As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[minecraft] Terrible graphics, terrible OP, awesome game

RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
edited April 2014 in Games and Technology
Thanks to Kris_xK, Ein, Vic, Jerick, DeShadowC, Empirical, and AkimboEG for the previous OP's

1010842689_DYj3P-L.jpg
1015419613_NYok6-L.jpg

What is Minecraft?
First and foremost, Minecraft is a game about placing and breaking blocks. Some blocks break easy, others are hard. To make your life easier, you might want to craft an axe to fell trees with, or a pickaxe for mining stone and ores. When night falls, out come the things that go bump. To protect yourself from zombies, skeletons, spiders, Endermen and exploding green wangs, you'll build a small house from wood and stone and use your ores to smelt ingots of iron and gold with which to craft a suit of armor and a sword. All this building and mining and fighting can make a person hungry, so you'll probably cultivate a small piece of land to grow some wheat and vegetables. Maybe build a pen with a few sheep, chickens and cows for wool, eggs and milk.

Now, a fair warning. By this point it will probably be too late to save yourself. You'll face a slippery slope from that first small cobblestone house and two cows to the eventual Flying Castle of Doom, complete with lava moats, automated mob grinders,Turing complete redstone computer, piston-powered castle gates, NPC villager housing, a Spleef arena, a Batman-themed rollercoaster, a 1:1 scale model of the Eiffel tower, and a treasure room filled to the brim with diamonds, emeralds and a single dragon egg.

Who Made Minecraft?

Development of Minecraft started back in 2009 by Markus "Notch" Persson who was inspired by the then recently-discontinued Infiminier, a small game about placing and removing blocks made by Zachtronic Industries (of Spacechem fame). Minecraft started very similar to the original Infiniminer, but with time more and more features were added. First came multiplayer. Then a survival mode with tools, health and enemies. And eventually infinite* worlds. Minecraft grew to insane popularity and allowed Notch to form his own gaming company - Mojang Studios. These days, lead development of Minecraft is headed by Jens "Jeb" Bergensten. New features are still being added, with built-in Twitch integration coming next.

*Well, infinite enough. 9,258,235 times the surface of the Earth.

How can I play it?
Minecraft is primarily a PC game. A console version is available for the Xbox 360, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita. A pocket edition is available for iOS and Android devices. There's even a version of the game for the Raspberry Pi. The console and pocket editions of the game do not feature all the content found in the PC version, but more and more is being ported over with each new update. All versions (sans Raspberry Pi) feature multiplayer.

Modded Minecraft:
Tired of the regular minecraft experience? Neither are we! But we do sometimes want to have machines help build, or have access to more blocks, or spaceships, or magic, or have bees crap out diamonds.
Both of these are self contained launchers that give you access to different flavors of packs. They will auto update and manage the process of helping you mod your minecraft play experience with little effort.
Feed the beast
Tekkit

PUBLIC PA Servers

Frankenbeast pack: pa-moskau.net
Dynamic map!
Instructions for the pack will be posted NOW!

Nations at War
http://nationsatwar.org/
Currently in between seasons, preparing for Season 3. PAers need not go through application process, just see @Empirical.

SE++ server: go check out their thread.

Nations at War
http://nationsatwar.org/
Currently in between seasons, preparing for Season 3. PAers need not go through application process, just see @Empirical.

The Underdark: Is no longer active and has gone done.
Download link for third UD and @ArcSyn map: http://titanium.dickite.com/minecraft/
@Bele was kind enough to scrounge up clean versions of some of the later caves that were added and toss them into the CleanUD, not all of them are there sadly but several are.
Download link for the last/fourth UD: http://titanium.dickite.com/minecraft/UNDERDARK.zip

IF YOU HAVE A SERVER AND WANT IT TO BE ADDED TO THE LIST, FEEL FREE TO PM ME.

PSN: jfrofl
Radiation on
Cloverette

• Bloody JackBloody Jack Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Hay wut is this thread about?

...continuing from the last one, sulfur is also an occasional byproduct of smelting nether rack with soul sand to make netherbricks, or from pulverizing nether ores, but the latter are a pain to get a reliably, and the former also has the problem of excessive by products. The railcraft sulfur is incompatible so that's out too. Is there any other source of good sulfur that anyone knows about?

Bloody Jack on
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Also, server seems to be down. Didn't come back up after automatic reset.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Hay wut is this thread about?

...continuing from the last one, sulfur is also an occasional byproduct of smelting nether rack with soul sand to make netherbricks, or from pulverizing nether ores, but the latter are a pain to get a reliably, and the former also has the problem of excessive by products. The railcraft sulfur is incompatible so that's out too. Is there any other source of good sulfur that anyone knows about?

From what I looked at it's either grinding up blaze rods/coal (you need coal dust for pyrotheum anyway) at a very low rate, or breeding up some bees that sometimes give you some. There's no real way to get it fast without lots of by products clogging everything up.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    @Takel server is.. broken?

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Awww god dammit. Tile error. Going to be a little while for me to download the server files and remove the offending tile

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
    Ok, surgical precision in removing the bad block has failed. I'm attempting to use a more... blunt instrument in recovering the world.

Are we taking odds as to who's base Takel is going to fist?

IZF2byN.jpg

• HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    No fisting my island!

...I hope.

Given that I've got no machines now.

edited April 2014
    Just took a full backup of the world files and I'm transferring them to my computer to take a look at the complete set. I was attempting to work on the region indicated by the crash logs, but it appears that is completely and utterly wrong. Disabling the offending mod also failed so I'm rolling back the world to the previous backup to see if that loads. If it does, I'll see if I can somehow effect changes in the world files that I'm grabbing to make it work. Otherwise, I'm going to have to roll back a day and contemplate increasing the frequency of the backups, since it appears to have very little effect on the server performance when it runs.

Edit:
    Server is back up using a restored world. Apologies for the rolled back world. Whoever put down a bet for 'Everyone' in regards to who's base will get fisted, wins. But hey, I lost my to be established farm terraforming...

The mod that caused this round of server interruptions is: EnderStorage! It was causing an exception while evaluating a block type in the world, hence preventing the world from loading. The referenced block in the crash logs was an air block way off in a place no-one has established a presence in, so that really confuses me. The problem could not be addressed by doing the mod disable trick to try to clear all the blocks since EnderStorage overwrites the standard EnderChest (I think) and attempting to clear the enderstorage data didn't work as well.

Server backups will be increased in frequency to around 1 every 6 hours. Backups should only take about 1min to complete and there will be announced warnings when they occur

Takel on
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    So I lost huge amounts of progress because of this setback..including my Deep Dark portal, Ender Quarry, and an mind numbing amount of rotarycraft stuff.

So I'm abandoning my house building a floating house somewhere else, over ocean, and probably go into mariculture.

• EmpiricalEmpirical USARegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Mind tossing the bit about NAW back in the OP? We're not dead, just busy as shit.

Empirical on
    Poop nuggets.
  • HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    I shudder to think what would happen if N@W and FTB had a lovechild.

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xPDdoQP6yc

Yep, ME Refrigerator, here we come.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    Just become like me where a paralysing lack of knowledge about mods renders me incapable of insane progression so i just make farms and live the simple life of extreme resource wastefulness and poorly designed compounds

IZF2byN.jpg

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    And bees.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    Huggles wrote: »
    I shudder to think what would happen if N@W and FTB had a lovechild.

You wouldn't use FTB. You'll use a pack that contains ICBMs and turn the cold war into a hot one

There's a pack for that! Looks kinda CoD-y though.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Even the old Voltz pack would work for that. The best weapon was definitely the rejuvenation missiles. They didn't just destroy the base, they returned it to the pristine natural state that the world spawned in. I aint even gonna destroy the ground, just the part that your base occupies.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
    Don't come anywhere near my compound. May or may not have summoned the entmoot!

IZF2byN.jpg

I don't know if I'd want to play on a server with ICBMs and stuff.

One day I might just get tired of losing everything time and time again and decide that the world has to suffer with me.

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Botznoy wrote: »

Are you in need of assistance? I'll be on in about 2 hours.

So I just discovered...I don't know if its a bug or what.

But if you use chisel on glowstone blocks, then break those glowstone blocks..the resulting glowstone gets gummed up with metadata that means they cant be crafted back into glowsotne blocks.

and the unifier wont clear it.

Botznoy wrote: »

This is what happens when you take axes to the trees.
    Everyone: Keep in mind that ents will have a chance to be spawned if you chop down witchery trees. Ents are a 200HP large mob with a similar attack style to Iron Golems (throw you up into the air)

Sounds like a job for someone running around carrying a firestone :P

I may or may not have (on top of the Entmoot) cast Voodoo magics on Radi

IZF2byN.jpg

edited April 2014
    Ok, minor server configuration changes:
    Server restarts have been pushed back to once a day at 0:10 server time, which is 04:10UTC
    Backups have been increased to every 3 hours starting at 0:00, and each backup takes approximately 2 minutes where there will be some performance hit.
    These backups are retained for 3 days before being automagically culled by the backup tool. Given the teeth gnashing at a one day rollback, a 3 day rollback would result in riots.

Takel on
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Don't forget the wailing!

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    Food poisoning kept me up most the night..so I spent the time I wasn't clutching the toilet playing with big reactors in creative in single player.

I take back all the criticism I had for it, you just need to build BIG to get awesome power.

@Takel can we upgrade to the new version of Big Reactors sometime in the future? There have been some big changes :P

@Bloody Jack‌ NOOO

I built a 9x9x9 reactor and I don't want to deal with new mechanics! :(

@Takel is there an easy way you could enable magic crops uranium seeds and make them make rotarycraft pitchblend instead of ic2 uranium?

Also, open call..I put 10 bioreactors and 10 biofuel generators in the ender share, free to whoever wants them. My power plans changed with my big reactor.

@Buttcleft but the newer version of Big Reactors lets you get moar power! And even more on top of that if you build even bigger turbines to go with your big reactor!

but I don't want turbines. the reactor fits perfectly where it is and I don't have room in my plans for a big turbine. WHy cant it just magically produce rf D:

@Takel can we upgrade to the new version of Big Reactors sometime in the future? There have been some big changes :P
    Planning on a round of updates this week
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    @Takel is there an easy way you could enable magic crops uranium seeds and make them make rotarycraft pitchblend instead of ic2 uranium?
    Not going to be possible. Looks like the Uranium seeds are hardcoded to enable only if IC2 is installed. Probably better off creating a vending block to trade in some other essence for stuff.

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Can marble seeds be a thing. That would be awesome!
    Or a vendor thing?
    I'm not out, but I am running low :/

I might have some marble in my me net you can grab if you want also you might want to take your voodoo doll.

IZF2byN.jpg

I think theres marble in my me net to.

I know I gave you a bunch, then the rollback put it back in my ME net. but I don't remember if I gave it back to you the second time.

Yeah I seem to get plenty of marble from my quarry all the time too.

Well, with Magical Crops, there's precedent to use the essences to craft other blocks and items. Kinda like a multi-aspected UU-matter. The nice thing is that there's the elemental essences, which some have been abusing for lava, so using those along with other essences means there's a lot of combinations to be had for 'adding' other recipes.

Now, slight problem with that: Scale
    The essences were designed to be smaller units with large numbers of them equalling one item, which then places a feasible limit to how high you can 'price' an item. Since I don't have the ability to create intermediary items, that means the recipes may end up being a little unorthodox or have some sort of out-of-place 'cost sink'.
    The boring option would be to use Vending Blocks and have a mono item recipe

edited April 2014
    I discovered how to use a Magnetostatic Engine to run a rotarycraft extractor off redstone flux power.

Magnetostatic Engine at max speed into a CVT set on a 4 ratio on a speed setting into a bevel gear into the bottom of the extractor. This provides enough torque and speed to run all 4 extractor steps.

I cant figure out how much RF it uses, but considering its letting you get up to a 5x multiplier on ore is well worth it over the tired and overused ore doubling of any other method :p

Buttcleft on
    Which is only going to lead to power creep IMHO. There's almost been a "gentleman's agreement" when it comes to ore multiplication as anyone jumping ahead of the pack of 2x with some tiny extras will just lead to an arms race and the so called balance being thrown out the window, especially if GT is involved. Factorisation's chain skirted that by tacking on a hard-to-automate system to it as well as a large time requirement that necessitated scaling out, but still only provided 3x.