As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Neotoma Presents: The Last Gloss Standing

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Since Atomos’ Bardic Lore: Dead and Undead is directly relevant to the current situation at hand, would he like to attempt to Spout Lore?
    Is Lockrin sure he wants to leave boopsie at the Bar?
    Barysboro Woods: Cave Entrance

Thanks to Ash’s excellent tracking skills and the research she did earlier the group makes good time and the trip that could have taken 3-4 days only takes two.(-1 Day)
    Also no earthquakes happen, which is just super great for everyone. How lucky is that?

Tacitus once again proving that he’s smarter than the average dog, makes sure no one pigs out rations. (Everyone loses only 2 dungeon rations).

The costuming seems to work well as over the course of the trip no spiders attack. Although that could just as easily be due the work of Baro, who has diligently pointed out all gossamer trip lines, out of place beds of foliage, and packs of fiends migrating overhead. By the morning of the third day the webbing between the trees over head is so thick, it’s as dark as night.

Due the Dinosaur doorman’s excellent scouting you manage to overhear a conversation at the entrance to a cave before they notice you.
    “Don’t touch that man! Brody I’ll be pissed if he’s gotta redo your golem again.”
    “I know it just, it itches like crazy having this stuff on my face.”
    “Uh, I got the same sitch right here and you aint see me being a bitch about it bruh. Just be cool and keep watch”
    “You know he is just saying that right. Who the hell is gonna track their dumb asses all the way out here?”

New Portsmuth: The Streets

Aziz in Hound form and Lockrin track their quarry. The robed man goes down the rain slick alleyway, past the smelly fishmarket, down an alley, over a fence, past an old looking building, and then down the main street towards the docks. It appears he hasn't notcied you guys yet. What do you do?

NeoToma on
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Baro | L1 | Saurian Thief - Street Rat | HP 21/21 | XP 02 | DMG D8 | AR 1

Baro tries to wave the party a safe distance away from the cave entrance and pulls out some raw Golden Root from his person.

Baro's thoughts
    If we can get these drug mages to put some of this golden root in their pipe, they probably won't feel the full effect of a prepared potion.
    They'll likely be more cooperative, and might still allow us to avoid a fight though. Hard to be sure of anything with drug mages.
    Every problem looks like it's missing a golden key these day, but it's still probably worth discussing with the party.
    Baro Sighs and bends over to rub his heel. He appreciates the diligence of Quartermaster Dog, but Baro's ankles were still sore from Tacitus's wake up from morning camp.
    Tacitus was a hard being to hold a grudge to, and Baro considered how useful that ability might be here.

Still, I can't expect ol Puppy Saint to just go along with drugging people in the woods.
    Zakuya and Ash were still going to be more charming to mages than my shady ass, but do I even want to tell them about Golden Root?
    It'll likely drudge up a whole host of questions, I don't want to answer.

"Ash, you've lead us right to persons near a cave system, which is more than I could hope for. Zakuya was right about this party's efforts.
    Listen, I tinker with herbals on the side, and found some of THIS while scouting my way in."

(I imagine Baro is a terrible at lying, and folk may have already encountered this root before) Baro produces some of the raw goldenroot to show to Zakuya and Ash.
    "Get them to smoke this in their pipe, and they'll likely be more cooperative than normal, as long as you keep their attention, or uh... so I've heard. Never tried such a trick myself.
    If you just want to go in and just kick some ass, that's fine too. Do you have an idea of how to move forward? Sounds like two mages outside with at least one Golem for each person"

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    I should probably note you haven't seen them yet, these voices are coming from inside the cave. Getting close enough to see them would be a Defy Danger roll with either wis or dex.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Will they be able to find us quickly if Boopsy doesn't lead them?

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    NeoToma wrote: »
    Since Atomos’ Bardic Lore: Dead and Undead is directly relevant to the current situation at hand, would he like to attempt to Spout Lore?

Bardic Lore doesn't actually use the spout lore action, they're separate things.

Bardic Lore: The Dead and Undead

When you first encounter an important creature, location, or item (your call) covered by your bardic lore you can ask the GM any one question about it; the GM will answer truthfully. The GM may then ask you what tale, song, or legend you heard that information in.

So what important creature, location, or item am I asking a question about? Is it just the old religious man? Or maybe his book he showed me?

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    Thanks for the clarification, that is a far more useful ability now.

And it's up to you. Whatever seems most useful.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Will they be able to find us quickly if Boopsy doesn't lead them?

I just asked because Khar also has a minon that can track. Boopsie would probably be a little bit better because it knows you but not by much.

NeoToma on
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Oh, I forgot about that.

Well, I can edit my post or something, because having her along might be useful.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Ash | L1 | Human Spellslinger - Grizzled | HP 20/20 | XP 03 | DMG D8 | AR 1

"I mean, if you can think of a way to walk up to them and not have them immediately try to kill us, lemme know. 'Cuz right now they're a) on edge and b) not planning on having any company. So, honestly, I feel like getting the first shot might work about better than trying to bullshit 'em. If what they just said is anything to go by, the golems might have a pretty substantial weak spot. Also, uh, there are a couple of them I need alive, so try to be slightly less lethal than normal. No bounty reward for dead men."

While she talks, Ash studies her surroundings for anything they can use to their advantage.

Geth roll 2d6+2 for Discern Realities

EDIT: oof

Discern Realities:
    2d6+2 4 [2d6=1, 1]

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2015

Ash scans the area for anything useful. Unfortunately, her search is cut short by a, "You hear that bro?" from the cave. She must of rustled something or stepped on a twig.

Ash marks 1 exp.

A man...made 90% of smooth river pebbles runs out. The last 10% of his form is a boulder on top of the roughly 5 foot high humanoid. The boulder has three holes surrounded by a painted on circle forming a crude approximation of a human face. Purple light pours out of his face holes.

A larger figure follows the pebble man. However, instead of of a body of shifting pebbles, his main body is a boulder about 5 foot in diameter with feet and hands of large stone as almost as big as tacitus connected to the body with limbs of gravel. The head stone is roughly same on the second golem, and due to his increased bulk, the head stone is at like 6-7 feet up.

"I ain't hear shit man over the sound of your bitching." The Boulder Golem says, after he steps out and looks around, light from his face holes pulsing in time with his words.
    "I swear I heard something," The pebble-man's head shifts left to right searching the forest.
    "You jus tripping dawg. You paranoid."

NeoToma on
  • Options
    CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    Bring her. Also, I suggest we stay quiet and keep following. If this guy is meeting someone, we want to know.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    4aaapqe5gy3m.jpg

NeoToma on
  • Options
    Edited
    Lockrin Stonemauler | L1 | Dwarven Ranger - Commando | HP 21/21 | XP 00 | DMG D8 | AR 1

"Alright, then. Atomos, you and Bog do that quick cleanup you mentioned. Catch up when you can and don't tarry."

He jogs to the door, Boopsy trailing behind. "Okay 'Ziz, let's hunt. Maybe describe the scent, too, and I'll pick it up as we go."

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    New Portsmuth: The Streets

Aziz in Hound form and Lockrin track their quarry. The robed man goes down the rain slick alleyway, past the smelly fishmarket, down an alley, over a fence, past an old looking building, and then down the main street towards the docks. It appears he hasn't notcied you guys yet. What do you do?
    Lockrin Stonemauler | L1 | Dwarven Ranger - Commando | HP 21/21 | XP 00 | DMG D8 | AR 1

Raising a finger to his lips, he studies the situation.

Edit: on a 9, one question: what is about to happen here.

Geth roll 2d6+1 for Discern Realities

Discern Realities:
    2d6+1 9 [2d6=4, 4]

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Have I mentioned how much I love that Boopsie is huge and frightening, but also stealthy? Beware the Suprise Bear.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015

Baro's never seen a golem before. Judging by the conversation they were being directly controlled by two different men. How easy it would be to ignore these monsters and just slay the handlers.
    Easier than a fight, but Ash wants the men alive, and Baro did not intend to stand in her way of a bounty again.

Baro understood 3 self made rules about dangerous opponents
    If you notice they approach, hide.
    If you must fight them, ambush.
    If you can't kill them, disable.

Baro attempts to quietly move behind foliage and circle himself to the 7 foot Boulder golem's back. His right hand tightly gripping the two arms of his shoulder spider pelt.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Geth roll 2d6+2 "Baro: Defy Danger"

"Baro: Defy Danger":
    2d6+2 8 [2d6=3, 3]

• Options
    edited August 2015
    New Portsmuth: The Docks

The tide is high and the moon is waning. It'll be a New moon tomorrow. Water spashes against the shore where the man waits.

Unlike earlier at the bar, the robed man does not seem nearly as nervous. While he does carefully scan for any followers, he more seems to be more like he is waiting for someone. You can assume from the fact he doesn't seem to be carrying anything that he's probably here to either pick something up or communicate some information.

What is about to happen here? He's about to meet someone to communicate some information.

While you are close enough to get a good view of him without him noticing Lockrin or Boopsie, (both of whom the Robed Man has seen before and would recognize from the bar) getting close enough to hear any conversation that might occur might be risky.

The Street Rat smoothly and deftly gets behind The boulderman without either of the golems noticing his presence. It looks like the boulder man isn't a well put together as might be assumed from first look. There are climbable cracks on his back, and a big poorly sealed crack on the back of his "head" with the same pulsing light of his "power source?" pouring out.

NeoToma on
  • Options
    Have I mentioned how much I love that Boopsie is huge and frightening, but also stealthy? Beware the Suprise Bear.

That is precisely what I loved about this build, and just had to do it.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options

Lockrin begins whispering to Dog'ziz "He's waiting for someone. I think you and Boopsy ought to circle round either side and pincer them while I hang back and snipe the legs of runners. Whatcha think?"

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    Thanks for the clarification, that is a far more useful ability now.

And it's up to you. Whatever seems most useful.

Alright, let's try this. Might be a bit too far from The Dead and Undead in which case I'll submit an alternate question.

What deities are opposed to this soul stealing Kraken God?

(don't count Shock's, I assume we all already know about that one)

Getting a bond with a religious group just sounds cool, I'll admit I'm a bit jealous of chocolate having two of them. Unlike most bards I play Atomos is probably a bit religiously inclined also.

• Options

Magic is confounding. Clearly the controllers of the Golem can, through magical means, perceive sight and sound through mere portals in rock.
    The mages can obviously coordinate movements and actions of the mechanization, but did they actually perceive what the Golems touch?
    If I stabbed a random crevice of the rock, would the operators feel anything at all? If I climbed the towering giant, would the operators even know?
    I don't know what the purple light streaming from the eyes are, but if I covered a Golem's face with this spider costume, would it's operator be blind, or is their vision from a different point all together?
    Damn Mages! I'm not in shape for this type of work.

Baro is going to try to climb up to tie the spider costume over Boulder Golem's face, and then hang on.

Contradiction: The FMV Game Spoilers
    49wcz4w8pijb.gif

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Aziz Light /Human Druid /Vision quest: Wolf/ L1 / HP: 19/19 / Armor: 1 / DMG D6 / XP: 01

"Or how about this. I go up and around, begging for treats and listen to what they're saying. You and Boops get into position. When I bark, you and Boops jump on 'em." Aziz shifts his body a bit, tightening up his skin to look thin, with his ribs showing. He rolls in the dirt a few times to roughen up his fur and get it mangy. Then he walks out into the square, sniffing the ground, with long droopy eyes that are just begging for a bite of food.

• Options
    edited August 2015

What deities are opposed to this soul stealing Kraken God?
    New Portsmuth: The Tavern

Kraken god? In his studies of the Death and the Undead, Atomos has never encountered anything similar to what he's seen from this Kraken god. There's a god of death associated with the sea but that dude is way to austere for this flashy shit. In fact most death gods are kinda boring. Everything dies man, you just gotta wait. Death Gods are pretty good, on the whole, with waiting shit out. However, they really don't like getting their shit stolen. Most other dieties know this and in turn know better than playing in a death goddess'/god's domain.

Stealing souls with items and contracts? That's not really most death deities' style. Too patient. Now a demon? Those petty, scheming, power hungry, little buggers? This kind of bold move is right up their alley.

What tale, song, or legend did Atomos hear this information in?

to "Baro: Climb up the Golem's Back":
    2d6 6 [2d6=2, 4]

NeoToma on
  • Options
    geth roll 1d8+2 "The Boulders damage"

"The Boulders damage":
    1d8+2 4 [1d8=2]

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    | Tacitus | L1 | Dog Paladin - Bernese Holy Dog | HP 25/25 | XP 02 | DMG D10 | AR 3

Tacitus begins to squirm out of his packs and bags and straps. With the offending articles removed he paces out of the undergrowth in plain sight of the two guards. At first just sniffing at the ground to the middle of the path before pausing and staring at the two golems. His head tilts in confusion. A common enough sight with hapless animals. Tacitus hopes that these sentries will brush this off as just some wildlife and absolutely not a party of do-gooders trying to exploit this diversion.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Dang,

"Tacitus: interrupt":
    2d6+2 9 [2d6=4, 3]

NeoToma on
  • Options
    Aziz Light /Human Druid /Vision quest: Wolf/ L1 / HP: 19/19 / Armor: 1 / DMG D6 / XP: 01

"Or how about this. I go up and around, begging for treats and listen to what they're saying. You and Boops get into position. When I bark, you and Boops jump on 'em." Aziz shifts his body a bit, tightening up his skin to look thin, with his ribs showing. He rolls in the dirt a few times to roughen up his fur and get it mangy. Then he walks out into the square, sniffing the ground, with long droopy eyes that are just begging for a bite of food.

"That's also a good plan." He gestures at Boopsy for a moment, before they both disappear into the shadows.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Aziz can spend a hold to get a auto success on this instead of doing a roll*Cha if he wants

• Options
    Tacitus choose one;

-The golems see you with suspicion, but are temporary distracted from other threats.
    Ash and Zak to sneak past without rolling OR attack them with advantage (+1 next action vs. golems)

-The golems see you as a little lost doggie and mostly harmless.
    Tacitus gets +2 in his next move against them, however they remain wary and alert.

• Options
    I will spend a hold, though I do get +1 for being adorbs dog. Still, spend the hold. Might as well use those since I rolled so well.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    This is a feint for my friends, so take this opportunity dammit!

I was sorta hoping that drawing unwanted attention would bring the guys we want out, or otherwise bring the full force of spiderforest down on our heads

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    Zakuya Halash | L1 | Elf Fighter - Duelist | HP 22/22 | XP 01 | DMG D10 | AR 2

Zakuya watches with trepidation as his Saurian ward sneaks around the golems, hatching a dangerous plan, while the helpless doggy shrugs off its armor and engages in perilous subterfuge.

"Such bravery and cunning, and yet this warrior spirit can be willed to stillness no further..." Zakuya's forearms bulge as he grasps at the edge of his cover. "A test of loyalty, of patience, of the heart itself. The call of battle burns in my very blood," he mutters as he vaults from behind shelter, leaping into the fray.

"And I shall answer!" he shouts, dashing forward with impressive agility for a humanoid of his stature. "Will you give me a good fight?" he roars. "Or shall I drag you from your cave over the bitter gravel of defeat?"

Punching a boulder ain't a thing, Zakuya tries to kneecap one of the golems with a firm, attention-grabbing jab.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Ash | L1 | Human Spellslinger - Grizzled | HP 20/20 | XP 04 | DMG D8 | AR 1

"Okay, so I guess this is happening now."

Ash takes advantage of Tacitus' distraction and fires a blast from her wand at the head of the golem Zakuya is attacking.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Geth roll 2d6+3 for "Zak: Melee"
    Geth roll 2d6+4 for "Ash: Spellshot"

"Zak: Melee":
    2d6+3 7 [2d6=1, 3]
    "Ash: Spellshot":
    2d6+4 9 [2d6=3, 2]

• Options
    I'm imagining Baro is too flabby and out of shape to successfully climb up the Golem.
    I'm excited to see what's occured!

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    http://youtu.be/rAVHjLTzhRU

Narration coming

"Zak damage":
    1d10 9 [1d10=9]
    "Ash damage":
    1d8 5 [1d8=5]
    "the Bro older":
    1d8+2 7 [1d8=5]

NeoToma on
  • Options
    edited August 2015

The Saurian attempts to climb the beast’s back but unfortunately lacks the upper body strength to get a good hold. He slips and falls back to the ground with a WHUMP! Which wouldn’t be so back if Badger the Bro-ulder, did choose exactly that time to take a step back and plant his foot right on the end of the Stonekey’s tail. Baro only takes 4 damage, but his tail looks pretty messed up. Baro gains 1 XP. Pebble Petyr turns his head 3 seconds after Baro’s fall. But the lizardman is already hidden on the far side of the larger golem.

It would appear there is some lag in their reaction time...

Tacitus steps forward and makes his presence known. “Yo, what’s that dog doing here?”
    But Skinny Petyr isn't buying tacitus' feint at all. “Dude that dog is a totally a narc! Squash hi-!”

Before they can finish that thought, there is a breaking like pottery crashing as Zak’s fist connects. The greater golem smashes into ground sending a deep crack throughout its hull. He turns his head and asks, “Answer what?”

Ash’s spell easily bypasses the golem’s formidable physical defenses and her arcane energy strikes the shoddily made spell that is holding the golem together. The cracks formed by the Zack’s opening salvo widen and spew forth rainbow light. The more desperately it tries to hold its self together, the more hairline fractures appear in its massive bulk. “Whoa. Dude. What happened to my kn-”

Then he explodes. the exploding geode sends fist sized rocks and crystal shards flying. Everyone takes 7 damage. (minus whatever their armor is)

GRAVELER used SELF-DESTRUCT!

NeoToma on
  • Options
    Shock GShock G Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Shock G | Khar-No-Bog | L1 | Low-God Psychopomp | HP 18/18 | XP 00 | DMG D8 | AR 0

Are you weak?

Each word slides into Kar-No-Bog like a minhir sliding into wet earth. No longer in the tavern, he is in total darkness, head cranked upward. Despite the lack of light, impossible shapes loom above him. The source of the voice. His master, Chth-Pater.

Are you a worm? Do you enjoy failure?

The ten-thousand lightless golden spheres-that-are-not-spheres shift into an expression of displeasure.

You will retrieve what is mine. Leave.

"Of course, Lord." Says Khar, voice small and weak. The sound of his voice echoes around the bar.

The once-god feels embarrassed.

"Where did the others go?" They say, quickly.

Shock G on
  • Options
    Shock GShock G Registered User regular
    Also I really need to get my bonds sorted out, don't I? How about

Atomos once worshipped me. He does not know I have fallen.

I once guided someone Aziz cares about. That someone told me an important secret.

Lockrin has done me a great service, and I am in his debt.