Options

[Nintendo eShop] So many classic games, so little time to play them all.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    You guys are missing out on a rad game.

I did play it, I just had no interest in finishing it.

• Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    Maz- wrote: »
    Binding is Zelda 1 dungeons with roguelike rules of death and map randomness, and twin stick shooter combat.

All of my least favorite gaming things mixed together!

Well, Zelda 1 dungeons are okay I guess.

Then you toss in the story. So "edgy" and "emotional". It's like a checklist of everything I dislike about the indie scene.

This... isn't BoI at all, and is strongly generalizing a part of the gaming industry that has kept gaming alive and exciting for many, including myself. BoI absolutely takes the religious imagery and themes and runs with it, but at no point whatsoever does it say things like 'isn't religion just dumb?', and doesn't put itself forward as 'edgy' in the slightest. In fact, I would say what you see in the indie 'scene' doesn't actually exist. While individual and prominent creators might be blowhards or whatever (coughPhilFishcough) most of the most beautiful, interesting, and fun concepts have emerged from those kinds of developers.

Isaac's mother doesn't try to kill him because of some weird religious reason. She's just nuts. The extremely minor details of her crudely drawn design in the game's intro lean towards her just being insane, stuff like one eye suddenly being bigger than the other, a completely flat mouth showing no emotion while attempting to murder her son. Not even the most religious would act in this manner.

Edmund himself has said that he used Christian imagery because he thought it was cool. Christian mythos is full of the weirdest shit, and inspired him almost like a D&D manual would.

The use of disturbing imagery I actually find intriguing. Disturbing, yes, blood and shit everywhere does not make for a pretty moment, but intriguing; it reminds me a lot of Jhonen Vasquez's work, which I love. An emphasis on the dark and twisted and utterly surreal. Granted, nothing in BoI has even a hint of light or reprieve, unlike Vasquez's stuff, which I can understand may exhaust some.

• Options
    LucidLucid Registered User regular
    Edgy is the new Emo, in that they're terms used in lazy criticism.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I used to enjoy Johnny the Homicidal Maniac when I was younger. Trying to re-read it recently, and I feel a lot of it would fit in at Reddit's /r/im14andthisisdeep.

Dirty on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I used to enjoy Johnny the Homicidal Maniac when I was younger. Trying to re-read it recently, and I feel a lot of it would fit in at Reddit's /r/im14andthisisdeep.

I miss my cupcake

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    You guys are missing out on a rad game.

I did play it. I didn't like it.

I thought I was going to like it a lot, but came away not even able to figure out why other people like it. Most rooms are just empty, or squares with a few enemies in them. Few of the enemy types are any fun to fight.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I beat BoI once with the most overpowered items there were. I had a bloodbeam, permaflight, and I think could heal. That is the only time I've ever beaten it and once I did I was done.

• Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    Isaac is a game that mechanically outshines any mehness you may have over the presentation.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I didn't like anything about how it played. The creator being too lazy to put in a way to configure the controls and just putting in a blank page that says 'Google It' for a third party solution was a great start, and really set the tone for the rest of the game.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I'm tempted to pick up Watch_Dogs. I've picked up the other Ubi games on the cheap over time, I think I paid like $5 for Splinter Cell, but don't have Watch_Dogs on any platform.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I mention this every chance I get, but Ghost Recon on the 3DS is really, really good. Don't judge it by the graphics and you'll be in for a treat!

Also, turn on 3D, and then judge it by the graphics. Because those telephone poles are just neat.

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Frem wrote: »
    It sure does. Not only is it a hastily upported DS game (that would have been ugly even on the DS) but it was also crash happy. Various stability updates have improved it, but the eshop version came much later and is a later version of the game while the launch version never got any patches.

If only the 3DS provided some sort of mechanism for publishers to push patches for retail games! /s

Although this *is* Ubisoft we're talking about, I guess.

I'm responding to something old but yes, they did not in fact allow games to be patched until MK 7. Well, to be more honest, MK7 was the first one that got patched, they may have allowed it before then. Anyways, this game in particular did get less and less crash prone as more and more system updates came out. Same thing with a lot of Wii U launch titles from third parties.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Binding is Zelda 1 dungeons with roguelike rules of death and map randomness, and twin stick shooter combat.

All of my least favorite gaming things mixed together!

Well, Zelda 1 dungeons are okay I guess.

Then you toss in the story. So "edgy" and "emotional". It's like a checklist of everything I dislike about the indie scene.

This... isn't BoI at all, and is strongly generalizing a part of the gaming industry that has kept gaming alive and exciting for many, including myself. BoI absolutely takes the religious imagery and themes and runs with it, but at no point whatsoever does it say things like 'isn't religion just dumb?', and doesn't put itself forward as 'edgy' in the slightest. In fact, I would say what you see in the indie 'scene' doesn't actually exist. While individual and prominent creators might be blowhards or whatever (coughPhilFishcough) most of the most beautiful, interesting, and fun concepts have emerged from those kinds of developers.

Isaac's mother doesn't try to kill him because of some weird religious reason. She's just nuts. The extremely minor details of her crudely drawn design in the game's intro lean towards her just being insane, stuff like one eye suddenly being bigger than the other, a completely flat mouth showing no emotion while attempting to murder her son. Not even the most religious would act in this manner.

Edmund himself has said that he used Christian imagery because he thought it was cool. Christian mythos is full of the weirdest shit, and inspired him almost like a D&D manual would.

The use of disturbing imagery I actually find intriguing. Disturbing, yes, blood and shit everywhere does not make for a pretty moment, but intriguing; it reminds me a lot of Jhonen Vasquez's work, which I love. An emphasis on the dark and twisted and utterly surreal. Granted, nothing in BoI has even a hint of light or reprieve, unlike Vasquez's stuff, which I can understand may exhaust some.

well it's even deeper than "because he thought it was cool", it's that he grew up with it

he's fascinated by the fact that there are all these taboos around certain imagery but then standing right there in the living room is a portrait of a man being tortured and bleeding out his hands and skull. a lot of isaac imagery actually pulls on his history and history he's known - the crossdressing is based directly on experiences his father had with his family and their fucked-upness

(also considering the bible straight up defeats your allegedly religious mother it's pretty obviously not anti-religion)

now that said while there are totally legitimate reasons for the aesthetic, it's still an aesthetic that is going to be just wildly unappealing to some people, and that's cool, absolutely no shame in preferring not to be exposed to that

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Might wait for a sale. Would have preferred SMB to be honest. Much better fit for both 3DS and Wii U.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    ...weren't those games 60% off last week?

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular

Yeah - if you owned one or more games on the list of indie titles. I bought Shantae because of it.

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    The EU regions had it for about 6.40 EUR (normally 16.99) or so, so I was expecting it to be half off in the states.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular

Yeah - if you owned one or more games on the list of indie titles. I bought Shantae because of it.

but even if someone hadn't bought the humble bundle for some reason, it still would've been cheaper to buy both of them last week than just shantae today

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular

but even if someone hadn't bought the humble bundle for some reason, it still would've been cheaper to buy both of them last week than just shantae today

Yeah, probably just a tiny bonus sale for anyone who missed out. Though that was by far the better deal. Actually I really should have gotten Switch Force 2 while it was that cheap. *shrug*

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    That big 60% off sale was also just for the Wii U versions only as well.

• Options
    That big 60% off sale was also just for the Wii U versions only as well.

True

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    This week's eShop update

Wii U Virtual Console

Kirby Squeak Squad – $9.99
    Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards – $9.99

Wii Download

Kirby’s Return to Dream Land – $19.99

Wii U Download

Badland: Game of the Year Edition – $9.99
    Endless Golf – $1.99
    Xeodrifter – $9.99

Wii U Demo

Just Dance 2016

Wii U Update

New Splatoon Update – On Aug. 5, a free software update for the Splatoon game on the Wii U console brings new content to the game, including two new matchmaking modes, new weapon types, an increase to the game’s level caps and more than 40 pieces of new gear. Following this update, more content will continually roll out through the rest of the summer and fall, including the Rainmaker Ranked Battle mode, additional maps and new weapons. For more information visit http://splatoon.nintendo.com.

3DS Download

Best of Board Games – Mahjong – $9.99
    Best of Board Games – Solitaire – $9.99
    Flick Golf 3D – $5.99

3DS Themes

Etrian Odyssey Untold 2: Classic Theme

eShop Sales

Wii U
    – Elliot Quest is 15 percent off (reduced from $12.99 to $10.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on August 13.
    – High Strangeness is 50 percent off (reduced from $9.99 to $4.99) beginning at 9 a.m. PT on Aug. 3 until 8:59 a.m. PT on Aug. 9.
    – 99Moves, Abyss and Rock Zombie from EnjoyUp are on sale until 8:59 a.m. PT on Aug. 27.

3DS
    – Castle Conqueror Defender, Demon King Box and Quell Memento from Circle Entertainment are on sale until 8:59 a.m. PT on Aug. 20.
    – Toys vs. Monsters is 50 percent off (reduced from $3.99 to $1.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Aug. 23.

Permanent Price Drop

LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham has been reduced to $19.99 (from $29.99).

Activities

Miiverse has an entire new look and new features! – With a new Screen Shot Album and Play Journal features, there is a lot to explore! Get ready to have more fun than ever sharing tips, drawings and comments on Miiverse. Check out https://miiverse.nintendo.net/special/redesign_announcement for all the fun details.

Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. “Sink or Swim” Tournament – See how your squad stacks up online in Nintendo’s Public Tournaments. Top players earn unique titles that are visible online and earn major bragging rights with your friends and around the world. The new “Sink or Swim” tournament runs July 31 through Aug. 9. Opt in via the SpotPass feature for notifications about future tournaments. Good luck, agents!

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Oh wow, somehow I thought they were releasing Nightmare in Dreamland, not Return to Dreamland. Kind of cool they released the later, but I wanted the former. Doh! Oh well.

• Options
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Oh wow, somehow I thought they were releasing Nightmare in Dreamland, not Return to Dreamland. Kind of cool they released the later, but I wanted the former. Doh! Oh well.

Nightmare in Dreamland was released last year.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Nightmare in Dreamland was released last year.

Wait, really? I thought it was only in Europe... God dammit...

• Options
    This week's eShop update

Wii U Virtual Console

Golden Sun: The Lost Age – $7.99
    Onimusha Tactics – $6.99

Wii U Download

Astral Breakers – $4.99
    Kung Fu FIGHT! – $1.99

Wii U Update

New Splatoon Update – The Splatoon game for the Wii U console just got a massive free content update. The update includes two new modes: Squad Battle and Private Battle. Squad Battle lets players create a squid squad with friends and head into Ranked Battle modes together, while Private Battle lets two to eight friends battle together in customizable matches. There are also new weapons, level-cap increases, more than 40 new types of gear and more to come throughout the rest of the summer. For more details, visit http://splatoon.nintendo.com.

3DS Retail

Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold: The Fafnir Knight – $49.99

3DS Download

Best of Arcade Games – Brick Breaker – $9.99
    Best of Arcade Games – Tetraminos – $9.99
    Japanese Rail Sim 3D Journey to Kyoto – $19.99
    Jewel Quest 4 Heritage – $5.99
    Picross e6 – $5.99

3DS Demo

Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butoden

3DS Update

Download the latest version of the Pokémon Rumble World game for your Nintendo 3DS system today! Once you do, you’ll be able to visit a new area and get bonus items. First, take a ride on the newly added Lucky Balloon. It will take you to a mysterious area called Changing Land, where you’re more likely to meet Pokémon you haven’t yet caught. The Lucky Balloon will be added to the hot air balloons available in the shop. It’s free, but you’ll need to have reached Adventure Rank 40 to ride on it. Enter the following password into your game to receive 100 Poké Diamonds after you update: 48213190. You have to reach Adventure Rank 4 before you can enter the password.

3DS Themes

Aeternoblade
    Puzzle & Dragons Super Mario Bros. Edition

Smash Bros. DLC

Fans of the Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U games can now add even more fun with several free updates and new DLC for purchase on both versions. Free updates include a K.K. Slider costume for Mii Fighters, plus new Community Tournament and Regular Tournament modes and the ability to upload saved replays to YouTube. Players can also purchase new Mii Fighter costumes, from Samus’ Armor to an SSB-logo Hoodie, as well as Peach’s Castle and Hyrule Castle stages from the original Nintendo 64 version of the game. For full details, visit http://www.smashbros.com/us/.

eShop Sales

Wii U/3DS

– Citizens of Earth on Wii U and Nintendo 3DS is 66 percent off (reduced from $14.99 to $4.99) beginning at 9 a.m. PT on Aug. 10 until 8:59 a.m. PT on Aug. 17.

Wii U

– GetClose: A game for RIVALS is 66 percent off (reduced from $2.99 to $0.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on August 27.
    – Stealth Inc. 2: A Game of Clones is 50 percent off (reduced from $14.99 to $7.49) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Aug. 27.
    – Blok Drop U, Spikey Walls, TOSS N GO and more titles from RCMADIAX are on sale until 8:59 a.m. PT on September 30.
    – Plenty of Fishies is 40 percent off (reduced from $4.99 to $2.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on September 30.
    – Tiny Galaxy is 33 percent off (reduced from $5.99 to $3.99) beginning at 9 a.m. PT on August 7 until 8:59 a.m. PT on September 30.

3DS

– Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl is 50 percent off (reduced from $29.99 to $14.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Aug. 10.
    – Brunch Panic, KAMI and Sweet Memories – Blackjack from Circle Entertainment are on sale until 8:59 a.m. PT on Aug. 27.

Price Reductions

A-Train 3D: City Simulator has been reduced to $19.99 (from $29.99).
    Shin Megami Tensei IV will be reduced to $19.99 (from $29.99) beginning at 9 a.m. PT on Aug. 10.

Activities

Art Academy: Home Studio Art Contest – Enter the Art Academy: Home Studio art contest for your chance to win a $20 Nintendo eShop Card code! Upload a time-lapse video of your work to YouTube using the “Recordings” feature in the game and tweet us @NintendoAmerica with a link to your video and the hashtags #ContestEntry and #NintendoArtContest between Aug. 6 at 7 a.m. PT and Aug. 20 at 5 p.m. PT. Click here to view a video highlighting this contest.
    NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Void where prohibited. Must be a legal resident of US (incl. DC) or Canada (excl. Quebec) 18+. Deadline: 8/20/15. 25 winners receive a Nintendo eShop Card code (ARV $20 ea). Additional terms and conditions apply. Click here for official rules. Sponsor: Nintendo of America Inc.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    Oh, looks like the CA 3DS eShop is finally using its "News" section more like it should; it was kinda dumb that I had to check "Latest Releases" for what new games were added and look online for things like updates. Wonder if the US and EU ones are the same. Still don't have announcements for sales, upcoming games (other than preloads), and games that are getting pulled like the JP one though.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    More Picross whoooooooooooooo!

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    *shakes fist*

Bring Xenoblade to NA Virtual Console dammit!

• Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »

LOGIC FOR THE LOGIC GOD

PUZZLES FOR THE PUZZLE THRONE

....fairly certain I've made that joke before.

• Options
    Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular
    Picross and Golden Sun the same week? Lordy.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »

LOGIC FOR THE LOGIC GOD

PUZZLES FOR THE PUZZLE THRONE

....fairly certain I've made that joke before.

The Puzzle Throne was full of gotchas for the unwary... a chair that could stump a man, and had, if the stories could be believed.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Why can't I eshop on computor?

• Options
    PLA wrote: »
    Why can't I eshop on computor?

https://www.nintendo.com/eshop/buy-digital/

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    This week's eShop update

Wii U Download

Wind-up Knight 2 – $7.50

Wii Download for Wii U

Pandora’s Tower – $19.99

3DS Retail

Garfield Kart – $29.99
    Paddington: Adventures in London – $29.99

3DS Download

Best of Arcade Games – Air Hockey – $9.99
    Best of Arcade Games – Bubble Buster – $9.99
    Brave Tank Hero – $4.99
    3DS Demo
    I Love My Dogs

eShop Sales

Wii U/3DS

– 3D Game Collection (Nintendo 3DS), Murder on the Titanic (Nintendo 3DS) and Suspension Railroad Simulator (Wii U) from Joindots are on sale until 8:59 a.m. PT on Aug. 27.
    – Bombing Bastards (Wii U), Spot the Differences: Party! (Wii U) and Talking Phrasebook – 7 Languages (Nintendo 3DS) from Sanuk Games are on sale until 8:59 a.m. PT on Aug. 20.

Wii U

– TNT Racers – Nitro Machines Edition is 37 percent off (reduced from $7.99 to $4.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Aug. 13.
    – Blocky Bot and Paper Monsters Recut from Mobot Studios are on sale until 8:59 a.m. PT on Aug. 27.
    – Jeopardy!, Wheel of Fortune and more titles from Nordic Games are on sale until 8:59 a.m. PT on Aug. 27.
    – Stone Shire is 25 percent off (reduced from $7.99 to $5.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on October 1.

3DS

– Excave II: Wizard of the Underworld is 50 percent off (reduced from $10 to $5) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Aug. 20.
    – Alien on the Run, Undead Storm Nightmare and Jump Trials Supreme from G-style are on sale until 8:59 a.m. PT on Aug. 27.
    – Nano Assault EX is 25 percent off (reduced from $9.99 to $7.49) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Sept. 3.
    – Van Helsing Sniper Zx100 is 47 percent off (reduced from $6.66 to $3.49) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Sept. 10.

Activities

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire – Get Shiny Rayquaza with Dragon Ascent – Soar into battle with Shiny Rayquaza, available now via the Nintendo Network. This Shiny Rayquaza is not only rare, it is also amazingly powerful. Shiny Rayquaza knows the Dragon Ascent move, which allows it to Mega Evolve and dominate its opponents. This Shiny Rayquaza will be available via Nintendo Network until Sept. 14, so don’t miss this limited opportunity! For more details, go to Pokemon.com/Rayquaza.

Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. “Second Star” Tournament – See how your squad stacks up online in Nintendo’s Public Tournaments. Top players earn unique titles that are visible online and earn major bragging rights with your friends and around the world. The new “Second Star” tournament runs Aug. 14 through Aug. 17. Opt in via the SpotPass feature for notifications about future tournaments. Good luck, agents!

Pokémon Shuffle Summer Special – Buy Jewels and Get Six More Free! – Now until Aug. 16, when you purchase six or more Jewels in the Pokémon Shuffle game with your Nintendo eShop funds, you’ll be eligible for a one-time gift of six additional Jewels for free. For more details, head to http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/a-deal-on-pokemon-shuffle-jewels.

Art Academy: Home Studio Art Contest – It’s not too late to enter the Art Academy: Home Studio art contest for your chance to win a $20 Nintendo eShop Card! Upload a time-lapse video of your work to YouTube using the “Recordings” feature in the game and tweet us @NintendoAmerica with a link to your video and the hashtags #ContestEntry and #NintendoArtContest until Aug. 20 at 5 p.m. PT. Check here to view a video about the contest.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    skeldare wrote: »
    Wii Download for Wii U

Pandora’s Tower – $19.99

Pandora's Tower is on the short list of games I own but have never finished. It was taking away valuable Monster Hunting* time and wasn't quite good enough to justify it.

*"Finished" in the previous sentence meaning "seen credits for during solo play" when necessary.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I never read anything particularly good about it.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    It's not great! Of the Project Rainfall games it is by far the least good, though it does a lot of neat things

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I'd be very interested to learn whether or not they fixed the game-breaking bug in Pandora's Tower. That was the only thing that deterred me from purchasing it.

Rex Dart on
This discussion has been closed.