As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Starbound] Has actually released!

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Darmak wrote: »
    Squeeze wrote: »
    So I'm trying to upgrade my ship, but I can't find any uranium. I've found plutonium on moons, but that's not what I need! Does anyone know where I can find some?

How much do you need? I found a few nuggets on an eccentric moon.

Thanks, but I'm playing offline. I'll check some eccentric moons though.
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    So I'm trying to upgrade my ship, but I can't find any uranium. I've found plutonium on moons, but that's not what I need! Does anyone know where I can find some?

Check radioactive planets?

I might do that, is there a way to not die from radiation?

IIRC you get the suit tech that lets you go to radioactive planets after completing the
    Pirate Penguin

mission, which you need full titanium armor before the right NPC will give you the mission.

Ahhh, I have that mission and I even have the full suit of armor, I just haven't done it yet. I think I'll go do that now.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    Squeeze wrote: »

How much do you need? I found a few nuggets on an eccentric moon.

Thanks, but I'm playing offline. I'll check some eccentric moons though.

Check radioactive planets?

I might do that, is there a way to not die from radiation?

I was just at a radioactive planet that had massive amounts of titanium and uranium.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    Just confirming that we're all on the same page now that the PA server is back up. I would assume we all have a "don't be a dick" pact to leave any player build bases or structures untouched if they are stumbled across (outside of home base of course). Is there any type of universal notice we should put up near our dwelling to signify that they are currently occupied and not derelict?

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Well the issue about "derelict", its hard to place a non permanent notice that its occupied :)

But yeah, dont be a dick is in place on the server, and don't touch other peoples stuff. However that said, there isn't a password right now. We had issues with a troll when there wasnt a password before. So if the redirection starts working again I'll try to get password back in.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    How does one even get to home base on the server in nightly builds? There's no such thing as an alpha sector anymore.

• Options
    Yess, I found plenty of uranium and titanium and finished the quests I had and now I'm making durasteel and shit is starting to get rad.

Also, having a boat is just the greatest.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    wilting wrote: »
    How does one even get to home base on the server in nightly builds? There's no such thing as an alpha sector anymore.

Well, currently in the unstable build every character you create starts at the same starting planet in single player, so I wouldn't be surprised if every character created on a server has the same thing.

Kinda hope that they bring back the random start as an option at some point. I can get the appeal of being able to make a sort of home base for alts to jump start their spacefaring careers, especially considering what you now have to do to be able to even go to another planet, but I'd like to be able to start completely fresh now and again without having to delete my universe folder and therefore anything I ever built groundside.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Bluh, found one of the sidequest widgets I need, except for the minor detail of if a dungeon that is meant to have one of those shield generators manages to spawn without one, it still has the MM-disable and you can't switch it off.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    So wait, how do you get a boat?

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Ianator wrote: »
    It's a head-slot tech that's unlocked after the first ship upgrade IIRC.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • Options
    I found a staff that, when charged, summons a large boulder that drops down and explodes, destroying terrain and spawning several smaller boulders that fly in various directions that destroy more terrain. It's not terribly great for combat since the charge time is kind of long, you have to stand still while charging, it doesn't do much damage, and the boulder drops really slowly so you gotta time it just right to hit a moving target. That said, it's fun to mess with and I might try using it to carve a path down into a planet for easier mining.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Ianator wrote: »
    It's a head-slot tech that's unlocked after the first ship upgrade IIRC.

That's one of the big unfinished items actually; the devs want vehicles to be regular objects in the world and not just techs as the boat and mech currently are. You'll be able to pick them up and place them with the matter manipulator like any other object in the finished game. They've also said that elevators will be coming, since they'll also be a type of "vehicle". I'm definitely looking forward to having a quicker way to get to and from a planet's core!
    I found a staff that, when charged, summons a large boulder that drops down and explodes, destroying terrain and spawning several smaller boulders that fly in various directions that destroy more terrain. It's not terribly great for combat since the charge time is kind of long, you have to stand still while charging, it doesn't do much damage, and the boulder drops really slowly so you gotta time it just right to hit a moving target. That said, it's fun to mess with and I might try using it to carve a path down into a planet for easier mining.

It seems as though the RNG can create quite a few fun weapons now. Someone on reddit found a rocket launcher that shoots pigs with dynamite strapped to them instead of actual rockets.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    I really enjoy summoning a boat out of the ether though

completely disproportionately

I hardly ever use it as intended either

monster attacking? BOAT

it doesn't do anything but root me to the spot, but who the fuck cares I'm a land pirate

jump off the side of the outpost gate asteroid and sail the stars

flooded my main cargo hold of course, building a little desert island resort so I can get away from it all

or I might reflood it with poison and keep prisoners there, if I can spawn them

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Oh god.

Anyone remember those tiny houses that were sometimes found underground? Turns out they're inhabited. By Gnomes. And if you break the houses open you get... well...
    BuC1kPW.png

They scream when you throw them. Yep.

*edit* Oh, and someone reported finding a gun in one of those biomes which is actually a Gnome holding a smaller gun. That shoots rainbows.

http://starbounder.org/Gnome_Gun

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    hwat
    1xs8u3mksmw0.png
    I'm stuck like that
    like I can still move and jump and mine and whatnot but exclusively via crawling and crabwalking

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    hwat
    1xs8u3mksmw0.png
    I'm stuck like that
    like I can still move and jump and mine and whatnot but exclusively via crawling and crabwalking

I don't see anything wrong. Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum?

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »
    cB557 wrote: »
    hwat
    1xs8u3mksmw0.png
    I'm stuck like that

I don't see anything wrong. Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum?
    I think you're trying to say Diannochong?

• Options
    Man, it'd be nice if there was some way to scan planets to tell what dungeons there were, it is such a slog trying to find the dungeon I need to loot a piece of to finish this sidequest.

On the plus side, assuming 3dprinted copies work, by now I've found extra copies of all the other sidequest widgets so I can share the wealth once I decide to try out the server.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    i found the gnome gun. it does indeed fire rainbows. got it from smashing a bunch of gnome houses.

also i made a gigantic tank where ive stored a lot of liquid starship fuel. i dunno if the fuel is supposed to be this way or of it is glitchy, but sometimes there are some huge waves moving across the surface and the level just drops on its own.

• Options
    SqueezeSqueeze Registered User regular
    Man, I left the gnomes alone because I didn't need the pixels and was hunting for smooth stone... damnit.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Has anyone else had an issue with the multiplayer server today? I can play on single, but when I try to log on to the server I either get a black screen or massive unplayable lag. And now all I get is join fail.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    Elin wrote: »
    Has anyone else had an issue with the multiplayer server today? I can play on single, but when I try to log on to the server I either get a black screen or massive unplayable lag. And now all I get is join fail.

The server is pretty buggy due to the fact that the server software itself is also still in beta. Expect it to go up and down a lot.

• Options
    Mr Ray wrote: »

The server is pretty buggy due to the fact that the server software itself is also still in beta. Expect it to go up and down a lot.

Oh, I don't expect anything to be stable - I'm just grateful we have someone willing to run a server for us. I was just wondering if there was downtime since I had been having the same issue for ~ 5 hours. It seems to be working for me now though.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    So tech staves seem kind of ridiculous. Like the top-grade Avian one. The individual damage pulses on the thing aren't all that much, about 250, but when the crystal pops, it launches a bunch of shrapnel that does a solid 7k damage each.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Good news, everyone! Finally found the dungeon I needed to loot a piece from again, and I can confirm that 3d-printed items can be turned in for quests. Time to upgrade my ship to get access to the next round of scavenger hunt.
    :edit: and huh, there must not be a set of sidequests for that ship tier yet, went straight to pawning diamonds off at penguin bay for the next license. Nice.
    :edit2: Ok, next ship upgrade applied, SAIL said that this is the limit of what can be self-upgraded, if there is more to be done, it has to be found, and there is a new batch of sidequests. Stay tuned.
    :edit3: I seem to have hit a dead end, the thing I need to craft to finish this quest requires red dye, and I have neither seen any dye in chests nor noticed a craft recipe for dyes anymore.
    :edit4: crisis averted, the craft item also added itself to my 3d printer.
    :edit5: and no new quests popped up, guess I am officially at the end of what they have.

NEO|Phyte on
  • Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    Is the server still thomastasks.org ? Do I need a server account?

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    The OP's information is outdated, somewhere in the last few pages is the IP to use for getting to the server.

Speaking of the server, I added some goodies to the starting world.
    1) A pile of blank tech cards
    2) A pile of sidequest scavenger hunt goodies (If you take any, please stuff them into your 3d printer and make spares to throw back into the cash register)
    3) A pile of all the farmable seeds I've encountered (31 different varieties)

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    installed the beta today, I am digging the changes. Feels much better

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    The OP's information is outdated, somewhere in the last few pages is the IP to use for getting to the server.

Speaking of the server, I added some goodies to the starting world.
    1) A pile of blank tech cards
    2) A pile of sidequest scavenger hunt goodies (If you take any, please stuff them into your 3d printer and make spares to throw back into the cash register)
    3) A pile of all the farmable seeds I've encountered (31 different varieties)

I think I found the server info (198.23.229.36), but I can't seem to change the properties to use the beta version that you guys seem to be using.

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I've got it now.

cshadow42 on
  • Options
    BeornKBeornK Registered User regular
    Hey quick early coordinates for UNSTABLE for blank tech cards: (Windows only)

X 377984913 Y 519591123 Delta Zentalion Minor IV B (Gentle Star)
    (Large Mostly Harmless Desert world) 2 Apex Research Facilities to the left. (6 blank tech cards total)
    Also has ample Healing water

DS0mQJS.png
  • Options
    Ugh, the revamped Deadwing is a pain in the rear. Anyone manage to beat him yet?

• Options
    cshadow42 wrote: »
    Ugh, the revamped Deadwing is a pain in the rear. Anyone manage to beat him yet?

I sniped him from outside his AI activation range.
    Protip: if you hold Ctrl, you can pan your view around so your guy isn't centered. Pressing it again recenters your view.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    cshadow42 wrote: »

I did it with a shield, a 1h melee weapon, and a 1h ranged weapon.

shot at him at ranged, used the shield to block his sweeps, and swap to melee for the damage when he stuns himself trying to slam you.

IMO he's basically a skill check for shield/parry mechanics.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I just dodged what attacks I could and tanked those damn ground slams of his.

cB557 on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    Whoof, they need to add a checkpoint system in for some of these missions.

Nothing like getting past a load of pink slime zombiemen then getting my head chopped off by a mad survivor

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Mr Ray wrote: »

I am pretty sure its shitty hosting/hardware as well. People like to run to VPSes, buy up a cheap account and then mine bitcoin, maxing out the hardware and screwing over other clients until they get banned. Also the hosts like to oversell their capacity...

That said, if someone has dedicated solutions or can host a better one, I am all for it :D

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    I killed dreadwing, although it involved using about 30 bandages, a grenade launcher that can only be fired twice before I run out of energy, and a 2 handed spear to stab his minions

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Do they have a timetable for when the unstable build becomes stable?

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    Here's an update straight from Tiy posted on SB's reddit 5 hours ago. Spoilered because long.
    Hi guys,
    I wanted to address some of the current problems we're aware of and explain how we're going to deal with those problems.
    Guns do too little damage
    Currently guns do too little damage, particularly guns with a high rate of fire. This is a known problem and it's largely down to the way protection works currently. Guns that shoot a small amount of damage rapidly for an overall high DPS are unfairly mitigated due to how protection functions. We're looking at fixing the way protection handles small damage values for the stable release.
    Mining is a little dull
    Mining at the moment is a little uneventful and a bit of a grind. We plan to remedy this by vastly increasing the number of underground encounters, dungeons and microdungeons you'll encounter whilst mining. Many of these dungeons will contain some of the loot you're looking for whilst mining and save you from simply tinking away at blocks for hours on end. We're also going to increase the range of monsters underground to mix up the experience and look into benefits for sustaining existing mines.
    There's no reason to build on a planet
    Currently there's very little reason to settle on a planet, given the utility of the ship and the amount of space it has available to it on upgrading. We plan to remedy this in a number of different ways. Firstly, we're going to add a planet bookmark/teleportation system. This will allow you to get directly from your ship to a base you've set up on a planet instantly and without travelling to that planet first. Next there will be utilities and crafting resources that won't function on your ship and will require an on planet base. Finally there will be alternative progression paths that directly require buildings of various kinds. The nomadic nature of settling in your ship is directly in support of the combat/adventure progression path.
    Monster path finding is bad
    We've made so many changes to monsters and their abilities that their path finding has suffered a lot. We're going to be working on it and retooling it for the next stable release. Hopefully by then the monsters should be substantially smarter.
    Hunger and/or temperature is gone
    We made the decision to remove hunger and temperature as stats because we weren't happy with their current implementation. They'll be back in some form for harder difficulty levels
    There's only one path through the game
    Right now adventuring and combat is more or less a requirement if you want to progress. We intend to change that with farming and building progression paths. We'd like you to be able to progress through the game with barely any combat or questing required. These paths will likely be distinct from one another so you're able to progress through all of them individually over time.
    Quests are too fetchy/there aren't enough quests
    The current quests are fetchy because we needed to create a quest line with the engine features we currently have available to us. We're going to be expanding quests in a big way and many of the quests currently available are placeholder. With more quest triggers we can massively expand the kind of quests available to us and we're going to be adding some form of procedurally generated quests too.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    My new farm is so horizontal it's vertical.