As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Reality is merely an [REDACTED], albeit a very [Spooky] one

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    have you seen Japanese hopping ghosts

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »
    have you seen Japanese hopping ghosts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hsien-Ko?wprov=sfla1

I forgot how awesome the darkstalkers games are. I had the record on a local arcade machine with Victor for like three goddamn years.

• Options
    ContinentalContinental Invisible Presence Melty Molten GalaxyRegistered User regular
    I've never heard of the hoppin ghosts. But it sounds like a fun game.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    cevrSb7.jpg

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Maybe contracting with Drunken Builders Inc. wasn't the best idea

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    ZellpherZellpher Registered User regular
    What's weirding me out is the carpet discoloration. There's a lot of foot traffic?

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Winchester house?

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Zellpher wrote: »
    What's weirding me out is the carpet discoloration. There's a lot of foot traffic?

That looks more like there used to be stair covers on there, for at least a couple years.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Reminds me of Rose Red

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Got a $30 gift card for Barnes and Noble for my birthday, would like some recommendations of any good scary books. Doesn't have to specifically follow a specific genre like ghosts or sci-fi, but I would like stuff that would make me feel legitimately afraid and/or unnerved.

The only book that's managed to do that for me was House of Leaves. John Dies at the End had its moments too, and though not an actual novel, Song of Saya managed to make me shut the game off in the first ten minutes (not even Silent Hill managed to do that for me).

Recommendations I've gotten so far are Hostage to the Devil, which I've got in cart, Master and Margarita, which doesn't exactly sound like horror in the synopsis, and a couple others. Uzumaki is also under consideration, having only read the first volume. And of course everyone is tossing in HP Lovecraft, though the one story I've read so far (Call of Cthulu) didn't do much for me.

Anyways, give me your best recommendations please. There's a couple of Memorial Day coupons that expire on the 30th, so I figure I should get in on it now.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    The most legit unsettling Lovecraft story for me was The Colour Out Of Space
    The Whisperer in Darkness also sets a great atmosphere

You might want to check those out, and you can probably find them standalone for free

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    The works of Lovecraft can be found for free online, so if you aren't particular you can just save some money on that.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Rats in the Walls and Cold Air are my big standards for Lovecraft, I think

I'll second Grey Ghost's suggestions too

• Options
    Got a $30 gift card for Barnes and Noble for my birthday, would like some recommendations of any good scary books. Doesn't have to specifically follow a specific genre like ghosts or sci-fi, but I would like stuff that would make me feel legitimately afraid and/or unnerved.

The only book that's managed to do that for me was House of Leaves. John Dies at the End had its moments too, and though not an actual novel, Song of Saya managed to make me shut the game off in the first ten minutes (not even Silent Hill managed to do that for me).

Recommendations I've gotten so far are Hostage to the Devil, which I've got in cart, Master and Margarita, which doesn't exactly sound like horror in the synopsis, and a couple others. Uzumaki is also under consideration, having only read the first volume. And of course everyone is tossing in HP Lovecraft, though the one story I've read so far (Call of Cthulu) didn't do much for me.

Anyways, give me your best recommendations please. There's a couple of Memorial Day coupons that expire on the 30th, so I figure I should get in on it now.

The Ballad of Black Tom by Victor LaValle is cool and lovecrafty.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular

It veers into somewhat goofy mood-breaking territory occasionally, but The Shining actually unnerved me quite a bit. Similarly to you, the only book to ever do that to me other than The Shining was House of Leaves, so maybe it'd be up your alley?

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I enjoyed Song of Kali and The Terror by Dan Simmons if youre up for long reads

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Bail on Lovecraft if you wanna get spooked, he's not actually scary. Primarily interesting in how it allows you to dissect the kind of fears that are fueled by white supremacy; "Shadow Over Innsmouth" is about miscegenation and finding out you are not 'pure,' "The Rats in the Walls" comes from a similar place and also might be his straight-up most racist story, "The Colour Out of Space" and "The Whisperer in the Darkness" and a few others are kind of about the loss of white identity in the face of pressure from exterior forces. A fascinating read if you go in with the right attitude, and they have some scary accoutrements, but not really what you'd call chilling

For pop horror I really do like Stephen King. The most frightening King book is probably Pet Sematary, and then maybe IT, though I also have a deep spooky affection for Duma Key.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Oh, wait, I do have a really good scary book rec

A Head Full of Ghosts is one of the best books I've read this year, you should definitely check it out

I'll also throw in Gutshot, which is a short story book that isn't always scary in content, but is frequently very unnerving, and After The People Lights Have Gone Off, another short story book with some more direct horror elements

Straightzi on
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Bail on Lovecraft if you wanna get spooked, he's not actually scary. Primarily interesting in how it allows you to dissect the kind of fears that are fueled by white supremacy; "Shadow Over Innsmouth" is about miscegenation and finding out you are not 'pure,' "The Rats in the Walls" comes from a similar place and also might be his straight-up most racist story, "The Colour Out of Space" and "The Whisperer in the Darkness" and a few others are kind of about the loss of white identity in the face of pressure from exterior forces. A fascinating read if you go in with the right attitude, and they have some scary accoutrements, but not really what you'd call chilling

For pop horror I really do like Stephen King. The most frightening King book is probably Pet Sematary, and then maybe IT, though I also have a deep spooky affection for Duma Key.

I just wanna jump in here and say that, while this analysis of Lovecraft's stories is valid (he was very racist) you can also totally just read them as weird tales and they work pretty well. I'd disagree that they aren't spooky, but your mileage may vary on that one.
    That said, King is one of the finest horror writers of our time, and Pet Sematary is one of the scariest books I've ever read. IT also sticks with me, and spooks me all over again every time I go back to it. There's a chapter towards the very end that's incredibly divisive though, and for some people it ruins the whole story, but I'd still recommend it.

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    Yeah, Lovecraft is problematic, and his writing is certainly of a style that doesn't jive with a lot of people

But I found him plenty scary when I read him, and I don't think he has an equal in his specific little niche

If he doesn't work for you, either due to style or context, I respect that

But he's still one of the greats for a reason

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    King's true grasp on terror is conveyed best through his short stories imho.

On one hand they feel very unsatisfying because the wordlbuilding is compartimented, on the other hand this allows him to cut straight to the good stuff with minimal build-up.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Zellpher wrote: »
    It looks like there is a secret door in the wall.

Probably for employees or service. But maybe spooky ghosts!

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    bwanie wrote: »
    King's true grasp on terror is conveyed best through his short stories imho.

One one hand they feel very unsatisfying because the wordlbuilding is compartimented, on the other hand this allows him to cut straight to the good stuff with minimal build-up.

I'm not that great. Still a long ways from being a master.

. . .

Oh you mean that other guy.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Panda4You wrote: »

That one ended up as an SCP
    http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-2501

The Hardiman was a really cool design

• Options
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

I like that they used the Kids in the Hall joke "I'm crushing your head!" as the basis for this scip

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Thanks for the suggestions. Here's what I ended up ordering:
    MnIGDp7.jpg

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    I liked a Head Full of Ghosts a lot, but
    I thought that having the narrator fail to realize the truth behind the origin of the poison was a missed opportunity

Yes, it was fun to put it together myself, but the book feels incomplete without the narrator fully understanding her sister's role in what happened

• Options
    ZellpherZellpher Registered User regular
    Not a big fan of hostage to the devil, but YMMV.

• Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    The Shining in book form was pretty scary for me as a kid

I find it hard to find actually scary books nowadays

Also, I like how it's implied that SCP could crush the sun or the moon

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    The Shining in book form was pretty scary for me as a kid

Reading it as an adult, closer to Jack's age than Danny's, gave me a whole new perspective on Jack as a character. When I was younger, Jack seemed like an OK person who had some very powerful demons that ended up getting the best of him. Reading it as an adult who's dealt with anger problems myself, viewing Jack as a peer, makes me feel a lot less sympathetic towards him. It also scares me in a whole new way, now that I'm getting to the point in my life where kids are becoming a real possibility.

That was a little more rambly than I meant it to be, but I'm gonna leave it here anyway.

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular

Now in my head I'm picturing an MTF unit using this to try and contain some of the bigger SCiPs during a containment breach. Shy Guy and the Lizard that Hates but just smashed down to buy time. Would the lizard evolve to overcome the pressure being exerted on him. Or would it be able to become unto like slime and ooze away from the area of influence.

And Shy Guy. Nothing has been shown to ever stop it during an event. The only method is to kill the thing it is hunting before it becomes an uncontrollable memetic effect. Would it just straight up brace against the force and push through?

• Options
    I thought that having the narrator fail to realize the truth behind the origin of the poison was a missed opportunity

Yes, it was fun to put it together myself, but the book feels incomplete without the narrator fully understanding her sister's role in what happened

I think the ambiguity there is fun, honestly, especially in a book with a hell of a lot of ambiguity
    My biggest issue is the blog posts, which I like in theory, but end up being too long and too obviously her

I was wishing there were six shorter blog post chapters (one for each episode of the show), that maybe kept some things a bit more private a bit longer

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular

Now in my head I'm picturing an MTF unit using this to try and contain some of the bigger SCiPs during a containment breach. Shy Guy and the Lizard that Hates but just smashed down to buy time. Would the lizard evolve to overcome the pressure being exerted on him. Or would it be able to become unto like slime and ooze away from the area of influence.

And Shy Guy. Nothing has been shown to ever stop it during an event. The only method is to kill the thing it is hunting before it becomes an uncontrollable memetic effect. Would it just straight up brace against the force and push through?

There was an attempt to terminate 682 with a device that had total control of the laws of physics inside an attached chamber. It had a grand old time.

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

I think the ambiguity there is fun, honestly, especially in a book with a hell of a lot of ambiguity
    My biggest issue is the blog posts, which I like in theory, but end up being too long and too obviously her

I was wishing there were six shorter blog post chapters (one for each episode of the show), that maybe kept some things a bit more private a bit longer
    Yeah, the blog posts weren't my favorite

The voice in those was just grating and over the top, like a parody of the way teens talk on the Internet

It's a shame, because the idea of the narrator attempting to see the show from a third person perspective is a great one

• Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    What's creepy about takin a shower

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Bail on Lovecraft if you wanna get spooked, he's not actually scary.

What the buh

Yes. Yes they are. Colour Out of Space and The Dunwhich Horror are creepy as hell.

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Makes you think:
    FOQBg8o.jpg

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Ok... ok

possibly new favourite SCP here. Partly because of the world building on an existing entry (SCP 231, one of the more well-known fucked up entries) but mostly because of the story telling through formatting. I don't think I've seen another SCP entry that mimics the different formats of viewing entries based on security clearance. That's super cool.

Also a band made a song about these entries I guess
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_v4FjGPoZE

#pipe on
This discussion has been closed.