As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pillars of Eternity: It's out! Reviews are great!

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    C2B wrote: »
    One thing I really don't like.

There's a lot of stuff that hinders backers giving accurate feedback and obsidian is fully aware of. Imo, they went a bit too early with the beta.

I take this back. Beta was worth it for Schadenfreude alone (I'm a bad person :( )

Currently Obsidian are frauds, in risk of ruining THEIR ENTIRE REPUTATION IF THEY DON'T DO X (and generally how dare this isn't an exact copy of the IE games), Sawyer is a living monster who despies the IWD series of all things and so on.

Also a big amount of people that don't realize what exactly beta means (overlap with first crowd), but that was to be expected.

There's lots of great community stuff as well though including people who aren't happy with it, but provide very well thought of bug reports as to why (usually don't overlap with the first crowd). Some really great constructive critisism there.

C2B on
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    are people really complaining? from what i've seen of the beta stuff looks good, ignoring the bugs because the word beta means beta.

• Options
    are people really complaining? from what i've seen of the beta stuff looks good, ignoring the bugs because the word beta means beta.
    No I won't give it a try. Cause I've paid my money for a game that should be successor of IE games and that would use best mechanics from 3 of them (BG, IWD and PST). I haven't paid my money for experimentation and 'giving a try'.
    Yes, I understand that this guy (J.S. Sawyer, if I remember his second name correctly) as a game designer likes to try new mechanics, likes to experiment. Fine. Go to publisher and ask their money for new 'experimental, revolutionary RPG'. No. He went to me. And said: "Hamster! I need you money to create successor for IE games that you like so much! Give me you money, hamster, and I will do a game that will include exploration as in BG, combat as in IWD and story as in PST."
    BG share the same combat of IWD so if he despise (and he plainly admit it that he would save basicaly nothing from BG2) he despise both BG and IWD.

And for being completly honest at the moment i do not give a flaming **** about what Sawyer prefer. They had my money because they put baldur's gate,icewind dale and torment in their objective as goal to reach. And what i discover? that the guy who created the game dosen't give a **** about two of the said title. OH ****ING JOY
    And sorry i'm literaly too angry with this bastards for having a civil discussion.

For reference. Here's what Sawyer actually said about IE combat (And was pointed out to the same guy who ignored it)
    * Tactical combat. I disliked some of the specific rules or rule implementations, but I always enjoyed the tactical combat in the BG and IWD games. I loved designing it and I loved playing it. In particular, "symmetrical" battles with parties or other class/level characters were a lot of fun. I like the more scripted feeling of those fights even if I didn't like the rock/paper/scissors nature of some of the hard counters. I enjoy turn-based combat a lot, but I had already been introduced to RTwP 6 years before BG, so I also enjoyed/had no problem with BG's fundamental style of RPG combat.

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    Ugh, fuck the internet.

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    Ugh, fuck the internet.

In general I agree with this sentiment, but I could also speculate that the quotes posted above were from people whose native language is not English... so it's entirely possible they didn't translate Sawyer's words entirely correctly, and lost their minds over it. This is not a defense of their intelligence, because a smart and reasonable person would have at least tried to get some clarification or listened to further explanations when they were offered, but I'll at least offer that small caveat.

In the end, those people don't matter. The game will almost certainly be amazing from all reports.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I'm gonna go with non English speaker, still, their English is better than my take on whatever their first language is. Does he actually say what his gripe is with the combat? It looked pretty spot on with what we got before.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    the combat in the beta is kinda screwy in terms of balance but it's hard to tell if that's the underlying system or if it's confounded by all the weird save/load glitches breaking intended behaviors

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Nosf wrote: »
    I'm gonna go with non English speaker, still, their English is better than my take on whatever their first language is. Does he actually say what his gripe is with the combat? It looked pretty spot on with what we got before.

Not IE, basically. No kill xp as well.

And the guy behind the first quote understands english very well (Dude also tweets complaints). Apparently thats enough to insult developers, scream fraud and feel like they were robbed. Despite the fact that all this info wasn't hidden and brought up multiple times during development.

C2B on
  • Options
    Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    For thoughts on beta I recommend the following video. It's actually about early releases (alphas) but I think it just as easily applies to betas. It's actually an Extra Credits video and they use to be on PATV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=CmLz00L6CmY

PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Tried out a monk last night just to see what's up. I actually managed to solo a bunch of mobs. Thinking this might be my new favorite class, assuming it doesn't get nerfed. Seriously, I punched a lion to death! How great is that?

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    That Extra Credits video sums me up to a T. I get all excited about a game and can't help but jump on the early access, and then it's (naturally) unfinished, and I play it for a bit, and just don't ever come back to it.

• Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    74k backers, people complain about anything. Even if it was a scam for Obsidian to make a Baldurs Gate style farmville (Godus style) there's not much that guy can do.

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Yeah you'll drive yourself crazy if you care about what most people on the internet have to say. These are people who are usually both insane and have absolutely no life.

• Options
    Actually there's probably more than 74k backers now, right? Is the new number up anywhere?

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Tried out a monk last night just to see what's up. I actually managed to solo a bunch of mobs. Thinking this might be my new favorite class, assuming it doesn't get nerfed. Seriously, I punched a lion to death! How great is that?

I don't know, is the lion endangered? Does it have a family? Is it gainfully employed in the service industry, and working to make sure that its cubs have opportunities that it didn't have, like not getting punched by some monk?
    Just kidding, I love monks, and punching various fictional creatures.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    The answer is yes, that is until I pulverized his productive lion face with my cold and unfeeling fists.

yossarian_lives on

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

I don't know, is the lion endangered? Does it have a family? Is it gainfully employed in the service industry, and working to make sure that its cubs have opportunities that it didn't have, like not getting punched by some monk?
    I'm at least 90% sure that lions are entirely non-fictional.

Maybe 80%.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

Maybe 80%.

Have you ever had a conversation with a lion? If so, what did you talk about?

Have you ever punched a lion in the face? How did he or she respond to this action?

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    those complaints are echoes of fallout fans when they saw Fallout 3 (when it turns out their only leg to stand on was that it wasn't actually a sequel to Fallout 2)

because Fallout 2 had such marvelous combat how dare they change it

override367 on
  • Options
    SanguineAngelSanguineAngel Lord Centre of the UniverseRegistered User regular
    those complaints are echoes of fallout fans when they saw Fallout 3 (when it turns out their only leg to stand on was that it wasn't actually a sequel to Fallout 2)

because Fallout 2 had such marvelous combat how dare they change it

I... I liked the combat in fallout 2.

Maybe 80%.

Lions aren't real. They're a myth conjured up by the government to frighten us and keep us from leaving our urban prisons!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    wgrenwgren Registered User regular
    edited August 2014

That was not my only problem with Fallout 3. But let's not derail this thread.
    :)

I just had an idea - if you try to target an AOE ability so far away from the character that he/she needs to move before casting, the target circle cursor turns yellow. If provoking disengagement attacks, or moving you into the engagement radius of a new enemy, it turns red red. That isn't already in the game, right?

Another idea - someone on RPGCodex (I think) mentioned starting attributes defaulting to 10 rather than 3. You will still have points over and allocate the same number of attributes as now, but you will understand that you go below average if you start clicking the minus button. Currently some just jack their primary stat(s) to max and leave the rest at 3. My continuation of this idea: If you go below average you have a logarithmically increasing penalty (really small target areas, miniscule damage, really few hitpoints etc) to prevent dump stats. The attribute number and the minus button should turn yellow, and then red if you continue, with a tooltip that explains that are potentially getting into a really problematic character build. Or would that push everyone too firmly into always creating jack-of-all-trades characters? Balancing is hard!

wgren on
  • Options
    wgren wrote: »

That was not my only problem with Fallout 3. But let's not derail this thread.
    :)

I just had an idea - if you try to target an AOE ability so far away from the character that he/she needs to move before casting, the target circle cursor turns yellow. If provoking disengagement attacks, it's red. That isn't already in the game, right?

Another idea - someone on RPGCodex (I think) mentioned starting attributes defaulting to 10 rather than 3. You will still have points over and allocate the same number of attributes as now, but you will understand that you go below average if you start clicking the minus button. Currently some just jack their primary stat(s) to max and leave the rest at 3. My continuation of this idea: If you go below average you have a logarithmically increasing penalty (really small target areas, miniscule damage, really few hitpoints etc) to prevent dump stats. The attribute number and the minus button should turn yellow and then red with a tooltip that explains that are potentially getting into a really problematic character build. Or would that push everyone too firmly into always creating jack-of-all-trades characters? Balancing is hard!

This would also enable sniper strike fireballs :D no more friendly fire

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    You don't have to worry about friendly fire if your mage is a muscle wizard up in melee. Especially since there's a lot of spells that a) come out from the caster's position and b) they can aim the center of a targeted aoe further back as to not hit allies.

Heavy armored, high con, high might, and smashing things with melee spells.

Nothing about a Wizard in this game and stat system says they have to be in the back.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    As long as they have something that specifies that an average ability score is like a 9-12, I think starting with a 3 is probably fine. I do agree, starting at 10 and letting them subtract probably makes more sense, but then you might have people who don't realize they can subtract.

However, I think they should just add descriptors if you have your stats that low.

3 Strength - Picking up anything larger than a grain of sand and you'll break your back.
    3 Con - Don't sneeze or you'll die.
    3 Dex - Trying to stand up may result in you falling to your death.
    3 Int - You're an idiot. Try to remember to keep breathing.
    3 Wis - I've got this great plot of land in the Bahamas to sell you.
    3 Cha - You have the social graces of a rabid lion.

am0n on
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    That reminds me, I like the flavor text when picking stats in Fallout: New Vegas.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I hope everyone is sharing these wonderful ideas somewhere where Obsidian can see it/C2B works both ways.

• Options
    Josh Sawyer Guest article at Kotaku about the balancing process of games

http://kotaku.com/how-to-balance-an-rpg-1625516832

• Options
    edited August 2014
    I just lol at the people saying this is too modernized or too buggy. To the first point, modernization is good, modernize it more if anything. The less time I spend fiddling with menus the more time I spend having fun. I'm one of those heathens who saw ME2 as an improvement over ME1 in every way outside of Mako exploration, though.

As far as the second... Did they even play New Vegas?

Bubby on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Re: NV. I still say that it's silly to expect Obsidian's way smaller team to stamp out bugs that even bethesda still hasn't fixed

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Bubby wrote: »
    I just lol at the people saying this is too modernized or too buggy. To the first point, modernization is good, modernize it more if anything. The less time I spend fiddling with menus the more time I spend having fun. I'm one of those heathens who saw ME2 as an improvement over ME1 in every way outside of Mako exploration, though.

As far as the second... Did they even play New Vegas?

The ME1 inventory was so bad that removing it was an improvement in ME2 :P

The inventory UI looked great from the videos/screenshots. Only the spell casting UI looked as though it could somehow be improved but I'm not sure how exactly.

• Options
    Beta seems really hard. Was playing on easy with my cipher and got murdered by some beetles. I normally play crpgs for the story so combat ain't exactly my thing. Anyone else think it's too difficult? Or do I just suck?

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Beta seems really hard. Was playing on easy with my cipher and got murdered by some beetles. I normally play crpgs for the story so combat ain't exactly my thing. Anyone else think it's too difficult? Or do I just suck?

Theres lots of problems with the combat currently due to nothing really being adjusted, bugs and a lack of feedback.

Atm, just use pause or slow motion a lot and micromanage.

C2B on
  • Options
    Hi everyone!

New Backers: To make sure new backers can get their pledges in, we're allowing new backers to create pledges throughout the weekend. On Monday morning our time at about 10:30 AM (PDT) we'll close off new backers and will move to pre-ordering soon thereafter.

Existing Backers: If you're an existing backer and haven't confirmed your pledge order yet (you should have hopefully received an e-mail nag from us today about that if not!) please do so as time permits! To complete your pledge order, head to the Backer Portal and click on the Select Reward button to start.
    Do I have a Confirmed Order? If you're not sure if you have a confirmed pledge order, you can visit the Orders tab of your Account Profile. If you don't see any orders listed as Confirmed, please head to the Backer Portal and click on Select Reward to start the pledge finalization process!

Thank you so much for your support and have a great weekend!

Darren

• Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    am0n wrote: »
    As long as they have something that specifies that an average ability score is like a 9-12, I think starting with a 3 is probably fine. I do agree, starting at 10 and letting them subtract probably makes more sense, but then you might have people who don't realize they can subtract.

However, I think they should just add descriptors if you have your stats that low.

I'm trying to figure out what the general upper limit for conversation checks might be, because I worry about that maaaaybe a bit too much. The highest you can get an attribute appears to be 18, or 20 if you stack racial/background bonuses. You can't increase attributes on level up, so presumably the checks in the beginning of the game are close numerically to the checks towards the end. The intro previews' highest checks were at 15, and the highest check I've seen in the beta is 16 (and is a fairly impressive action), so most of them might not go above that, but I haven't dug too deep on this.

• Options

Same thing happened to me, it should be sorted out if they ever patch the beta.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    They said they would before it even started, so hopefully some of the combat stuff makes it into the first patch.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Ugh, fuck the internet.

C2B on
  • Options
    Feargus on Matt Chat Part 1
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=hBkvRaqcIKw

• Options
    Backer Beta presented by Jorge Salgado and Rose Gomez at 2:43

http://www.twitch.tv/twitch/c/5027673

V271

(Worth listening to for Jorge's voice alone <3 )

• Options
    @C2B any word on when the next patch is? I know my posts have been mostly negative but I'm digging what's been provided so far. This game is going to be damn sexy once it's been fully realized.