As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[RUST] - If you build it, they will come. And then they will murder you. (New PA Server!)

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Cousy wrote: »
    Can we hold off on removing the doorshare mod until the community at large gives feedback whether the passcode system is burdensome or not.

I fear that entering bases will be quite awful as the safest way to defend yourself against raids is a bunch of doors, and if each of those doors has a passcode you have to enter; it's going to be really tedious.

Obviously you're in charge so it's your call, but I'd wait a few days and see how it's going before removing the mod.
    Once they’ve entered the passcode they can open and close the door until you change it.

It's a one time thing, and setting a general pass code anyone can set or use is a huge help in building the bases. Right now I have to place every door, as well as make sure I'm around to share door control with everyone that wants to use the metal base.

• Options
    iamthepiemaniamthepieman Registered User regular
    It also leads to some interesting gameplay possibilities - treachery, intrigue, backstabbing.

• Options
    VoroVoro Registered User regular
    Everything I'm reading says it's only a 4 digit combo, which is disappointing. You'll still want multiple combinations used within your base.

XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    It also leads to some interesting gameplay possibilities - treachery, intrigue, backstabbing.

Yeah this is going to make spies a real thing like in Eve Online.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Voro wrote: »
    Everything I'm reading says it's only a 4 digit combo, which is disappointing. You'll still want multiple combinations used within your base.

I'm wondering about the feasibility of hacking the door combo. That's 10,000 combinations. Even with an uninterrupted few hours, that's just obscenely improbable. And then there's the fact that anything worth spending the better part of a day trying to get into will probably have some people coming and going, so the odds of getting that much time alone to try every combination is slim to none.

Basically, brute force is pointless (and far less interesting) compared to C4 and/or double agents.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

I'm wondering about the feasibility of hacking the door combo. That's 10,000 combinations. Even with an uninterrupted few hours, that's just obscenely improbable. And then there's the fact that anything worth spending the better part of a day trying to get into will probably have some people coming and going, so the odds of getting that much time alone to try every combination is slim to none.

Basically, brute force is pointless (and far less interesting) compared to C4 and/or double agents.

On the other hand, 0000, 1111, 2222, 3333 and short sequences will be used by sooooo many people out of laziness.

• Options

Unless you have regular combo changes for the outer door, they don't have to do it in a single sitting. Plus, I'm fairly certain we all know at least one person on the server who is bored enough to keep trying combinations. Oh, and there are many times when there are maybe 4 people on the server, if that.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Just one request guys. Please don't use your actual real life internet passwords as your door passwords. I hope that doesn't need to be said, but there it is anyway.

Also, I got video of the run in with the bandits last night that's semi-entertaining. Didn't realize all that was going on at the same time the battle-arena was happening until I watched the chat logs during this. It does reinforce though that someone in that tower must have been communicating with bacon's crew that we were over there. I think he was full of crap saying he had nothing to do with shooting at us earlier on. I'll post a link once it's done processing on youtube.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    My thoughts on that are that if it takes someone 12 hours of uninterrupted testing to guess your password on a door, then awesome, they deserve whatever's inside due to their sheer willpower / lack of a life outside of video games. It certainly takes a LOT longer to breach than it would with a little C4.

• Options
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Just one request guys. Please don't use your actual real life internet passwords as your door passwords. I hope that doesn't need to be said, but there it is anyway.

Last 4 of my social, all day, erry day.

• Options
    While you all are waiting for the update to be available you can vote for the server here: http://toprustservers.com/server/107

Please.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Already done and it won't let me keep voting, bastards

• Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    I've never heard of an online password that would allow only four characters. That is the definition of 'insecure.'

• Options
    CousyCousy Registered User regular
    If you read the update carefully it says, "Once they’ve entered the passcode they can open and close the door until you change it."

This makes me think that you enter the passcode the first time you open the door, and then it behaves just like a door without a passcode for you.

That's better than I thought. Sweet. ETA on update? Steam updated me before I could turn it off.

• Options
    The Oxide developers are actively working on updating the mod.
    http://forum.rustoxide.com/threads/24-01-2014-server-client-update.788/

No word on when the mod will be made available to me via my server provider.

• Options
    cmsamocmsamo Registered User regular
    Also, I got video of the run in with the bandits last night that's semi-entertaining. Didn't realize all that was going on at the same time the battle-arena was happening until I watched the chat logs during this. It does reinforce though that someone in that tower must have been communicating with bacon's crew that we were over there. I think he was full of crap saying he had nothing to do with shooting at us earlier on. I'll post a link once it's done processing on youtube.

This is what annoyed me. That guy built a tower right alongside a major travel route, and sits there shooting at people, only to squeal like a girl, deny it all outright, swear at people in voice comms, and call in his mates, rather than say 'yes I shot at you all, and I will shoot all the time' or 'yes, I shot at you, but we are cool now'.

That's life in Rust, I guess. I just credit people with a bit more honour than they actually have.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Shogun wrote: »
    I've never heard of an online password that would allow only four characters. That is the definition of 'insecure.'

Okay, replace "online passwords" with "ATM PIN #". You get the idea.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    cmsamo wrote: »

This is what annoyed me. That guy built a tower right alongside a major travel route, and sits there shooting at people, only to squeal like a girl, deny it all outright, swear at people in voice comms, and call in his mates, rather than say 'yes I shot at you all, and I will shoot all the time' or 'yes, I shot at you, but we are cool now'.

That's life in Rust, I guess. I just credit people with a bit more honour than they actually have.

So.. what happens if you C4 the bottom floor of a tower?

• Options
    SutibunRi wrote: »
    So.. what happens if you C4 the bottom floor of a tower?

A gap opens in the wall of the tower, and you can run inside. If you find any other walls you need more C4. If you find a metal door, you need 2 C4.

Last night, none of us had any on us, otherwise my preference (once the guy lied about doing the shooting) would have been to blow the metal door off and storm the place, before filling the inside with spikes, and blocking it all off with staircases.

What actually happened was less desirable, but there is always next time....

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I missed something good seems like.

• Options
    downerdowner Registered User regular
    By the way, the guy (okaslan, I believe is his name) was definitely working with OMalley and HydroP. He's part of the 'Bandit's' group if you watch chat.

• Options
    SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Here I was hoping to hear that taking out the entire 1st floor would make everything else collapse.

• Options
    JungleskyeJungleskye Registered User regular
    After reading this thread I might have to buy this game.

Like now.

• Options
    Jungleskye wrote: »
    After reading this thread I might have to buy this game.

Like now.

Do it. We are going to need all the help we can get in order to gain a foothold on the island, and go toe to toe with Bacon and his gang.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'm just thinking out loud here, but I'm really curious what a server with no military weapons or Kevlar armor would play like. Only BAR, Pipe Shotgun, Revolver, and C4 would be craftable, with explosives not craftable as they are on Pie's server now. Airdrops and loot drops would only give you stuff like materials, research kits, and metal parts.

I dunno, just seems like it would go a long way to prevent the "hoarding" mentality. Maybe I'm off base though.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    cmsamo wrote: »

Faith in eHonor is the road to tears and butthurt.

• Options
    Drake wrote: »
    Faith in eHonor is the road to tears and butthurt.

I feel like this should be a sig line.... or a t-shirt slogan

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    imperialparadoximperialparadox Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    The door password thing is cool, though part of me would think "my immersion" would be neat if instead you could make keys for your doors, and give them to friends. Then, killing people and looting their keys would be a thing that you could do.

Though...that would basically translate into doors becoming pointless, so nevermind, door passwords it is!

Also @downer I might need to hit you up on steam, I'm going to try to get on tonight (or definitely this weekend), and I need you to give me permissions on my door! Either that, or did I forget to pay rent? :p

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo Network ID: imperialparadox | 3DS FC: 2294-4029-6793
    XBL Gamertag: Paradox3351 | PSN: imperialparadox
  • Options
    update from Oxide has gone out to the server providers. Now I just need to wait until my server provider makes it available to install.

This is all made slower and more complicated because the server providers have to sign an agreement with Facepunch, the developers of RUST to hide the rust and mod files. So I can't just download the new mod files and install them myself. I have to wait until they appear in the admin interface.

• Options
    Shogun wrote: »

Okay, replace "online passwords" with "ATM PIN #". You get the idea.

Sure, they're typically 4 digits, but they require the card as well. Also, an ATM will eat your card if you repeatedly enter the wrong PIN. I think combining keycards and the combo would be just fine.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    update from Oxide has gone out to the server providers. Now I just need to wait until my server provider makes it available to install.

This is all made slower and more complicated because the server providers have to sign an agreement with Facepunch, the developers of RUST to hide the rust and mod files. So I can't just download the new mod files and install them myself. I have to wait until they appear in the admin interface.

Yeah I'm sure it's a complete pain in the ass, and I really appreciate everything you have been doing for this server.

For the record I think the server is a better place because of OMalley/Bacon and his bandits. I was expecting to get shot in the face when I showed up with MI at the pit brawl. I didn't have a gun out but my mike wasn't cooperating and no speak=getting shot most of the time in this game. They invited me up to watch the fight though and no one was a jerk about anything. It was a good time. Personally I have more fun knowing that there is at least one faction on the server who plays the role that they are playing.

Drake on
  • Options
    I agree. Apart from Shankerz they haven't been harassing about it, they just do what they do - and they pay the same money we pay to play.

• Options
    Drake wrote: »

Yeah I'm sure it's a complete pain in the ass, and I really appreciate everything you have been doing for this server.

For the record I think the server is a better place because of OMalley/Bacon and his bandits. I was expecting to get shot in the face when I showed up with MI at the pit brawl. I didn't have a gun out but my mike wasn't cooperating and no speak=getting shot most of the time in this game. They invited me up to watch the fight though and no one was a jerk about anything. It was a good time. Personally I have more fun knowing that there is at least one faction on the server who plays the role that they are playing.

Totally agree. This would be a super boring server without bacon and those guys there. I'm glad they're around to be the Legion of Doom to our Justice Team.

I think I'll probably take tonight off from Rust while we wait for the new update to sort itself out. Might give me a chance to catch up on BF4 finally.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Totally agree. This would be a super boring server without bacon and those guys there. I'm glad they're around to be the Legion of Doom to our Justice Team.

I think I'll probably take tonight off from Rust while we wait for the new update to sort itself out. Might give me a chance to catch up on BF4 finally.

Bacon needs you guys just as much as you need him. We all need each other sooo MUCH! Now get over here so I can shoothug you.

And you may have to take the night off. No word from FPSPlayers (my server provider) on the update.

• Options
    JRoseyJRosey Registered User regular
    Shankerz shot me in the head an hour into my first playthrough, and I've been slowly building up my strength, supplies, and intellect over the past two weeks with the sole intention of getting revenge. With no Devil, there is no need for God.

• Options
    SpoonySpoony Registered User regular
    could be - I haven't heard whether this update requires a wipe or not. If it does I may create a onetime starter kit with a significant amount of wood/metal in it or at least turn instacraft on for a while. to help people get back up and running again quickly.

At the risk of being the stick in the mud, I'd almost rather have a fresh world. I think that a big part of the fun is actually getting the materials and building it yourself. If you just hand players piles of metal and wood, it seems to almost defeat the purpose of being a naked man with a rock. Some of the best times I've had have been the "Am I actually going to survive the night" times.

• Options
    BobstahBobstah Registered User regular
    Spoony wrote: »
    At the risk of being the stick in the mud, I'd almost rather have a fresh world. I think that a big part of the fun is actually getting the materials and building it yourself. If you just hand players piles of metal and wood, it seems to almost defeat the purpose of being a naked man with a rock. Some of the best times I've had have been the "Am I actually going to survive the night" times.
    Seconded. Even though our group has the largest, most secure base on the server, I'd rather that we not have instacraft and a special kit.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    zwayhowderzwayhowder SydneyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I just jumped on Sliver's server, and it was wiped with the update.

zwayhowder on
    Zway
    3DS - 3669-0094-2458 || WiiU/Steam/PSN zwayhowder || XboX lujjan || Untappd zwayhowder
  • Options
    Here's the video of our utter defeat from last night I was talking about earlier. Sorry I'm so terrible at the game.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    JunleaJunlea Registered User regular
    If there's a wipe I will be soooooo sad.

Though I understand they are inevitable.

Junlea :: Writer, Gamer, Bagel Fan