As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Virtual Reality]RE Vive this Holiday Season with Valve/HTC's VR!

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I need to see some hard CV1 specs for the Rift and Vive, their input methods, and their retail prices before I can make a decision. The Vive releasing earlier definitely puts the ball in their court, though.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Once the software is in place, it's not much worse than something like running a laser tag place. I could see that concept really taking off.

For the kind of thing they're promising you'd really need a wireless HMD, though, and most people seem to think that's probably 10 years away.

• Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    The DK2 documentation tells you to not use extension cables, so even a suspended system with players moving around like a bumper cars on ceiling rails wouldn't work.

We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    Bremen wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Once the software is in place, it's not much worse than something like running a laser tag place. I could see that concept really taking off.

For the kind of thing they're promising you'd really need a wireless HMD, though, and most people seem to think that's probably 10 years away.

It might be closer than you think. There's already a few hacked-together, DIY wireless solutions for the Rift (DK1, at least).

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Making it work isn't the issue. Making it work without introducing unacceptable lag and latency is the issue. The wireless hack that I saw a few months ago added something like 50-60ms to the process, which is unacceptable.

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Good news, everyone!

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/05/ubisoft-bringing-its-franchises-to-virtual-reality-early-next-year/
    "We believe a lot in virtual reality because we see that it is really giving a chance for gamers to be more immersed in worlds, and we are developing a certain number of games that are going to take advantage of these new possibilities," Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot said during a Q&A following yesterday's earnings call. "We are working on the different brands we have to see how we can take advantage of those new possibilities, but making sure also we don't suffer from what comes with it, which is the difficulty to play a long time with those games."

A big publisher showing willingness to dip their toe goes a large part towards assuring my main concern about VR; willingness of publishers to devote development time to a new peripheral.

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Ubisoft also committed to publishing for the Wii U early on before it became apparent that unit sales weren't going to be enough to make it worth them investing in make titles for it. They basically did a complete 180.

That said hopefully adding VR support to games they are already going to publish won't be as expensive an investment as targeting a whole new platform.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Ubisoft's damn near the last third-party AAA developer willing to try crazy things anymore. Good on them.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I wonder if early VR support is going to be like the support that motion control games on the Wii initially had? I'm thinking along the lines of stuff like Dead Space: Extraction, where they take some of the assets of a larger experience and use it to make building an experimental project much faster and cheaper. I'm hoping that VR enjoys a little bit more success than motion control, but this might be the way that bigger companies first dip their toes in the water.

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Aside from motion controls being wonky as hell, yea, that's part of the reason for the dev kits. It's so that we can get past the hurdle of 'gimmick' and actually try to do something interesting with the tech. Big companies can't settle for what's already been done, unless its a super polished and responsive use of the tech because the early adopters already put out programs that did that for a year or two now. If they do settle, their profits will reflect that.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    GSM wrote: »
    I wonder if early VR support is going to be like the support that motion control games on the Wii initially had? I'm thinking along the lines of stuff like Dead Space: Extraction, where they take some of the assets of a larger experience and use it to make building an experimental project much faster and cheaper. I'm hoping that VR enjoys a little bit more success than motion control, but this might be the way that bigger companies first dip their toes in the water.

Personally, I wouldn't expect that... the AAA developers have gone absolutely bonkers avoiding risk this gen as development costs on huge games skyrocket, so I'm braced for most of them staying out of VR completely. It's nothing against VR, it's that things have gotten that crazy.

I suspect most of the support for VR will come from smaller studios, indies, new companies and the platform holders.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    The Rift’s Recommended Spec, PC SDK 0.6 Released, and Mobile VR Jam Voting

Recommended specs:

NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD 290 equivalent or greater
    Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater
    8GB+ RAM
    Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output
    2x USB 3.0 ports
    Windows 7 SP1 or newer

“…the Rift runs at 2160×1200 at 90Hz split over dual displays, consuming 233 million pixels per second.”

I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    So, 233 million pixels at 24 bits per pixel is 5.592 billion bits per second or 699 million bytes per second.

Or 700MB/s.

That's some bandwidth.

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    So, 233 million pixels at 24 bits per pixel is 5.592 billion bits per second or 699 million bytes per second.

Or 700MB/s.

That's some bandwidth.

You think? The 970 claims to have a bandwidth of 224 GB/s
    Is there something I'm not getting here?

• Options
    Mayday wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »

Or 700MB/s.

That's some bandwidth.

You think? The 970 claims to have a bandwidth of 224 GB/s
    Is there something I'm not getting here?

I was just saying.

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Oh, alright. I thought I need to reconsider my hardware choices for a second.
    But yeah, the bandwidths these days are crazy.

Mayday on
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    Interesting article/hands-on for the "Void": http://www.roadtovr.com/first-hands-on-the-void-a-mixed-reality-experience-that-blends-real-and-virtual/

I was a bit skeptical from the promo trailer but it seems pretty solid actually. Curious to see what becomes of it.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    That is friggin awesome

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    That sounds cool as fuck, especially the redirected walking. This sort of stuff makes me really fucking excited and I want to try it all right now why isn't it the future yet

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    I want every part of that experience, goddamn

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    From The Void's website;
    Motion Simulators

Partnering with leaders in the entertainment based simulator industry our proprietary custom motion simulators have a two person capacity, are fully interactive and can perform 360 degree motion over 3 axis rotations (roll, pitch and yaw) as well as lift. Unlike most typical motion simulators we will not use screen projection to display our visuals, instead utilizing our Rapture HMD for an unprecedented level of immersion. Our simulators will feature adjustable and swappable control devices providing for a variety of simulation experiences including: aircraft dogfights, ground transport, mech battles, spaceship or submersible exploration and more. Be it a single or multiplayer experience the vehicle and environmental options are endless.

Take my money

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    This just flitted across my timeline, might be worth checking out for those of you with a DK2!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/brendanklinkenberg/the-beautiful-the-rose-and-i-may-be-the-best-argument-for-vi#.kgqwpOKAJ
    Starting today, VR enthiusiasts (read: anyone with access to a developer kit) will be able to download one of the most intriguing projects to surface on the new crop of VR devices.

“The Rose And I” is a touching adaptation of “The Little Prince” from Penrose Studios. Penrose is a virtual reality company founded by Eugene Chung — who formerly helmed Oculus’ Story Studio — with help from artists from Pixar, Dreamworks, and other major animated movie studios and VR companies.

enhanced-8589-1432053538-5.png

Kashaar on
    Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Kashaar wrote: »
    This just flitted across my timeline, might be worth checking out for those of you with a DK2!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/brendanklinkenberg/the-beautiful-the-rose-and-i-may-be-the-best-argument-for-vi#.kgqwpOKAJ
    Starting today, VR enthiusiasts (read: anyone with access to a developer kit) will be able to download one of the most intriguing projects to surface on the new crop of VR devices.

“The Rose And I” is a touching adaptation of “The Little Prince” from Penrose Studios. Penrose is a virtual reality company founded by Eugene Chung — who formerly helmed Oculus’ Story Studio — with help from artists from Pixar, Dreamworks, and other major animated movie studios and VR companies.

enhanced-8589-1432053538-5.png

Well I just found out how I'm going to sell my wife on VR.
    phrasing

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Palmer Luckey is getting sued by a former employer for apparently taking confidential VR techniques with him when he left, or something
    Palmer Luckey and Oculus VR have been hit with a new lawsuit alleging that the co-founder of the virtual reality firm breached a confidentiality agreement with a former employer, which was developing its own VR technology.

The suit, filed by Total Recall Technologies in California court this week, accuses Luckey of taking confidential information he learned while under contract and using it to develop his own device, the Oculus Rift.

According to the suit, TRT contracted Luckey to develop a head-mounted display in 2011 and signed an agreement to keep details of that work confidential. Through 2012, TRT provided Lucky with feedback in order to improve the design of the display, the suit says.

"Without informing [Total Recall Technologies] ... Luckey took the information he learned from the Partnership, as well as the prototype that he built for the TRT using design features and other confidential information and materials supplied by the Partnership, and passed it off to others as his own," the suit says.

Total Recall is seeking unspecified damages from Luckey and Oculus VR.

Last year, Oculus VR was sued by Bethesda Softworks parent company ZeniMax Media, accusing Luckey of misappropriating trade secrets.

Man, it really feels like everyone is trying to get a piece of that pie, which is hilarious given that it looks like they're going to be beaten to the punch on retail VR anyway.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    They sure took their time to assert their ownership.

• Options
    Which kind of leads me to call bullshit.

If they really cared, they would have tried when he first announced the Oculus VR, or even during the point when facebook dropped $200billion on them.

This is a flimsy disguised money grab.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    It's probably bullshit, but law doesn't operate at the speed of light.

The company in question would have had to

-Decide to go looking for this
    -Get their hands on the tech (which was in short supply for a good long while)
    -Reverse engineer it enough to identify if Palmer is in violation of the contract
    -Get a bunch of lawyers together to put together a case

All of those things can take time; especially dending on when they started. I mean, to put a spin on things, one could say if they were being opportunistic here, they'd probably have bitten in after the Facebook acquisition when Occulus was the cock of the walk, not now when there's viable competitor who are going to beat out Occulus to launch.

• Options
    Valid points, but again, they had a lot of time to be proactive about it. You pay attention to your competition and what they are doing.

True, we are game buffs, but someone in the VR field would have known about it back in the kickstarter days when we did. And red flag that it was a former employee in on it as well.

There is nothing wrong with acquiring a devkit and pulling it apart to see how it works or even if it was using tech they had developed. It would be prudent to do so.

TR wants money.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    There's something poetically beautiful about a company called Total Recall pulling a dick move like this. I would honestly be disappointed if the company proved to be reasonable and understanding, instead of viciously greedy.

You just don't put a name like that on a nice company.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Of course they want money. I'm not sure why it is somehow so wrong for them to want money, if it's true what they claim. And them waiting until oculus was a known entity and success story does not automatically mean that their claim is bullshit.

There is little point getting worked up into a frenzy and commencing legal action when oculus was nothing more than a start-up funded by kick starter. Once they saw that they would be able to get a meaningful judgement in their favour and that oculus was big enough to actually be able to pay the judgement, they made their move. I don't see anything wrong with that.

• Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Of course they want money. I'm not sure why it is somehow so wrong for them to want money, if it's true what they claim. And them waiting until oculus was a known entity and success story does not automatically mean that their claim is bullshit.

There is little point getting worked up into a frenzy and commencing legal action when oculus was nothing more than a start-up funded by kick starter. Once they saw that they would be able to get a meaningful judgement in their favour and that oculus was big enough to actually be able to pay the judgement, they made their move. I don't see anything wrong with that.

I think where people's skepticism comes in is that Occulus is as much a known entity/success story NOW as it was when Facebook bought them over a year ago.

• Options

I think where people's skepticism comes in is that Occulus is as much a known entity/success story NOW as it was when Facebook bought them over a year ago.

Which again, goes back to the time it takes to get legal action moving. If they only decided to move ahead with the litigation once Facebook bought Oculus, it could easily have taken a year to get the ball rolling to this point.

Also, we have no idea when they even became aware that their technology was potentially being used in the Rift.

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Why would you even want to pay people to look into it before they've suddenly got access to enough money to keep them from declaring bankruptcy if you sue?

A year from an announcement that they've got all the money makes perfect sense.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    BYToady wrote: »
    Why would you even want to pay people to look into it before they've suddenly got access to enough money to keep them from declaring bankruptcy if you sue?

exactly this. Suing people who don't have money is a pointless exercise.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Palmer Luckey is getting sued by a former employer for apparently taking confidential VR techniques with him when he left, or something
    Palmer Luckey and Oculus VR have been hit with a new lawsuit alleging that the co-founder of the virtual reality firm breached a confidentiality agreement with a former employer, which was developing its own VR technology.

The suit, filed by Total Recall Technologies in California court this week, accuses Luckey of taking confidential information he learned while under contract and using it to develop his own device, the Oculus Rift.

According to the suit, TRT contracted Luckey to develop a head-mounted display in 2011 and signed an agreement to keep details of that work confidential. Through 2012, TRT provided Lucky with feedback in order to improve the design of the display, the suit says.

"Without informing [Total Recall Technologies] ... Luckey took the information he learned from the Partnership, as well as the prototype that he built for the TRT using design features and other confidential information and materials supplied by the Partnership, and passed it off to others as his own," the suit says.

Total Recall is seeking unspecified damages from Luckey and Oculus VR.

Last year, Oculus VR was sued by Bethesda Softworks parent company ZeniMax Media, accusing Luckey of misappropriating trade secrets.

Man, it really feels like everyone is trying to get a piece of that pie, which is hilarious given that it looks like they're going to be beaten to the punch on retail VR anyway.

Having thoroughly watched The Social Network a bunch of times, I'm sure Oculus' owners know a thing or two about fighting this kind of legal battle.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    BYToady wrote: »

exactly this. Suing people who don't have money is a pointless exercise.

Intentionally waiting until the defendant has a fat wallet so you can profit off of litigation is usually seen as an abuse of the system.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    That's why you get the ball rolling while they are poor and hatless, but drag your heels until they amass their towering pillar of hats.

You can point back to when you clearly started your legal work. It's not your fault that your just so slow and incompetent at legal stuff that they got rich before you were done. (or is it?)

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    That's why you get the ball rolling while they are poor and hatless, but drag your heels until they amass their towering pillar of hats.

You can point back to when you clearly started your legal work. It's not your fault that your just so slow and incompetent at legal stuff that they got rich before you were done. (or is it?)

I guess it would depend on how legitimate the heel-dragging is perceived to be by the judge. If TR didn't get the ball rolling by the time the Kickstarter ended, they might have a tough time with it.

• Options

I guess it would depend on how legitimate the heel-dragging is perceived to be by the judge. If TR didn't get the ball rolling by the time the Kickstarter ended, they might have a tough time with it.

It wouldn't be hard to argue that they weren't made aware of the issue until after Facebook got involved.

I think you overestimate how well known Oculus was up until that point.

• Options
    edited May 2015

It wouldn't be hard to argue that they weren't made aware of the issue until after Facebook got involved.

I think you overestimate how well known Oculus was up until that point.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a company developing VR tech to be aware of a former employee's very public project developing his own VR tech. They probably knew about the Kickstarter project within a couple days of it starting.

Nova_C on