As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

VROOOM PSH VRROOOOOM [Car thread]

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    My partner and I watched Bullitt again the other night.

"Why is only one wheel spinning?"

"I guess an LSD wasn't a factory option on the '67 fastbacks?"

You can clearly see both drivers working HARD just to keep the cars on the road in that chase scene. In modern cars like a Chevy SS sedan, you'd barely have to lift a finger and you'd be going twice as fast...

It was an option, the Mustang just didn't have it. If you look back at the production of that movie, and the chase in particular, it's kind of ridiculous how much work they had to do to the Mustang to let it even keep up with the Chargers. They basically had to modify the entire suspension and the top end of the engine, plus fit smsmaller tires. The Chargers got new shocks and the police package leaf springs in the back.

Yeah the engine noise the foley artists used for the Mustang engine sure doesn't sound like a stock 289...

It is, however, the authentic engine noise for the car. They recorded most of the audio from a modified Corvette chase car. The rest were recorded at a race track.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Yeah I know.

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    What is everyone's favourite car-related movie?

I don't mean like Herbie or Dukes of Hazzard, I mean like Senna or Le Mans.

Grand Prix.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    My favorite part of the Bullit chase scene is the complete lack of music. Just let the engines and tires be the soundtrack.

• Options
    Yeah I know.

Haha, sorry, I can get carried away with stuff like that. Especially Bullitt, it was the first movie I bought on Blu-ray!

I really enjoyed Love the Beast. Eric Bana really comes across as a normal dude that finally gets to live out his dream of driving a big, overpowered muscle car as fast as possible on regular roads.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    never seen bullitt but i do want to watch Le Mans sooner or later

I recently saw Rush and was largely underwhelmed. It had cool parts to it but there was seriously eye-rolling crap in it

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Ooooh yeah, I haven't seen Love the Beast yet.

And Eric Bana has been a car nut since forever, basically.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Love the Beast is great. If you can wait until next year I'll lend it to you. Senna is also super great.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Eh, the rest of Bullit was kinda meh. All you really need is to watch the chase on youtube. Since that is all you'll ever be tested on.

• Options
    It's not the greatest movie ever made, but there is some goodness in it. Bullitt's captain being a top bloke, Robert Vaughan turning in an excellent performance as a snivelling piece of shit politician...

• Options
    pimento wrote: »
    Love the Beast is great. If you can wait until next year I'll lend it to you. Senna is also super great.

That is very generous of you, but rest assured, I am looking for both of them on BluRay to put on my Christmas wishlist.

• Options
    intropintrop Registered User regular
    Not-racing movies: Bullit, Ronin, On Any Sunday, Le Mans, Senna, Winning.

Racing movies: TT3D

Told I should see: Heart Like a Wheel, Dust To Glory

Steam ID: highentropy
  • Options
    intropintrop Registered User regular
    Having said that, I've watched TT3D maybe ... three (?) times and I believe I've only understood about a third of what Guy Martin says. I seriously need someone to caption his English in English for me.

Steam ID: highentropy
  • Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Smokey and the Bandit? Cheesy as hell in retrospect but probably the first "car movie" I can remember seeing. Still love me a golden firechicken.

I thought Rush was awesome but I could have done with a few less shots of Thor's ass.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Fast and Furious is best car movies.

• Options
    I'm thinking that if my taxes go well I'm going to lease that M235i and keep the RX-8 to turn into a ChrisHallett special

I know it's not a "real M car", but I ask what could they do to make it better and not turn it into an M4?

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Fuck, managed to drive all the way to work on two half-flat winter tires. They looked just fine when I left, and I didn't bother to check PSI last night cause they were just on the car in May.

I'm an idiot.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    Jasconius wrote: »
    I'm thinking that if my taxes go well I'm going to lease that M235i and keep the RX-8 to turn into a ChrisHallett special

I know it's not a "real M car", but I ask what could they do to make it better and not turn it into an M4?

The M235 is so great! And WAY cheaper than an M4.

I love the idea of a 'chrishallett' special! (Put a 20B in it!)

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I wouldn't mind picking up an RX8 with a blown motor and dropping in the turbo 4 from the mustang. That would be a fun little car. I've always dug the RX8's styling, especially the suicide rear doors.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    fun car size visualization from my office

i.imgur.com/MVYuak3.jpg

first of all i know what you are thinking and no i don't normally park in two spaces. the chrystler guy and i have an agreement though

lef to right... newer M5, older M5, Chrystler 300 (holy shit its bigger than a goddamn SVU), my car, ~2009 Mustang V6, Chrysler Pacifica, 2012 Golf GT R

can't get over how huge that 300 is, and also that the old M5 is not much bigger than mine

• Options
    300s are big, heavy sedans. And they don't actually have much interior space for their size!

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    To be fair, almost everyone did a pretty poor job parking ;)

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    To be fair, almost everyone did a pretty poor job parking ;)

Seriously.

• Options
    par for the course pretty much. usually the mustang double spaces as well. i'm usually the only one in that row who doesn't

• Options
    Yep, 7 PSI in rear driver side tire.

I drove to work on a 7 PSI tire.

20 km one way.

Didn't even take it easy, because turbo.

Fuck I'm an idiot.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    Decius wrote: »
    Yep, 7 PSI in rear driver side tire.

I drove to work on a 7 PSI tire.

20 km one way.

Didn't even take it easy, because turbo.

Fuck I'm an idiot.

Even the anal-est of car guys make mistakes. Stop beating yourself up and get that shit fixed.

• Options
    Yeah she's already topped up. Limped it over to a gas station this morning after rush hour died.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    Decius wrote: »
    Yeah she's already topped up. Limped it over to a gas station this morning after rush hour died.

Good, now hoon that bitch to your trusted tire shop and get it taken care of.

• Options
    ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
    I recommend picking up a tire inflator. They're not that expensive, and occasionally very, very handy. I keep one in my car at all times, along with a good pressure gauge.

• Options
    It's on my list now. Damn Canadian Tire needs to get the fuck out my wallet lol.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    Jasconius wrote: »
    fun car size visualization from my office

i.imgur.com/MVYuak3.jpg

first of all i know what you are thinking and no i don't normally park in two spaces. the chrystler guy and i have an agreement though

lef to right... newer M5, older M5, Chrystler 300 (holy shit its bigger than a goddamn SVU), my car, ~2009 Mustang V6, Chrysler Pacifica, 2012 Golf GT R

can't get over how huge that 300 is, and also that the old M5 is not much bigger than mine

There is a guy that parks at one of the other company buildings, drives a first-gen Audi TT. He parks slantways across 3 spaces every single day.

• Options
    Also, it's not just me, right? Somebody else has to think the Ferrari Sergio is pretty ugly:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/first-looks/you-cant-buy-the-ferrari-sergio-because-theyre-already-gone?src=soc_fcbks

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    mRahmani wrote: »
    That is a very 90s-looking car, and not in a good way.

The only thing that car has going for it is the opportunity to make obscure "you know Sergio?" jokes.

• Options
    yeah that's pretty abhorrent. but still not as bad as the ferarri FF

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    @Jasconius‌ If you end up leasing the Bimmer 2, the internet says you can kill the fake engine noise by pulling a particular fuse.

• Options
    jgeis wrote: »
    Also, it's not just me, right? Somebody else has to think the Ferrari Sergio is pretty ugly:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/first-looks/you-cant-buy-the-ferrari-sergio-because-theyre-already-gone?src=soc_fcbks
    mRahmani wrote: »
    That is a very 90s-looking car, and not in a good way.

"6 hand-picked customers"

So, the Sultan of Brunei and 5 emiratis?

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    I think it's time to retire Leaky the Jeep as my daily driver. A Jeep his age is just not cut out for 20,000 mi a year anymore.

Now I have to decide what I want/am willing to pay for.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    How difficult is it to install a remote starter?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

This discussion has been closed.