As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

War Thunder: Playstation 4 version has launched! Crossplay confirmed!

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    So how are those B-17 changes shaking out?

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I don't know, but as someone trying to grind Germany they're still a pain in the ass

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    I don't know, but as someone trying to grind Germany they're still a pain in the ass

Booooo.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    I'm on Vent but the only one in-room is @DaMoonRulz . I'm sitting here on the nation select screen and I'm torn between US, UK and Soviet. Leaning towards US though.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    Oh, whoops. Forgot to log out.

You can play all the nations. The primary bonus to your first nation selection is that you get a free premium plane from them. Russia has easiest starter planes.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Alright then, Soviet Russia it is.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    Finally went into my first match! T'was a Ground Attack mission.

I apparently came 2nd on my team which is cool. We were ahead for most of the match but the enemy team caught up and took the game.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I think that the reserve planes can only ever see ground attack missions, which is fine and all but can get a little repetitive.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    @Ianator R is reload (only available in Arcade mode). When you're getting ready to bank, use the keys to roll first, then go into the turn. Have your elevator controls bound to keys you can use (some use w and s).

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Still trying to decide how I feel about War Thunder's tanks mode vs. World of Tanks. Once the HD expansion drops for WoT I'm considering going back. I'm not sure. I like the purported damage modeling in War Thunder, but it produces wonky results for me.

Anyone with World of Warplanes experience to compare to War Thunder air mode?

I just had a battle that very accurately simulated my general WT tank experience.

Encountered enemy Panther, we're facing eachother directly --> Hit him twice over crest of hill, reported no damage, with my T-34-85 --> He kills me in one shot over the same hill.

It's basically the whole game for me.

I think I'm giving up War Thunder in regards to tanks. Are Japanese planes still misery and suffering for the most part?

Synthesis on
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    I think that the reserve planes can only ever see ground attack missions, which is fine and all but can get a little repetitive.

I've gotten domination maps a couple of times when I was feeling clubby.

(Really basic planes get some of the neater domination maps, like the one-airfield brawlfests..)

• Options
    DreadBertDreadBert Registered User regular
    A pure BR 1.0 lineup will lock you into ground attack with other 1.0 folks. If you put even a 1.2 in the lineup your game for anything.

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    @DaMoonRulz thanks for the notifications. It's nice to finally see some love for the Japanese tree from Gaijin.

• Options
    From 14:00 GMT July 25th to 00:01 GMT July 28th

30% discount for RP conversion for all nations

From 00:01 GMT July 26th to 00:01 GMT July 28th

x5 RP gain for the first victory of the day for all nations

[Operation] Road to Grozniy available in the Events mode

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    This weekend, from July 25th 20:00 (GMT) until July 28th 16:00 (GMT) combined arms battles will not be available in simulator battles. Players will be able to play in tank only and aircraft only battles in simulator battle mode.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
  • Options
    Completely Un-upgraded Vampire in Korea.

After a long fight it's just a CL-13 vs a Katana, an F-86A, and me.

This CL-13 Pilot is GOOD and doesn't make any mistakes. I go back to base because I'm out of bullets and have no hope of keeping up with a CL-13 in my Vampire. Eventually the Katana breaks its wing in a High G maneuver. Then, the CL-13 goes back to base and when he lands he changes something, so it shows their team as lost all hostiles, just for two seconds, but enough for their tickets to get bumped down. We HAD been even on tickets with our ground forces killing each other at an even pace.

The Sabre never went back to base, so eventually he ran out of fuel chasing and crashed, so now I'm the only player left, I've got plenty of fuel and ammo because I'd RTBd but there's no way I'm going to be able to take this guy out. He wastes time taking out our two B17 ai and I just turn tail and head back to base to get into AAA cover. There's only 2 ground forces left for both sides and the tickets are low, but they haven't moved in a few minutes. Right as I get 2 clicks from base he pops up 4 clicks behind me and closing fast.

Again, this guy is good and is energy fighting well. Lucky for me, he's converting all his speed into altitude after an approach, so I hit the deck and stick to the hillsides just to the right of the airfield. He keeps making approaches, but with my superior turning ability at a lower speed, and hugging the side of the mountain as he's making his passes I'm able to fend him off for 3 adrenaline filled minutes. At one point he got sloppy and I managed to get a miracle round into him at about a click away when he was climbing after a dive, but nothing serious. Just before he makes another pass, another case of ground forces killing each other occurs, but because he'd jumped out for two seconds they run out of tickets and I win.

It was a long, 30 minute match, but the last 5 minutes were a non-stop adrenaline roller coaster that made that round sooooo worth it.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    Just got nearly 2k rp in an arcade match.

Right after the game, daily comes up.

That would have been so much rp :(

I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Those are my favorite war thunder stories, @DaMoonRulz‌.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    So, what the heck is the deal with Russian planes being so much more effective than USA or Brit?

Like, I thought maybe I was imagining it, and I'm suspicious of people going "WAH X IS OP! ! 1! 1!". So I re rolled Russian for firsthand experience.

Sure enough it's a thing, though. They've got tier 1 fighters with 20 mm cannon, but even their 7.92mg seems vastly more effective than Brit reserve or tier 1 .303 mgs.

Is War Thunder only rock/paper/scissors balanced for realistic or sim?

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Russian planes are notoriously op for tier 1. Things soon even out in the later tiers when other nations start getting decent weaponry.

• Options
    Campy wrote: »
    Russian planes are notoriously op for tier 1. Things soon even out in the later tiers when other nations start getting decent weaponry.

Yeah, basically Tier 1+ Russian planes are Easy Mode. They out-turn, out-run, and out-gun basically everything else - and when something does out-turn them, for instance, the Russian plane still beats the hell out of it in speed and guns.

Like, I played a couple rounds in Russian biplanes not that long ago.

I felt dirty by the end of it.

• Options
    ... still better than my last couple Realistic missions in my F4U-1d Corsair, though.

Three straight matches against Japanese in New Guinea, three times spending ... 10 minutes? ... climbing at 180mph, only to end up with 6+ A6M-3s who have climbed even higher diving on me (most with the "Jet-Powered" title). Putting my nose down and running back for the base just doesn't work.

Why won't you let me love you, Corsair?

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    They've got tier 1 fighters with 20 mm cannon, but even their 7.92mg seems vastly more effective than Brit reserve or tier 1 .303 mgs.

It's because the MGs on the Russian starter biplanes don't have their rate of fire slowed down to account for the fact they're supposed to be synchronized to fire through the propeller like everybody else's MG's in that tier are. So assuming everything else is equal (and it's not), the Russians are still putting more bullets on target they ought to be and more than anybody else.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    From Wikipedia's entry on the Corsair:
    It was also found that the Corsair's starboard wing could stall and drop rapidly and without warning during slow carrier landings.

Hah! I think they actually have that programmed into WarThunder - I managed to pull that off during a landing the other day. Easing back on the throttle just short of the runway, right above stall speed, and *WHAM* instant aileron-roll into the deck.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    They've got tier 1 fighters with 20 mm cannon, but even their 7.92mg seems vastly more effective than Brit reserve or tier 1 .303 mgs.

It's because the MGs on the Russian starter biplanes don't have their rate of fire slowed down to account for the fact they're supposed to be synchronized to fire through the propeller like everybody else's MG's in that tier are. So assuming everything else is equal (and it's not), the Russians are still putting more bullets on target they ought to be and more than anybody else.

I was going to say, yeah, it's a noticeable ROF issue. Can't believe they haven't fixed this

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    timeline_summertime_madness_eng.jpg

From 12:30 GMT July 31st to 12:30 GMT August 6th

Missions to get premium tanks Pz.Kpfw. III Ausf. N and T-34-57 is available today!
    Destroy 90 player controlled vehicles while playing tanks or tank destroyers of USSR or Germany and get a premium tank of the respective nation.

From 02:00 to 06:00 GMT and from 16:00 to 20:00 GMT August 2nd and 3rd

x1.5 Silver Lions gain for all vehicles in each battle.
    From 00:01 GMT August 1st to 00:01 GMT August 4th

30% Discount for modifications research with Golden Eagles.
    From 02:00 to 06:00 GMT and from 16:00 to 20:00 GMT August 9th and 10th

x2 RP gain in each battle
    From August 4th to August 10th

Missions to get A6M2 (USA), Wellington Mk.I (Germany), I-16 type 28, Boomerang Mk.I, Bf.109 E-3 (Japan) premium aircraft.
    The mission details will be announced later, you can complete several missions and get different aircraft.

From August 8th to August 10th

Discount event! (terms to be announced).
    From August 11 to August 17th

Missions to get premium vehicles: Pz.Bfw. Jagdpanther, Su-122P, P-63A-10 (USSR), Fw.190 A-5 (Japan), La-5-Fn (Germany), Mustang Mk.IA (Britain), Spitfire Mk. IX (USA).
    The mission details will be announced later, you can complete several missions and get different vehicles.

From August 11 to August 17th

x4 RP gain for the first victory for all Nations.
    From August 15th to August 17th

Discount event! (terms to be announced).
    From August 15th to August 17th

Golden Battles! Earn up to 1000 ! The terms are yet to be announced.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Fixed an error where engine power was increased for jet planes using hydro-methanol mixture – F-80C and series F9F Panther
    Japanese bombers G5N1 and G8N1 have been preliminary tuned.
    Several client crashes have been fixed.
    Fixed bug on MacOS that was leading to a performance drop
    Oculus: added Development Kit 2 support; fixed SD.
    Fixed bug which lead to AI Anti-Air to be much stronger on Karelia and Carpathians, than on other maps.
    Both team respawn points on RB and SB Carpathians was moved so it will be impossible to fire at them from the castle point.
    Added mission to eliminate enemy reinforcement squadron captain on Carpathian map

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    23 vehicles in 4 games so far. Should be on the fast track to getting a shitty premium tank! :p

I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    The Russian Tier 3 tank up for grabs is NOT shitty. The 57mm t-34 is brutal. Just unlocked it.

The Tier 2 Panzer? Yeah... pass.

• Options
    http://warthunder.com/en/news/758/current/
    Testing new game mode "The Sky is for Heroes"

On August 5th 14:00 GMT to 19:00 GMT time on August 6th

Dear players!

From August the 5th at 14:00 GMT to 19:00 GMT on August the 6th, we will introduce a new “Event” which will include a new “spawn system” for RB in the Event mode named "The Sky is for Heroes", designed to encourage activity in combat. This will mean that a player may use the earned points to respawn in the current battle.

A player can earn points by destroying enemy vehicles, dealing damage as well as capturing zones. He can spend these points later on respawns with any vehicle (air or ground) set in the crew slots before the battle (as long as he has earned enough points).

Main Features of this mode:

After starting the session, each player in the team will receive an initial 400 Points which he spends to get the first vehicle to participate in the battle;
    Matchmaking is calculated according to the vehicle that has maximum BR in the line-up;
    If the player fails to earn enough points for respawn before his vehicle is destroyed, he withdraws from the battle;
    A team wins once it accomplishes the mission’s task or destroys all enemy vehicles - the same as for standard War Thunder missions.

Maximum requirements Points for reinforcement respawn:

Anti Air vehicle: 200
    Light or Medium tank: 300
    Tank Destroyer: 360
    Heavy Tank: 400
    Fighter: 600
    Attacker: 680
    Bomber: 800

The above given numbers are calculated if the vehicle you wish to respawn in has highest BR in the battle. If there are vehicles with higher BR than the vehicle you want to respawn in, you will need to spend less points.

E.g. if the BR of the battle is 3.7 it will cost you 300 points to respawn in T-34-57 and about 220 points to spawn in Т-34 1941.

Dear players, you may have already tested this type of mode during the CBT of Ground Forces and due to popular demand it has been considerably reworked and will be available for further testing.

Please feel free to give us feedback and suggestions in this thread. This will definitely help to improve the given mode.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Ooooh, that gamemode sounds like a really good idea. Might tempt me to jump back in!

• Options
    Oh my god, the Mig-3-34 tier II Russian is the BEST THING to fuck with rammers

2x 20mm nose-mounted cannon

set convergence for 600 or 700, annhiliate them, then fucking laugh at them in allchat for being stupid enough to try and ram or joust with one.

• Options
    10560359_814899395210692_1187266587170795791_o.jpg

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    TheflyingassTheflyingass Registered User regular
    Why do all the bots in the mission editor B line straight for me. I want a nice 40 on 40 battle, but half of them ignore the other fighters and just book it towards me.

Also, in Realistic, apparently blowing off someones wing doesn't count as a killing blow. Lost a kill credit because I mistakenly broke off wingless Fw 190 that I left for dead, only for some jackass to dive in and set it on fire.

• Options
    TheflyingassTheflyingass Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    So I hooked up an old flight stick my brother had laying around in the basement. Its a Saitek Cyborg Evo. Its kind of stiff, but it got the job done during a test flight. Managed to not only take off, but land as well! I need to figure out a look system that isn't trackIR-ish.

Edit: HA! Yeahno, track is needed. And fuck the AI in simulator mode, those assholes were doing inverted barrel rolls while still outrunning me.

Theflyingass on
This discussion has been closed.