Options

[SWTOR] Outfit designer is out now. Playable Togruta coming on 3.3, late July.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    They're still out there. There's a scout pack that has a full set of armor, but I only wanted the head piece (it's the ear piece/boom mic combo).

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    Unlucky wrote: »
    Edit: On topic, any way to get regular storage for Strongholds? Or is it just Legacy?

If you check with the utility decoration (?) vendor on fleet, next to the three droids, you'll see they carry Cargo Bays, as well as Guild Banks.
    But you'll have to trade Universal Prefabs for them (MK-2 I think for the cargo hold).

GB next to Legacy Storage, Next to Cargo Bay, next to mailbox, in front of GTN with three Jawas and three droids close by is pure bliss.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Nobody will be on fleet anymore

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Nobody will be on fleet anymore

Correction; rich people with OCD will no longer be on the fleet.

488W936.png
  • Options
    Or people with rich guilds.

• Options

Aren't the guild ships still on fleet chat? (Honest question. I've been on our guild ship twice on the live server.)

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular

Aren't the guild ships still on fleet chat? (Honest question. I've been on our guild ship twice on the live server.)

Not that I recall, but strongholds still pick up planetary chat.

• Options

Now that you mention it, I think you're right that guild ships end up on fleet chat.

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited August 2014

Now that you mention it, I think you're right that guild ships end up on fleet chat.

I've only been on them the first day, but at least then, guild ships had the chat of wherever they were parked. They start at the fleet, so you have fleet chat. When we moved the ship, fleet chat went away.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    kmzkmz Registered User regular
    Our guild ship is parked on Alderaan but chat is Republic Fleet.

Thinking about it now, I probably should hang out on the guild ship more often than my stronghold... I really don't care about Nar Shaddaa/Tatooine chat. Fleet chat at least has occasional interesting LFG/LFMs.

• Options
    Guild ship has a GTN terminal. I don't have one yet.

Guild ship wins!

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    So I'm really enjoying my time back. Lv 16 Jedi Guardian I think, tank specc'd.

Tried to run Hammer Station, but I swear, no one ever uses a heal at low levels. Even when asked, they just let you die.

One question I do have, is how does threat generation work in this game? I'm sure it gets better the higher level you get, but I'm having a little trouble holding hate.

So far, I'm using the Shi sho or whatever form that generates 100% more hate. Jumping into groups first, etc. Now the thing I'm finding difficult is that most mobs are ranged in the game so far and don't group up to attack, combined with me not having any aoe abilities, save one and it's not spammable or all that effective.

Do I just focus on the highest rank enemy and try to hold them or am I supposed to bounce around and gather on everyone?

Every time I try to do that, someone pulls hate away from me. I just got taunt, but reading its description it doesn't seem like the answer to my current problem.

Just want to be a good tank, so any tips are appreciated!

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    In general you should try to hold aggro on as many of the hardest hitting enemies as you can. It's the DPS's job to kill off the weaker ones fast at the start. Trying to hold aggro on an entire group is generally not very easily doable, nor necessary if the DPS are doing their jobs.

Also, at your level you're still missing a lot of key abilities for tanking, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. There's also a good chance the other players are alts with optimized gear passed from other toons.

kmz on
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Also healing Hammer Station is a total pain in the ass as I think you still only have one heal at that level.

• Options
    Does the droid do the debuff thingy in storymode? Do healers even have a cleanse then?

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    kmz wrote: »
    In general you should try to hold aggro on as many of the hardest hitting enemies as you can. It's the DPS's job to kill off the weaker ones fast at the start. Trying to hold aggro on an entire group is generally not very easily doable, nor necessary if the DPS are doing their jobs.

Also, at your level you're still missing a lot of key abilities for tanking, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. There's also a good chance the other players are alts with optimized gear passed from other toons.

Cool, thanks for the tips. My main game is FFXIV and tanking seems to work a lot different in that game, which I'm comfortable with.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    Does the droid do the debuff thingy in storymode? Do healers even have a cleanse then?

No to both, I think cleanse is like low to mid 20s.

• Options
    This week's Conquest is 'Clash in Hyperspace'
    And all planets get Starfighter bonuses. (Don't trust the Dulfy guide.)

• Options
    Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Grove wrote: »

Cool, thanks for the tips. My main game is FFXIV and tanking seems to work a lot different in that game, which I'm comfortable with.

Yeah, welcome to JC tanking. Make sure to use your guard on someone. Usually your healer. I tend to leap in and aoe and get some cyclone slashes off. Run around a bit or use taunt to get some other guys focused on you.

One of the biggest pains is the idea that the tank stance pretty much focus starves you early game. Which I never understood why. I honestly don't think Slash is on any rotation for a JC. It's just a focus eater with no real benefit.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • Options

Yeah, welcome to JC tanking. Make sure to use your guard on someone. Usually your healer. I tend to leap in and aoe and get some cyclone slashes off. Run around a bit or use taunt to get some other guys focused on you.

One of the biggest pains is the idea that the tank stance pretty much focus starves you early game. Which I never understood why. I honestly don't think Slash is on any rotation for a JC. It's just a focus eater with no real benefit.

Guarding the healer is usually pretty useless, I'm pretty sure the threat generated by a heal is divided amongst the enemies you're currently fighting, but beyond that the dps will be doing more damage than the healer will be healing.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »

Guarding the healer is usually pretty useless, I'm pretty sure the threat generated by a heal is divided amongst the enemies you're currently fighting, but beyond that the dps will be doing more damage than the healer will be healing.

Generally speaking if threat reduction is what you're looking for then yeah, there's no point in putting the guard on the healers, it's more efficacious to put it on DPS. There are times to put it on the healer, though, but those involve damage reduction. It's only 5% damage reduction in PVE, but there are times when every little bit helps. For FPs though, guard on DPS only.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    The problem comes when DPS isn't off-tanking and the healer starts getting hit--especially when there are adds in a boss fight.

cue "pubs are awful"

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    The problem comes when DPS isn't off-tanking and the healer starts getting hit--especially when there are adds in a boss fight.

cue "pubs are awful"

The problem is that guard doesn't help with that. If no one is hitting a mob, it's going to go to the healer regardless of a guard.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Yep.

• Options
    Starting to figure out the Tactics/Advanced Prototype tree. If Assault/Pyrotech is "find something that's not on fire and solve the problem", Tactics is "yo dawg we herd u liek procs dawg".

• Options
    Neat little trick I just picked up on--if you teleport to your stronghold and then exit to your ship, your ship remained in orbit over whatever planet you were on.

Also it seems I was wrong about the planet intros, in that they're not all done up in the new Galactic Starfighter style. After Makeb, Oricon, and the fleets, they've since done the capitals, Nar Shaddaa, and Tatooine, and of course Manaan started out in high fashion (as it were), but not the starter planets, Balmorra, Taris, Alderaan, Quesh, Hoth, Belsavis, Voss, Corellia, Ilum, or CZ-198.

Still. Progress!

• Options
    Cambiata wrote: »

cue "pubs are awful"

The problem is that guard doesn't help with that. If no one is hitting a mob, it's going to go to the healer regardless of a guard.

Ohh? I suggested guarding the healer for just that purpose, sending any threat they build your way. I mostly PVP, so if my guard is on, I'm using it on whoever needs it at any give time.

You could or maybe should be guarding the person in your party doing the most AOE damage.

• Options
    Cambiata wrote: »

cue "pubs are awful"

Ohh? I suggested guarding the healer for just that purpose, sending any threat they build your way. I mostly PVP, so if my guard is on, I'm using it on whoever needs it at any give time.

You could or maybe should be guarding the person in your party doing the most AOE damage.

Guard doesn't redirect threat. It's a straight % threat reduction on the person guarded, but again if no one else is building threat against a mob (by attacking it), then only the healer will be building threat: since heal threat is not aimed at any specific mob, the healer's threat applies equally to all of them, whereas everyone else can only build threat by attacking. Even a taunt doesn't build threat if you don't attack as well.

Guard in PVP is the only case where something is redirected to the person guarding - but in that case it's not threat redirected, but 50% of the damage. It doesn't do anything as massive in PVE however.

I've heard arguments for putting guard on a healer to make it "easier" for DPS to pull mobs off the healer, but honestly the best defense is for tank and dps to attack the mobs as soon as they are aggro'd, so that the healer can never build more threat than the dps. With the way threat works in the game, the longer someone has top threat, the harder it is to pull off them. Unless they simply stop generating threat, but it's not practicable for a healer to stop healing.

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    I'm leveling a commando healer right now. I just take it for granted that I'm going to be tanking and/or killing all the regular adds myself. Generally my CC abilities will go to silvers that everyone in the party is ignoring while they blast away at me.

It kind of surprises me that even though the game has been out for a long time, it just seems like no one bothered to actually learn the mechanics. If the tank uses guard at all in a flashpoint, it's going on me (the healer) which is about the worst place for it. The dps always jumps to the highest health target first, instead of the lowest. No one uses their incredibly short cooldown stuns to pause loose mobs.

I could understand it when the game first started. I used to try to point these things out and be helpful, but at this point, I figure you've either got it figured out or you don't. It's strange that it seems like people want the game mechanics to be a certain way, and so they just keep doing things along with those wrong notions. It's an interesting facet of game development, I think.

What do you do when your player base just really wants to use abilities wrong and confront challenges exactly backwards?

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Derrick wrote: »
    What do you do when your player base just really wants to use abilities wrong and confront challenges exactly backwards?

Nerf the bad guys to keep your lowest common denominators happy?

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    Yeah it's pretty amazing. The game is pretty easy. The only challenging thing I see is the powerful moves some mobs get that you need to interrupt. Lot of people just keep getting hit by Aimed Shot. People should be learning to look for it and interrupt it. The issue I have often is that I have interrupts that don't put that ability on cool down. So it's use those 1min cool downs to delay long enough for my real interrupt or take the hit. I get a 4 second interrupt, after 4 seconds that guy is using the ability again.

For people attacking highest HP targets; if you have DoTs and want to feel like you're doing damage you want the DoTs to tick multiple times. Sometimes attacking shit with low hp literally feels dumb. Attacking anything not elite at <30 hp feels like wasting your abilities.

• Options
    Yeah, I'm constantly surprised for a game that's pretty stagnant population wise pipe still don't know how to deal with a lot of the ways mobs work.

As much as I like how short Colicoid Games is it never ceases to bug me that people don't interrupt Simulation Mode (which makes the robots invulnerable for a while as they continue doing damage). I bring it up every time I run the instance am never listened to :(

• Options
    I think as far as FPs go, you actually only ever see brand new players there, not the 'stagnant' population. Or at least, you rarely get a group of 4 where all 4 are vets of the game. I think vets of the game are getting their comms in other ways.

With the conquest stuff though, you're going to see a lot more vets in flashpoints I think. At least at the start.

• Options
    I still have no idea what's up with the conquest stuff. What does it do and how do you do it?

• Options
    I still have no idea what's up with the conquest stuff. What does it do and how do you do it?

If you look at your mission log, it's been arranged in tabs, with a new tab "Conquest" along with the regular missions, lockouts, and codex entries. Conquest shows you what missions you can do for points which if you get the 35k points for the week gets you personal items for yourself (some cash and some strongholds stuff). But your guild can't get on a leaderboard if the guildship isn't parked at one of the planets on the conquest list.

The conquest missions are widely varied - you can get 500 points each just for crafting certain items. Right now there's conquest points for running random FPs, and also for killing the bonus bosses in specific FPs. There's conquest points for PVP as well and galactic starfighter, and points for running heroics on specific planets. Those are just the missions for this week. Last week had pvp points but nothing for starfighter, for example. The missions change every week and seem to have a 'rest day' on monday.

Since a lot of level 50 FPs are on the list this week, it's easy to get a pop on the level 50 groupfinder where normally it's pretty difficult.

• Options
    The great thing is that with the conquest stuff, I've more frequently been in groups where all four people know exactly what they are doing, and everything gets facerolled hilariously. Like if I'm tanking, the DPS has killed the mobs before I have a chance to even get in the same room.

• Options
    I'll try to check that out, I'm still leveling my trooper (level 44ish, just got to Nar Shadaa) but I think I'm kind of done with her. Definitely some strong desire to be a smuggler as I prefer healing on them, but eh.

I take it the conquest stuff isn't endgame only right?

• Options
    I'll try to check that out, I'm still leveling my trooper (level 44ish, just got to Nar Shadaa) but I think I'm kind of done with her. Definitely some strong desire to be a smuggler as I prefer healing on them, but eh.

I take it the conquest stuff isn't endgame only right?

At least some of the conquest missions can be done before 55, yeah.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    So after the cool down timer is over, I'm gonna throw in a GTN kiosk into the imp side guild bank.

And my pub side house is looking nice.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    AcharenusAcharenus Registered User regular
    Got the full mail box/gtn/bank/legacy settup at my nar shad stronghold for all my toons. There's a lot of bile to be had in fleet...across all channels. It's nice to not hang out there.

Just need a daily quest box added to the game and I'd never go back.