Options

[nfl] THIS THREAD IS AS DEAD AS THE BUCS PLAYOFF CHANCES!

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Nah if they can make smoking a joint a greater penalty than beating your wife they are pretty much incapable of hurting their brand.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the NFL is of the opinion that high octane passing offenses that score a lot of points are more popular than defenses that prevent the big name players from being able to put on a show. They may even be right, and they are in business to make money (and they are making a ton of money). I wonder if it will reach a point where they are so convinced they can do no wrong that they will do something that significantly hurts their income without realizing it.
    That's definitely what they think

OTOH is there a more exciting play than a pick 6? Maybe a scoop and score?

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Kick Return.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    fat guy touchdown

• Options
    If Mebane ever scored a touchdown, I'd be terrified what he'd unleash on the world.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    PantsB wrote: »
    chrisnl wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the NFL is of the opinion that high octane passing offenses that score a lot of points are more popular than defenses that prevent the big name players from being able to put on a show. They may even be right, and they are in business to make money (and they are making a ton of money). I wonder if it will reach a point where they are so convinced they can do no wrong that they will do something that significantly hurts their income without realizing it.
    That's definitely what they think

OTOH is there a more exciting play than a pick 6? Maybe a scoop and score?

Buttfumble

Metal Jared on
    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    sacks are also exciting moments in games

• Options
    True fat guys and kick returns are pretty great, even ones that don't score
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac0YwM1fI70

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    fuck that game

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    How about a long rushing TD play in which there are several broken tackles.

Such as Marshawn Lynch making the Saints look silly a few years back.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    How about a long rushing TD play in which there are several broken tackles.

Such as Marshawn Lynch making the Saints look silly a few years back.

Man even just Jermain Kerse's pinball touchdown in the superbowl was enough to remind Denver how bad they are

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    I liked Baldwins, though Kearse's was a bit embarrasing. Like god damn learn how to tackle.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    One of my biggest gripes about football is that on any particular play chosen at random, you can find a way to call a hold or a PI or an illegal contact, because without violating those rules the game flat out does not get played like it does.

Also the best play is CLEARLY the ultra rare fat man pick six.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Gosling wrote: »
    So, Super Bowl halftime news.

First off, the NFL has narrowed it down to three finalists, and none of them are Weird Al: it'll either be Katy Perry, Rihanna or Coldplay.

Second, the NFL has requested that whoever does win the gig pay them part of their post-Super Bowl tour income as compensation for being awarded the gig. Presumably everybody better than Coldplay told the NFL to get bent. (Wall Street Journal article for those of you who can get through the paywall.)

Who even gives a shit about halftime entertainment? I can't remember the last time I cared about the game, let alone some dippy concert in the middle that takes too long and has fuck all to do with anything.

• Options
    Yeah I can't tell you how little I care about the halftime show.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    They should just do a multistage music festival for the week before, then put the highlights on the big screen during a fairly normal length halftime.

• Options
    Or they could just have a simple marching band and not have the thing last so long an entire team can take a shower and have their hair be dry.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Marching bands. I want to see marching bands during halftime.

God damnit preacher. I'd hate you, but you're a bills fan so you hate yourself enough for all of us.

Veevee on
  • Options
    Also a mariners fan, self loathing about my sports team is my life!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I liked Baldwins, though Kearse's was a bit embarrasing. Like god damn learn how to tackle.

If I was a seahawks receiver I would be sort of pissed that I made an amazing play, dodging receivers like it's the matrix and/or a pinball game, and nobody even cares because the game was all but over thanks to the D.

Like if that had been a 17-17 game when baldwin or kearse made their tds those plays would have names

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Olbermann on the strong take with regards to charging acts to play at the halftime show. If they are going to select Cold Play to be there, they should pay the fans that have to listen to them.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I can't think of a single act that would benefit from paying the NFL to do the halftime show, and also have the national appeal to actually do the show. Any manager that agrees to the NFL's terms for a performer on the level of Katy Perry or Rihanna needs to be fired immediately because there is no way it creates any revenue that comes even close to matching what the performer will end up paying the NFL.

Now, if they used an up-and-comer that wasn't nationally famous yet I could understand that, but good luck getting the NFL to agree to a no-namer for the half-time show

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure I can hear Katy Perry and Rhianna laughing when I step outside

Coldplay I could maaaaaaybe see doing it for the publicity since they haven't been much in the spotlight lately but eh, I don't think they're having trouble selling tickets.

And honestly now that the deal is public I don't see any major act going along with it.

Mostly this is just a dumb idea all around.

• Options
    Seen by 115 mil in the US plus millions more in the world? Uhh yeah some acts would pay for that kind of huge national exposure.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Seen by 115 mil in the US plus millions more in the world? Uhh yeah some acts would pay for that kind of huge national exposure.

And those acts don't have the national exposure to entice the NFL enough to give the the halftime show.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

And those acts don't have the national exposure to entice the NFL enough to give the the halftime show.

Exactly.

I they need the exposure* they're not famous enough to get the gig and if they are famous enough to get the gig a cut of the touring profits, which is largely what major acts thrive on these days, it's almost assuredly a laughable offer.

*There is no way 115 million people watch the halftime show. 115 million people watch the super bowl. A very sizeable chunk of those people give utterly no fucks about the halftime show. Going by lolanectodalevidence a tiny fraction of people give a shit about the halftime show especially since if it somehow magically turns out to be decent they can rewind the DVR or catch it on youtube. The halftime show is "get another beer/munchies/grab a smoke/chat with friends" time.

• Options
    The halftime show is "get another beer/munchies/grab a smoke/chat with friends/take a fiery shit from too many wings" time.

You missed the most important reason the halftime is extra long

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Lol if you don't have a 12" TV in the restroom for the day of the Super Bowl.

I went to a SB party one time where they had 15 TVs all split off the main cable feed so there was one in every room.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    There's promotion leading up to the super bowl and who the half time act is. Honestly the NFL asking for some money for all that free promotion isn't unreasonable at all.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    God forbid a rookie QB ride the pine for a year or two in this day and age.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    As a Vikings fan, I desperately want Cassel to continue being a decent choice and allow Bridgewater to be the backup for a year or two without getting injured.

• Options
    No don't you see, this means he'll never be anything ever. I mean a guy like Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers was starting immediately!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    As a Vikings fan, I desperately want Cassel to continue being a decent choice and allow Bridgewater to be the backup for a year or two without getting injured.

I don't want to be mean because the bills are starting Manuel and his bubble gum and balsa wood knees. But this is such a sad state for a team to be in david, such a sad state.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Lest we forget, I'm also a twins fan. I bought the 1991 World Series DVD just so I didn't have to watch any games this year. I've become accustomed to a team being perpetually sad.

The Vikings have had amazing QBs in my lifetime, just always at the end of their careers. Warren Moon, Randall Cunningham, Brett Faaaaaavre. I just really want Teddy Bridgewater to be awesome and I'm willing to wait.

• Options
    No don't you see, this means he'll never be anything ever. I mean a guy like Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers was starting immediately!

Also Cassel and Hoyer themselves, Drew Brees, Phillip Rivers, Colin Kaepernick....

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    Lest we forget, I'm also a twins fan. I bought the 1991 World Series DVD just so I didn't have to watch any games this year. I've become accustomed to a team being perpetually sad.

The Vikings have had amazing QBs in my lifetime, just always at the end of their careers. Warren Moon, Randall Cunningham, Brett Faaaaaavre. I just really want Teddy Bridgewater to be awesome and I'm willing to wait.

I think Teddy can be a good qb, the sad part is the Vikings will need a new #1 rb before that happens.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Maybe Robert Smith will come out of retirement.

• Options

Also Cassel and Hoyer themselves, Drew Brees, Phillip Rivers, Colin Kaepernick....

Honestly Russel Wilson is a huge exception to the rule, and he plays on a team that isn't a pass first, pass now, pass to live team.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited August 2014

Honestly Russel Wilson is a huge exception to the rule, and he plays on a team that isn't a pass first, pass now, pass to live team.

Russ didn't ride the bench his first season, true, however, the only reason why he didn't was because he put up utterly ridiculous numbers in the preseason.

Numbers so good Seattle said, "Yeeeah Matt Flynn had a perfectly respectable pre-season and we just paid him millions of dollas, BUT DAT RUSS BRO"

Edit: Manziel riding the bench is good for him, specifically, since he has two really bad habits(Saying FUCK IT, and taking off, or saying FUCK IT, I'M GOIN DEEP) that would get him into a large amount of trouble once defenses start noticing those tendancies.

Giving him a year will get him more comfortable with NFL speed in practice so he dosen't have to rely on his two...err...trump cards?

Transporter on