As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Standby for [Titanfall] - Now Available for Xbox One and PC

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    i mean if you're getting flanked it's not really the gun that's the problem

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Smart pistol face to face duels are the best.

Do you try to actually aim and just go for the regular head shots or do you try to hold out for the lock on?

Especially when you both go for the lock on and it turns red just as the other person shoots you.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    how are you supposed to not get flanked? the I can barely move around with wasd it isn't my fault keyboards are dumb for traversal.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Uriel wrote: »
    how are you supposed to not get flanked? the I can barely move around with wasd it isn't my fault keyboards are dumb for traversal.

i'm not saying it's not tough to not get flanked, I'm saying you getting killed by the smart pistol has more to do with getting flanked than to do with the smart pistol being OP

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
  • Options
    I know but I don't like how it plays into the flanking part of the game.

it would probably help of they didn't bind so many extra keys around the movement keys apparently for people with skinny crab hands.

I should rebind everything.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    The only key I had a problem with was melee.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I'm very against this movement to change the default crouch key from Ctrl to C

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I'm very against this movement to change the default crouch key from Ctrl to C

But c is the default melee in titanfall

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Default melee should always be V!

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    It should be anything other than c I just meant the default crouch in titanfall was indeed ctrl

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    The correct button for melee is mouse 4 or 5, but some silly people don't have those buttons.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    I tried mapping all the buttons to my mouse but the only one I can remember to use is PTT.

I really should stop buying mice with ~50 million buttons because I am always bad about using them.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    I actually use mouse 3 for melee and 4 and 5 for ordnance and tactical ability.

• Options
    QuirkyLittleTyrantQuirkyLittleTyrant A Mug Featuring Pichu On A Cloud Registered User regular
    Origin ID is QLittleT

I am terrible at shooting mans but I do like this game as it sort of lets me cheat against skilled players (i.e. being in a giant robot, a magic gun that gives me headshots if I can stay alive for a bit). The campaign is not well executed. I was hoping for a more two-sided conflict instead of "clearly evil vs lovable ragtag rebels" but it's attractive and functional if not especially interesting.

And is Blisk South African or Aussie?

PSN ID: Khrysocome
    Steam: ZappRowsdower
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    South African

• Options
    Blisk is definitely a Boer. The other guy sounds austrailian

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2014
    The campaign is hot garbage...kinda? I mean, it's fun because it's just multiplayer, but as a means of delivery for any kind of story I'm not sure why they even bothered. The player is so far removed from the plot that everything fades into the background, especially since there's no real mechanical feedback to reflect story developments except for pre and post game bits.

It's also a rather painless way to get the titan unlocks, but I just wonder why a campaign even exists. It doesn't even serve as a bog standard "I just want to screw around by myself" mode. On the other hand, it's not Brink and I feel like I should be especially thankful for that.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    Honestly I'm just glad they tried something different rather than another corridor shooter filled with scripted events.

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    The main standout thing in campaign is the intro for Demeter, on both sides.

That's a pretty cool way to start a match

Steam ID
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I dunno.

The story is not that great.

But I'd actually would have really liked it if there were a bunch of teeny tiny intros to each multiplayer like you got with the campaign missions. They were fun. Showing up just to fight made it feel a little big standard multiplayer.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    I went through about 90% of the campaign before I realised that little videos of whatever dramatic event is happening are playing in the corner of your screen while you fight.

Veldrin on
  • Options
    Veldrin wrote: »
    I went through about 90% of the campaign before I realised that little videos of whatever dramatic event is happening are playing in the corner of your screen while you fight.

The whole time I was like who is filming this who

Who

• Options
    Langly wrote: »
    Veldrin wrote: »

The whole time I was like who is filming this who

Who

robots

Steam ID
  • Options
    QuirkyLittleTyrantQuirkyLittleTyrant A Mug Featuring Pichu On A Cloud Registered User regular
    Spyglass's little robot combat vest is so cute.

PSN ID: Khrysocome
    Steam: ZappRowsdower
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    the only thing that I seriously enjoyed in the campaign was (this is not a spoiler because who cares, but it is a funny/terrible moment so you might want to just play through the IMC part yourself, I don't know)
    After Graves defect, Blisk greets the pilots and he's like

Ok Pilots, listen up, here is a message from your new vice-admiral (pause for effect) - Spyglass

I just almost did a spit-take, it tickled me to no end. The scene is played so straight but it's so bad and I'm sure the humor was unintentional, but man it was some good timing.

Langly on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I was on fire last night.

Had an awesome maneuver me where I rodeo'd an enemy titan, took it down, then used the boost jump to land in the escape pod with a second left.

• Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    I just had a Hardpoint game go down to the wire. Right at the end, I was trying to capture point B on Nexus. Took out 2 guys who were capping there and a third guy who popped in while I was capturing the point. Finished the capture and two or three seconds later we won the game 400-399.

God damn, that felt good.

• Options
    Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    The only thing I liked about the Campaign is that you play as just a random grunt following around the "heroes" and you aren't The Chosen One that is here to save the world.

WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • Options
    tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    ctrl has been and always will be "crouch."

i moved melee to F, grenades to G, and Titanfall to mouse5

• Options
    Tugga, are you me?

I'm pretty sure you are.

• Options
    the spare titan burn card is pretty damn overpowered. Starting with a titan, especially a stryder, lets you get to the middle point and just sit there and rack kills up.

Also, I think I played for a few hours before I realized the 40mm cannon was semi-auto, not auto

• Options
    Oh, and add me to the origin name list, tuckerpewpew

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    tugga wrote: »
    the spare titan burn card is pretty damn overpowered. Starting with a titan, especially a stryder, lets you get to the middle point and just sit there and rack kills up.

Also, I think I played for a few hours before I realized the 40mm cannon was semi-auto, not auto

So...what, you were holding the button and didn't notice it would only fire once?

• Options
    You know the smart pistol is pretty cool against grunts and stuff.

But I think it actually shines when you ignore the lock on and just fire super fast at pilots.

• Options
    Got the K/D up to about 1.5 today, most of the day I've had a ~3.0 last 10 average. Had my first 20 pilot kill game earlier tonight.

Also, had probably the coolest moment. Laid into an Atlas with my 40mm, he ejects and I flick shoot up and hit the pilot at the peak of his jump. Apparently you need to do this 50 times to get to Gen 7

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    sigh

ended up having to get this refunded off Origin, just couldn't get it running consistently

on that note, man, Origin and EA was one of the best customer service experiences I've ever had!

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Veretas wrote: »
    Honestly I'm just glad they tried something different rather than another corridor shooter filled with scripted events.

I'm not. First up, it's not so much different, it's still a linear corridor shooter, it's just the middle meat uses multiplayer maps and modes instead of an actual level with ai to face.

But mainly I'm one of those weirdos that doesn't mind campaigns with scripted events as a focus, sometimes I just wanna relax and have a roller coaster ride through set pieces and scripted events, it fleshes out the world and makes multiplayer feel like it has context.

Also, unlike COD, Titanfall's world is one I wouldn't mind going through an on-rails tour of. It's got a unique enough setting, cool art design and great landscapes and set pieces. A single player campaign would've been a nice piece of the puzzle to give context and explore a world that's only really hinted at in art and scenery. I mean its fine, just saying I actually would've enjoyed a single player campaign in this case even more.

Ultimately it's not that big a deal, but I actually don't mind linear corridor shooter campaigns on principle, if the execution is well done. I mean something being open and non-linear doesn't automatically equal good.

Prohass on
  • Options
    Yeah, sometimes a dumb fun interactive action movie really hits the spot.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    I could see it being very difficult to built a typical FPS campaign for titanfall simply because of the mobility the game gives the player. Can't do the basic corridor shooter thing when a player can scale a building in a couple seconds

It would be neat to see what they could come up with for it though

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID