As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Titanfall]

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I don't even eject anymore unless I need to get blown clear. I just hop out in critical, people will usually keep fighting the auto titan while I run away

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    uh I have like 75 wins by the time I hit level 50 once, I can't imagine it being a problem by G9.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    My xbone ate a couple of great clips the other day, one being a dude hopping out of his Titan only to get hit in the face by my charge rifle. It's way more dangerous to emerge from the Titan in crit than eject.

• Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    So, right now I'm a few titanfall drop kills from completing every challenge to get to Gen-9 except the roadblock one; win 100 matches. I wonder if, when the same people that stopped grinding or complained to high hell about getting 50 gooser kills actually get to this point, they'll complain a lot about it? And will Respawn nerf this challenge too? I mean this challenge requires a minimum of 100 matches to be played, heh.

I have no doubt there will be a big outcry. And for someone who only pubs, it would be a fairly daunting challenge. For those of us who regularly group up though, it really isn't more than just a normal time-sink.

Otherwise yeah, the rest of the Gen 9 challenges are surprisingly easy.

Oh, I only pub. I haven't had problems with the challenge.

That said, this challenge isn't an "immediate gratification" kinda thing... so... I expect there to be whine. I just hope they don't cave again.
    100 wins is a totally different bag of cats than a number of kills that require a very specific set of titan-related circumstances to be met.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Eh, I'm not convinced.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Well you're kinda assuming that everyone should/can reach the final gen. It's not exactly hard to amass 100 wins if you've already sunk however many hours to get to Gen 9. Hopefully by then you have learned the ropes a little. Besides they aren't really challenges if they aren't a bit... challenging. If you really can not muster 100 wins even by accident, you are doing something terribly wrong.
    I have nothing against playing pub matches, but playing with friends/PA peeps is always more fun and there's some amount of teamwork going on (such advanced tactics include "Everyone go right!" Or "Shoot Her!"). LTS with pubs is pulling teeth every single time.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Well you're kinda assuming that everyone should/can reach the final gen. It's not exactly hard to amass 100 wins if you've already sunk however many hours to get to Gen 9. Hopefully by then you have learned the ropes a little. Besides they aren't really challenges if they aren't a bit... challenging. If you really can not muster 100 wins even by accident, you are doing something terribly wrong.
    I have nothing against playing pub matches, but playing with friends/PA peeps is always more fun and there's some amount of teamwork going on (such advanced tactics include "Everyone go right!" Or "Shoot Her!"). LTS with pubs is pulling teeth every single time.

If challenges were meant to be "challenging" then people wouldn't have whined about the gooser challenge. :P

edit: I can understand why people would have said it was hard, but I still don't think it should have be set to 5.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Yeah but as others have mentioned that's a extremely specific scenario required to happen 50 times, so you just have to be lucky that many times. Winning games is just a thing that will happen when you play Titanfall. If you are better it will happen faster, but everyone has a fair shot at winning. Gooser kills do not just happen, though. There aren't comparable, to me anyway. I can see why you would think they might tone it down with fan backlash but like I said before, I have seen multiple gen 10s post-patch so it's clearly not *impossible* like 50 gooser kills was. Hell I still don't have one...
    I do hope with the season pass, they add more weapons and challenges/generations. Have they ever done that in a CoD game? It would give the game more life once the newer maps come out.

• Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    My favorite tactic is Spider's patented "HE'S ON MY BACK!" We haven't done much LTS since matchmaking was "improved." Attrition and Domination are enough of a slog. LTS is great fun in organized groups and in anything else it's the worst. It's also bad if a lot of people are trying to do titan-based achievements because then nobody is really trying to win.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    My xbone ate a couple of great clips the other day, one being a dude hopping out of his Titan only to get hit in the face by my charge rifle. It's way more dangerous to emerge from the Titan in crit than eject.

Yeah, unless my titan is about to go, I will hunt down pilots that just get out. They deny me a titan execution, they get the brofist.

Speaking of the brofist...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzBASuNpWQI&feature=youtu.be

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    So yeah, the regen challenges to get Titan kills are kind of silly. Up until these I felt good about getting assists or kills with ordinance. I'm not really a fan of "last hit" mechanics though in general.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    mrflippy wrote: »
    So yeah, the regen challenges to get Titan kills are kind of silly. Up until these I felt good about getting assists or kills with ordinance. I'm not really a fan of "last hit" mechanics though in general.

Yeah, best thing to come out of Battlefield 4 was the "Assist Counts As Kill" idea.

EDIT: For those unfamiliar, assists where you do damage over some threshold (85% I believe?) count as a kill for stats/rewards, regardless of who lands the last shot.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    mrflippy wrote: »

Yeah, best thing to come out of Battlefield 4 was the "Assist Counts As Kill" idea.

EDIT: For those unfamiliar, assists where you do damage over some threshold (85% I believe?) count as a kill for stats/rewards, regardless of who lands the last shot.

Yeah, something like that would be nice, especially for high hitpoint targets like Titans. I don't know if it matters so much for pilots though.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    It'd be better if they actually had challenges that made sense too.

Asking someone to get titan kills with the arc cannon is just sadistic and for the record I really like the Arc cannon. I've just gotten like, seven titan kills total with it.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    I don't get any Titan kills with Titan weapons ever since I unlocked big punch. The guns are just for softening.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    I don't even eject anymore unless I need to get blown clear. I just hop out in critical, people will usually keep fighting the auto titan while I run away

I auto-eject so that I don't get titan executed.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Ardent wrote: »
    My favorite tactic is Spider's patented "HE'S ON MY BACK!" We haven't done much LTS since matchmaking was "improved." Attrition and Domination are enough of a slog. LTS is great fun in organized groups and in anything else it's the worst. It's also bad if a lot of people are trying to do titan-based achievements because then nobody is really trying to win.

you know that the improved matchmaking has only been rolled into Attrition and Hardpoint right? the other modes should still be using the old system. not sure how variety pack works though. i imagine that'll have everything running the old system too.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    My Titan was doomed three times last night while terminating people. It was worth it every time. I'll happily stand in someone's cluster missile if it means I can yank a pilot out of his Titan and crush his puny body.

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Dunno if it's been posted, but people have been able to play the 360 version due to servers going online (briefly) early. And...

... it actually looks really rather good:

http://kotaku.com/our-first-look-at-titanfall-on-the-xbox-360-1559520921

Bit blurry due to streams and what-not but the Youtube video uploaded is a decent indication of what it's to look like.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    ::fake edit because I can't edit.:: This was posted on last page. Ignore me. Dunno if the youtube video was up then though.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Bad textures are bad. The Titans look like toys. Though YouTube probably isn't helping with that.

But the gameplay seems intact.

• Options
    -silent--silent- Registered User regular
    So does anyone actually like the anti-titan charge rifle? Or are the only people using it trying to complete the gen 4 challenge? I'm just not a fan of it, but maybe I'm using it wrong. It obviously takes a while to charge up, but then I don't think it does that much damage. And getting crit hits is a pain for me. I've doomed over 10 titans with it trying to get crit hits, but in all of those dooms I only got 2 or 3 crit hits. Though like Local H, one time I did destroy a pilot trying to get out of his titan which was cool.

For me, this is the hardest challenge of gen 4.

• Options
    I don't like any weapon that I can't shoot immediately, so I'm definitely not a fan of that weapon. I'm on gen 4, too, and just unlocked it last night. The agony begins.

• Options
    -silent- wrote: »
    So does anyone actually like the anti-titan charge rifle? Or are the only people using it trying to complete the gen 4 challenge? I'm just not a fan of it, but maybe I'm using it wrong. It obviously takes a while to charge up, but then I don't think it does that much damage. And getting crit hits is a pain for me. I've doomed over 10 titans with it trying to get crit hits, but in all of those dooms I only got 2 or 3 crit hits. Though like Local H, one time I did destroy a pilot trying to get out of his titan which was cool.

It does slightly less damage than an Archer, more if you crit. Plus unlike the archer you only need to be exposed for a split second if you get used to the charging mechanism.

It's best in class for anti-titan weapons.

• Options
    LilleDjevelLilleDjevel Registered User regular

No damage are we using the same gun? Fully charged you take shields + 1 and a half hp bar from atlas, without shield you take him down to less than 50% hp instantly, deals a bit less damage to an ogre and a ton more to strider!

Grass Grows,
    Birds Fly,
    'til there's Fire in the Sky...

steam_sig.png
  • Options

It does slightly less damage than an Archer, more if you crit. Plus unlike the archer you only need to be exposed for a split second if you get used to the charging mechanism.

So you're saying I shouldn't be standing in the middle of the road trying to stay on target for a crit only to get stomped on by another titan? Basically I am using it wrong. Not surprised.

• Options
    LilleDjevelLilleDjevel Registered User regular
    Derp can't edit since error, but if you use the insta charged addon and cluster missiles it's pritty easy to pick up kills with it when you get used to the fixed damage!

Grass Grows,
    Birds Fly,
    'til there's Fire in the Sky...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited April 2014

unamped it's a pile of shit that just gets you instakilled by bullshit chaingun from downtown. The Amped one is baller as fuck though. With it I can get like 10 crits per match and doom all of the titans always and forever.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options

I'd call the mag launcher the best anti-Titan weapon since you can use it without exposing yourself. It also doesn't have a bright red beam that goes "HEY ENEMY TEAM, I'M RIGHT HERE!"

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

I'd call the mag launcher the best anti-Titan weapon since you can use it without exposing yourself. It also doesn't have a bright red beam that goes "HEY ENEMY TEAM, I'M RIGHT HERE!"

Using the charge rifle definitely results in me getting sniped like three seconds later, most of the time.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Mag launchers the safest and best pressure weapon.

Charge is easiest to use due to range and is a nice middle ground.

Archer is for nuking fools real hard.

Honestly the sidewinders the only one I don't really use.

• Options
    I use the sidewinder until I unlock the mag launcher. It's alright for finishing off a Titan.

• Options
    Mag is definitely the easiest, though I've gotten many more kills using the archer. I've maxed the archer every regen so far.

• Options
    Wraith260 wrote: »

you know that the improved matchmaking has only been rolled into Attrition and Hardpoint right? the other modes should still be using the old system. not sure how variety pack works though. i imagine that'll have everything running the old system too.

Yeah... the other modes are using the old one afaik.

Archer is pretty neat, I was surprised since I largely ignored it every regen until I had to use it. Amped archer is beastly.

Since I usually run low/mid-range kits (smgs with run n gun, or stealth), I carry the charge rifle to pop snipers and stuff.

• Options
    Wraith260 wrote: »

Yeah... the other modes are using the old one afaik.

Archer is pretty neat, I was surprised since I largely ignored it every regen until I had to use it. Amped archer is beastly.

Since I usually run low/mid-range kits (smgs with run n gun, or stealth), I carry the charge rifle to pop snipers and stuff.

Smart.

• Options
    Emperor_ZEmperor_Z Registered User regular

Second best anti-titan weapon, IMO, next to the mag launcher. It's easy to aim, has infinite range, it does good damage, you can be hiding while it's charging, and you can hold the charge as long as you want before firing. I also frequently find myself spying pilots while I'm sniping titans and switching my focus to one-shotting them instead.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Emperor_Z wrote: »

Second best anti-titan weapon, IMO, next to the mag launcher. It's easy to aim, has infinite range, it does good damage, you can be hiding while it's charging, and you can hold the charge as long as you want before firing. I also frequently find myself spying pilots while I'm sniping titans and switching my focus to one-shotting them instead.

Clarification: the charge rifle discharges as soon as it's fully charged; however, you can milk the charge by releasing it before it fills all the way then charging it a little again, repeatedly.

ediT: this will give up your position too.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Emperor_ZEmperor_Z Registered User regular

Clarification: the charge rifle discharges as soon as it's fully charged; however, you can milk the charge by releasing it before it fills all the way then charging it a little again, repeatedly.

Oh, the charge rifle reveals you on the minimap the entire time it's charging? I didn't know that part.

• Options
    Charge Rifle is my favorite. OHKO on pilots and super annoying to Titans. If two Titans are fighting I start pegging them with lasers and they go down quick. Plus it's satisfying to vaporize you enemies into dust.

• Options
    edited April 2014

Oh, the charge rifle reveals you on the minimap the entire time it's charging? I didn't know that part.

Not on the minimap, but alert players will see (and hear) the orange glow of the weapon.

tastydonuts on