As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

VROOOM PSH VRROOOOOM [Car thread]

• Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    Or the young people just feel cool, like I did

That car was a full 2/3rds of the fun of my trip to the states, fucking awesome. Unless you're in death valley in midday in summer having the top down works fine

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I was sorely disappointed to learn, upon returning my rental Fiesta, that the rental lot had Mitsubishi Mirages for rent. All of them were checked out when we picked up our car. I have really wanted to drive one since seeing some reviews for them. Just such a throwback to a simpler time.

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    ...somebody dropped a newspaper or something on the interstate and pages were fluttering everywhere and one of them whapped me right in the chest going faster than I should have and it was...scary

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Or the young people just feel cool, like I did

That car was a full 2/3rds of the fun of my trip to the states, fucking awesome. Unless you're in death valley in midday in summer having the top down works fine

Nah man it is internet car law that only old people with erectile dysfunction can enjoy convertibles, didn't you know?

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I don't like the way convertibles look

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Depends on the convertible for me.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I don't like riding in convertibles. Even in California weather, I still have to deal with California traffic. I can't imagine a convertible being pleasant on 101 at rush hour. And if you just have the top up 95% of the time, why not get a car with a real roof?

If I'm ever super-rich to the point where I could have cars just for the hell of it, I'd probably have one. Otherwise, eh.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    I sunburn too easily to ever be interested in a convertible.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I hate the PT Cruiser but it is one car that I think looks vastly better as a convertible.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I hate the PT Cruiser but it is one car that I think looks vastly better as a convertible.

It looks like a bathtub with an engine compartment on one end. It's gopping.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    It's ugly as fuck. But it looks better than the nonconvertible to me.

• Options
    The Nissan Murano cabriolet is the uncontested champion of terrible looking convertibles.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I've always thought targa style tops were cooler than true convertibles (I sorta include the early models of MX-5 because you can swap the canvas top for a metal one)

Targas get much more streamlined looks, fewer structural compromises, and a lot of really badass models to choose from

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i agree, targas are really cool. not sure they exist anymore though outside of the exotic/custom markets?

• Options
    My car has a big ass panoramic sunroof and I think that's a perfect medium

• Options
    Jasconius wrote: »
    i agree, targas are really cool. not sure they exist anymore though outside of the exotic/custom markets?

Well, there are plenty of them floating around the used market still, especially old Z-cars

• Options
    I still miss the T-top on my Camaro. I want a sports car that has a trick T-top stowing mechanism like the new Porsche 911 Targa uses. Give me that open air feeling while maintaining a strong spine.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    As much as I have a mad throbbing boner for the 370Z, the convertible version is fucking ugly.

• Options
    the non-convertible 370Z is also ugly *controversy*

• Options
    Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    Yeah but the Nissan Figaro is universally adored and I definitely won't look stupid in it even though I'm 6'6" and might have to stick my head out the top.
    I most certainly will look weird.

• Options
    the non-convertible 370Z is also ugly *controversy*

I will

*what's the saying?*

I will kill you until you die from it.

I could also reply in kind - "says the guy that owns an RX-8", but then I actually think RX-8s look pretty good, the internets be damned.

• Options
    the first gen RX-8 is ugly, i can't dispute that. mine though I think looks pretty fresh

• Options
    The Volkswagen Tiguan is the height of beauty.

• Options
    The RX-8 is a bit askew on the front end, but the rest is sublime

I'd say the 370z looks good, but then the 350 and 370 have all their problems beneath the surface. Too heavy, and weird handling, because the chassis is adapted from some random Infiniti rather than being a wholly unique fabrication

That flew a few years ago, but between the new Miata and Toyobaru, there's no excuse

• Options
    edited April 2015
    edit: double post

but while I'm using this text box, ideally I'd make the 380z a wholly new and much smaller car

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    who can't like this

mazda_rx_8_r3_2009_exterior_frontview.jpg

• Options
    I've never been a big fan of Mazda's logo

• Options
    the first gen RX-8 is ugly, i can't dispute that. mine though I think looks pretty fresh

What exactly is the visual difference between a series 1 and series 2 RX-8?

• Options

What exactly is the visual difference between a series 1 and series 2 RX-8?

the series 1 nose looks pinched off, the dimensions just aren't right

Mazda_rx-8_front_view.jpg

• Options
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    The RX-8 is a bit askew on the front end, but the rest is sublime

I'd say the 370z looks good, but then the 350 and 370 have all their problems beneath the surface. Too heavy, and weird handling, because the chassis is adapted from some random Infiniti rather than being a wholly unique fabrication

That flew a few years ago, but between the new Miata and Toyobaru, there's no excuse

Too heavy? That's a V6 motor and a gearbox and drivetrain capable of handling the torque adding weight, vs. a 4 cylinder motor and comparably smaller and lighter drivetrain bumping the weight up an extra 300 pounds. remember, the MX-5 doesn't even have a heated rear window because it is a sheet of plastic, not glass. As for the "weird" handling, that is entirely a product of the car turning out to be WAY more expensive to build than Nissan had hoped for. The 350Z was originally intended to compete directly with the MX-5 on price. They had to cut corners in many places, the suspension being one of them. Aftermarket coilovers, bushes, and swaybars along with a better setup and alignment can legitimately turn a car that gets dodgy past 8/10ths (like an S2000) into an actual Porsche Cayman beater.

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Yeah but the Nissan Figaro is universally adored and I definitely won't look stupid in it even though I'm 6'6" and might have to stick my head out the top.

Please post pictures of this.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    It's a really subtle thing, but the new Mazda grille definitely does add a bit of character

I do like the first gen RX-8's looks more than average though

• Options
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    Decius wrote: »

Please post pictures of this.

I will as soon as it stops being a boat. It was warm last week and the wait was making me anxious but now it's snowing again so my enthusiasm has been reduced accordingly. Ontario springs are fucking treacherous.

• Options
    Decius wrote: »

Some people just want to watch the world burn.

• Options
    See, now I want a Impreza WRX ute

• Options
    Closest thing available.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_Baja

Turbo w/ 5sp manual is a true unicorn.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Arg I love driving my mom's car. It is so much nicer feeling than my instructor's.

I know I'm probably going to have to get an even cheaper one too. Oh well...

Anyone have tips about buying cheap used cars?

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »
    Arg I love driving my mom's car. It is so much nicer feeling than my instructor's.

I know I'm probably going to have to get an even cheaper one too. Oh well...

Anyone have tips about buying cheap used cars?

Hyundai - look for low mileage and a good service history. Be prepared to spend a few thousand and wait a while, and you should be able to find yourself a decent example that will last for at least a hundred thousand miles or so.

This discussion has been closed.