As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[nfl] THIS THREAD IS AS DEAD AS THE BUCS PLAYOFF CHANCES!

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I'm not saying that other players don't do it. I'm not saying that other teams don't do it. What I am saying is that it's clear the Seahawks made it a conscious, concerted part of their overall defensive scheme to initiate as much contact at the line (and afterwards) as possible. This isn't a guy sneaking in a hit when 7 guys are in a pile, or a middle lineman getting an illegal grab when he knows the refs have their line of sight blocked. This is an entire secondary saying, "I know these are the rules, I'm not even going to pretend to follow them, and I dare you to call it every time." Like, the Saints had that controversy with the bounties, but everyone knows that all across the league defenses consciously target other players. The difference is that everyone agrees it shouldn't happen, and that the degree and intent were particularly egregious, not in whether or not "other people do it". We aren't 7 years old anymore. That argument doesn't fly. Seattle made it a thing last year, and other teams did it and will continue to do it unless it's clamped down upon.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Last year there were 37 total flags for illegal contact, this preseason there have been 29! Flags for illegal contact. Because thats what the NFL needs more untouchable offenses.

Also if you're a panther fan... yeesh Newton is looking terrible.

You have to understand that Seattle won something. Drastic steps had to be taken

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Teams that can make contact at the line will. Because it is legal. I just disagree that it was as bad as people led on. The vast majority of the coverage by the Hawks was just plain old fashioned good coverage. Individuals fearing the worst, and whining, made the play in the last post a illegal contact. When that is just good D. I would prefer that judgement calls be lesser rather than focused. As we have seen this preseason it is almost as bad as the replacement refs in term of game quality.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Teams that can make contact at the line will. Because it is legal. I just disagree that it was as bad as people led on. The vast majority of the coverage by the Hawks was just plain old fashioned good coverage. Individuals fearing the worst, and whining, made the play in the last post a illegal contact. When that is just good D. I would prefer that judgement calls be lesser rather than focused. As we have seen this preseason it is almost as bad as the replacement refs in term of game quality.

Don't you know if a team shuts down Peyton with secondary play, rules must be changed??? It's like you didn't even watch the 2004 afc title game

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    HooverFanHooverFan NCRegistered User regular
    Last year there were 37 total flags for illegal contact, this preseason there have been 29! Flags for illegal contact. Because thats what the NFL needs more untouchable offenses.

Cam looked like somebody who missed most all of the off season and is just now getting cleared to fully practice not to mention first game action and all this without really knowing his new WR's and missing his main TE tonight

2nd game of the preseason... keep shit in perspective

BNet profile: HooverFish#1668
    PSN: HooverFanPA
    Steam: HooverFan
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »

Don't you know if a team shuts down Peyton with secondary play, rules must be changed??? It's like you didn't even watch the 2004 afc title game

I'm a Bronco's fan, and I agree it's a terrible kneejerk reaction. Seattle's corner's do bend/break/HIALRIOUSLY violate the contact rules, but Earl Thomas is the reason why that defense works and Sherman/X Corner/KAM can play as physically and agressivly as they do, because they know Earl will mask any mistakes they make early.

The Superbowl was fate and all the signs of it going that way were readily apparent.

Our defense was on the verge of collapse due to injuries, and we weren't good on defense ANYWAY, plus the fact that our offense covered ALOT of that weakness. Get and keep our offense off the field and OH BOY.

Couple that with one of the most agressive, physical defenses in the modern era, and you have literally the opposite of the Heat/Spurs finals this season.

Did I mention it was like, the ONE game over the past TWO SEASONS in which Percy Harvin was healthy?

FATE.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    HooverFan wrote: »

Cam looked like somebody who missed most all of the off season and is just now getting cleared to fully practice not to mention first game action and all this without really knowing his new WR's and missing his main TE tonight

Yeah I get that, it just he was overthrowing pretty badly against a chiefs secondary. What I'm saying is PANTHERS ARE DOOMED!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    HooverFan wrote: »

Yeah I get that, it just he was overthrowing pretty badly against a chiefs secondary. What I'm saying is PANTHERS ARE DOOMED!

He has always overthrown/thrown high. One of the hopes is that Kelvin can go up and get them. Steve smith was never a good fit for Cam.

I would download a car.
  • Options
    I dunno if I'd say swapping a great veteran for a flat out rookie is a great upgrade, especially with supporting staff of at best 2 3 recievers.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I wouldn't call it an upgrade either. Steve Smith was a great receiver who had his talent wasted in Carolina, even while Cam was throwing the ball. They're going to have to build a system around him, and that includes speedy guys with good elevation to make up for mediocre accuracy. He probably has another year or two of good running seasons as well, until time catches up with him like it does all of the running quarterbacks.

I would download a car.
  • Options
    Tonight will be the worst preseason game ever for ESPN to have, Johnny Football on one end, RG3 on the other, god help us all.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    How excited are you all for a great night of Brown's football!?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So Excited, you don't even know! This is the most I've been excited for a Browns game since their last game last year!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Browns and slurs. Gruden and turico.

Dante cut this chapter because it was too traumatic.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Good stop Brown's!!!

Edit boo

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Johnny no. Pls.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Come in to see the browns turning the ball over on downs. So exactly as I expected.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I see Manziel showed his poise by flipping off the slurs bench, must be time for sports writers to get the vapors over this never before seen gesture.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    hall-gets-salty.jpg

A single bird is not good enough for Ohio.

Note: not a value judgment. That is how I want that rivalry to be.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Where is the public outcry!? Oh wait he is white. ;)

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    He's not thuggish or gangsta enough.

He's just a crazy, funny, quirky dude. Like Birdman and his tats.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited August 2014

this doesn't actually really count for Manziel, since the talking heads have been arguing whether he's too much of a douchebag even for the NFL since before he got drafted.

like the critique against him from day one has always been Character Issues

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    So the third whitest man in the world, Phil Simms has said that he's not likely to use the Redskin's name when he does the Thursday night game with them.
    "My very first thought is it will be Washington the whole game," Simms told The Associated Press on Monday.

• Options
    FUCK YOU PHIL SIMMS YOU SON OF A BITCH!!!!

Sorry wait that's my general reaction as a buffalo fan. Uhh That's good, good for you.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    I can not wait for the blog posts calling him racist for not honoring Native Americans by using that name.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

Its all I heard about last night in sports media. He is being condemned for it everywhere I look.

• Options
    He should be condemned for his play last night... Its ok when he gets traded to the seahawks for magic beans he'll suddenly be amazeballs.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Manziel has been screaming NFL bust so loud so long he almost comes around the other side to guy with potential

Almost being the operative word

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Its hard to tell really, preseason while being the same game is not the same game, what happens in preseason doesn't forecast shit, like the lions in their 0-16 year went 4-0 in the preseason.

Manziel might be a bust, or he might be the second coming of... shit did the browns ever have a qb worth a damn? Vinny Testeverde?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Its hard to tell really, preseason while being the same game is not the same game, what happens in preseason doesn't forecast shit, like the lions in their 0-16 year went 4-0 in the preseason.

Manziel might be a bust, or he might be the second coming of... shit did the browns ever have a qb worth a damn? Vinny Testeverde?

They had Otto Graham in the 50's. Kosar made the pro bowl in 1987. Also (holy shit) derek anderson made the pro bowl in 2007?

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    Wow. That's worse than my joke about listing a jets qb.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Darnell Dockett is out for the season, the sleeper pick of the rams winning the NFC west becomes all the more real!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »

You have to understand that Seattle won something. Drastic steps had to be taken

They are on to the conspiracy to keep Seattle down

Active protocol zeta

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    So, Super Bowl halftime news.

First off, the NFL has narrowed it down to three finalists, and none of them are Weird Al: it'll either be Katy Perry, Rihanna or Coldplay.

Second, the NFL has requested that whoever does win the gig pay them part of their post-Super Bowl tour income as compensation for being awarded the gig. Presumably everybody better than Coldplay told the NFL to get bent. (Wall Street Journal article for those of you who can get through the paywall.)

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    It's not a conspiracy if everyone is out to get you. I mean these rules specifically target aggressive pass defenses and the super bowl champs were the most aggressive of the bunch.

Its also ridiculous considering Pey Pey set offensive records all over the place and there were not corresponding rule changes to offenses on the same scale that there have been for defenses. So clearly the NFL wants more offense and even more handicapped defense.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    It's not a conspiracy if everyone is out to get you. I mean these rules specifically target aggressive pass defenses and the super bowl champs were the most aggressive of the bunch.

Its also ridiculous considering Pey Pey set offensive records all over the place and there were not corresponding rule changes to offenses on the same scale that there have been for defenses. So clearly the NFL wants more offense and even more handicapped defense.

The last time this was emphasized was in 2004, the year after Manning was embarrassed (4 INT in the AFC Championship) by the Patriots with similar tactics. Polian was explicitly the driving force behind that emphasis because his team lost. I am a bit skeptical that the emphasis came after another Peyton asskicking in a major game

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Speaking of embarrassing pey pey, I was watching the superbowl on blu ray last night and had to turn it off at the half for fear my boner would last longer than four hours.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure the NFL is of the opinion that high octane passing offenses that score a lot of points are more popular than defenses that prevent the big name players from being able to put on a show. They may even be right, and they are in business to make money (and they are making a ton of money). I wonder if it will reach a point where they are so convinced they can do no wrong that they will do something that significantly hurts their income without realizing it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ObiFett wrote: »

Its all I heard about last night in sports media. He is being condemned for it everywhere I look.

To me it is more of him being "chastised" than condemned. The coverage I saw basically stated "is it a big deal?" with "nah he is just immature/he should grow out of it" as the response.