As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pillars of Eternity: It's out! Reviews are great!

1929394959698»

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2015
    I'd suggest to keep him until the end of his quest, as he has most payoff out of anybody. It's worth it, although he's got kind of a shitty build.

A duck! on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    A steak! wrote: »
    I'd suggest to keep him until the end of his quest, as he has most payoff out of anybody. It's worth it, although he's got kind of a shitty build.

He does have one thing going for him...
    Being one of the engineers of the Godhammer bomb and its fallout is kind of interesting.

But it gets kind of buried under all that yelling about how he wants to burn everyone to death.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    It's really frustrating how heavily this game seems to rely on dominate effects for difficulty. It doesn't necessarily make the fights harder, because the enemies are still squishy and incredibly vulnerable to CC, but even "easy" fights can need micromanagement because allies will begin to autoattack turncoat allies if not managed properly. Plus, it's very difficult to resist such effects because even half duration on the 10 second dominates enemies seem to have on-hit is still more than enough time to interrupt anything you were trying to do.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    Okay early in. How the fudge do I keep my wizard up? Teleporting specters suck...

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Priests are very nice, but ultimately optional. A druid has enough healing to make a priestless party work, I think.

This would be different if the priest buffs against mind control effects was more powerful. As it is, I find having a cipher and/or wizard around to dominate your dominated party members is a better counter. I've only had a dominated party member make the save against being dominated back by my party once. That left me rather rueful. "Oh sure, NOW you make the save."

Anyway, those confuse/dominate spells are just really hard to save against for some reason. It surprises me, because aside from petrify, it's probably the strongest effect in the game.

I do wish you could respec your party members though. I sprinted through the game to pick them all up as soon as I could and they still had weapon specializations and such that I really wish they didn't. Can you fix that with a mod? I don't care about achievements anymore.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Yeah, I agree. If priests could heal health it'd be a different matter, but there are so many ways to get Endurance back, and their buffs and debuffs are ultimately not that great (with a few exceptions) that they're largely optional.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Anyway, those confuse/dominate spells are just really hard to save against for some reason. It surprises me, because aside from petrify, it's probably the strongest effect in the game.

I think the problem is with their miss/graze/hit/crit system. Grazes still apply the spell effect, which seems silly to me (from a D&D perspective), just at half duration. But the duration of dominate effects is basically eternity. So you would need the spell/attack to entirely miss (which almost never happens) to avoid being dominated, while being grazed (which is frequent even with strong defenses) still dominates you for five seconds.

The worst is obviously banshees and other things with AoE paralyze. The majority of hits will be grazes or better, which will stun the majority of your party.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Als, as for priests, I dunno. Their buffs and debuffs can be pretty huge. Large AoE +15 to all defenses is amazing, and their level four spell that adds might and accuracy to allies and removes it from enemies is equally absurd (-10 might on enemies is a 30% damage debuff, along with their frequent misses).

There are several classes I'd put lower than the priest; the only reason they seem bad is because their healing isn't great, and that's probably just continuing the proud D&D tradition of in-combat healing being absolute ass.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    The thing bout Durance that got to me is that 90% of the time I was using up his spells to heal himself as opposed to other people, since the fucker always aggro'd super fast and took damage ridiculously fast.

Was so glad to be able to ditch his stupid ass for pellagia.

• Options
    JormungandrJormungandr Registered User regular
    He's very easy to miss since he only has a real conversation and offers to join your party after you talk to the lady on the tree. When you talk to him before hand he has very little dialog and is kind of standoffish. I only doubled back and picked him up because of people in this thread.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Dude, I killed your fiancee and her entire family. What makes you think you and your four guards, shiny as they are, will fare any better?

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Dude, I killed your fiancee and her entire family. What makes you think you and your four guards, shiny as they are, will fare any better?
    Optimism!

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Entering Raedric's Keep...
    Okay, I really should have seen if I could find out where the balls Raedric's room actually is. I ended up going on the parapets by sneaking on the wall, bullshitting my way through a hallway of monks by donning robes with my heavily armed, shield-wielding party, and somehow ended up in the dungeons.

Met Osrya, who made her case. Finding a cure for the Hollowborn would be pretty great! Except I have no particular reason to believe her. Or that Raedric would stop being a lunatic tyrant. And she goes around turning people into revenant without a care so I'm pretty sure she's kind of a psycho. So currently it seems that I can either ally with a psychopath to kill a zealot, probably there's an option to help the zealot and kill the psychopath, or just saying fuck it and killing the three of them while trying to minimize guard casualties.

This last option is gaining points by the minute.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Derrick wrote: »
    Holy Shit you guys! There's an option to turn on developer dialogue. Do it! It's really fun hearing about the development process. I hope it keeps up as the game rolls on.

I started the game with it on but immediately turned it off after there was a spoiler for events at the start of the game before they happened.

"We put in clues so the player can find out ahead of time that they're going to be ambushed." Dude, I haven't seen any of those clues yet!

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Holy Shit you guys! There's an option to turn on developer dialogue. Do it! It's really fun hearing about the development process. I hope it keeps up as the game rolls on.

I started the game with it on but immediately turned it off after there was a spoiler for events at the start of the game before they happened.

"We put in clues so the player can find out ahead of time that they're going to be ambushed." Dude, I haven't seen any of those clues yet!

Oh yeah. I don't recommend it for the first playthrough. It's totally immersion breaking.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular

Just pretend you're roleplaying as a psychic/precognitive character.

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular

Role playing as a Malkavian in this game would be rather interesting.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Playing as a barbarian on hard. She is slowly coming into her own. But Eder still feels like the main damn character. The dude has saved so many fights. Just running in with his giant shield, tanking everything, while my lady goes berserk and starts cleaving away at enemies. I think the problem is early on the class is so fragile it feels unrewarding. Now that I have a priest, wizard, and chanter on the back line she's able to actually dish out some serious damage. It's pretty wonderful when she hits an enemy so hard they explode and the explosion kills the enemy beside them.

Still though. Feels like Eder is the main character because she has had so few heroic moments whereas in the majority of hard fights he's doing the heavy lifting.

He is the Brienne of Tarth to her Jamie Lannister

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    I am getting really tired of compromising with game breaking bugs, freezes, and crashes to play this game.]

It is literally inches from me putting it away forever.

• Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    Rend wrote: »
    I am getting really tired of compromising with game breaking bugs, freezes, and crashes to play this game.]

It is literally inches from me putting it away forever.

Have you applied the GoG patch yet?

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    The only bug that's really bothering me is the one that invalidates your extra weapon slots. It's only obnoxious on party members because dropping them from the group and readding them fixes it. I have no idea how to get my third weapon slot back on my character, though, which has currently cost him his pistol.

• Options
    Raedric Hold (slight) Spoiler:
    It feels so damn good to just kick in the door this time and kill everyone. Last time, playing a rogue, I snuck in, made some deals, and wore disguises to make my way to the keep lord. This time? I just destroyed the damn guards (without resting, at level 4). I'm going to murder Kolsc this run because I'm evvvvillll and I want to see if he becomes a fampyr later anyway.

I do so love actual forks in my RPGs.

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Theres going to be a kickstarted Pillars card game in conjunction with Christopher Taylor (the Fallout one) and Obsidians expansion will consist of two parts.

C2B on
  • Options
    AeolusdallasAeolusdallas Registered User regular
    Okay early in. How the fudge do I keep my wizard up? Teleporting specters suck...
    Have the party hang way back and have Eder pull them. More often then not they will waste their port to get behind him. Then have the rest of the party enter the fray

• Options
    imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular
    anyone having luck with path of the damned now that chill fog isnt stupidly OP? I restarted; my current config is 3 fighter tanks, cipher priest chanter

been chugging along but those forest shamblers are ruining me.

• Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Uuugh this Master Below fight. Having a challenge at the bottom is a must, but it's a bit much.

Edit: Of course, the solution is to complain about it on the internet and then try right afterwards.

Darlan on
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    imdointhis wrote: »
    anyone having luck with path of the damned now that chill fog isnt stupidly OP? I restarted; my current config is 3 fighter tanks, cipher priest chanter

been chugging along but those forest shamblers are ruining me.

There's a new thread, but for what it's worth, after that nerf, I pulled my Mage and am using Cipher, Chanter, Druid, Priest instead. Both Ciphers and Druids have stuck powers you might find useful against Forest Shamblers. (but I don't play on potd)

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    There's a new thread? But we're only at 98!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    @TychoCelchuuu suffers from premature e-thread-creation.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
  • Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    Road Block wrote: »

Role playing as a Malkavian in this game would be rather interesting.
    Malkavians: still just Chaotic Neutral with a better writer than that guy.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476