from being shown in theaters for the past month (of course, spoilers):

Emissary42 on
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Dvd release or not even that?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Dvd release or not even that?

It could still very well get a theatrical release. Just not on Christmas Day, which is a pretty big movie release day.
    They'll probably put it out in January of February. Things are typically a lot slower at the box office around that time of year, so if people decide to avoid theaters then, it'll have a much lower financial impact overall.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    It's funny how my interest in this movie has gone from 0 to 100%.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    There's something about "the comedy North Korea doesn't want you to see!" Thats very appealing.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    There's something about "the comedy North Korea doesn't want you to see!" Thats very appealing.

Technically, isn't that every comedy?

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    and yet, somehow, a hundred other comedies (some even starring best korea) have all gotten released.

what the hell?

• Options
    frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    and yet, somehow, a hundred other comedies (some even starring best korea) have all gotten released.

what the hell?

Kim Jong UN is apparently a lot more sensitive about this then his father.

• Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    Hilariously, it probably wasn't even North Korea that did the hack.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Daedalus wrote: »

Having read about how terrible the security was on Sony's server, I think anybody could have hacked it after a few hours of reading up on hacking.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    "Huh? Wuzzat? That studio with the movie I'm in got hacked? Uh..took you long enough to notice, foolish Americans! Yea! It was me, I told the..guys to do the thing. Super hacked. That'll learn ya."

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Having read about how terrible the security was on Sony's server, I think anybody could have hacked it after a few hours of reading up on hacking.

They literally had a file named "Passwords" with unencrypted passwords in it. You would have thought after the whole PSN fiasco they'd have beefed up their cyber-security somewhat, but I guess not!

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Xaquin wrote: »

what the hell?

All is not lost. The Alamo Drafthouse will be playing Team America on Christmas Day instead.

Edit: Never mind! We're all a bunch of cowards, so that won't be showing either. Ugh...

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »

They literally had a file named "Passwords" with unencrypted passwords in it. You would have thought after the whole PSN fiasco they'd have beefed up their cyber-security somewhat, but I guess not!

Different subset of Sony.

I know they are one mega-conglomerate but still they all act as different entities and have separate cyber security groups and IT departments.

Also in real IR news around this.

US mulls retaliation over Sony leak

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Why do people think that North Korea wasn't behind the hack?

• Options
    Total speculation
    North Korea has the reputation of a bumbling nation, unable to do much of anything right. When journalists visited the country, they found people staring at computers, but either not allowed or unable to use them. The reputation isn't exactly unfair, and so with a hack like this, that gets away with so much information, people assume that NK is not only not responsible, but incapable.

Of course we know that the hack was not terribly sophisticated, but the lay person doesn't.

• Options
    Harbringer197Harbringer197 Registered User regular
    there pretty sophisticated I mean their counterfeit currency is some of the best in the world. some theorize north korea bought the services of chinese hackers which is entirely plausible.

• Options
    Yeah, idk if it was Korean Nationals but I always assumed NK paid some hackers to hit Sony.

• Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    I sort of assume that while it's obvious the country is starving and such, some of the more relevant stuff that foreigners are allowed to see is kind of a Potemkin Village for tourists

I mean it could be that they just merc'd a hack via China or something, but I also imagine that they've invested a bit into their own capabilities; the stuff that we've seen via Vice documentaries and diplomatic visits and stuff is probably not accurate, at least in regards to their capabilities

a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I sort of assume that while it's obvious the country is starving and such, some of the more relevant stuff that foreigners are allowed to see is kind of a Potemkin Village for tourists

I mean it could be that they just merc'd a hack via China or something, but I also imagine that they've invested a bit into their own capabilities; the stuff that we've seen via Vice documentaries and diplomatic visits and stuff is probably not accurate, at least in regards to their capabilities

The lady who wrote this book:
    http://www.amazon.ca/Without-You-There-Is-No/dp/0307720659

was on The Daily Show last week talking about it and implied that while she was undercover there teaching the future elite of the country, it was like 10 years ago or something and they didn't even know about the internet.

• Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Why do people think that North Korea wasn't behind the hack?

http://marcrogers.org/2014/12/18/why-the-sony-hack-is-unlikely-to-be-the-work-of-north-korea/

Edit: more in depth analysis here: https://www.riskbasedsecurity.com/2014/12/a-breakdown-and-analysis-of-the-december-2014-sony-hack/

The key thing here is that the hackers didn't mention The Interview until after the media did.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I have to believe that most North Koreans don't know about the Internet, because North Korea projects an image of the world to its citizens that things outside their borders are even worse. If there's one thing to invalidate that, it's the existence of the Internet, an invention so incredible that I think it's something you couldn't convince someone from a hundred years ago would actually exist.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    FBI points finger at NK

Yeah at this moment it is best to assume the attack on Sony was from Best Korea. And proceed from there.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I have to believe that most North Koreans don't know about the Internet, because North Korea projects an image of the world to its citizens that things outside their borders are even worse. If there's one thing to invalidate that, it's the existence of the Internet, an invention so incredible that I think it's something you couldn't convince someone from a hundred years ago would actually exist.

The one thing I've realized reading accounts of North Koreans who have escaped the country is that they are actually pretty media savvy. Tons of bootleg DVDs and other materials flow through the Chinese border and watching/trading Asian and Western movies is a national pasttime.

Of course, it's also highly illegal and could get a person killed or thrown in a concentration camp, but everyone does it anyway. That right there is highly suggestive of the actual relationship between North Koreans and their government. They are isolated, but they are not programmed robots who only know of Dear Leader.

* The massive number of organized Chinese smugglers and other criminals in the country are apparently another unintentional source of education for North Koreans. When you are surrounded by criminal foreigners who have more freedom, better clothes and massive amounts of money to bribe local officials with, you can't help but wonder about the government's message that you are the best off people in the world.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Obama vows retaliation, someday, somehow.

Honestly I don't think anything is going to happen. North Korea doesn't have nuclear weapons, but it doesn't need it. It has the equivalent of a nuke: the fuckton of artillery aimed at Seoul. At any time, if the world does nothing and North Korea collapses on its own, Kim Jong Un can snap his fingers and end 500 billion dollar trade and spread havoc upon 25 million people. He will never win, but he can definitely drag the whole world down with him. But as long as North Korea doesn't outright threaten to blow up Seoul if the movie comes out (suicidally), I see no reason The Interview can't be released.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I deletrd the OP, it was old and shitty and I'll update it with The Interview later.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Cantido wrote: »
    "We will respond," Obama told an end-of-year news conference. "We'll respond proportionally, and we'll respond in a place and time and manner that we choose."

So we'll hack a North Korean media conglomerate?

• Options
    Good old information war. Radio free Korea, floating The Interview over, hacking their internets.

Maybe...

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    North Korean internet, hah, that's funny.

488W936.png
  • Options
    Harbringer197Harbringer197 Registered User regular
    hack kim jong un's personal computer. lol reminds me of the time when the U.S. perma banned one of saddam's sons personal email.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    North Korea has called for a joint investigation with the US into the hack.

Cause they promise they totally did it. I mean didn't do it.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    North Korea has called for a joint investigation with the US into the hack.

Cause they promise they totally did it. I mean didn't do it.

There's actually some reasonable specualtion that they didn't do it. If that's so, I just hope the U.S. doesn't double down to avoid looking stupid.

And honestly, someone needs to put a fucking muzzle on the FBI. If they're wrong, this is one in a multi-decade string of public declarations (Atlanta Olympics bombing, anthrax attack, Brandon Mayfield, etc.) made early in their investigations that ended up with the wrong people accused. This time, it could start a war.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Uh no it really couldn't

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Uh no it really couldn't

Welp, foreign crisis solved. We're all done here folks.

• Options
    Uh no it really couldn't

Ok pal

We aren't declaring war on North Korea over a fucking movie hack are you kidding me ?

Not everything has military solution

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Uh no it really couldn't

Ok pal

We aren't declaring war on North Korea over a fucking movie hack are you kidding me ?

Not everything has military solution

Yeah, that's totally what "This time, it could start a war." means. Obviously. Only possible interpretation.

Or maybe I'm just noting that any exchange of tit for tat with a paranoid, unstable dicatorship with nukes and millions of hostages in Seoul could go wrong. Sensitive diplomatic situation, and all.

But, as you noted, I'm obviously wrong. So, close the thread down.

• Options
    Dude chill the fuck out

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Dude chill the fuck out

Snort. Is that your version of "Stop hitting yourself?"

Back to the actual news...

A look at North Korea's cyberwar capabilities

This discussion has been closed.