As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Insane in the Ukraine, OR, Not So Chicken Kiev?

• Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    There was some ridiculous uproar about him having grown up in Indonesia and having eaten dog meat.

One day there will be the Indian version of Obama that will come under fire for having grown up in America and had once eaten a cheeseburger.

Either that or America has turned into a gaggle of 14 year old girls that take stupid shit like this to the worst extreme possible.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    The second part.

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    fox news is the enemy

let us create a shrine to the evils of a network that reaches fewer people than a Penny Arcade comic strip

unfortunately, only one of those has rather a lot of influence over about half of our elected officials.

• Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    Hunter wrote: »
    There was some ridiculous uproar about him having grown up in Indonesia and having eaten dog meat.

One day there will be the Indian version of Obama that will come under fire for having grown up in America and had once eaten a cheeseburger.

Either that or America has turned into a gaggle of 14 year old girls that take stupid shit like this to the worst extreme possible.

Considering cows are sacred to Hindus and most cheeseburgers aren't halal...

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    fox news is the enemy

let us create a shrine to the evils of a network that reaches fewer people than a Penny Arcade comic strip

I

what?

Fox News is hugely popular. Check their viewership data. A fuckload more people watch Fox News than read Penny arcade, dude.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    More people watch FOX than almost any other news network in the country. It's not just a conservative version of The Young Turks.

• Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    Label wrote: »
    fox news is the enemy

unfortunately, only one of those has rather a lot of influence over about half of our elected officials.

cdWqp6L.jpg

?????

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Hunter wrote: »

I am quite possibly missing the point of your comment entirely. Any particular reason you gendered the bolded phrase there?

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    FOX news viewership has actually gone down quite a bit in recent years.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    fox news is the enemy

I

what?

Fox News is hugely popular. Check their viewership data. A fuckload more people watch Fox News than read Penny arcade, dude.

Fox News on a hot news week with a plane exploding and countries being invaded gets about 2 million primetime viewers. and most of those are people in retirement homes and sportsbars

the "key demo" viewership of Fox can be measured in the mid to low hundreds of thousands in primetime on a "normal week". and keep in mind ratings agencies don't discriminate between families watching TV in their home, and a TV on in a hospital lobby.. and in America, Fox is a virtually defacto "public square" news channel. Meaning you see it on in idle TV's in a lot of places people aren't watching TV.

their influence (and their agenda) is massively overstated by one J. Stewart

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    fox news is the enemy

I

what?

Fox News on a hot news week with a plane exploding and countries being invaded gets about 2 million primetime viewers. and most of those are people in retirement homes and sportsbars

the "key demo" viewership of Fox can be measured in the mid to low hundreds of thousands in primetime on a "normal week". and keep in mind ratings agencies don't discriminate between families watching TV in their home, and a TV on in a hospital lobby.. and in America, Fox is a virtually defacto "public square" news channel. Meaning you see it on in idle TV's in a lot of places people aren't watching TV.

their influence (and their agenda) is massively overstated by one Bill O'Reilly

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote:
    Jasc's seething hatred of The Daily Show is joyous to me

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Has anyone seen this crazy shit that went down in colorado

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »

No what happened

• Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    fox news is the enemy

I

what?

their influence (and their agenda) is massively overstated by one J. Stewart

i'm not actually sure which side argument you're arguing for here. like, you're saying that it's not influential because nobody watches it outside of true-believers who only get their news from them and public places where there are lots of people potentially watching it together?

and the "penny arcade gets more eyeballs than fox news" thing: PA has an alexa rank of 6822 (2426 in the US), foxnews.com has an alexa rank of 182 (43 in the US). and comedy central's alexa rank is 1885 (571 in the US), so.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »

No what happened

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2014/07/23/armed-crime-spree-suspect-arrested-after-approaching-cars-on-i-70/

Crazy car chase where the perps switched cars three times.

• Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    The Cold War is back baby! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoh fuck we're not going to make it are we?

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I really can't wrap my head around Tayyip Erdogan.

like a good portion the shit he does/says is super awful but he actually is pretty reasonable about a bunch of other stuff

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    SLyM wrote: »

like a good portion the shit he does/says is super awful but he actually is pretty reasonable about a bunch of other stuff

onions shrek

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Ukrainian prime minister Arseny Yatseniuk resigns
    Ukraine's prime minister has resigned after the governing coalition collapsed, in a sign that five months after the Maidan protests led to a change of government, the country's political system is still beset by discord.

The government is struggling to defeat an insurgency by pro-Russian separatists in the east of the country, where a Malaysia Airlines jet was downed last Thursday.

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    the last post ever made on these forums will be along the lines of "the city is burning. i can't hold out for much longer. tell louis and the boy i'm sorry."

geth will awesome it

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Ukraine's prime minister has resigned after the governing coalition collapsed, in a sign that five months after the Maidan protests led to a change of government, the country's political system is still beset by discord.

The government is struggling to defeat an insurgency by pro-Russian separatists in the east of the country, where a Malaysia Airlines jet was downed last Thursday.

Huh. The way I heard it 2 parties left the coalition because they wanted to trigger new elections to basically prove that Ukraine was still united.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    geth watches the news to see if the world is burning

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »

this is a little why I think other countries need to get involved or just let Russia take it

because that country is not going to last under the current conditions

all delaying the inevitable does it get more dead civilians

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    SLyM wrote: »

Erdogan is awful according to what I've heard from people from Turkey, when he says intelligent reasonable things its usually incidental to all the bullshit he wants to do. For instance, he might be against Israel because IIRC he's been supporting more and more religious influence in the Turkish government, I.E. because he thinks it will give him support from the Muslim base. Or at least that's a cynical way of looking at it.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    ISIS ordering genital mutilation of all Iraqi women.

I hate this planet.

Good news? The report of ISIS ordering FGM is fake.

They might be doing it anyway, but there's no orders from ISIS telling people to do it. And FGM is more prevalent in non-ISIS areas.

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    isis did apparently take a military base in syria recently, though.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-28481283

so that's... bad.

Personally i've been pretty strongly against the US jumping back into the middle east to prop Iraq back up, what with maliki being shitty, ETC.

But, things like this make just leaving them to figure shit out somewhat less appealing.

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    ISIS already blew up the tomb of Jonah

the whale guy

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Artreus wrote: »
    ISIS already blew up the tomb of Jonah

the whale guy

I don't think Jonah much gives a shit, at this point

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Wrong thread.

Melding on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    Wrong thread.

Was it really, though

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    Wrong thread.

Was it really, though

seems a bit of a too crass joke to be honest.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Between Israel/Gaza, Ukraine, aircraft plummeting from the skies and ebola cases in Lagos (discovered at an airport!) and Freetown (where the patient was 'freed' from the hospital by relatives), I'm starting to think a nicely-sealed bunker somewhere towards the centre of the earth might be a good idea for the rest of the year..

• Options
    SkylarkSkylark o7 Vile Rat o7 o7 Photon Torpedo o7Registered User regular
    Seems like Isreal is trying the same tactics that Sri Lanka used against the Tamil Tigers. Since the Tigers were already labeled as a terrorist group, and international support for them was weak due to human rights violations, all they had to do was kick out all the reporters and just start shelling Tamil settlements. The Tamil resistance in Sri Lanka was effectively destroyed and the international community hardly even knew all the deaths it took to get there.

More http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2011/01/17/death-of-the-tiger
    We know that Sri Lanka’s conflict ended in a bloodbath, even though it occurred, as intended, out of sight. In the face of all the official denials and the diplomatic language about accountability, there is Wickrematunge’s grim prediction of his country’s future and his own. And there is the stubbornly ineradicable video of naked Tamils being kicked and shot and laughed at by their uniformed killers.

I remember reading that article. They interviewed an American(?) mediator, who was in discussions with the Sri Lankan government about setting up "safe zones" for Tamil civilians. She said that the government gave her the go-ahead, and then turned around and started dropping artillery on the safe zones once they were filled to capacity.

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Ebola cases in Lagos (discovered at an airport!) and Freetown (where the patient was 'freed' from the hospital by relatives)

Whaaaat. Lagos is the most populous city in Africa (over twice the size of NYC), so that is not good news. Seriously though, they should just start burning the bodies at this point, and hand a handsome urn to the relatives instead of handing the body over for them to wash instead.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    So they found that lady that was taken by her relatives at a faith healer's place, she died on the way back to the hospital.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    So they found that lady that was taken by her relatives at a faith healer's place, she died on the way back to the hospital.

Praise Jesuoh wait

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Oh so she didn't die until they took her sway from the faith healer. Proof that faith healing works.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

This discussion has been closed.