As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

VROOOM PSH VRROOOOOM [Car thread]

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Although now I'm looking at the 2015 STi and goddamn that look fucking great.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I do wish Utes would be a thing again in the states, especially now that old Caminos are becoming a rarity because of the creeping inevitability rust

At the very least, we did get the Legacy Outback Baja from Subaru for a bit, and that's a pretty good looking car

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Although now I'm looking at the 2015 STi and goddamn that look fucking great.
    Mine is in Dark Gray Metallic, and I fucking love it. Just different enough from the black rims for them to be a nice accent. Gorgeous car, amazing to drive.

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    I agree with the BRZ thing. I basically want a modern version of the SVX.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Good news! The U.S. military is finally opening up sales of decommissioned Humvees to the general public. They just can't be titled and are for off-road use only, and you have to submit an intended end-use form. Still, they're starting the bidding at just $10k for most of the trucks, which is pretty cheap all things considered.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    $10k is real cheap for a car that's known to go for ten times that when road legal

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Man, there are some cool vehicles on that list. Like a 2012 5 ton 6x6 truck going for a couple of grand. I wonder what is wrong with it besides the heater fan not working for it to be so cheap. All the rest of the same kind of vehicle are 20 years older and the same price...

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    The U.S. military is hard on their vehicles. For things like the HMMWV (Humvees), maintenance would be few and far between by any means necessary with whatever was available. I can't imagine what the deuce-and-a-half and 5 tons have been through.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    if I had space I'd get one

• Options
    Truck Yeah has done a follow-up on what those auctioned government vehicles actually ended up going for. Most of the Humvees went for around $30k, that 6x6 5 ton truck went for $4,600 which is downright incredible. Another similar truck went for under $3000.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    if i ever got one I'd put one of these on it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey2GFcuNc0I

i was standing just out of frame in this video and i can tell you that video does not do justice to how amazingly loud that awesome that gun is

Jasconius on
  • Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    msuitepyon wrote: »
    The U.S. military is hard on their vehicles. For things like the HMMWV (Humvees), maintenance would be few and far between by any means necessary with whatever was available. I can't imagine what the deuce-and-a-half and 5 tons have been through.

"Maintenance" would have been done about weekly by privates equipped with a dash-10 and zero fucks to give. Actual maintenance would have been very, very rare because you had to turn it in to the mechanics and they always kept it forever so you tried to avoid it until you absolutely had to send it in.

Also, even aside from all the other abuse those trucks have received (and there's plenty of that), it is almost certain that at some point, someone has tried to piss in a bottle in them and spilled some.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    MadEddy wrote: »

"Maintenance" would have been done about weekly by privates equipped with a dash-10 and zero fucks to give. Actual maintenance would have been very, very rare because you had to turn it in to the mechanics and they always kept it forever so you tried to avoid it until you absolutely had to send it in.

Also, even aside from all the other abuse those trucks have received (and there's plenty of that), it is almost certain that at some point, someone has tried to piss in a bottle in them and spilled some.

eh, just hose it down and open the drain plug.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
  • Options

When you say "dash-10", my mind immediately springs to AN fittings?

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
  • Options
    intropintrop Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    I also want a diesel electric hybrid car. Unless there's something I'm missing, a small turbodiesel engine should return better efficiency numbers when run as a generator than a gasoline engine.
    Sadly, diesel has a lot of downsides for hybrids. :( First, there's cost. As sticker price is already a major barrier for most hybrid purchases, manufacturers are generally loathe to add a kilobuck or two for a diesel engine. Second, they're only marginally more efficient in that application: non-parallel hybrids can choose to run the engine in a very narrow range, meaning they're not lumbered by the Otto cycle and requirements of a broad torque curve, so the gas vs. diesel fuel efficiency gap narrows quite a bit. Lastly, when they show up, it won't be in the US. (I think Mercedes sells one or more in the EU?) Diesel fuel here is ~30% more expensive per gallon than gasoline, so the efficiency differences can't make that up. Here I'd just get a more expensive car that costs more to run. :(

Steam ID: highentropy
  • Options
    introp wrote: »
    jgeis wrote: »
    I also want a diesel electric hybrid car. Unless there's something I'm missing, a small turbodiesel engine should return better efficiency numbers when run as a generator than a gasoline engine.
    Sadly, diesel has a lot of downsides for hybrids. :( First, there's cost. As sticker price is already a major barrier for most hybrid purchases, manufacturers are generally loathe to add a kilobuck or two for a diesel engine. Second, they're only marginally more efficient in that application: non-parallel hybrids can choose to run the engine in a very narrow range, meaning they're not lumbered by the Otto cycle and requirements of a broad torque curve, so the gas vs. diesel fuel efficiency gap narrows quite a bit. Lastly, when they show up, it won't be in the US. (I think Mercedes sells one or more in the EU?) Diesel fuel here is ~30% more expensive per gallon than gasoline, so the efficiency differences can't make that up. Here I'd just get a more expensive car that costs more to run. :(

Diesel is quite a bit more than gas in my area of the US, we're looking at regular unleaded (87AKI, 91RON) prices hovering around $2.20/gal, and diesel prices hovering around $3.79/gal. Gasoline is dropping like a rock right now, I've seen a lot of projections that we could easily get to $2/gal this week or the next. It's already that cheap in some areas.

Hybrid and electric cars look so much less attractive to your average buyer when gas is so cheap. Hopefully US consumers won't be so quick to buck the fuel efficiency trend this time around. Cheap gas is here for now, but it won't be here to stay.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Increased fuel effiency is federally mandated for each manufacturer's fleet, so they aren't going to stop trying to make vehicles that they can say get 100+ eMPG.

• Options
    Increased fuel effiency is federally mandated for each manufacturer's fleet, so they aren't going to stop trying to make vehicles that they can say get 100+ eMPG.

This is true, but I guess I'm just talking about buying trends. People will still be buying more and more fuel efficient vehicles, they'll just be buying less fuel efficient/larger vehicles than they need to.

So the Miata-based Alfa Romeo roadster is being transferred to Fiat. Alfa Romeo is going to make a roadster of their own, based on their upcoming 159 replacement's RWD platform.

• Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    What do you guys think about a 2015 Fiat 500 Abarath (automatic) for a daily driver commuter? Drove one today and really liking it. It has zero additional safety things I was looking for in a car (blindspot monitoring, rear view camera etc) but man it sounds so good.

• Options
    You really only need blind spot monitoring if your neck is fused solid and you are unable to turn your head to check your blindspots yourself.
    As for the reversing cameras, once again, use your eyes and mirrors instead.
    Save a bunch of money!
    Get the manual though.

• Options
    There are cars that need both of those because of horrible blind spots, such as my Mazda CX9 when I have 7 people in it.

The Beetle GSR was taken off my list for many reasons - but the big one was the spoiler blocked all ability to see behind you.

• Options
    The reversing camera on my Forester did NOT prevent me from bumping a truck in a crowded parking lot after a Halloween night walk through the zoo. I could see it plain as day and I still let myself hit it. Human error is always present!

• Options
    I don't know if they're on the Abarth or newer models, by my girlfriend's '13 Fiat 500 has some fisheye mirrors underneath the regular side mirrors. Makes backing up and changing lanes super easy.

• Options
    you need blindspot monitoring in a van of any size IMO

they are just impossible to see out of despite their windshield sized side windows

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    heh, windows. Look at this van newbie.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular

When you say "dash-10", my mind immediately springs to AN fittings?

Sorry, it's the technical manual. It's called a dash-10 because the TM number will end in a -10, indicating it's a operator-level manual. It basically contains a checklist for the maintenance checks.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    Ok bought an 2015 Fiat Abarth. So far pretty fun little car, my dad seems a little excited it in as well as he was giving me a list of mods he would do and in what order. Got to find a good iPhone mount to see if I want to replace the stock radio with a nav unit or if just the phone will be enough for now.

• Options
    Pictures you fool!

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    So there are some pretty awesome perks to working at GM
    IMG_20141222_093135%3Anopm%3A.jpg
    IMG_20141222_093341%3Anopm%3A.jpg

I get to play with this until the 5th. And it is certifiably insane.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    my friend who used to be a mechanic at a caddy dealership insists that I buy a CTS-V

i hear much high praise, what are your thoughts?

Jasconius on
  • Options
    mRahmani wrote: »
    So there are some pretty awesome perks to working at GM
    IMG_20141222_093135%3Anopm%3A.jpg
    IMG_20141222_093341%3Anopm%3A.jpg

I get to play with this until the 5th. And it is certifiably insane.

And on the 6th they should be installing some new tires, if you're doing it right.

• Options
    i guess the CTS-V is becoming a sedan-only option next year

but look at this mighty fine ATS-V

http://www.cadillac.com/v-series.html

I could get along with that

• Options
    Pictures you fool!

6z2asuu6deaq.jpg

It's my (male) Midlife Crisis car even though it looks like "my sweet sixteen car if I was a goth". It's little gets good gas milage and will make a good commuter I think.

• Options
    Nah, that's rad.

• Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    useless4 wrote: »
    Pictures you fool!

6z2asuu6deaq.jpg

It's my (male) Midlife Crisis car even though it looks like "my sweet sixteen car if I was a goth". It's little gets good gas milage and will make a good commuter I think.

I think the benefit of getting a ferocious smaller car is that you will actually get to travel the tachometer without losing your license

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    So I picked up a new ride just before Christmas, brand new Dodge Charger R/T

63mrkw1n4whi.jpg

I do love a spacious sedan with balls.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    Haha finally got another V8 stale? Good on you dude

• Options
    Jasconius wrote: »
    my friend who used to be a mechanic at a caddy dealership insists that I buy a CTS-V

i hear much high praise, what are your thoughts?

It's pretty much an uglier Pontiac G8, with a plusher interior. Should be fine.

This discussion has been closed.