As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Go west, young [travel] thread

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    :(I thought it was a decent pun

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    People 'round these here parts don't much cotton to jokes like that.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Hey, has anybody heard from smof? Has she made it down to SA and gotten setup with everything ok?
    Her blog hasn't been updated . . .

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    She was online today! I think she's probably just too busy.

• Options
    Stomping around and sampling the local wildlife

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Does my sister in law need to buy a hijab if she's going to be visiting London next month?
    Steven Emerson told the channel that in London "Muslim religious police" beat "anyone who doesn't dress according to Muslim, religious Muslim attire".

http://m.bbc.com/news/uk-england-30773297

Edit: Ah. Her parents have already asked my wife if it's safe for her sister to go to a " muslin country."

Since this is just too god damn funny, dude has now said that hearing that shit repeatedly was "like waterboarding".

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Somebody waterboard that man for a few hours and see if he still feels that way.

• Options
    Somebody waterboard that man for a few hours and see if he still feels that way.

Gladly

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    David Cameron of all people put it the right way: "clearly a complete idiot"

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Someone must tie his shoes for him in the morning. I'm amazed he doesn't need a prompt to breathe.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Apparently he nearly spat his porridge out. The only thing Dave, the representative of my country and me, and I will ever have in common, we both eat porridge.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    You need to look at the bright side of this. It will keep a certain group of my countrymen - the ones who only watch Fox news - from visiting England.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    They probably weren't that likely to go in the first place, though. For one thing, they'd have to figure out which direction it's in.

• Options
    A guy who's going to be a doctor once asked me if there were really sharia law zones in the UK

• Options
    I'm declaring one in my kitchen as we speak.

• Options
    A guy who's going to be a doctor once asked me if there were really sharia law zones in the UK

No, no, he was asking about Cheri Alaah. She's a huge international pop star with stores just for her merchandise called Cheri Alaah Zones.

It's a common misunderstanding.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    @fishman Your City is pleasing to me.

Had lunch near Arty Bees. Ice Cream by town hall. And soon dinner on Queens wharf.

Very pleasant first day.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    They probably weren't that likely to go in the first place, though. For one thing, they'd have to figure out which direction it's in.
    Like all foreign places, it's in a hellward direction.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Not gonna lie, that works for me

Time to visit Scotland

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Oh sure, I've been here for years but now you hear about sexy dogs you suddenly want to visit.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Crazy Fyndir?

• Options
    My sister got me a souvenir plot in a Scottish bumblebee reserve for Christmas

Yay bumblebees

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    Crazy Fyndir?

He's not crazy.

He's an Ent.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Hello. Yes, I'm here. I'm alive. Internet is terrible and I'm super busy. But it's awesome, I love it. Have a pussycat.

hd826ZF.jpg

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Oh my goodness! There were baby seals! I'll share photos when we get home.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Fyndir wrote: »

i don't remember seeing a tree ghost while in scotland but that's about it.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular

Did you go out to Palliser? Did you stop at the Pinnacles and walk the Dimholt road?

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Fishman wrote: »

Did you go out to Palliser? Did you stop at the Pinnacles and walk the Dimholt road?

We did indeed go to the Cape. We missed the Pinnacles on the way back, sadly. I saw them going in, but they weren't sign-posted on the way out.

But that drive. Holy hell.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Yeah, Cape Palliser Road is awesome.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Finally back home. Got some epic photos of this amazing country, an awesome video of baby seals, and lots of photos of the food that we had.

Truly an amazing trip, a fantastic wedding with great friends, and a great holiday. Cannot wait to head back down that way again.

• Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    is anyone in here familiar with working holiday visas? i'm planning a trip through europe starting in the spring, and i'd like to hold off on actually applying for a visa until i've been to a few countries and decided on one i want to stay in a while. is this a feasible way of doing things? i'm canadian by the by

• Options
    I did a working holiday visa as my first entrance into NZ. It was for a year and I was allowed only temporary positions. Which wasn't ideal for me as I was looking to eventually stay in NZ (which I'm still working on). But they can be a useful way to get into a place and see a lot, while still having the option of working to earn more touristy spendy money.

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    Atheraal wrote: »
    is anyone in here familiar with working holiday visas? i'm planning a trip through europe starting in the spring, and i'd like to hold off on actually applying for a visa until i've been to a few countries and decided on one i want to stay in a while. is this a feasible way of doing things? i'm canadian by the by

As a Canadian you should be able to stay in any European country for upto 90 days as a visitor. Different countries might operate a different length of time but that seems to be the amount US/Canada/European countries allow people to stay. Id check the related countries immigration website though to be sure.

No idea about working holiday visas though.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options

Relevant to this thread maybe: Canadian passports under black light.

Normal light:
    passport1_zpsb19aca02.png

Black light:
    passport4_zps99ec8c9b.png

Normal light:
    passportchaplain_zps760c6957.png

Black light:
    champlain2_zps49649ee4.png

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    I was hoping under blacklight he would be shredding on electric guitar

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    I was hoping under blacklight he would be shredding on electric guitar

It still ended up better than the original concept, which is that the black light revealed Stephen Harper cuddling with kittens.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Relevant to this thread maybe: Canadian passports under black light.

Normal light:
    passport1_zpsb19aca02.png

Black light:
    passport4_zps99ec8c9b.png

Normal light:
    passportchaplain_zps760c6957.png

Black light:
    champlain2_zps49649ee4.png

I'm glad we don't have that in the US. The last thing I need is customs finding all the semen stains on my passport.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Atheraal wrote: »

As a Canadian you should be able to stay in any European country for upto 90 days as a visitor. Different countries might operate a different length of time but that seems to be the amount US/Canada/European countries allow people to stay. Id check the related countries immigration website though to be sure.

No idea about working holiday visas though.

Not quite - you can stay in the Schengen area for up to three months, but that encompasses quite a few countries. It does not include the uk, which has a 6 month limit, but many border officials will get antsy if you try and circumvent the stay limit by ducking out of the region and coming back in. It can be possible, though.

The availability /existence of guest visas and temporary working visas varies significantly by country. In most cases you will have to apply for one before you travel, from your place of permanent residence. So unless you're willing to so a scouting trip, return home and then aplly, I'd advise against coming over until you've figured out where you want to go.

If you're under 27(? Maybe 29?), the uk had a good working holiday visa program (called youth worker visa or somethibg like that) which is pretty much ideal for commonwealth citizens. Remember that Europe is easy to get around in once you're here, so even if your visa is for one country you don't have to stay there indefinitely.

• Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    thanks for the replies everyone! sounds like i should just apply for the visa right now. i do plan on mostly being in the schengen area, maybe i should apply in spain. i hear they're pretty liberal about squatting there and there's some interesting culture behind it.. has anyone stayed in a squat while traveling?

edit: nevermind, apparently spain and canada are kinda iffy on their visa terms. maybe i'll just go with the uk, since everywhere else seems to be only one year maximum duration

Atheraal on