As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Internet Policy] - Restricting the series of tubes

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    That is bullshit. God I hope they get lots of shit and are force to back away from that.

Again, this is what happens when you put industry lobbyists in charge of the organization that's supposed to serve as the industry's regulator and watchdog

fcc-round-robin.jpg

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Yeah, would have been nice if that shithead Gingrich hadn't knee-capped the one government agency (name currently escapes), that would have given us a nice stable of non-big business ass kissing lobbyists. Seriously fuck the "free market will fix it" wankfest that has taken hold of this country because the free market seems to just fuck people over, for the benefit of few shitty elites.

Guess I'll be firing off some more e-mails to my Congress critters. God do I hate sending shit off to that shithead Cantor because I'm pretty sure I'm wasting my time and it's really fucking tempting to call him a fucking idiot in the e-mails.

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Did the President know about this or is he in the dark?

• Options
    About Wheeler being a lobbyist for the industry he'd now be in charge of regulating?

I would have to imagine so

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »
    Mill wrote: »
    That is bullshit. God I hope they get lots of shit and are force to back away from that.

Again, this is what happens when you put industry lobbyists in charge of the organization that's supposed to serve as the industry's regulator and watchdog

fcc-round-robin.jpg

The technical term for this is regulatory capture.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Did the President know about this or is he in the dark?
    I cannot wait for Obama to say how against this he is and proceed to do absolutely nothing.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Like I said earlier.

Hope everyone enjoys paying for their 'Gold' or 'Platinum' or whatever packages to maintain a half decent connection.

In fairness, I guess it was naive to think that we'd have contemporary levels of Internet / communications access for very long. It's sort of amazing that we've held onto it until now.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    I can barely afford my internet connection now, I can't wait until I really will be priced out of having internet at all :( .

sig.gif
  • Options
    Lovely wrote: »
    I can barely afford my internet connection now, I can't wait until I really will be priced out of having internet at all :( .

Oh no, don't worry - you can still have your Internet connection. They'd hate to not be able to squeeze what they still can out of you.

You'll get the 'Budget' package, with speeds up to at least 50 kbps! With included access to up to 6 websites of your choosing!

...What? Oh, you didn't know? Yeah - net neutrality was one of the things preventing ISPs from... err... presenting users with a sensible browsing experience catered to their interests. But I'm sure you don't need access to most of the Internet anyway, right? And if you did, don't worry; ISP content paywalls I'm sure will be totally and completely reasonable.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Keep in mind who is on our side (I would hope): Microsoft and Google, among others. There will be blood.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »

Oh no, don't worry - you can still have your Internet connection. They'd hate to not be able to squeeze what they still can out of you.

You'll get the 'Budget' package, with speeds up to at least 50 kbps! With included access to up to 6 websites of your choosing!

...What? Oh, you didn't know? Yeah - net neutrality was one of the things preventing ISPs from... err... presenting users with a sensible browsing experience catered to their interests. But I'm sure you don't need access to most of the Internet anyway, right? And if you did, don't worry; ISP content paywalls I'm sure will be totally and completely reasonable.

Websites packaged like channels. Its a dream come true for them

Hail Hydra!

• Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular

*WEEP* !

sig.gif
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    as useless as these are, i'd ask you all to sign it anyways: http://wh.gov/lwhr8

it's one of those We the People petitions. if it garners enough signatures, the Obama Administration has to respond.

but really, if you want to have the most impact, contact your Congress critters. let them know as voting Americans that you won't put up with this nonsense.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    There's another floating aroudn as well: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/maintain-true-net-neutrality-protect-freedom-information-united-states/9sxxdBgy

But seriously, write your congress critters. I'll probably get something written up tomorrow [got some assignments I've got to get in tonight before midnight]

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    my congressman is

Paul "starve the poor" Ryan

I suppose I can contact him

• Options
    Magus wrote:
    Keep in mind who is on our side (I would hope): Microsoft and Google, among others. There will be blood.

That's not quite correct; some of the upper management of Google & Microsoft, including Google's CEO, are in favor of net neutrality for ethical reasons. Google & Microsoft have no business reason to fight for it. The large players in the market could probably leverage it to their advantage, in fact.

Net neutrality was probably never going to last, given the demographic with the most leverage in Washington.
    Phyphor wrote:

Hail Hydra!

I mean, it's sort of amazing that we've gone without anything like that on the Internet side for so long, isn't it? Most other telecommunications systems have the 'package' model... in fact, I can't think of any other aspect of telecom where content isn't gated & user access isn't tiered.

It's almost as if net neutrality was a precious piece of legislation or something.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Well this sucks.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Magus wrote:

That's not quite correct; some of the upper management of Google & Microsoft, including Google's CEO, are in favor of net neutrality for ethical reasons. Google & Microsoft have no business reason to fight for it. The large players in the market could probably leverage it to their advantage, in fact.

Net neutrality was probably never going to last, given the demographic with the most leverage in Washington.
    Phyphor wrote:

Hail Hydra!

I mean, it's sort of amazing that we've gone without anything like that on the Internet side for so long, isn't it? Most other telecommunications systems have the 'package' model... in fact, I can't think of any other aspect of telecom where content isn't gated & user access isn't tiered.

It's almost as if net neutrality was a precious piece of legislation or something.

This is the attitude that allows the telco s to get away with so much shit here that they wouldn't even dream of attempting in Europe or Asia.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Magus` wrote: »
    This is nothing new. We basically handed over radio airwaves and TV to megacorps, and heads didn't exactly roll over that.

There will only be blood when Comcast starts pricing in pints.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Well, shit, then?

• Options
    Magus` wrote: »
    Well, shit, then?

Basically.

When the overwhelming reaction to the news about the legislation's endangerment from the demographic it would most impact was, '...huh? soz tldr. man liara so hoooooot. fapfapfapfapfap' it's kind of difficult to be anything other than cynically pissed-off. There should've been a lot of noise over this, and there just wasn't.

instead we'll just get a bunch of childish whining after the fact, when price structures have changed, about how the apathetic consumer was totes failed by the system.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    The EFF sticks their snout into an issue they only half understand, and proceed to muddy the water.

(Background: The federal government has been forcing banks to do a better job of not dealing with criminals, after things like the HSBC scandal a few years back. The banking industry, never seeing a regulation they didn't absolutely detest, has been engaging in a "okay, you want enforcement? We'll show you enforcement" strategy where they are denying banking services to anyone who has a profession that might be in any sense questionable. It's a pure strong-arm tactic meant to force the government to back down, and stuff like the EFF piece just give banks cover to blame the government.)

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    So what can realistically be done to stop this and what major players, who are capable of putting up a good fight, are on our side? Or are we thinking that nothing short of massive protests will actually bring back net neutrality?

• Options
    ObiFett wrote: »
    So what can realistically be done to stop this and what major players, who are capable of putting up a good fight, are on our side? Or are we thinking that nothing short of massive protests will actually bring back net neutrality?

Right now writing congress critters and protests are the top things that individuals can do. I know Sanders has been raising the issue in his PR stuff lately

We can hope that maybe we'll see one asshole giant start filing lawsuits against the other asshole giants in favor of net neutrality where it serves their interests that the latter asshole giants don't discriminate content. That's probably me being cynical about what the actual method of fixing the issue is going to be.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    What does this mean for gaming? Could providers also sell priority to bigger companies, effectively destroying the indie online gaming world?

ObiFett on
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Giving what assholes most of the industry are, I'm pretty sure it's safe to say they'll leverage fees against content providers that aren't part of their company because "fuck you, we only care about the bottom line and we see no reason not to charge you." They'll figure that the content providers will pass on the costs to the consumers for them, so that they won't have to take the heat for fucking everyone over.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    What does this mean for gaming? Could providers also sell priority to bigger companies, effectively destroying the indie online gaming world?

Eh. Aside from Xbox gold/PSN I doubt most of the providers notice online gaming much. So of course, this means it will just get relegated into the general "unpreferred" traffic pool. Which they now have an incentive to make kinda shitty so companies want to give them cash to get the hell out of it...

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    They may not notice at the end user side of the connection, but they damned sure notice at the server end of the connection.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I think the thing that really gets me is that language like this gets used:
    On May 15, the FCC will decide to reinstate laws that would “allow companies like Disney, Google or Netflix to pay Internet service providers like Comcast and Verizon for special, faster lanes to send video and other content to their customers,” the New York Times reports.

Yes, "allow" service providers to pay the monopoly for faster speeds. Because it's surely not going to be a situation of "pay or face downgrades from what you're facing now"

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options

But as Wheeler, Werbach, and Weiser concede, he will permit paid fast lanes. He will even permit cable and phone companies to offer fast lanes exclusively to one competitor and not to others. The only real restriction is that fast lanes can’t be offered exclusively to a company also owned by the cable or phone company. So Comcast wouldn’t be able to offer a fast lane only to NBC.com—which it owns—but could offer it only to Netflix or only to Apple, and nobody else, under the terms of his proposed rule.
    So the chairman hasn’t changed his views in face of the backlash, but he is providing some excuses for his proposal. Here are the four main justifications:

1. It’s better than nothing. The chairman and the professors are saying that we should be happy that Wheeler is guaranteeing a slow lane because without that guarantee, the carriers could block sites and there’d be no rules against it. But “better than nothing” shouldn’t cut it. We should ask instead whether we are getting the right network neutrality rule—one that would preserve all the equality, innovation, and free expression we’ve seen on the Internet. Or whether Wheeler is fulfilling President Obama’s network neutrality promise (which is no fast lanes), rather than whether his order is better than a lump of coal in a stocking.

2. The other options aren’t that great, either. The chairman and the professors argue that the only alternative to allowing paid fast lanes and slow lanes is some rule against “unreasonable discrimination.” Wheeler suggests that the “unreasonable discrimination” rule would be flimsy and could lead to abuse. But the FCC can define some things in advance as reasonable or unreasonable. It did so in the 2010 order, saying that it doubted paid fast lanes could be reasonable and that the language was so “ominous” that the court effectively treated it as a ban.

3. My heart’s in the right place. The chairman emphasizes that his proposal is intended to allow “no unreasonable discrimination.” Werbach and Weiser claim that the chairman’s plan would stop the carriers from “arbitrarily favor[ing] certain applications” and require them to offer the “same terms” to all. But a court decision in January made it clear, under the FCC’s legal own conclusions, that the commission must allow cable and phone companies to charge “similarly-situated edge providers [the court’s term for websites] completely different prices,” and can charge websites for an exclusive fast lane “while limiting all other edge providers to a more standard service,” known as a slow lane. The FCC can’t generally require the “same terms” for all.

4. It’s just too hard to do net neutrality. Wheeler has said that he wants to get new rules on the books soon and not get tied up in court—“opening an entirely new [legal] approach” just “invites delay.” So basically, he wants to move quickly—to authorize slow lanes on the Internet. That is just giving up. Plus, he will be sued anyway, either once he adopts rules or anytime the FCC ever tries to enforce them, when a startup’s business may be on the line.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    wow

I mean to keep everything perfect, all you'd have to do is 'nothing'

jesus, if he's that hard up for things to fuck with, we all need to buy him some model airplanes and tell him not to come into work tomorrow.

• Options
    So the chairman hasn’t changed his views in face of the backlash, but he is providing some excuses for his proposal. Here are the four main justifications:

1. It’s better than nothing.
    2. The other options aren’t that great, either.
    3. My heart’s in the right place.
    4. It’s just too hard to do net neutrality.

I literally have no words for this

• Options

1. It’s better than nothing.
    2. The other options aren’t that great, either.
    3. My heart’s in the right place.
    4. It’s just too hard to do net neutrality.

I literally have no words for this

I have words

they probably violate the forum rules though

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    I just don't understand how someone who makes those kinds of excuses ends up in a place of power like he is in.

I just...arghblaghgaghr

• Options
    I just don't understand how someone who makes those kinds of excuses ends up in a place of power like he is in.

I just...arghblaghgaghr

Connections and strong lobbying ties and a belief in Washington that people tied to the industry will know how best to regulate it despite any and all conflicts of interest?

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Mother Jones has a good piece up about how the FCC came around to scrapping Net Neutrality regulations:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/05/charts-why-fcc-ditching-net-neutrality

one bit:
    Obama's first pick to lead the FCC, Julius Genachowski, was initially a strong proponent of net neutrality. Genachowski made a video explaining why he wanted to reclassify ISPs as "telecommunications services," a legally bulletproof way of preserving an open internet that had long been favored by consumer groups. But he ultimately backed off in the face of an onslaught of lobbying by ISPs. By then their main trade group, the National Cable and Telecommunications Association (NCTA), was spending about 95 times more money lobbying the FCC than the Internet Association, which represents the tech companies that favor net neutrality.

Last May, two months after Genachowski stepped down, Obama replaced him with Tom Wheeler, a veteran telecommunications lobbyist who'd served as president of the NCTA before taking the helm of the Cellular Telecommunications and Internet Association (CITA), the lobbying arm of the wireless industry. Obama called him "the Bo Jackson of telecom." The New Yorker's John Cassidy suggested that a more apt sports metaphor might have been "to compare him to one of the lawyers who helped finagle a lucrative anti-trust exemption for professional football and baseball."

And a couple interesting images
    FCC-lobbying-illustrator.jpg
    Tom-Wheeler%27s-Path-To-The-FCC_0.jpg

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014

Don't worry, it's not you who has to pay to get the fast lane, it's content providers. It's what they're doing to Netflix right now, which is that they intentionally drop packets from streaming services and then claim that they can pay more to get a more reliable connection to the people.

So, it's not you who has to pay. It's YouTube, Netflix, Google, Microsoft, Apple, Blizzard, Valve, EA, Hulu, ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, CNN, HBO, GOG, Bing, Yahoo, Penny-Arcade, Ars Technica, Wired, Gizmodo, Buzzfeed, Reddit, Wikipedia, SomethingAwful, Cracked, Aero, Amazon, Etsy, Ebay, WalMart, Target, Centas, Level 2, every server farm in existence, every supercomputer, every university, every government agency, ect. ect.
    Then you have to pay more for those services. So they aren't charging you, they're charging content creators.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    So hey, after I did a speech about net neutrality in one of my courses I solicited the audience for write letters that they, or I, would mail out to Tom Wheeler. I got 2/3 of the audience to write a quick letter to him telling him to regulate ISPs as common carriers, and sent them out through the mail.

May I suggest that others do the same?
    Here's the business address.
    Tom Wheeler
    Federal Communications Commission
    445 12th Street, SW
    Washington, DC 20554

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

Don't worry, it's not you who has to pay to get the fast lane, it's content providers. It's what they're doing to Netflix right now, which is that they intentionally drop packets from streaming services and then claim that they can pay more to get a more reliable connection to the people.

So, it's not you who has to pay. It's YouTube, Netflix, Google, Microsoft, Apple, Blizzard, Valve, EA, Hulu, ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, CNN, HBO, GOG, Bing, Yahoo, Penny-Arcade, Ars Technica, Wired, Gizmodo, Buzzfeed, Reddit, Wikipedia, SomethingAwful, Cracked, Aero, Amazon, Etsy, Ebay, WalMart, Target, Centas, Level 2, every server farm in existence, every supercomputer, every university, every government agency, ect. ect.
    Then you have to pay more for those services. So they aren't charging you, they're charging content creators.

Just gonna say that the spin on that price hike seems a bit sketchy. Given the portion of Netflix's costs related to content (rather than bandwidth), and given the money they've been spending to get new content, it seems a bit of a stretch to say that a $1 increase is because of Comcast/Verizon/etc. peering disputes. I'd go so far as to say it's more likely that if it was just these direct peering deals, Netflix probably would have absorbed the cost.

Their rates were going up anyway. Inflation alone would have had them going up in the next year, most likely, even absent the push to get content. But, by doing the increase now, they've managed to convince the internet that it's all Comcast's (and Verizon's, and other large ISPs) fault. Stinks of bullshit to me, regardless of what side of that fight you're on. Brilliant PR move, though.