As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Internet Dating] Where we do NOT discriminate against mummies

• Options
    JediabiwanJediabiwan Registered User regular
    Usagi wrote: »
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    Eh, probably a dude pretending to be a lady, you're fine.

Dude, wtf

I mean that's relatively common in online dating? Maybe those fake accounts are just other ladies, but I assume most of them are dudes.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    ...I just installed a Chrome extension called 'jailbreak the patriarchy' after reading an online dating article.

This is fucking mental.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    Jediabiwan wrote: »

Dude, wtf

I mean that's relatively common in online dating? Maybe those fake accounts are just other ladies, but I assume most of them are dudes.

Fake accounts on dating sites are actually common? I was OKC for 6 months or so and don't think I ever ran across one.

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    khain wrote: »

Dude, wtf

Fake accounts on dating sites are actually common? I was OKC for 6 months or so and don't think I ever ran across one.

I've seen a lot of fake accounts on tinder. But those are usually bots.

• Options
    JediabiwanJediabiwan Registered User regular
    khain wrote: »

Dude, wtf

It's not actually a problem, mainly just a joke. And they're normally extremely obvious. But I have noticed a large increase in fake accounts on OKC lately.

• Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular

Dude, wtf

Heh. That post reminds me of an episode of Malcom in the Middle.

• Options
    SarcasmoBlasterSarcasmoBlaster Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    So, I have a weird issue. This girl favorited me on POF. She looks exactly like a girl from work. Same job description in her profile as what she does too. So, I was just assuming it was her. But we had this team building thing recently, and said she has a daughter. The profile says no children. So essentially I'm still unsure if this is her or not. Has anyone run into a situation where a profile might be someone from work (or IRL in general) but aren't quite sure? How do you handle something like this?

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    So, I have a weird issue. This girl favorited me on POF. She looks exactly like a girl from work. Same job description in her profile as what she does too. So, I was just assuming it was her. But we had this team building thing recently, and said she has a daughter. The profile says no children. So essentially I'm still unsure if this is her or not. Has anyone run into a situation where a profile might be someone from work (or IRL in general) but aren't quite sure? How do you handle something like this?

Depends. I ran across a couple coworkers profiles when I worked at a retirement home. We messages each other, laughed about it and moved on because we weren't interested in each other.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular

Dude, wtf

They're more likely to be bots, if Tinder is any indication.

Russian bots that want to text you links to shady websites that siphon off your mobile banking data a la Watch_Dogs.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    ugh god help me I just restarted a PoF account

not sure why I keep putting myself through online dating

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Because you don't have any one introducing you to potential dates offline?
    Oh wait, that's me. Maybe it's you too.

• Options
    chromdom wrote: »
    Because you don't have any one introducing you to potential dates offline?
    Oh wait, that's me. Maybe it's you too.

It is me too

despite my friends knowing hot and presumably cool women!

• Options
    Yeah, but chances are those hot and/or cool women are into sports.

No thanks.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Are those women single?
    Have you asked your friends to set you up with them?

• Options
    MattitudeMattitude Paste Pot Pete Kicking The BucketRegistered User regular
    I have asked my (many) female friends to set me up with their single friends before, and they never have, despite telling me how nice and great and cool and lovely I am and how good a boyfriend I would make. In my head, what they're actually thinking is "You're not good enough for anyone in my social circle you pathetic nerdy fuck."

Or I could just be paranoid.

Yeah. that's probably it.

I'm having a promising exchange with a (seemingly) very cool lady at the moment, but I'm beggining to think a meet-up will never happen. In which case I'll probably back off from dating for a while. I should probably deal with some stuff before I really go hard on dating again. I've not been in the best headspace recently.

I got this Tumblr and I don't know how to use it.
    Decide on the next line by the rhyme when I choose it.
    Also I put songs on YouTube
    The musings of this lonely rube.

I made a thread once. It didn't end well for me.
  • Options
    chromdom wrote: »
    Are those women single?
    Have you asked your friends to set you up with them?

occasionally and sometimes!

but I get the standard reply that boils down to "you're a really great guy .... for someone else"

• Options
    Mattitude wrote: »
    I have asked my (many) female friends to set me up with their single friends before, and they never have, despite telling me how nice and great and cool and lovely I am and how good a boyfriend I would make. In my head, what they're actually thinking is "You're not good enough for anyone in my social circle you pathetic nerdy fuck."

To be honest playing matchmaker sounds like not a fun thing to do. And who wants to be set up anyway?

• Options
    Julius wrote: »

To be honest playing matchmaker sounds like not a fun thing to do. And who wants to be set up anyway?

at this point ....

• Options
    Um... I would?

Whatever, I get it. I'm not entitled to anything, I know that. But still, it's nice when friends do things that support all the smoke that they blow up your arse about how great they think you are. Otherwise you just have a smoke-stained ass and that's no fun - The residue turns all your boxer shorts grey and clogs up the filters on your washing machine. And you have nothing to show for it.

• Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    This may sound mean, but you don't set up your hot female friends with just anyone.
    You'd only match make your most charismatic guy friends with your hot female friends.
    Because, let's face it, your less charismatic guy friends will flub the date, and your female friend will blame you.
    Thus, generally speaking, match making is a big can of worms.
    You're better off throwing a party and let the singles mingle.

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    Hmm, guess my pictures really did scare possible lady off. Anyone in NC area wanna help me take some pictures? I also live about 30-45 minutes from Epic Games so maybe we can visit/cruise by them as well.

I also can offer a good meal.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    KupotheAvengerKupotheAvenger Destroyer of Cake and other deserts.Registered User regular
    Um... I would?

Whatever, I get it. I'm not entitled to anything, I know that. But still, it's nice when friends do things that support all the smoke that they blow up your arse about how great they think you are. Otherwise you just have a smoke-stained ass and that's no fun - The residue turns all your boxer shorts grey and clogs up the filters on your washing machine. And you have nothing to show for it.

Well there's a difference about telling someone you're a good friend and thinking they'd make good dating material. I have a buddy that is a super chill dude and is charismatic enough to be the leader of our board game group, yet you put a willing female in front of him he crumbles like a gingerbread man in milk. Nice guy, but I'd never set him up with one of my friendgirls.

fc: 1821-9801-1163
    Battlenet: Judgement#1243
    psn: KupoZero

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    Hmm, guess my pictures really did scare possible lady off. Anyone in NC area wanna help me take some pictures? I also live about 30-45 minutes from Epic Games so maybe we can visit/cruise by them as well.

So it's come to this? Asking here for a pity date?

For shame!

• Options
    Nocren wrote: »

So it's come to this? Asking here for a pity date?

For shame!

Pity date? Nah.

Not gonna try that again. Things get weird.

Just know that we have some amateur photographers with some talent and hoping to capitalize on it.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    KupotheAvengerKupotheAvenger Destroyer of Cake and other deserts.Registered User regular
    I wish more of you guys lived on the west coast. I do photography for a living, so I could totally help with them profile pics yo.

fc: 1821-9801-1163
    Battlenet: Judgement#1243
    psn: KupoZero

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular

Funnily enough one of my friends is a "matchmaking consultant"; she's basically the OkCupid matching algorithm given human form. Didn't even know that traditional dating agencies were still a thing to be honest, but apparently so! I should probably ask if she can hook me up with someone, she seems to have a bazillion friends and I already know that she's good at that kind of thing...

• Options
    007ctrl_room007ctrl_room Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »

Funnily enough one of my friends is a "matchmaking consultant"; she's basically the OkCupid matching algorithm given human form. Didn't even know that traditional dating agencies were still a thing to be honest, but apparently so! I should probably ask if she can hook me up with someone, she seems to have a bazillion friends and I already know that she's good at that kind of thing...

i always see the matchmaker service ads in the skymall magazine as i'm travelling - i have no doubt it is still a ginormous business for them

LFGdating | In twenty years I'll still be playing Red Alert ... and Goldeneye.
  • Options
    Mr Ray wrote: »

Oh?

• Options
    Um... I would?

I get that but surely just putting a female in your path is not an actual thing we do any more. Maybe you wouldn't like whatever girl you get set up with, and maybe she wouldn't like you either. And perhaps there is a pool of single guys interested in those girls, or there are girls interested in you. And what if it doesn't work out? Being responsible for the relational happiness of other people is not a fun thing to be.

I mean, I'm a single guy and have a lot of single friends from both sides who could conceivably like another. But I don't presume to know what everyone thinks about things and just set people up with eachother. There was an episode of Happy Endings (which is required watching by the way) where Brad set Max up with a guy from work solely on the basis of the other guy being gay too and it showed how presumptuous that was. Brad was being a 'gaycist' because he did not consider any other factor that the two he set up may have in common but even if he had it would have made little difference. Setting up people is something you do because you either think they will never find love of their own or think waiting for that is too much. Basically setting up people means you think you know what other people want better than those people themselves.

I like to get all of my friends meet each other and will gladly help a friend pursue another friend. If your complaint was that you liked a friend of a friend and were unable to pursue her I would be at your side. But if your complaint is that a friend won't just straight up suggest a partner for you then I must side with the friend. Playing matchmaker is no fun and aside from facilitating meetings one should not want to do it.

• Options
    Second post/edit: In case the main point of my post was missed: Everybody should watch Happy Endings.

• Options
    I wish more of you guys lived on the west coast. I do photography for a living, so I could totally help with them profile pics yo.

Nobody can help me be good looking without the aid of Photoshop.

And alcohol.

And bad judgement.

And low standards.

And appallingly bad taste like oh man what is even wrong with you

• Options

I had to move to make room for you in the northern part of the state.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Well, no of course I don't want to be set up with a woman just because she's a woman, I would like to think my friends know me well enough to have an idea of what I look for in a potential partner. But I guess that just hammers home the realisation that I am super far away from the vast majority of my friends in terms of interests/personality/temperament/whatever else.

I'm not sure if that makes me feel worse or better.

I have, in the past, set friends up/help them get together with women I have had a thing for myself. I did it because they were my friends, and I wanted to help them. I didn't even begrudge them that. I even had fun/got some some satisfaction out of doing it.

Also I knew I'd never have a chance myself so I might as well help push things along their natural course. I mean that's what the rest of us are her for right? To grease the wheels for the attractive and successful, ensure the world keeps running smoothly while they gently glide to the top like the cream they are?

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »

Nobody can help me be good looking without the aid of Photoshop.

And alcohol.

And bad judgement.

And low standards.

And appallingly bad taste like oh man what is even wrong with you

Disagree hardcore.

• Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    Well, no of course I don't want to be set up with a woman just because she's a woman, I would like to think my friends know me well enough to have an idea of what I look for in a potential partner. But I guess that just hammers home the realisation that I am super far away from the vast majority of my friends in terms of interests/personality/temperament/whatever else.

I'm not sure if that makes me feel worse or better.

I have, in the past, set friends up/help them get together with women I have had a thing for myself. I did it because they were my friends, and I wanted to help them. I didn't even begrudge them that. I even had fun/got some some satisfaction out of doing it.

Also I knew I'd never have a chance myself so I might as well help push things along their natural course. I mean that's what the rest of us are her for right? To grease the wheels for the attractive and successful, ensure the world keeps running smoothly while they gently glide to the top like the cream they are?

Whilst you might have been happy to play matchmaker it doesn't mean your friends are - if they screw up they might end up with two different people mad at them for a host of reasons! "How did you think he/she was right for me?"

Or they might just think the possible set-ups available wouldn't work?

Or you lot might just at the age group were everything's fluid and fun and setting people up isn't particularly a thing. It becomes more of an idea when people are older and have more crowded lives. IRRC you're not old right? Much like with online dating younger women have a lot of options but it evens out later on.

Or they might have detected a smidgeon of bitterness like that last sentence (assuming its not tongue in cheek) and wanted to avoid generating more of that?

• Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    Got a message from a lady who is in.. Rwanda

Nope nope nope even tough she's pretty and writes in perfect French, I'm definitively not up for a long distance relationship like this!

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    I just got a Happy Birthday message from three online dating sites.

One of which I don't even remember signing up for.

well it WAS a happy birthday!

• Options
    edited October 2014
    I get those too.

What the hell is <this questionably legal site> and why did I sign up for it? Ooooh.... ooooooooooohhhh.....
    Yeah, that was a stupid thing to do. Why did me from 8 years ago do that?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Come on, I'm way more than a smidge bitter. And yeah, it's another thing to put on the list of stuff that makes me a shitty person, especially as I have no real reason to be.

I get it. I'm wrong. I'm just trying to justify myself so I don't feel like a shit, but it's just making me feel/look like more of a shit so I'm just going to stop it here.

So, dating, huh? Where do people find the time? I've been having some really promising conversations with a lady from OKC but I'm about to head back home for a couple of weeks because I need to get out of London before I go mad. I think if we go too long without meeting it'll just fizzle out. And that'd be a shame.

And also I've been speaking to my ex a lot recently and it just hammers home how much better we are as friends. I wish I'd realised sooner, we'd have saved ourselves a few screaming arguments.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    meh

L Ron Howard on