As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hearthstone] iPad version now available worldwide! Naxxramas coming soon!

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I had the floating card last night too. Lets make a list of all the new animations so we can go check them out.

I know ragnaros got a better entrance animation which looks cool.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    I just got stomped in the arena. Finished with just one win. My card pack eased the pain a little bit. Got my first legendary. Golden Archmage Antonidas!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    Faceless manipulator is undercosted imo.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Is there a stats page, or a way of tracking any of your personal metrics? Like wins and losses, and what class decks you've played against, and perhaps win/loss against different decks?

• Options
    InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Is there a stats page, or a way of tracking any of your personal metrics? Like wins and losses, and what class decks you've played against, and perhaps win/loss against different decks?

None of this stuff is done by Hearthstone. I use arenamastery.com to keep track of my arena results.

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular

I think Blizzard said that if people could see their losses they might get sad and stop playing.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »

I think Blizzard said that if people could see their losses they might get sad and stop playing.

Dunno if they said that specifically for Hearthstone but they did say it for the Battle Pet minigame (essentially Pokemon) in WoW so I always assumed it was the same line of thought here.

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    They definitely said that for SC2 for the less-than-masters (i.e. bottom 95%) ranked players

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    Hmm. I tend to use W/L as a motivator to get better. If I have more losses than wins, that serves as an incentive to get better and get my number up.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    It would be nice if they did show W/L records with a check box for "show losses" off by default.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    ConstrictorConstrictor The Dork Knight SuburbialandRegistered User regular
    RNG hates me in this game. I had the most frustrating game I've ever played this morning and it is par for the course. I'm vs. a shaman with a pretty poor paladin deck I drafter (0 weapons, hardly any impressive creatures, had to take TWO humilities because the choices were THAT bad).

Starts out pretty good for me, I get board control and had a nice shattered sun cleric play. He has forked lightning and clears my board for free. Ok. I rebuild again and have board control with some beefy 4 hp creatures out vs a few weenies on his side.

He totems, gets spell power, uses coin, lightning storms and hits everything for 4 damage (from a possible 3-4 output).

Later on he plays a mad bomber onto a board where I have control and 4 creatures out and it would need 2 hits on my best creature for him to get any sort of even trade otherwise it goes in my favor hard. He gets the 2 hits on my creature OF COURSE and nails me.

Even after all that I'm playing pretty amazing and I'm 1 turn from victory. He's top decking and about to lose. He pulls the thunderfury unique with charge and kills me.

'Sorry about that.'

FUCK. YOU.

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Man, it seems like every deck I end up playing against has some combination of Alexstrasza, Ragnaros, Black Knight, and Sylvanas.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Probably because excepting aggro, those legendaries all slot in well with the general themes. Rag, Sylvanas, and Black Knight all fit in well with control, Black Knight and Sylvanas can help to top off midgame decks, and Alexstraza works great for lategame control or miracle decks that are more concerned with being able to hit you for big numbers from hand lategame than actually getting in that chip damage early.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Kambing wrote: »
    Hrm, riddle me this:

Pagle is my first non-trash legendary. Post-nerf, do I DE him for a Ragnaros, Ysera, Cairne, or something else?

Absolutely! Pagle is just card draw. Some of those other legendaries are win conditions all by themselves. Also consider Leeroy who can be a win condition in any number of decks (particularly rogue!)

Vorpal on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I am deeply in love with this Rag I drafted in Arena. He is an absolute genius. While all the other Rags were out drinking and getting high, this Rag stayed in school, got educated, went to an Ivy League university (where he got top honors) and was sitting around waiting to find a job opportunity.

Here I come along and take this bright, motivated Ragnoros, and offer him a job in my hunter deck over both Deathwing and Sylvanas. A fact, I am sure, endeared some loyalty from him. To thank me for this opportunity, he does EXACTLY what I want him to do.

"Hey Reggie, I know there's only a 1/25 chance that you hit my opponent twice in a row. I mean, there are 5 minions on the other side of the board, but it's the only way I can win."

"No problem bro. I got this." *domes the opponent for 16 damage*

"Hey Reggie, I'm at 10 life against this mage, and I'm pretty sure he has fireball. Do you think you could hit every creature he plays for 4 consecutive turns? If I get hit even once, I'm dead."

"You got it boss!"

Now all I want to do is take this particular Reggie and put him in all my decks. He is the BEST.

Roz on
  • Options
    Interesting bug: If you give a minion that's been misdirection'd windfury, it still gets to attack twice at whatever target.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    So 3 attacks total, then?

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    Yep. Pretty frustrating to deal with.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    rembrandtqeinsteinrembrandtqeinstein Registered User regular
    Just had a couple of terrible arenas, the first one I picked priest so of course only got 1 holy nova (which I never drew) and shitty draft choices went 2-3.

The second one I picked hunter, said fuck it, and picked all beasts and hunter class cards. Naturally the choices didn't include buzzard or highmane. That deck also went 2-3.

This is the first time I didn't get gold reward, both times in a row. Did blizz change it so the arena losers would forever be losers by never getting enough gold to do more than one arena every 4 days?

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    I think all the traps and misdirection are really powerful. Snake Trap isn't great, but 3 card draws with a buzzard out (can they change that to draw on beast death already?), and it can really screw you over if you were guessing it was explosive trap.

Well, I hope not, given that UtH + Buzzard is right in line with other class-based card draw mechanics and there's no need to make a good card bad.

UtH+Buzzard nets you 2-3 cards, costs 4 mana and requires you to spend two cards (technically the Buzzard goes onto the board, but it will die). That's not out of proportion compared to on-demand draw like Arcane intellect or Sprint.

There is a colossal difference between card draw that affects the board and card draw that does not. Playing Arcane Intellect for two cards is a filler move. Playing Cult Master onto a board where you can immediately sacrifice two minions for board control is a borderline game-ending play. Likewise, a turn 1 Northshire Cleric that gets you 2-3 cards and also baits out removal is incredibly hard to recover from. Even if the buzzard dies it forces the opponent to waste an action on top of losing some minions to hounds.

I have no insights about Hunter balance in constructed one way or another, but Buzzard/Unleash versus Arcane Intellect is an almost entirely useless comparison.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Logged in and checked my quests today:

"5 wins with Mage/Priest, 5 wins with Mage/Hunter, and cast 40 spells."

It would have been faster had they just said to play Mage today for lots of gold. :)

Also, I went 5-0 to accomplish the quests and can tell I was taking advantage of newer players. I mean, I accidentally fireballed myself in the face trying to put the card away after targetting a stealthed minion, yet still won. :disappointed:

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    I really wish this was on mobile right now. Would make hospital waiting rooms so much better.

No I don't.
  • Options
    MenasorMenasor Registered User regular
    Speaking of new players, a friend of mine had this exchange vs a Rogue:

My friend had 2/1, and a 1/1. Opponent had a 1/1.

Opponent then proceeds to equip his dagger, attack the 2/1 with his face, attack the 1/1 with his 1/1, and THEN PLAY FAN OF KNIVES.

So ya.. some new players out there right now.

Destiny PS4: Earthen1
  • Options
    ConstrictorConstrictor The Dork Knight SuburbialandRegistered User regular
    I only seem to run into HS savants in arena lately. Almost 0 bad plays.

• Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    Where are these newbies in Arena other people keep seeing? I only seem to encounter "Better than constructed" decks.

teriferin#1625
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I had a fun win scenario last night. I had 2 big minions on the board, he had 2, 2/3 taunts. My minions could have finished him if i didnt have to deal with the taunts....i had 2 pyromancers. and 2 low cost spells. drop both pyros, holy light, and then some other silly spell...*BAM*

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Teriferin wrote: »
    Where are these newbies in Arena other people keep seeing? I only seem to encounter "Better than constructed" decks.

I see you've run into Mr. Four Times Fireball as well.

Roz on
  • Options
    As I haven't memorized all the cards yet, what would you think is the best card drawing mechanic per class? Right now, I'm using the Cult Master and Acolyte of Pain to average results.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Hooray for doing a Arena run and getting no legendaries, but getting wrecked multiple games in a row by a enemy player's.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    I'm a new player to Hearthstone, but I'm not a new player to CCGs as a general idea, and I've put a lot of time into the WoW tabletop CCG that shares a lot of artwork with Hearthstone. Needless to say, I've been feeling very good about myself lately, and I have a strong feeling that I'm about to get slapped down hard by someone who actually knows what they are doing.

Since the game doesn't actually have a W/L tracker, I don't know my actual stats, but I'm just guessing I'm something like 10/2 right now, both of the losses were games in which I drew all 5's and 6's in my opening hand and failed to mulligan anything better.

• Options
    VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    I only seem to run into HS savants in arena lately. Almost 0 bad plays.

Yeah. When I watch streamers I can't believe the poor quality of their opponents and the terrible draft choices their opponents have made. It's essentially free wins!

I guess in the late night time I have available I just run into all the veteran players who all draft the good cards and all know the correct plays to make. Hard to get above a 60% win rate.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    As I haven't memorized all the cards yet, what would you think is the best card drawing mechanic per class? Right now, I'm using the Cult Master and Acolyte of Pain to average results.

- Acolyte of pain is a generally good neutral drawing card
    - Loot hoarder is a pretty darn good, and better neutral drawing card since you tend to get more out of him than acolyte (in terms of board control)
    - Mage's draw card spell is pretty darn good too
    - Shaman's Mana Totem is brokenly good, especially since he might also draw a removal if there's no minion to immediately kill it
    - That apprentice engineer, the 2-4 one is pretty good too since it also helps with board control, though a bit late in the game where 2 dmg isn't that amazing
    - Hunter's buzzard mixed with release the hounds is stupidly broken, imo ^^' (especially double buzzard or hyena)
    - Priest's northshire cleric is a very good drawing card, one of the best in the game prob.
    - Druid's Ancient of Lore is a really good card to draw 2 cards with and have a strong board presence. He's costly though so it's balanced. But if you're talking about pure draw, his Nourish is the best card. 3 cards for 5 mana is SO LEGIT if you're not sacrificing tempo, because late game you still have mana to prob. play one of those 3 cards.

Cult Master isn't so great because you need the pre-requisite of already having minions on board and he comes into play late game for that. If he gets played too early he just gets sniped due to being a high profile hit.

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    MummBrahMummBrah Registered User regular
    Man it's a pain getting down into single digits again this season with all this lame-ass minion aggro

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Just had a couple of terrible arenas, the first one I picked priest so of course only got 1 holy nova (which I never drew) and shitty draft choices went 2-3.

The second one I picked hunter, said fuck it, and picked all beasts and hunter class cards. Naturally the choices didn't include buzzard or highmane. That deck also went 2-3.

This is the first time I didn't get gold reward, both times in a row. Did blizz change it so the arena losers would forever be losers by never getting enough gold to do more than one arena every 4 days?

If your primary objective is to maximize your average gold return, my first piece of advice would be to never pick Priest or Hunter under any circumstances if it's at all avoidable, along with Warlock and Warrior. None of them have a conflux of basic class cards, hero powers, and viable strategies to let them perform consistently in arena.

Mages are always good, and the ranking of the other four classes varies depending on who you ask. I find that I do way better with Rogue than anything else, but conventional wisdom seems to hold that Paladin is better, and maybe Shaman too. Druid can be good but is sometimes an exercise in "how many Swipes can I get?"

By and large, though, I almost never go below 4/3 as long as I avoid the bottom four and probably average quite a bit higher (with Rogue I need a pretty terrible draft to go below 7 these days, it seems). Knowing how to draft and play well is also critical, obviously, and sometimes you get irredeemably bad drafts with every class, but Hunters and Warlocks with middling drafts are almost certain to underperform compared to a middling Mage.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    Roz wrote: »
    Teriferin wrote: »

I see you've run into Mr. Four Times Fireball as well.

I have to admit, this is my current deck: http://arenamastery.com/3hgD.

teriferin#1625
  • Options
    rembrandtqeinsteinrembrandtqeinstein Registered User regular
    Wyvern wrote: »

If your primary objective is to maximize your average gold return, my first piece of advice would be to never pick Priest or Hunter under any circumstances if it's at all avoidable, along with Warlock and Warrior. None of them have a conflux of basic class cards, hero powers, and viable strategies to let them perform consistently in arena.

Mages are always good, and the ranking of the other four classes varies depending on who you ask. I find that I do way better with Rogue than anything else, but conventional wisdom seems to hold that Paladin is better, and maybe Shaman too. Druid can be good but is sometimes an exercise in "how many Swipes can I get?"

By and large, though, I almost never go below 4/3 as long as I avoid the bottom four and probably average quite a bit higher (with Rogue I need a pretty terrible draft to go below 7 these days, it seems). Knowing how to draft and play well is also critical, obviously, and sometimes you get irredeemably bad drafts with every class, but Hunters and Warlocks with middling drafts are almost certain to underperform compared to a middling Mage.

I'm not maximizing on gold, just noted that these are the first arenas in many where the 1 box reward was 0 gold. And I'm handicapping/challenging myself by not picking rogue, druid, paladin, or warrior if there are other options because I've gotten 12 wins with those and I want to get 12 wins with all of the classes, then shoot for 12-0 with all of the classes (only druid so far)

I can't tell you if priest or warlock are the absolute worst. Priest seems to live or die by how many holy nova + temple enforcers they get. Warlock is pretty much a free kill vs mages and hunters unless you get really lucky. According to my stats I'm absolute worst at priest averaging 3.8 wins compared to my overall 5.4.

My best class since I started tracking is rogue which is weird because it seems like rogues can easily get in trouble against hunters/mages due to using their face as removal. I think my best class pre-tracking is warrior and I think its the most fun (and brutal).

• Options
    CreamstoutCreamstout What you think I program for, to push a fuckin' quad-core? Registered User regular

Adding to MMMIg's post here are some of the card draw combos that you'll see on the ladder in the current meta:

Druid: Ancient of Lore + Wrath, Natty P (Nat Pagle, can sub for loot hoarder or novice engineer)
    Hunter: Starving Buzzard + Unleash the Hounds + decent beast drops (stone tusk boar, Raptor, Animal Companion).
    Mage: Arcane Intellect + Acolyte of Pain
    Paladin: Divine Favor + Weenie Rush + King Mukkla
    Priest: Wild Pyromancer + Northsire Cleric + Circle of Healing
    Rogue: Tons of low cost spells (backstab, shiv, conceal, preparation, cold blood etc) + Gadgetzan Auctioneer.
    Shaman: Mana Tide Totem, Natty P, Gadgetzan Auctioneer + low cost overload spells.
    Warlock: Hero Ability
    Warrior: Taskmaster/Inner Fire/Whirlwind + Acolyte of Pain, Natty P

Nat Pagle may be falling out of favor, I don't find the nerf that drastic where I won't play him. Worst case scenario he eats some premium removal if he comes out with T1 coin. You'd be hard pressed to find an opponent that will burn a frostbolt on your loot hoarder.

• Options
    MMMig wrote: »

- Acolyte of pain is a generally good neutral drawing card
    - Loot hoarder is a pretty darn good, and better neutral drawing card since you tend to get more out of him than acolyte (in terms of board control)
    - Mage's draw card spell is pretty darn good too
    - Shaman's Mana Totem is brokenly good, especially since he might also draw a removal if there's no minion to immediately kill it
    - That apprentice engineer, the 2-4 one is pretty good too since it also helps with board control, though a bit late in the game where 2 dmg isn't that amazing
    - Hunter's buzzard mixed with release the hounds is stupidly broken, imo ^^' (especially double buzzard or hyena)
    - Priest's northshire cleric is a very good drawing card, one of the best in the game prob.
    - Druid's Ancient of Lore is a really good card to draw 2 cards with and have a strong board presence. He's costly though so it's balanced. But if you're talking about pure draw, his Nourish is the best card. 3 cards for 5 mana is SO LEGIT if you're not sacrificing tempo, because late game you still have mana to prob. play one of those 3 cards.

Cult Master isn't so great because you need the pre-requisite of already having minions on board and he comes into play late game for that. If he gets played too early he just gets sniped due to being a high profile hit.

AoP does at least get me one card, two if I'm a Mage. I don't have LH, but have seen it in action.

That Mana Totem is so frustrating! My fiancee got 5 cards out of it in a game against me. After that, I always put a Crazed Alchemist in my deck against her to kill that Totem or the +2 attack Totem.

What about the Novice Engineer? Seems like a wasted space in the deck at 1/1, but it is free after all. The 2/4 one doesn't work for me for reasons you mentioned.

Just got the Buzzard, but still haven't gotten RTH yet. I have been hit by the Buzzard/Hyena/RTH combo before though and ouch. >.<

I despise the Northshire Cleric and all the things she holds dear.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Ah yeah good point on Pali's Divine Favour! That's prob. one of the better draw cards too. It's situational though so not used all the time.

But even better for Pail is Blessing of Wisdom.

Using that card on an enemy minion is a really good deterrent to try and neutralize it. Depending on how the game's going, he won't attack with it until he silences it, which they'll rarely do unless it's a strong minion he must use.

It's also good to use on a low cost, yet strong, enemy minion that can start getting out of hand (flame imp) if out on turn 1. That is almost a guaranteed neutralize.

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Without a lot of dust, I would suggest Loot Hoarder and Gnomish Inventor instead. Acolyte is situational because he really slows down your tempo, and Cult Master only really thrives in aggro decks where a lot of minions will be dying. Azure Drake is a really good all purpose card as well once you have the dust for it.

This discussion has been closed.