As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Deities Or: No God, Deep Web

Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong LoveRegistered User regular
throughout the years i've often spoke on religion with some of you, whether it be through threads about morality, faith or making fun the dresden codak guy. often times, and especially in the days of the SE++ facebook group having functioning group chat, i got a lot of questions about the afterlife.

which we could go on about for years. whats always interested me in both faith and mythology is the similarities in structure/parallels and complementary gods and myths that often times seem like sides of the same coin.

that said, an old favorite of mine that we see in literature, film and classic art is good ol'e greek mythology. id welcome discussion on any of the gods, be they nordic, whatever the fuck alan moore believes in, and any abrhamics you might bring to the table. here is my interpretation of the greek stuff

GAEA: gaea fucked herself and made her son, URANUS. gaea is the earth goddess. after fucking her son, she birthed the titans. this earth mother was pretty popular until hellenistic culture/civilization replaced her

URANUS: this guy fucked his mother a whole lot and she birthed so many, so god damn many titans. he was the creator of patriarchy, in that he was first High Male. he rode this wave for a while until his son ripped his balls off. presumed dead or missing

CRONUS: cronus was a fucking nutcase. aside from being convinced to rip off his dad's balls to ascend to his place of power, he had a wife rhea who he fucked a whole lot. he didnt like his seat of power and quite possibly the future harm to his balls to happen at the hands of their numerous children so he just started eating them. those that survived were olympians, and rhea choked him out with a rock, ensuring their survival

ZEUS: was a man after his father's heart. i dont know if he ripped off cronus' balls, as is the way of things? the olympian brothers he shared (poseidon/hades right now) all took straws and zeus got sky lord. didn't cheat into that at all, nope.

husband of hera. in a very loose sense of the word. as all deity/incest/rape scenarios seem to end in tears. after appearing to her as a bird, he raped her and they married so she could retain honor. zeus was an asshole like that, and he was really fond of turning into animals and fucking people for whatever goddamn reason

OCEANUS: oceanus was a lot of water. he created nymphs and raised hera alongside wife Tethys

HERA: wife of zeus and sister of zeus because of whatever weird fucking "free love" bullshit happening in the skies above greece was happening in the sixties. anyway, hera is most noted for having both the shittiest husband, and for being hung by gold chains after understandably trying to drug and kill her asshole husband. a great deal of the time, she fucked with his plans after vowing to never rebel. she also did fucked up shit to anybody zeus fucked as barnyard and sky creatures

ATHENA: god of smart people, athena was born by way of the proto-fan fiction that literally sprang from zeus' skull. motherless, and born wearing a suit of armor, she predates adventure time's fiona in terms of scope and implication. she was the goddess of cities, progress and invention, and would defend her cities/states in combat. zeus, for being a weird piece of shit, was kindest to her. he let her use his weaponry, and duel wield his lightning bolts. she has never fucked anybody, and is the namesake for athens.

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    holy crap i'm a big fan of Greek myths.

i used to have this book as a kid, and i would read it all the time.

didn't realize it until later, but those myths were really fucked up.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    those aren't MY gods
    MtG-Theros-Art-615x449.jpg
    Erebos-Theros-God-615x449.jpg
    Nylea-Theros-god-of-the-hunt-615x446.jpg
    Theros-Art-Thassa-Goddess-of-the-Sea-615x414.jpg
    Purphoros-God-of-the-Forge-Theros-Art.jpg

Antimatter on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    its one of those "no here are what the grimm fairy tales are actually like"

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Anti, where are those from? They look very interesting.

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »
    Anti, where are those from? They look very interesting.

The newest magic the gathering set, Theros.

Based, of course, on Greek mythology.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Don't forget the balls were tossed into the sea and Aphrodite, the goddess of love, came rising from the water in the spot where they landed.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Also Zeus, being smarter than his father, just ate his first wife, which led to Athena being born full grown from his skull.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    The theory that the Indo-European Gods all come from a common origin is pretty fascinating

It's backed up by various bits of evidence including similarities in the mythic culture of places across vast distance. For example, the concept of a Sky God battling some sort of serpentine creature representing the sea or deep earth is very common from Scandinavia to Greece to Persia to India.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    So my best friend is a history teacher
    and as he recently brought to my attention
    it is entirely possible
    that the reason that greek mythology is so exquisitely messed up
    is that greek HISTORY is also just a big bucket full of live eels and crazyjuice
    allow me to present to you yet another example of this:

So when we talk about Greece
    what we’re actually talking about is a bunch of adjacent cities
    that all happen to speak the same language
    but all totally hate each other
    sort of like a united states of america where every state is Texas
    and inside each of these cities
    there are a bunch of dudes
    who all happen to speak the same language
    Sort of like Texas if every person in Texas was Texas
    (cont.)
    myths retold is still pretty great

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Myth is full of crazy shit, Greek is crazy, Norse is crazy, Native American is crazy, off course Japan and China are wacky, but in my opinion, Egyptian myth is full on crazy town

• Options
    Another thing that is fascinating is the very different way that modern religions and ancient religions saw faith

In modern religions, faith is highly significant. Religious acts of worship committed without faith are hollow and meaningless.

However, in many ancient religions, this is not the case. Zeus demands sacrifice, not actual faith. Worship in ancient religions was more of a pact between mortal and divine, the Gods are masters of their parts of the universe, to enact rituals in their name is a wise thing to do. Otherwise you might earn their ire and you do not want the Gods to dislike you one bit.

So you could be a "pious" Roman and have absolutely no faith in the Gods whatsoever, as long as you followed the correct religious functions.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Though I can't imagine you would bother sacrificing to a god if you didn't believe he existed

unless it was to appease your neighbors.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    It's kind of like taxes

Nobody likes the government but you pay taxes anyway because if you don't then there's some chance that it'll rain for forty days and forty nights and you'll get genital warts

Also maybe a swan will try to bang you

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Fortunately for the average non-believer, the gods seem to watch the shitty pieces of the animal that don't make for good eatin' anyway.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Here's the thing, if Poseidon doesn't exist, then sacrificing this goat will not help me sail. But if he does happen to be real and I don't sacrifice this thing then I'm dead. So hey, why not pay the lip service and sac the goat.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    See that is another disconnect that we of the modern world have!

The idea that faith means to believe in the existence of the divine

To many, in fact most, people of ancient cultures, there was no distinction between the natural and the supernatural (there are some exceptions to this but they are relatively few and far betwen). The world worked the way it did and Gods were an integral part of that. You'd sacrifice something to a God in order to get their good favour because that's the way the world works. You didn't have to like them or care about them or have any kind of faith in them, you just needed to go through the motions because going through the motions is what is significant.

People tend to think that the Romans persecuted Christians because they considered the Christian faith to be wrong or heretical or whatever. That's not really true, the Romans didn't actually give a shit, but it was Roman custom to worship the Gods of your father, because if you didn't, the Gods would shit on you and everyone around you. So they didn't like Christians very much because a) they didn't worship the Gods of their forefathers, which is just fucking weird man, and b) because the Gods might get pissed at that, should probably show them that we don't intend to go the same way.

Gods were really big, powerful things that sat somewhere and occasionally fucked with your shit. Liking them wasn't the point, you might as well dislike the fact that the tide comes in. But, just like how you plan for the tide, you plan for Gods. They are assholes, but they are powerful assholes. So show the proper respect and avoid getting noticed.

Really fascinating stuff.

Solar on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Either way I get to have some tasty goat tonight. Aw yiss.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    "Oh ho another healthy helping of burnt... what is this? Sheep asshole? Thank you, my worshippers!"

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Lets talk Primordial Gods (or Protogenoi) and Personifications

Specifically, lets talk about Nyx and her kids.

Nyx was the ancient goddess of Night, born of Chaos and Eros-Phanes, god of procreation (not to be confused with his grandson Eros, god of getting it on).

Nyx hooked up with her brother Erebus, the Primordial God of Darkness, and possibly also her uncle Khronos, Primordial God of Time. From Erebus she birthed Eros (the sexytimes one), Hemera (Day), Aither (The Sky), and according to the Orphics she was also the mother of Uranus, but no one really takes the Orphics seriously. Hesiod or bust.

Nyx's kids with Erebus aren't the interesting ones anyway. The cool kids are the ones she had all by herself. Called the "Offspring Daimones" they include the Personifications (which include most of Gaiman's Endless, plus even more messed up ones he should have used but probably couldn't find an E name for), the Fates, and the Furies.

"And Nyx (Night) bare hateful Moros (Doom) and black Ker (Violent Death) and Thanatos (Death), and she bare Hypnos (Sleep) and the tribe of Oneiroi (Dreams). And again the goddess murky Nyx, though she lay with none, bare Momos and painful Oizys (Misery), and the Hesperides . . . Also she bare the Moirai (Fates) and the ruthless avenging Keres (Death-Fates) . . . Also deadly Nyx bare Nemesis (Envy) to afflict mortal men, and after her, Apate (Deceit) and Philotes (Friendship) and hateful Geras (Old Age) and hard-hearted Eris (Strife)."

I'm not sure what I love more about that - that there's a goddess with the specific niche of violent death, separate from her brother, Vanilla Death, or that Philotes must have felt really really out of place with the rest of her siblings.

Momus though, Momus was basically just the shitty troll of the gods. He mocked everyone and everything constantly until Zeus got sick of his shit and banished him from Olympus.

• Options
    ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    there's a story written down by ... some early christian missionary type

basically, these norsemen (think 6-7th century) are sailing around the Baltic when they're shipwrecked. So they realize they're in a pickle, and decide to entreat with the gods to get them out of it. They start off praying to their Norse gods, offering up sacrifices of whatever they have on the tiny piece of rock they've washed up on, and then for good measures they run through the foreign gods they know as well (there are quite a few, since they're traders who've been all over)

eventually, cue this conversation:

1. alright, anybody know any other gods?
    2. what about this guy Jesus?
    1. sure, why not

(blank stares)

all: oh, Jesus, thou who art ... some kind of god ... help?

long story short, they get picked up and attribute it to Jesus' intervention. They eventually land in Estonia and ask around for anyone who knows anything about Jesus, so they can pay him back. Eventually they find into another trader who's been further south and knows a thing or two:

-hey, you know Jesus? the Roman god?
    - ... sure?
    - what does he like?

the trader tells them he doesn't know, but he thinks fasts are part of it. So the norsemen all fast very diligently for I think ten days, at which point they consider Jesus to be fully reimbursed and go back to their lives

concludes the missionary: "So the power of Christ reaches even beyond the Empire"

thenews.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    hercules-disneyscreencaps.com-8826.jpg

We all know who is the best.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    So my best friend is a history teacher
    and as he recently brought to my attention
    it is entirely possible
    that the reason that greek mythology is so exquisitely messed up
    is that greek HISTORY is also just a big bucket full of live eels and crazyjuice
    allow me to present to you yet another example of this:

So when we talk about Greece
    what we’re actually talking about is a bunch of adjacent cities
    that all happen to speak the same language
    sort of like a united states of america where every state is Texas
    and inside each of these cities
    there are a bunch of dudes
    who all happen to speak the same language
    Sort of like Texas if every person in Texas was Texas
    (cont.)
    myths retold is still pretty great

Also they were written by people who drank wine out of lead cups.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    GoldenSeducerGoldenSeducer AAAAAUGH!! Registered User regular
    Maybe I've been reading kinda the wrong myths, but I've noticed that Norse gods seems to be a lot less dickish to their followers than the Greeks or Egyptians.

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    timecube

• Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Maybe I've been reading kinda the wrong myths, but I've noticed that Norse gods seems to be a lot less dickish to their followers than the Greeks or Egyptians.

To be fair its alot harder to be more of a dick than the Greek Gods.

• Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    timecube

That's not a myth!

vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I guess it's only tangentially related but I have been reading about the book of Job this morning

man, early christian mythology is messed up

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    I was brought up Hindu
    when I went godless, one of the priests at the temple here in San Antonio pointed out that Hinduism could include people who believed that divinity had neither form nor attribute
    which I took as an attempt to include atheists in the whole cultural continuum
    itself an attempt at holding them to a moral framework? which they felt atheists couldn't have without that cultural community or the concept of an absolute moral authority?
    idunno

Tam on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    I guess it's only tangentially related but I have been reading about the book of Job this morning

job was jewish

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

job was jewish

Nobody's perfect.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Oh man but the stories of Hindu mythology are the craziest shit
    Shiva slices off his Ganesha's head
    Parvati, his wife, gets real mad about this
    So what does he do?
    Tells Brahma to go out and get the head of the first creature he comes across of course!
    And slaps that long-nosed tusky sucker on his dead kid's neck

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Atheism is almost as wide a spread as Theism, to be honest

There are plenty of atheists who wouldn't be included in that because they reject the very concept of divinity

but more about Gods!

The Gods of Babylon were Gods of mud, you know

they loved mud, the Babylonians

Solar on
  • Options
    Tam wrote: »
    Oh man but the stories of Hindu mythology are the craziest shit
    Shiva slices off his Ganesha's head
    Parvati, his wife, gets real mad about this
    So what does he do?
    Tells Brahma to go out and get the head of the first creature he comes across of course!
    And slaps that long-nosed tusky sucker on his dead kid's neck

My favourite story is when Shiva, I think? Is banging his missus for, like

A million years

And the force of this passion is so intense that it threatens to destroy the universe

So they send someone to interrupt it and say, hey, maybe you need to snuggle now

And Shiva is so angered by this interruption that he utterly obliterates the guy they send to stop him

Hahahaha

• Options
    aren't demons in Judaism and Christianity named after Babylonian gods?

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    You know who is a pretty awesome deity? Imhotep.
    An Egyptian polymath, who served under the Third Dynasty king Djoser as chancellor to the pharaoh and high priest of the sun god Ra (or Re) at Heliopolis. He is considered by some to be the earliest known architect and engineer and physician in early history, though two other physicians, Hesy-Ra and Merit-Ptah, lived around the same time.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited December 2013

A fair few
    Standard operating procedure when you're converting new peoples, you make sure to villify their old deities and be like, man are you guys lucky we came along when we did and got you to quit worshiping those demons and false gods before you got in real trouble

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    One of my favorite bits about the old legends of St. Nicholas is that all those things like the Krampus that he pressed into his service on the side of good were a bunch of minor Alpine deities that the early church declared to be demons

He also spent most of his life destroying temples and shrines to Artemis all across Greece and Asia Minor, to keep the locals from backsliding, and she was always throwing spirits and monsters at him to get him to stop

Christmas!

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular

Beelzebub specifically is a corruption of the god Baal to make it The Lord of shit because he was sometimes portrayed as a fly.