As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Neotoma Presents: The Last Gloss Standing

DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
edited June 2014 in Social Entropy++
This is a thread where we play games by posting. It's a lot of RPG nonsense, run by a bunch of people with nothing better to do.
GlossLogo.png

We got all kinds of RPGs.

@Dux is running Ascend a theological horror cyberpunk adventure.

@Speed Racer is running Machinations a Metal Gear Homage Espionage (Espihomage) Pastiche.

@Bluedude152 is running Dust for the seventh time. It's about cowboys!

There's also Silver, which is sort of half-running, I guess, and could really use more players/activity.

Then, most importantly, there's A Van, a game about a van and the people inside it, which everyone should play.

Many games are recruiting, and most run on one of the following systems, with some tweaks here and there.

Systems:
url="https://docs.google.com/document/d/18pUbBlWWbhrHUIRM6WlwlydYMwAQKKsM4VrFMwbvHxc/edit"]Tiny[/url url="https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y9K1eAG1REctkVymdeZKKhU6zXXYdhzwTmZ1eET2zx4/edit"]Block[/url url="https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lBmo3vSfKQzuxSQ2joGy0CXgGU6gGLjU9XFZPaP5Z04/edit?pli=1"]Balance[/url

A Van presented in Tiny
You wake up, groggy. The radio is playing some awful slow jazz, heavy on the flute and soft on any sort of rhythm. Light shines through the towels-turned-curtains that cover the windows. You back hurts, on account of the cramped space, cold metal, and bits of junk strewn about the back.

You know the others around you. You were going somewhere to do something...

DE?AD on

• Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Jon Crimson [Jazzy Handsome Journalist]

what is this. Where is my scotch.

this music is delightful

"We need to get to my office, I have a story to write!"

"WHERE IS MY WRITING TEAM"

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Oh my goodness espihomage

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I wrote out the timeline of the Machination universe and the history of TIGERSHARK

Good gravy this looks like a crazy person

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    A Van presented in Tiny

I go to the window and try and sneak a peak outside.

NeoToma on
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I still can't believe that I critically failed that roll

I'm starting to think that my anxiety is some form of latent premonition power

e: oh wait, are we doing a Van like we did that one game where we just pick up traits on the fly

I just want to play a ron burgundy analogue

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    Blaine Chimhazard (Hustler +1) (Swordsman +1) (Slimey -1) (Held: )
    (I: ) 500p

hmmm

• Options
    I wrote out the timeline of the Machination universe and the history of TIGERSHARK

Dang it, Speed.
    e: oh wait, are we doing a Van like we did that one game where we just pick up traits on the fly

Either way is fine, and no need for square brackets - just a three word description works!

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Maya uh something[dang like no idea what this stuff was]

Rámon G. Titanium Flea[Crazy Legs +2]

Dr. Samuel D'imirius[Charlatan +1][Doctor? +1]

NeoToma on
  • Options
    DE?AD wrote: »

Dang it, Speed.

?????

• Options

Dang it, Speed.

?????

This is how it begins!

Next there will be world clocks!

Then there will be hidden agendas and backstory!

Then only silence!

• Options
    God I have so many ideas

You fuckers need to hurry up and post so we can get to all of it!

• Options

Dang it, Speed.

?????

This is how it begins!

Next there will be world clocks!

Then there will be hidden agendas and backstory!

Then only silence!

Look man I have been flying by the seat of my pants this entire time

I didn't even know what mayfield's plan was until a half hour ago!

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Eden del Bosque Blade Jaguar (Swords +1) (Stealth +1)

Jaguar finds her broken pieces of katana and puts them back in the sheath.

"I refrained from killing them, as requested," she says. "So now what?"

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Maya Sapphire (Rogue +1) (Survivalist +1) (Icy Sapphire Spine -2) (500P) (Held: 0) [Group 2]

Maya screams in pain and curls up on the floor as the sapphire crystals work their way up her arms. She spends a moment to recover from the shock, taking deep breaths.

"Ha! That should have softened them up a bit," she says, gritting her teeth as she stands back up. "That leaves one last thing to manipulate."

Returning to her terminal, Maya locks and opens doors throughout the ship in order to funnel the security teams toward the yetis instead of her and her teammates.

Geth roll 1d4-1d4

1d4-1d4 0 [1d4=1] [1d4=1]

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Potential protaganist [?????] [?????] [?????]

Maya "The maniac" Bieranowski[Sun Corp Loyalist][Alturistic][Intense]
    Colored blocks go here
    {Paladinish stuff goes here}

"Freight-Train buffalo?"
    "Heh. I guess that buffalo, just went extin-" Rámon however doesn't get to finish his sweet one liner before the 7 foot tall man starts falling and he has to get the fuck out from under him.

Snake Oil Sam totally riggs those barrels for him to be the winner

Geth roll 1d4+1

1d4+1 3 [1d4=2]

• Options
    I've been meaning to ask, DE?AD.

The Silver 2.0 rules state that the flavor of character concepts change to match the world the character is currently in.

Since this Shard is a sci-fi shard, would a Rogue have the flavor of a Hacker? Could I tap that concept to apply a bonus?

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    "hmdgnfbpna-Wha? Where- hm. Gentlemen." At least there's some friendly faces. Or, probably aquaintancey faces, technically.

cB557 on
  • Options

Dang it, Speed.

Either way is fine, and no need for square brackets - just a three word description works!

edited my post to reflect the subtle nuances of Jon

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    Stilts wrote: »
    I've been meaning to ask, DE?AD.

The Silver 2.0 rules state that the flavor of character concepts change to match the world the character is currently in.

Since this Shard is a sci-fi shard, would a Rogue have the flavor of a Hacker? Could I tap that concept to apply a bonus?

It would certainly include some hacking, so it applies, yes.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    are you guys cannonball running everywhere?

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Hopefully

• Options
    Hopefully

• Options
    Either that or blues brothering

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Either that or blues brothering

Edit aww fuck I forgot

NeoToma on
  • Options
    A Van
    Jon's scotch is in the cupboard welded to the wall. His writing team is in another city, working with that asshole Marc Antoniel.

One of the people beside him mumbles to themselves, while the other one peeks out the window. The peeker sees that they're apparently parked on some sort of lawn. A City Guardsman is approaching.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Neo in stereo.

A dream, made reality.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Neo in stereo.

A dream, made reality.

life's a dream

i'm neo in stereo

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Oh man, I'm pumped to get my dual shootin on. Though I still am not super clear how the dice roll minus dice roll thing works

• Options
    you roll two dice and subtract the second result from the first

the result is what you get

positive numbers result in successes, negative numbers are failures

if you want, you can "play" some portion of your dice. Instead of taking the difference between them, you can accept positive and negative results.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Rather than thinking of your result as one number minus another number, think of it as "I rolled this many positive pips vs. this many negative pips."

So it's not actually, say, 3-3.

It's 1-1, 1-1 and 1-1.

Or it's not 2-2, it's 1-1 and 1-1.

This is why a 4-4 is actually superior to a 2-2, even though they have the same sum. You can play more pairs (or hold more +1's) in 4-4 than you can in 2-2.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Let's try something different, today. How do you pronounce, "G, A, M?"

Do you need a hint?

G makes a "guh" sound. Guh. Guh.

Gam! That's very good.

What about, "G, A, M, E?" Do you remember the special rule about the letter E?

Game. Game! Very good. You are doing very well. You have earned a gold star.

Now it is time for recess.

<netEpsilon.DistractionTeam>{

Mantis charges forward to slug Mayfield, when he suddenly collapses, muscles locking and spasming violently.

"Give me a little more credit than that. In addition to producing this little landscape, your nanites will prevent you from acting aggressively toward me." He leans against the gate and smokes quietly for a moment. "So, so much for the mission, hm? Your minds have disobeyed you, and now your bodies are as well. Not much of a soldier if you don't have a reliable mind or body."
    };

<netEpsilon.InfiltrationTeam>{

The group drags the unconscious bodies of the three soldiers into a clearing. They did that because I say so so DEAL WITH IT.

Every time they look at their faces, the same error message pops up. Facial features match so-and-so, but they're dead, they must be impostors.

Blink. You're in the lounge with Jennifer. She's standing up, hands on the table.

"Guys. The captain is going nuts over this. These three are supposed to be dead. They… okay, look." She breaks eye contact to look around the virtual lounge. "I really shouldn't be telling you this, but… you guys aren't the first ones to get sent on this mission. We sent a team a few months ago, and these three were with them. According to their nanite readings, Mayfield's men killed them. If they're not actually dead… the most likely explanation is that they've turned traitor.

She leans in close to whisper to you. "Right now I'm jamming your signals from reaching Cpt. Blake's control center from here. Telling him that the storm is messing with the reception. He's not gonna fall for that for long though. He's gonna tell you to kill them, guys. We gotta figure something out."
    };

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    Andros Swiftsword (Swordsman +1) (Liar +1) (Rat Snout -1) (Held: Rusty Sword )

Andros struts around the tick, looking for somewhere soft to stick his blade in.

"I am Andros Swiftsword, foul beast," he yells loud enough for everyone to hear (what would be the point otherwise). "And I have regained the sword YOU stole! Now prepare for your undoing for it shall be swift!!"

He lunges.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    finishing up a ballin resume currently but I'd like to pop in to say thank you dead for giving me scotch

and thank you speed for not taking at least an arm in the first mission

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    Eden del Bosque Blade Jaguar (Swords +1) (Stealth +1)

"If they truly have turned traitor, then they deserve death," Jaguar replies calmly. Her version of the lounge is...well, minimalist might be the right euphemism. Tatami-mat flooring, paper walls and a single, small table are the only things that exist.

"We'll get what information we can from them, and then we'll execute them. It will be a mercy."

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Chase Maverick Breaker Eagle (Recon +1)(Break +1)
    Chase leans back on his cushions, letting his dangerously short bathrobe fly free in the breeze. He takes a sip of his mimosa. "So we, uh, replicate some carbon-nano-weave-bindings? Tie them up. Ooh, maybe we can strip the data out of their nanos! That's a thing, right?" Ssssiiiip "We can do that, right? See what's what?"

He glances down at his feet. "Yo, my ankles still broken?"

• Options
    DuxDux A host to DarknessRegistered User regular
    NeoToma wrote: »
    Potential protaganist [?????] [?????] [?????]

Maya "The maniac" Bieranowski[Sun Corp Loyalist][Alturistic][Intense]
    Colored blocks go here
    {Paladinish stuff goes here}

"Freight-Train buffalo?"
    "Heh. I guess that buffalo, just went extin-" Rámon however doesn't get to finish his sweet one liner before the 7 foot tall man starts falling and he has to get the fuck out from under him.

Snake Oil Sam totally riggs those barrels for him to be the winner

Geth roll 1d4+1

Maya "The Maniac" Bieranowski Sun© Worshiper, Altruistic, Indomitable
    ▥▥▥▥▥▥▥▥▥▥
    main {Street Samurai; Apollo Augments; Amaterasu ICEbreaker}

• Options
    Rámon Gabrielle Kanagawa Titanium Flea (Crazy Legs +2)

"Jennifer." he says coldly. "What concern is their lives to you? You are our personal assistant, Yes? Yet you suspiciously cut us off from Blake and have distracted us from The Mission while our allies are waiting for us. Explain how keeping them alive is our best interests. Mrs. Jennifer, Assist us."

• Options
    edited March 2014
    I know that it hurts, but the other children will laugh at you if I kiss it to make it feel better. You don't want the other children to laugh at you, do you?

Do you know that sometimes little girls like little boys, but they're scared to say that they do, so they hit them instead? It's true. I think that that little girl likes you. You should ask to play with her.

<netEpsilon.InfiltrationTeam>{
    Jaguar's vision of Jennifer slams the table. "NO PLEASE!" She reaches out to grab Bosque but stops short.

Flea's version of her tightens her fists by her sides. "Rachel... I mean, Tarantula. She's..." Every instance of Jennifer's projection starts to sob. "I can't believe she's still alive," she mutters.

"Please, she wouldn't. She wouldn't betray her country. I know her! She wouldn't do a thing like that! There must be another explanation. But I know the captain. He won't hear it. Please..."

Chase's vision of Jennifer shoots a nasty look at him. "Of course I'm real you ass. I'm in the radio room down the hall from mission control. My nanites just help me multitask and communicate with several of you simultaneously."
    };

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    "Also, are you a for-real person, or just a computer?

"Wait, nevermind. Doesn't matter." Chase leans forward, pouts his lips, and cocks an eyebrow at the possibly-a-computer.

• Options
    Chase leans back as Jennifer starts to sob. Things just got weird. "Hey, heeey, it's okay. It's fine.

"Everything's okay."