As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Internet Dating] Where we do NOT discriminate against mummies

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    Julius wrote: »
    Mattitude wrote: »
    I have asked my (many) female friends to set me up with their single friends before, and they never have, despite telling me how nice and great and cool and lovely I am and how good a boyfriend I would make. In my head, what they're actually thinking is "You're not good enough for anyone in my social circle you pathetic nerdy fuck."

To be honest playing matchmaker sounds like not a fun thing to do. And who wants to be set up anyway?

Funnily enough one of my friends is a "matchmaking consultant"; she's basically the OkCupid matching algorithm given human form. Didn't even know that traditional dating agencies were still a thing to be honest, but apparently so! I should probably ask if she can hook me up with someone, she seems to have a bazillion friends and I already know that she's good at that kind of thing...

Oh?

...yes? Did you have a specific question in mind? The first things everyone always asks her are apparently:

1. Do you get a good mix of men and women?
    2. Do you get a lot of creepy dudes?
    3. What sort of clients do you usually get?
    4. Do you ever get people with ridiculously high standards who reject everyone you pick for them?

And the answers were:

1. More men than women as you might expect, but fairly balanced.

2. No, they have a screening process to filter anyone like that out, which is part of the reason people use these services in the first place.

3. Usually busy professionals who don't have a lot of free time and are sick of online dating. Also a lot of Chinese immigrants; apparently matchmakers are a lot more common over there so its what they're used to.

4. Yes, and its more often the ladies than the men funnily enough. Apparently some people come in like "Yeah, I want a guy over 6 feet tall, must be in great shape, have a PHD, speak at least two languages and make a six figure salary so that I can stay at home all day and not work", and my friend has to find a way to diplomatically say "Well we actually do have a few men like that... but there's no way in hell they'd be interested in you."

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    haha thanks for typing that out

It was more of an offhanded 'oh, she has a bazillion friends huh'

I was being goofy, but that actually is pretty cool. I had no idea such a profession actually existed!

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I would definitely lose the part about music other than Dragonforce being crap. It comes across to me as pretty insulting, and is unnecessary.
    Also, maybe add another picture or two, showing you in different environments. I'd suggest something smiling, but I have an issue with people not smiling in personals.

chromdom on
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    So a few days ago I got a message that was the first verse of "The Sound of Silence." Odd choice, but not terrible. Younger than me, but that's typically my preference. Hadn't had time to respond, yet. Yesterday I get this: "Is it my age, milady?" Well, no, it's definitely not, but now you've referred to me as "milady." All of the red flags, right? So I go to his profile, which is fairly skeletal, but contains "The first things people usually notice about me: European bloodline." What? I don't even...what?

Why are people so weird?

• Options
    That is a really good question.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Lack of social cues?

Lord knows sometimes I mimic Revan from KoTOR during conversations... (Silently nodding every so often, kinda swaying a little...)

For being an extrovert I'm bad at socially interacting with people.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    KupotheAvengerKupotheAvenger Destroyer of Cake and other deserts.Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »
    So a few days ago I got a message that was the first verse of "The Sound of Silence." Odd choice, but not terrible. Younger than me, but that's typically my preference. Hadn't had time to respond, yet. Yesterday I get this: "Is it my age, milady?" Well, no, it's definitely not, but now you've referred to me as "milady." All of the red flags, right? So I go to his profile, which is fairly skeletal, but contains "The first things people usually notice about me: European bloodline." What? I don't even...what?

Why are people so weird?

People are only considered weird if a person finds them unattractive. If someone finds them attractive, they're considered quirky. I'm not being sarcastic, this is a thing. Case in point: Me.

I'm the DM for a D&D group, develop video games, and have a soft spot for using overly complicated words in simple expressions. I'm also ratbag ugly. To the rest of society I'm weird. But to my girlfriend, I am "adorkably quirky and unique."

What the rightly fuck? I mean I'm not complaining but attractiveness is such an odd bird sometimes.

KupotheAvenger on
    fc: 1821-9801-1163
    Battlenet: Judgement#1243
    psn: KupoZero

• Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    Have a date tomorrow. The rendez-vous point is in the area where the shooting happened yesterday in Ottawa. Can't help but feel a little weird about it butttt we can't let a single maniac dictate our lifes can we?

I should ask my date how that makes her feel just to be sure....

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    Yeah, good call

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Showed up in my fb feed today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCLi6vSIuPE

It's one thing to see the messages written down, but another altogether to hear them

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Why are people so weird?

There's no answer to that question that's satisfying. Trust me.

• Options
    KupotheAvengerKupotheAvenger Destroyer of Cake and other deserts.Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Why are people so weird?

There's no answer to that question that's satisfying. Trust me.

But that answer is satisfying.

fc: 1821-9801-1163
    Battlenet: Judgement#1243
    psn: KupoZero

• Options
    Well, she cancelled but it isn't due to the shooting. She say she have ''familly issues'' and therefore have to be out of town.

I figured it would be rude to pry so I simply replied ''take care of yourself and hit me up when you're back in town''.

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Jean wrote: »
    Well, she cancelled but it isn't due to the shooting. She say she have ''familly issues'' and therefore have to be out of town.

I figured it would be rude to pry so I simply replied ''take care of yourself and hit me up when you're back in town''.

Dude, did that Sasha Grey video teach you nothing? I'm pretty sure this is the part where you draw a sad face on your penis and send her a picture of it.

• Options

Why are people so weird?

People are only considered weird if a person finds them unattractive. If someone finds them attractive, they're considered quirky. I'm not being sarcastic, this is a thing. Case in point: Me.

I'm the DM for a D&D group, develop video games, and have a soft spot for using overly complicated words in simple expressions. I'm also ratbag ugly. To the rest of society I'm weird. But to my girlfriend, I am "adorkably quirky and unique."

What the rightly fuck? I mean I'm not complaining but attractiveness is such an odd bird sometimes.

Oh I know that attractiveness is odd. My point was more the "European bloodline" thing. Like what? People notice that you're white? Ooookay, cool.

• Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular

Why are people so weird?

Oh I know that attractiveness is odd. My point was more the "European bloodline" thing. Like what? People notice that you're white? Ooookay, cool.
    Maybe he is related to one of the aristocracy, so he has no chin?

• Options
    edited October 2014
    man

I spent all last night bitching to a friend and feeling sorry for myself about the trials and tribulations of online dating.

woke up to 3 messages (one of which contained a phone number!)

of course, if these all go like every other one, I'll be boohooing again in under a week =P

edit: and down to one already

aahahahhaha

Xaquin on
  • Options
    NatinatorNatinator Registered User regular
    edited October 2014

Why are people so weird?

Or he looks like a Viking. I imagine it would be quite noticeable if he was walking around with a big axe.

OR, he is actually related to a King/Queen/Duke/whatever, and you're totally missing out on all that $$$...

Natinator on
    Steam ID: natinator Xbox Live: Natman PRIME LoL: A1 Sauce
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Showed up in my fb feed today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCLi6vSIuPE

It's one thing to see the messages written down, but another altogether to hear them

Man, way to bury the lede. The important takeaway from this video is that Nacho Vigalando has a new movie out that takes place entirely on a computer screen. So exciting!

Also, secondarily, that video was funny and it's awful how sexist/awkward dudes are.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    T-boltT-bolt Registered User regular
    I've passively been on OKC & POF for the past few months as I got too burnt out on it. Early last week I got a message saying "so how about that drink?" from a girl I talked with about 4-5 months ago where conversation ended because she was living out of town for a while until now. She was going to let me know when she was available, but there's been nothing but silence since. Until I unfollowed her from the activity feed I knew she was stll active and updating her profile. Got an unsolicited message from a different girl on the weekend, who also didn't message further after I replied. So girls who choose to message me (and even ask me out) aren't particularly interested in meeting me either. Deleting my account is looking mighty tempting right now.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular

Why are people so weird?

While it's good that he's enthusiastic about Europe, like any civilised man, it's pretty vague beyond that. Is he dutch? Is he greek? It is a mystery.

• Options
    Right? Looked pretty generically white to me. I don't even know.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Archangle wrote: »

Why are people so weird?

Maybe he is related to one of the aristocracy, so he has no chin?

it's clearly a dracula hunting wake up SHEEPLE 8O

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Don't go dating them dracalers. Money ain't worth the kink.

• Options
    Two dates in the works?!

• Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Just had the strangest night. Went to a Halloween party of an old friend, pretty chill set up. I could add details but summary goes as thus.

Almost get into a fight by some guy who is dating a girl who I haven't talked to in 10 years. But evidently I've facebook stalked? (I don't even think we're friends on FB, she used to have a crush on me, I haven't talked to her in about 10 years or so) so her new BF an uncle come at me. And here's how it went down. The guy mentions he's made two babies , I'm thinking WTF that's an odd conversation starter and reply, are you sure it's just two and there's not a third in the wild?

No shit, the uncle gets all up in my face. Follows me to go take a piss. I walk out the bathroom with the bottle knuckled up expecting something to go down, which it almost did until somebody got him out of my face.

Then, some people want to get out of there and mention another after party. Normal, I know, but the person that keeps pestering me to go? A married woman of a guy who I was not friends with in HS, who seems to be hitting on me all night, and was at the party the night before and kept flirting with me. I swear she made me uncomfortable.

And I will admit, I went to that party in part because a girl I'm good friends with now, used to have a crush on me was going and also pestured me to go while offering a ride home, who has a boyfriend who is like a nerdier unemployed version of me, who is also a dick to the girl, and over the years I've actually grown a crush on.

Tl:dr Being single is hard.

• Options
    007ctrl_room007ctrl_room Registered User regular

Why are people so weird?

Wow, I instantly thought of "JP" from Grandma's Boy when I read the milady line.

LFGdating | In twenty years I'll still be playing Red Alert ... and Goldeneye.
  • Options
    007ctrl_room007ctrl_room Registered User regular
    T-bolt wrote: »
    I've passively been on OKC & POF for the past few months as I got too burnt out on it. Early last week I got a message saying "so how about that drink?" from a girl I talked with about 4-5 months ago where conversation ended because she was living out of town for a while until now. She was going to let me know when she was available, but there's been nothing but silence since. Until I unfollowed her from the activity feed I knew she was stll active and updating her profile. Got an unsolicited message from a different girl on the weekend, who also didn't message further after I replied. So girls who choose to message me (and even ask me out) aren't particularly interested in meeting me either. Deleting my account is looking mighty tempting right now.

Why not go out with the one who is back in town?

LFGdating | In twenty years I'll still be playing Red Alert ... and Goldeneye.
  • Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    So, after I updated my Facebook (for the first time in, like... ever. Cause I spend basically no time on Facebook.) for my recently single status, it threw Zoosk in my face. In my grief, I went "yeah, okay, whatever" and let it connect.

Totally forgot about that a little over a week ago, didn't actually update any of the stuff on the profile and all it has whatever it linked from my FB account, I presume.

For kicks, I checked today... and it turns out even with zero effort I got a message sent my way. Like, not really actually interested in meeting anyone quite yet, but you know, it was a nice ego boost.

• Options
    T-boltT-bolt Registered User regular
    T-bolt wrote: »

Why not go out with the one who is back in town?
    I would have, had she told me when she was available. But I never heard back from her.

• Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    I had a bit of an odd one today. I saw some girl that seemed pretty awesome, lot of similar interests, close in age, pretty good setup. Messaged her and it went basically nothing like I would have expected.

Like... I commented on a bunch of the stuff she had written. Just places to start up some conversation since "yeah, all that stuff you said, pretty much ditto" isn't all that interesting, nor does it show much thought.

Then went on to a bunch of the stuff I enjoy/like.

And I got back a very confrontational message that basically acted like I'd completely disagreed with everything she'd said.

We went back and forth a little bit since I kind of figured she must have just read what I said wrong. So I even stated I agreed with her just to make sure that was clear. I tried to keep it polite and lighthearted. Maybe it was an off day, etc.

Her response? Pretty much either ignoring, or grossly misreading into what I said (again), stating (with a lot of hostility) her views on things that I not only didn't disagree with, but agreed with her on like I was calling her out on them, then insulting me directly.

Which of course removes any question in my mind why she's still single, and certainly not worth anyone's time till she gets the rather large chip off her shoulder. But man, it kills me how annoying it is for me to meet people in the area I am.

• Options
    Kinda reminds me of when I browsed CL back in CA. There was a woman that posted with relative frequency for at least a couple of years (same picture and roughly the same ad every time) and I did try and contact her at first. But it eventually fizzled out.

Then I contacted her again a couple years later via her ad and I think on the second email I mentioned that "she seemed familiar and I might have messaged her before?" to which her reply was essentially "oh we talked before? bye."

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Got a lunch date in a couple hours.

no big deal, I'm totally cool.

adfnfeccbz6t.jpg

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Good luck @Xaquin!

Have a date set up for Friday myself. It's not with the same girl who cancelled last week. I texted her and got ignored even tough she's logging on to POF. Looks like I've been rejected by her! O well :)

Friday happens to be Halloween and my date proposed to be costumed. I said ''Why not that could be funny'' Now I have 3 days to get myself a Halloween costume!

Jean on
  • Options
    holy crap, I had the nicest time!

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Pro Tip for women on dating sites. Don't use a porn stars photo as your profile pic. There is a chance guys will recognize her ...

• Options
    NatinatorNatinator Registered User regular
    Jean wrote: »
    Good luck @Xaquin!

Have a date set up for Friday myself. It's not with the same girl who cancelled last week. I texted her and got ignored even tough she's logging on to POF. Looks like I've been rejected by her! O well :)

Friday happens to be Halloween and my date proposed to be costumed. I said ''Why not that could be funny'' Now I have 3 days to get myself a Halloween costume!

Naked Man?

Steam ID: natinator Xbox Live: Natman PRIME LoL: A1 Sauce
  • Options
    Bought my costume today! I'll be a pirate, ar ar mateys!

Got myself a pretty cool pirate hat for $3. :)

• Options
    In a shocking turn of events, I have a second date!

I'm not looking forward to the venue though as they have live music and I'm really hard of hearing

Got the fingers crossed!

• Options
    edited October 2014
    So earlier this month on the 2nd, in an attempt to end my hermitude in my new living area, I responded to a CL ad in the platonic section for a nerdy girl looking for more nerdy friends to play games with. Things like board/card/role playing games.

Well, got a response back, and she apparently just broke up with her ex last week (didn't press the issue), and now we're meeting for dinner and Eldritch Horror at the local gaming/comic store.

EDIT: Everyone, retract your Awesomes... date canceled since she got rear-ended on the highway. She's fine, but she might need a tow (the body damage doesn't look too bad, but there might be engine stress from the impact and breaking).
    So we're rescheduling for sunday.

EDIT 2: More pictures. There's no problem with the engine, but the bumper/wheel well is all kinds of jagged metal pressing up against the rear tire, so yeah, can't drive it right now. At least, not without buying a new tire in about 3 miles.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg