As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[minecraft] Terrible graphics, terrible OP, awesome game

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    If anyone is playing the Yogscast pack, be aware..I don't know if this a problem specifically with the pack or something by design with Galacticraft in general.

But if you try to place your NASA Workbench and there isn't enough room for it, it wont place..but it will still be consumed. The workbench is deceptive in size to, it needs a 3x3 width and 4 blocks in height to be clear to be placed.

That thing looks amazing. If you are trying to fit it in a smaller space, you are a fool!

Actually, that sucks. I'm sorry :(

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    Speaking of yogscast complete, a question!

What kind of power should i go for first in yogs complete? i mean i guess eventual goal is one of those reactors, but what first? i made a lava generator but then getting lava for that might be tricky, even though you can apparently get something that makes lava?

1Gn4PNI.png
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Heroth wrote: »

What kind of power should i go for first in yogs complete? i mean i guess eventual goal is one of those reactors, but what first? i made a lava generator but then getting lava for that might be tricky, even though you can apparently get something that makes lava?

Well, what I did was build a mekanism heat generator and buried it in lava (generates unlimited, but low output power if you put heat on all sides of it but the power output) and used that to power a pulverizer and a redstone furnace (Not at the same time, pulverize what I need, remove the pulverizer, plonk the furnace and cook the dust) and used that to process yellorium ore to build a 4x4 reactor off the bat.

BigReactors are pretty cheap, mostly just charcoal and glass and yellorium. the 4x4 was my first and only real power supply. Still powering my base, with basic water cooling. Get over 1k rf/t out of it.

Digital Miner on silktouch is a pretty big drain on its output though..

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    If you're not concerned with turning the nether into a cobblestone nightmare, feel free to set up an ender-thermic pump down there leading into an ender tank. Hook up the ender tank on the overworld end to a bunch of lava generators or magmatic dynamos. I believe the dynamos have a higher output but no internal energy storage, while lava generators can basically be used as a mini battery. It's pretty much the standard power source I go for in any modpack until I can get a renewable power source going.

I really wish there were an easier way of getting sulphur though. I'd love to have a base running off pyrotheum, but you need sulphur and it's a pain in the dick to get. You basically have to grind up stuff in a pulverizer and dump/store the primary output hoping for a 10% chance to give you what you're after.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    Magic Crops Blaze farm is the only way I can think of to get semi-reliable sulphur without metallurgy.

• Options
    Actually there's probably a bee that does it. Hmm. I should look into that. A bit annoying that they made it so your bees degrade if you make them work too fast though. I liked running my entire base of a single alveary with ethanol bees in it.

• Options
    breeding bees to produce sulfur will probably take a painfully long time.

• Options
    The mutatron is a handy machine, you should try it some time.

• Options
    Lorahalo wrote: »

So, what you're saying is you are a goddamn drug dealer giving people a taste to get them addicted.

• Options
    I have been using a tree farm, and I'm manually getting logs to charcoal. I may automate this, but shortly I will be on to bigger and better things.

• Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    Yogcast completes only weaknesses are the candy filled nether and no Iguana tweaks for TiCo

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options

So, what you're saying is you are a goddamn drug dealer giving people a taste to get them addicted.

I am in no way, shape, or form responsible for this forums bee addiction. Now if you'll excuse, I have posting history to dispose of.

• Options
    Botznoy wrote: »
    Yogcast completes only weaknesses are the candy filled nether and no Iguana tweaks for TiCo

That's mostly metallurgy and the overabundance of vyroxerexefhrngwhatever ore.

I am in no way, shape, or form responsible for this forums bee addiction. Now if you'll excuse, I have posting history to dispose of.

You are a goddamn dealer and we all know it.

• Options
    Speaking of Metallurgy, it has an amusing bug. For some bizarre reason, all my ores were mistextured/named. I'd mine up some ignatius ore and it would smelt into vyro-poison-shit. It was confusing as fuck. Turns out that updating to Java 8 fixed it. Updating Java fixed my wrong ore names. Fucking weird.

• Options
    I should've added mystcraft.
    Ah well...

• Options
    Mystcraft is great for finding those random ages with oceans of bizarre liquids that are somehow completely stable. How is an endless ocean of liquid enderium not unstable as fuck.

• Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Speaking of Metallurgy, it has an amusing bug. For some bizarre reason, all my ores were mistextured/named. I'd mine up some ignatius ore and it would smelt into vyro-poison-shit. It was confusing as fuck. Turns out that updating to Java 8 fixed it. Updating Java fixed my wrong ore names. Fucking weird.
    MInecraft is built against Java 6 and also works well with Java 7.
    But reportedly Minecraft multiplayer really doesn't like the changes made to network handling in Java 8.
    If things start breaking and you can't find the reason why, try reverting back to Java 7.

AkimboEG on
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    lirelentlirelent Registered User regular
    I had the same issue when I tried to upgrade to 7 awhile back, all the net code imploaded

• Options
    I had no issues before updating to 8, it was fixed when I updated to 8. The only other things I'd read about were people having problems on 8 and reverting to 7, but mine was the opposite.

• Options
    edited July 2014

Well, what I did was build a mekanism heat generator and buried it in lava (generates unlimited, but low output power if you put heat on all sides of it but the power output) and used that to power a pulverizer and a redstone furnace (Not at the same time, pulverize what I need, remove the pulverizer, plonk the furnace and cook the dust) and used that to process yellorium ore to build a 4x4 reactor off the bat.

BigReactors are pretty cheap, mostly just charcoal and glass and yellorium. the 4x4 was my first and only real power supply. Still powering my base, with basic water cooling. Get over 1k rf/t out of it.

I ended up going with this, putting the final touches on it now...

Another question though, i saw in NEI that there are 'forge microblocks' but i can't make them. at all. can't make the saw or anything, they don't even show up in creative searches... any idea whats going on with that?

I was hoping to use them for the covers to hide pipes...

edit: Also it'd be super swell if you could disable Angmallen... man what a waste of iron/gold...

Heroth on
    1Gn4PNI.png
  • Options
    So I started messing around with blood magic, and I'm not overwhelmingly impressed with it. Partly because I'm a terrible person? I dunno. I haven't watched all of the second video, or all of the 3rd direwolf video.
    Does it get better? Because it seems like a giant pain in the ass.

Maybe I'll just move over to the other magic one.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Blood magic has a few cool things. But nothing great or useful. Its a lot of tedium especially on/in a server

Botznoy on
    IZF2byN.jpg

• Options
    lirelentlirelent Registered User regular
    you can automate it with a well of suffering and cursed earth, so it's a bit less annoying. It still doesn't really have a ton of content yet though.

• Options
    Yeah, I had a few ideas to automate, but...like for what purpose? Ya know?

Still though, nice to have a better understanding of things and stuffs.

• Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    Blood Magic is highly useful as a solo mod, less so in a modpack.
    Still, there's some nice things you can do with it.
    Sigil of Air is easy early-game psuedo-flight.
    Sigil of the Fast Miner and Sigil of the Green Grove are also early-game and useful. Green Grove is fairly OP, actually.
    Sigil of the Dome is late-game, but super fucking awesome.

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    Yeah, I think everything was just kind of meh compared to what else I could be doing with my time. Like making power armor and going to spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaccccccccccccceeeeeeeeeeee.
    Oh my god.
    I'm going to build a mansion on the moon.

• Options
    edited July 2014

Another question though, i saw in NEI that there are 'forge microblocks' but i can't make them. at all. can't make the saw or anything, they don't even show up in creative searches... any idea whats going on with that?

edit: Also it'd be super swell if you could disable Angmallen... man what a waste of iron/gold...

@Heroth‌

Look up the saw, I would suggest the diamond cause its the only one that can cut anything. Then you put the saw and the block in a crafting grid. Saw on top to make slabs/panels/covers. saw on the side to make pillars.

Also don't use the smeltery to process ores once you have any sort of power capacity. Thermal Expansion Pulverizer and the redstone/induction furnace are infinitely superior because the pulverizer produces bonus resources from grinding most ores and wont accidentally alloy them

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited August 2014

@Heroth‌

Look up the saw, I would suggest the diamond cause its the only one that can cut anything. Then you put the saw and the block in a crafting grid. Saw on top to make slabs/panels/covers. saw on the side to make pillars.

Also don't use the smeltery to process ores once you have any sort of power capacity. Thermal Expansion Pulverizer and the redstone/induction furnace are infinitely superior because the pulverizer produces bonus resources from grinding most ores and wont accidentally alloy them

Yeah, i tried to make the saws and none of them worked... maybe my modpack got screwed up somehow... i can't see it listed in the mod list, but the microblocks show up in-game under NEI...

Edit: Got it working! all the recipes for saws that i could find online where wrong and the ones in-game looked almost identical to a saw from 'project red exploration' which didn't seem to do anything... hazzuh!

And good idea on the pulverizer/others... i guess i'll keep the smelter around though, if for nothing else than looks...

Heroth on
    1Gn4PNI.png
  • Options
    Big Reactors.

Boy howdy they're pretty great.

IZF2byN.jpg

• Options
    Big Reactors.

Seriously... thanks to @buttcleft i made one (a 5x5) and went upstairs for like, 5mins doing other shit and it was full when i went back to check on it... so i had to shut it off until i could build a bunch of energy cubes... and that was only on like, six or seven? bars of yellorium.

1Gn4PNI.png
  • Options
    Big Reactors.

Seriously... thanks to @buttcleft i made one (a 5x5) and went upstairs for like, 5mins doing other shit and it was full when i went back to check on it... so i had to shut it off until i could build a bunch of energy cubes... and that was only on like, six or seven? bars of yellorium.

I got a 4x4 one that is over producing by a mile so I've got the two fuel rods running at like 50 and seventy.

However if I want to run a digital miner its gonna need to be bigger

Also redstone is much better than water

IZF2byN.jpg

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Cryotheum erry day

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Big Reactors.

I got a 4x4 one that is over producing by a mile so I've got the two fuel rods running at like 50 and seventy.

However if I want to run a digital miner its gonna need to be bigger

Also redstone is much better than water

I have a 4x4 with water cooling that's powering my entire base, including a digital miner on silk touch (Silk touch consumes insanely more power) and its internal power buffer stays full.

I also had to build a bunch of barrels just to hold the ridiculous numbers of some ores like Redstone Ore, Sulfur, Topaz, Coal..

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    I may have to get into this reactor thing.

• Options
    Bloody JackBloody Jack Registered User regular
    You know the way for excessive power are big reactor turbines! Or heated redstone generators :P

• Options
    heated redstone generators, block for block, are far more powerful than bigreactor reactors.

Buut..the bigreactor reactor is easy to make, even very very early, and its fuel is very easy to come by.

Its a great jumping off point.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    heated redstone generators, block for block, are far more powerful than bigreactor reactors.

Buut..the bigreactor reactor is easy to make, even very very early, and its fuel is very easy to come by.

Its a great jumping off point.

Plus they look so darn cool, and are fun to use.

You can also use RedNet to make them self-regulating very easily.

• Options
    I don't bother regulating my bigreactor.

I just leave it on all the time, at least until my digital miners done. It still has like 12000 ore blocks to pull up before its done, though.

Then I'll probably move it to the nether and, again, run it on silktouch. Or maybe TF near a huge hollow hill.

• Options
    Take it to the Deep Dark, place has minerals coming out its asshole.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Take it to the Deep Dark, place has minerals coming out its asshole.

Yeah but it doesn't have Nether Quartz or Mithril.

Well, I don't know if it doesn't have Mithril..I don't know how Metallurgy works in the Deep Dark, if it works at all.

Buttcleft on