As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Castlevania / Bloodstained

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Source on the info of Nintendo stopping sales of the wii u?

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Source on the info of Nintendo stopping sales of the wii u?

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/04/28/nintendos-strategy-greatly-reduce-wii-u-console-production-shipping/

While looking for that I found a new report that indicates Nintendo has ALREADY stopped selling the Wii U in the UK.

http://www.cgmagonline.com/2016/09/23/nintendo-stop-selling-wii-u-consoles-uk-oct-1st/

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    Playing through Symphony again. God this game is so good.
    This. Of course, it's a blessing and a curse, as the series has never re-achieved those heights (an opinion of course). And the game redefined what a "Castlevania" game was to metroidvania.

But damn; that soundtrack. Instantly recognizable even today; Dance of Pales, Lost Painting, Wood Carving Partita, etc.

• Options
    I'm of a few minds about Symphony. On the one hand, it's a really good game and absolutely holds up today. On the other hand, I feel as though it maybe has too many ideas and toys that it tried to implement all at once. There are some systems I barely touch at all because they're just too time consuming or not as fun to use as the other dozen things I could be having Alucard do (does anyone evolve the sword familiar without grinding?). But on a third hand, its successors also have their fair share of questionable design (who the hell decided that every one of those sequels needed awful random chance grinding? At least Alucard gets his cool magic as a matter of course, Soma.).

So at the end of the day, I ultimately like it quite a lot. Now, where did I put my copy of DXC?

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    IGN's got a great interview with Iga.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/10/05/why-bloodstained-was-delayed-to-2018

The delay is largely due to the huge amount of money they got, and their desire to actually put in all that extra content at release.

Interesting quote on Inti:
    “If you look at what you saw here, that's some of Inti, and some of us. But if you looked at the demo that out at E3 that everybody liked, that was Inti's quality bar that they put forward and made. They are able to come out with high quality,” Iga explained. “However, to your point, one of the issues is that their style of building on a game, while it does tend to come up with high quality when they spend the time on it, they don't necessarily have the true understanding of how to procedurally use the best tools in Unreal. Without being able to use those, you can't create the game in the most efficient manner that you need to.”

“While we were working together to make sure it had everything in it, it was quite clear that we needed to bring in another team that is able to take that procedural know-how to be able to take something, copy it, use some random generation to populate an area in a more computer-driven way rather than people doing it all by hand,” he said. “Without doing that, just the sheer size of what we're trying to create would never be done on time. So bringing in someone to help like that is definitely necessary to make sure that we're going to make the game at the right quality, but also hitting this new timeline.”

Iga acknowledged that once a new studio comes on board, Inti Creates role in making Bloodstained will be reduced because they aren’t making the procedural pieces of the game.

And some waffling about whether or not the Wii U port will happen. Given the game's been pushed back to 2018 and Nintendo will literally stop selling the Wii U by March (if not before), I can understand if that version gets canned.

It would be nice if, in the event the Wii U version get canned, they move it to the NX. But that's also easier said than done.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    metaghost wrote: »
    I honestly confused them for Curt Schilling's defunct 535 Games and was extremely confused.

Curt Shilling's boondoggle was originally named Green Monster Games, and then 38 Studios. I can't find any listing for 535 Games.

Hmmm, I could've sworn there was a random credit for 535 Games on their... uh... Action RPG whose name I can't recall.

Memory. :P

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I honestly confused them for Curt Schilling's defunct 535 Games and was extremely confused.

Curt Shilling's boondoggle was originally named Green Monster Games, and then 38 Studios. I can't find any listing for 535 Games.

Hmmm, I could've sworn there was a random credit for 535 Games on their... uh... Action RPG whose name I can't recall.

Memory. :P

Haha, yeah, the 38 Studios debacle is kind of confusing, especially since there's so little to show for it and it was several years go.

The one game they actually released was developed by Big Huge Games. IIRC, a lot of that game was already done by the time 38 Studios bought them, so 38 Studios simply made it fit the larger Amalur story/setting they were going for with the MMO they wasted RI taxpayer money on.

• Options
    I'm of a few minds about Symphony. On the one hand, it's a really good game and absolutely holds up today. On the other hand, I feel as though it maybe has too many ideas and toys that it tried to implement all at once. There are some systems I barely touch at all because they're just too time consuming or not as fun to use as the other dozen things I could be having Alucard do (does anyone evolve the sword familiar without grinding?). But on a third hand, its successors also have their fair share of questionable design (who the hell decided that every one of those sequels needed awful random chance grinding? At least Alucard gets his cool magic as a matter of course, Soma.).

So at the end of the day, I ultimately like it quite a lot. Now, where did I put my copy of DXC?

It's the game that taught me that man is nothing more than a miserable little pile of secrets, so it's also got that going for it.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I barely use magic in Symphony and there's an entire damage types systems in the game that isn't surfaced at all and I don't really engage with. Still a mind-blowing game.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Been some time, but we have an update.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iga/bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night/posts/1726987
    We've got some more news from IGA to report! This time he's here to tell you a bit about the new developers on the project, before they introduce themselves in their own words.

Hello everyone! This is IGA.

For this month's update, I'd like to introduce you to our new development team.

First up is DICO, a studio with a long history of localization and global development work. Many of the people here are fans of my work, and they're looking forward to working on the project.

We've gathered a lot of reliable core team members for the project—in fact, one of them is a talented programmer I've worked with in the past. I have high expectations for this team—since they know my previous work inside and out, it will be easy to convey exactly what I envision for the game. DICO will be on the frontline for this stage of the main development.

Next up is Monobit, a group of exceptional programmers who have experience working on game engines. They'll be providing support on all technical aspects of the project. Already they've proven capable of evaluating the challenges of this project from their own point of view and providing solutions that were easy to understand and implement. We're especially impressed by their facility in creating new tools.

Since we're reorganizing the development structure, our development updates may be a little bit less frequent for the moment. But with the help of these two development studios, I believe we'll be able to deliver the quality output that the team and the backers are both anticipating.

And here's a video DICO and Monobit passed along for you. (That's IGA holding the camera.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc4Ili3dvwM

• Options
    Wait, they dumped Inti?

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Wait, they dumped Inti?

It didn't occur to me, but I guess so? To be honest, maybe even for the best after the mess that was Mighty No. 9. I kind of wonder if inti creates has been stretching their small team too thin with all these projects (off hand, I know they were doing work on MN9, Shantae, Azure Striker Gunvolt 2, and Bloodstained all at once, maybe one more...). Granted I suspect they were doing different levels of effort on each (ex: for Shantae, WayForward probably did most of the work... Maybe they lended some coding grunts or something to the project)

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Just wanted to post this weave from the fan art section because it's fucking rad:

82f4b22ae0db6f37eb6de6be783caf71_original.png?w=639&fit=max&v=1479509385&auto=format&lossless=true&s=b89bb773800e88ff3b2a8b413248b4d3

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Wait, they dumped Inti?

It didn't occur to me, but I guess so? To be honest, maybe even for the best after the mess that was Mighty No. 9. I kind of wonder if inti creates has been stretching their small team too thin with all these projects (off hand, I know they were doing work on MN9, Shantae, Azure Striker Gunvolt 2, and Bloodstained all at once, maybe one more...). Granted I suspect they were doing different levels of effort on each (ex: for Shantae, WayForward probably did most of the work... Maybe they lended some coding grunts or something to the project)

Seems Iga might be a little more interested in the quality of the game than Inafune was with MN9. Seemed MN9 was more about starting a cash generating franchise (which didn't seem to work). Bloodstained seems to be about getting a great game out. Maybe Inti couldn't deliver on that?

That is a cynical opinion there, I know. And it is still too early to have the utmost faith in Bloodstained. But I think even the demo we got (which was VERY early in development honestly) was better than anything we had for a long time with MN9. But I get a much better vibe here, which means I think any changes in the team were because it would be better for the final product.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Glixel has an interview up with Koji Igarashi:

Here's the direct link
    if you can't see twitter embeds.

• Options
    President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    That was a good read!

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    The most interesting part to me is where Iga states he would be incredibly honored if Nintendo approached him to create a Metroid game. Talk about a thing that will never happen.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    nnnn I'm not sure that'd result in the Metroid game I'd personally want to see

Maybe a good game, but I don't think Iga would be the best to handle what has proven to be a delicate Samus character situation.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    He couldn't do any worse.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Who said Inti was out? I thought with the last update, IGA said he was looking to bring on more help, not different help?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Who said Inti was out? I thought with the last update, IGA said he was looking to bring on more help, not different help?

They might not be, but the way it's worded, it kind of sounds that way

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    He couldn't do any worse.

"Stick a cleavage window in the Power Suit."

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Castlevania could be making a return! ....in animated form.

Interestingly enough this take could come from Frederator Studios, which has held the rights for an eternity (and made a little show called Adventure Time along the way).

Huh. I guess Konami no longer giving a shit about its franchises means other people can do things with them?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Interestingly enough this take could come from Frederator Studios, which has held the rights for an eternity (and made a little show called Adventure Time along the way).

Huh. I guess Konami no longer giving a shit about its franchises means other people can do things with them?

But will it top its previous animated appearance?
    Simon-belmont-captain-n.jpg

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

Acceptable!

Thread revival has reminded me to start Momadora.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Fucking sick. Really excited to see how that turns out, would love a show based on Castlevania.

• Options
    I hear "animated Castlevania series", and my mind snaps to Jojo.

A different arc for each Belmont in the line would be an interesting way to tell the story.

If it was me, I'd want to have an arc showing Julius in his prime.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Not enough CHAROTTO

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    I hear "animated Castlevania series", and my mind snaps to Jojo.

A different arc for each Belmont in the line would be an interesting way to tell the story.

If it was me, I'd want to have an arc showing Julius in his prime.

Tis Me Belmont! Tis DIO....I Mean Dracula!!!!
    ....ZA WORLDO!

• Options
    I just got the third crest in Momodora. Where do you go next? I just scoured the map and I don't have any new paths. The Memorial area is still blocked off to me.

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    I'm guessing they are trying to showcase the new local but maybe if they could use more natural lightning and shadows it wouldn't seem so off. It looks like the viewer is shining floodlights on the scene.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    The rooftops you can jump on in particular seem a little weird, like they're paper-thin.

• Options
    So thats the 21st Century upgrade for Alucard's aura. Not quite on MvC3 Magneto's level but I approve.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    This is the text from the update:
    Merry Christmas! This is IGA.

Last update we shared how we build the environment, so for this update, we would like to introduce you to a new stage based on that method. Previously, we shared the ship and the castle entrance. I would like to introduce you to the village this time.

As we mentioned at the beginning of our Kickstarter campaign, Bloodstained takes place in a castle! So now you're probably thinking, "What's this, a village?"

I thought so, too, but yes: We have a village. In the narrative, we're still headed to the island where the castle emerged. There's a village nearby that we'll have to pass through on our way to the castle entrance.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lROTq4QkIyI

As you can tell from the video, the village is red, which has nothing to do with Christmas! During the eruption of the Laki volcanic fissure in 1783 and 1784, "the afternoon sky was dark as night and red as blood," according to a contemporary saying from Hampshire, England. So we tried to express that in the afternoon scene you see here.

Building your visuals from a piece of historical data makes the world more realistic. (The internet is so useful!) The village is also under the demons' attack, so of course there will be enemies here. We are also planning to put a shop here to support the player, and you'll find Johannes, who we introduced previously, here too.

In addition to Johannes...Oh, we can't quite tell you yet, but you'll hear more about them in our later updates. Please look forward to it.

Finally, I would like to answer a few more of your questions for next month's update. After that, we've invited Michiru-san to answer questions for a future update.

Ask IGA

For next month's Ask IGA, he'll will be answering his favorite questions from multiple categories:
    • Gameplay
    • Storyline
    • Development
    • IGA / Wild Card

If you'd like to ask one, tweet @SwordOrWhip using the #AskIGA hashtag.

Honestly I think the main problem is it's missing effects - fire, monsters, etc. It just looks too sterile without that stuff so that's why it looks kind of weird in the video. It does look pretty cool though in terms of art style.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    I saw this thing when the Kickstarter first went out. It seemed like they were going to make a HD, 2D game with really good art. That is, I expected a HD version of Dawn of Sorrow with the kind of sprites Vanillaware might make (minus the giant boobs).

Anyway, yesterday I saw that village level and IMO it looks atrocious. This thing is gonna need to improve many times over for me to buy it.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I mean I think the artistic direction is pretty good. Its clearly a super early concept. There is always a chance it never improves but I do not think that is anything close to a final product and isn't really being shown as such.

Its really supposed to just be a behind the scenes development update for backers. I could be wrong though.

I think the demo they had going not far back is a better show of how it will look overall, and that looked pretty great.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Kriegaffe wrote: »
    I saw this thing when the Kickstarter first went out. It seemed like they were going to make a HD, 2D game with really good art. That is, I expected a HD version of Dawn of Sorrow with the kind of sprites Vanillaware might make (minus the giant boobs).

Anyway, yesterday I saw that village level and IMO it looks atrocious. This thing is gonna need to improve many times over for me to buy it.

Your expectation is why they were warning people that the concept images were no where near the final concept. In particular, they more or less said early, early on that they were going with 3D models over Vanillaware-type sprites, and there was some (I think undue) backlash.

I, for one, am going to be more interested in how smooth it plays, though I actually like the look of it, myself. I feel like nixing a game just based on its look alone is a bit shallow, to be honest.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    You know, all other considerations of development aside, having Bloodstained come out in 2018 would also make no longer having a WiiU version a bit more palatable a development.

This discussion has been closed.