As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Who do you test: Animals, or Felons?

PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Animal testing sucks.
It is a cruel, unusual punishment for 50-100 million animals every year.
Animals who are being tested for, lets say, make-up, have their eyes held open by clips while poisonous chemicals are being put into their eyelids. When they begin tearing, we now know that you shouldn't put a certain amount of that chemical into someone's eye.
But the question is, what alternatives do we have?
I had an argument with a friend who believes that, instead of innocent animals, we should test eitherconvicted felons in exchange for reduced prison times, or for lifers/people on death row in order for them to be productive.
I personally think that, no, human life is special, and even though they're felons they shouldn't be forced to do something so inhumane.
What do you guys think?
(First OP, does it suck?)

Picardathon on

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited April 2007
    It's fine - welcome to D&D.

Personally, I find nonconsentual testing or testing on captive populations of people crazily abhorrent. I'm also not really sure how someone who honestly and fundamentally finds animal life of higher or equal moral worth than human life can get along in society.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Animal testing sucks.

The cruelty of animal testing is greatly exaggerated. They don't torture animals needlessly.

Either way, the answer to your question is no:

If animal testing is torturous, we shouldn't do it to prisoners because we don't torture prisoners for lots of very good reasons.
    If animal testing isn't torturous, there's no reason to do it on prisoners instead of animals.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Testing cosmetics on death row inmates to protect rabbits would be... it'd be... words fail me. The image in my head is at the same time hysterical and horribly dystopian.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    I thought we already used military personnel for illicit human trials...

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited April 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    I thought we already used military personnel for illicit human trials...
    That terminal syphilis ain't gonna test itself, The Cat.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I say gather up all the convicted pedophiles, free or imprisoned, and test every godawful thing we can find. You can't rehabilitate a pedophile.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    chasm953 wrote: »
    I say gather up all the convicted pedophiles, free or imprisoned, and test every godawful thing we can find. You can't rehabilitate a pedophile.
    O_o

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    What the hell; cosmetic testing on animals isn't banned in the US?

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    chasm953 wrote: »
    Sir, you have opened a can of worms the size of which you cannot possibly comprehend.

Anyway. Testing on humans, any humans, I would consider a more effective test than testing on animals. If the product is to be USED on humans, TESTING on humans is by definition going to give you more reliable information than testing on animals. But then again... you know. Testing unproven products on humans.

So here's what I'd do. I don't know if this gets done or if so where it gets done, but here goes. The prisoner thing is fine with me, but I think it's a de-facto forcing if the option goes to lifers: you basically tell them that this is their only way to ever get out of prison, what are they gonna say? No? I want there to be as much freedom of refusal as possible. So you start with the prisoners who did more 'minor' crimes and have less time to go until release. They'll have the end in sight anyway whether they get tested or not, so they will feel they have more freedom to say no. And if they wind up fine, you release a less dangerous person over a more dangerous one. If you get refused, okay, that's cool. You go down the line, working your way through the less dangerous prisoners and if everyone tells you no, THEN you resort to the lifers.

Oh, and if the prisoner had victims (say, someone they robbed, or the family of someone they killed), they get told first and they have the right to keep the prisoner from getting the option at all, and make them serve out their sentence as normal.

EDIT: Actually, though, the FIRST thing you do is those newspaper ads. 'We're testing a new product, and we'll pay you about $1,000 if you play guinea pig for us!' Just make sure you have full disclosure of exactly what's being tested before anyone actually tests anything.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    mtvcdm wrote: »
    Oh, and if the prisoner had victims (say, someone they robbed, or the family of someone they killed), they get told first and they have the right to keep the prisoner from getting the option at all, and make them serve out their sentence as normal.
    This whole aspect of "victim rights" wherein the victim gets to decide sentencing conditions and so forth is fucking ridiculous. It's a shitty trend and goes against the whole basis of our justice system.

And also, it's deeply morally dubious to consider imposing a dilemma like "rot in prison or let us shoot you up with AIDS". There's a reason that we don't pay people for kidneys in the developed world.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Its not like you can't test on people. You just have to ask if they want to first, and pay them. The reason this question is so daft is exactly that. Animals are used in preliminary testing, and then humans are generally studied as a followup. Volunteer humans. There's no need for compulsion. If you want to argue for skipping over the animal step, feel free, but don't construct a false choice between animals and people.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    By the way, what about testing drugs for veterinary medicine?

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Irond Will wrote: »
    This whole aspect of "victim rights" wherein the victim gets to decide sentencing conditions and so forth is fucking ridiculous. It's a shitty trend and goes against the whole basis of our justice system.

And also, it's deeply morally dubious to consider imposing a dilemma like "rot in prison or let us shoot you up with AIDS". There's a reason that we don't pay people for kidneys in the developed world.
    Not the same thing. This isn't a case of 'Okay, victims, should he go away for 15 years or 25?'. This is asking them 'Hey, you know that guy that took all your stuff? If we were to use him as a cosmetics guinea pig in exchange for lopping, say, 5 years off his sentence, would you be cool with that?'

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Not the same thing. This isn't a case of 'Okay, victims, should he go away for 15 years or 25?'. This is asking them 'Hey, you know that guy that took all your stuff? If we were to use him as a cosmetics guinea pig in exchange for lopping, say, 5 years off his sentence, would you be cool with that?'
    Why in the world would the victim be a good arbiter of such a decision? I mean - I'm all about restitution where possible, but getting to "get back" at the perpetrator by making decisions about his/ her life is just bad bad bad.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    sparks.jpg

"Why! Why does all the crap we consume have to be tested on animals first? A rabbit doesn't need lipstick! A Rabbit doesn't use hair spray! A monkey doesn't need pills to get revved up for hot monkey sex! It's people man! We're miserable!"

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Why in the world would the victim be a good arbiter of such a decision? I mean - I'm all about restitution where possible, but getting to "get back" at the perpetrator by making decisions about his/ her life is just bad bad bad.
    It's not like the prisoner will be press-ganged into it if the victim says yes, Irond Will. Both victim and prisoner would have to agree to it before anyone tests anything on anyone.

Gosling on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    By the way, what about testing drugs for veterinary medicine?

we test those on rocks

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    It's not like the prisoner will be press-ganged into it if the victim says yes, Irond Will. Both victim and prisoner would have to agree to it before anyone tests anything on anyone.
    But why give the victim any say in this?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    I had an argument with a friend who believes that, instead of innocent animals, we should test eitherconvicted felons in exchange for reduced prison times, or for lifers/people on death row in order for them to be productive.

Tell your friend to eliminate his stupid ass from the gene pool.

ege02 on
  • Options
    kaz67kaz67 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I think it would depend on the crime the person was convicted of. I wouldn't have a problem if prisoners who haven't committed serious crimes got the option of getting out a few weeks earlier if they undergo testing.

kaz67 on
  • Options
    The Moron KingThe Moron King Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I think were all forgetting about an important part of this debate. The animal felons.

The Moron King on
  • Options
    hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Raccoons?

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • Options
    The Moron KingThe Moron King Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Who said anything about raccoons. Just because black people are called coons sometimes? Youre a fucking racist man.

The Moron King on
  • Options
    AcidSerraAcidSerra Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    hambone wrote: »
    Raccoons?

Nah man, it's the weasels you gotta look out for. >.>

AcidSerra on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Victim: "Why sir, does the medicine hurt? What's the chance the guy who burned my house down dies by searing pains?
    Prisoner: "I won't test any medicines that may hurt or make me die by searing pains"
    Victim: "I only let you test medicines on him if there is a fair chance it will make him cry out in pain. "

There is a reason we don't let victims decide on the punishment or the way in which this punishment is handled. The victim is not neutral or is simply too uninformed to properly punish someone else. In your jurisdictional system, you have have a jury of ~20 people and a well-trained judge to decide on this, but when it comes to potentially life-threatening chemical substances, mvtcdm wants one guy to have a say in this?

This is wrong on so many levels.

I never understood why we want to use lipstick and mascara in the first place, but if there is a use for it, I rather have ten cute little rabbits die for it, than one human being. Whether that human set fire to someone's house or is getting paid for it, his or her life is worth a lot more than that of other species. Naturally, we should not throw away the lives of animals and I would be very pleased if we would stop making new formulas for lipstick and only get rabbits killed for testing new medicines.

Aldo on
  • Options
    Squirrel NinjaSquirrel Ninja Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Aldo wrote: »

I never understood why we want to use lipstick and mascara in the first place, but if there is a use for it, I rather have ten cute little rabbits die for it, than one human being. Whether that human set fire to someone's house or is getting paid for it, his or her life is worth a lot more than that of other species. Naturally, we should not throw away the lives of animals and I would be very pleased if we would stop making new formulas for lipstick and only get rabbits killed for testing new medicines.

I agree, I also cant wrap my head around why we have so many charitys for animals when our nation still has so many homeless. I guess most people get more self-satisfaction out of saving a cute little puppy than a homeless person; in the end this debate will go on until society realizes that all human lives are more valuable than animal's.

Squirrel Ninja on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I agree, I also cant wrap my head around why we have so many charitys for animals when our nation still has so many homeless. I guess most people get more self-satisfaction out of saving a cute little puppy than a homeless person; in the end this debate will go on until society realizes that all human lives are more valuable than animal's.
    A little dog or a rabbit can look cute in the camera, a homeless crack-addict can not.

Aldo on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    What if we only used animals who have committed felonies?

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=1308495#post1308495

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=1308495#post1308495

I thought it would sound better coming from someone who is not a moron, let alone their king.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Victim: "Why sir, does the medicine hurt? What's the chance the guy who burned my house down dies by searing pains?
    Prisoner: "I won't test any medicines that may hurt or make me die by searing pains"
    Victim: "I only let you test medicines on him if there is a fair chance it will make him cry out in pain. "

There is a reason we don't let victims decide on the punishment or the way in which this punishment is handled. The victim is not neutral or is simply too uninformed to properly punish someone else.
    ...okay, yeah, point taken.

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

animals are rarely reluctant to accept help, and no-one expects anything back later. People are rather different.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007

animals are rarely reluctant to accept help, and no-one expects anything back later. People are rather different.

Cats are the exception. They're like tiny, furry ninja-people with tails.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

I glady do more for homeless animals than the worthless collection of bums and winos that litter the streets of the city I live in. Domestic animals are helpless; with the exception of the mentally ill, homeless people are just losers who do not deserve to be treated as well as they are. I just wish that it could be made illegal to help the homeless at all, so all the bleeding hearts who keep supporting those filthy beggars would stop and the bums would actually have to get the hell out of my neighborhood and work for a living.

supabeast on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    supabeast wrote: »

I glady do more for homeless animals than the worthless collection of bums and winos that litter the streets of the city I live in. Domestic animals are helpless; with the exception of the mentally ill, homeless people are just losers who do not deserve to be treated as well as they are. I just wish that it could be made illegal to help the homeless at all, so all the bleeding hearts who keep supporting those filthy beggars would stop and the bums would actually have to get the hell out of my neighborhood and work for a living.

And I want to stab people like you for a hobby, but I don't spew this kind of shit all over the forum. Seriously, knock it off. no-one thinks you're a tough guy for hating on the broken.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I hope to God you are but joking.

No, wait, aren't you the same guy who wants to shoot everyone pissing in your garden through the kneecaps?

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I hope to God you are but joking.

No, wait, aren't you the same guy who want to shoot everyone pissing in your garden through the kneecaps?

He wants to test drugs on pedos too, and then presumably send them to the gas chambers. Which leads me to the inevitable conclusion that we're talking to a mildly overweight average-height, average-IQ, middle class white male, who's never gone without a day in his life and is posting from an internet connection paid for by someone else. And yet, he persists in the belief that he's the reincarnation of Thor and could rule the world any time he decided to.

These guys are fun, so long as they stay away from semi-automatics and shopping malls.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Are new and improved body and hair products used to boost some company's products really worth torturing prisoners and letting them out of jail early?

I mean, I was in favor of letting prisoners out early for donating an organ - but organs are actually necessary.

Frankly I don't understand the hierarchy of animal rights values being proposed here. We kill millions of animals every year for delicious snacks but woah - woah - medical testing? We'd better do that to people.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Shinto wrote: »
    Are new and improved body and hair products used to boost some company's products really worth torturing prisoners and letting them out of jail early?

I mean, I was in favor of letting prisoners out early for donating an organ - but organs are actually necessary.
    Alternatively, are new and improved body and hair products used to boost some company's products really worth torturing animals for?

But this somewhat offtopic, no?

Aldo on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Shinto wrote: »

Alternatively, are new and improved body and hair products used to boost some company's products really worth torturing animals for?

But this somewhat offtopic, no?

It doesn't seem particularly off topic to me.

Society seems pretty cool with companies killing and selling animals for food.

Shinto on