As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Internet Dating] Where we do NOT discriminate against mummies

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    How does OKC compare to PoF? I get no responses on the latter, regardless of what I say. I don't bite, people, you can respond!

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I vastly prefer OKC to PoF. The website is cleaner, there's more information, etc. But I wouldn't necessarily expect a better response rate.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Magus` wrote: »
    How does OKC compare to PoF? I get no responses on the latter, regardless of what I say. I don't bite, people, you can respond!

Unless you are one of the very, very few men in this thread lucky enough to be considerably more attractive to women than the average, you should still expect a response rate of between 1 in 10 to 1 in 50 (or more) to an initial message even on OKC. Not all those responses will be positive either.

That's part of why we commiserate in this thread much of the time. The first blast of feeling like you're the ugliest, most uninteresting, and most socially obtuse person on earth after the initial enthusiasm wears off can be intense. Online dating has its highs and lows just like any other method of dating.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I like to think I'm decent looking. Not a model, but at least a 6. I'm also tall which people keep telling me is a thing. Not so far!

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    You may need better pictures or you need to lie more...possibly both.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    So me and capoera girl are exchanging long emails which is nice. Lots of information going back and forth. Weather, games, family, food, hiking trails, and generally lots of stuff.

It's something to look forward to since I get one about once a day/evening.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    kemekeme Registered User regular
    A response rate of 1 in 10 would be amazing and a huge success. I get about 1 in 100. Send ten messages a day, one response every 10 days.

I don't count responses from people who are clearly bored or abusive or self-obsessed time wasters. But one good, promising message out of 100. Of those, maybe one in four turns into a date.

I'm going to get a decent photo and give Tinder a try. It takes a good hour to send ten messages and with such a low return it's not really worth it. Swiping seems significantly more efficient.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    keme wrote: »
    A response rate of 1 in 10 would be amazing and a huge success. I get about 1 in 100. Send ten messages a day, one response every 10 days.

I don't count responses from people who are clearly bored or abusive or self-obsessed time wasters. But one good, promising message out of 100. Of those, maybe one in four turns into a date.

I'm going to get a decent photo and give Tinder a try. It takes a good hour to send ten messages and with such a low return it's not really worth it. Swiping seems significantly more efficient.

I can say that Tinder is indeed a much more efficient way of being unresponded to compared to OKC.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I think I finally have enough self confidence to realize that I can easily go out and find meaningless, random sex.

And sometimes I might not even have to pay for it!

But I don't want meaningless sex.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    YogoYogo Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    I think I finally have enough self confidence to realize that I can easily go out and find meaningless, random sex.

Amen.

Nothing new on my front which I guess is good news. I think the potential storm as been avoided by my last message and thing's will cool off for now. Plan is to contact her again once we near the time of departure (like a week before or so).

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    keme wrote: »

I can say that Tinder is indeed a much more efficient way of being unresponded to compared to OKC.

My experience on Tinder says I don't have to worry about not being responded to because I don't match with anyone. Except the predictable bot with hot girl pictures and some generic inspirational saying.

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Ugh safari ate my post will type it later

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Even though it seems OKC and PoF have the same people I like OKC more because it did not ask questions about income that was going to help make your match
    F that
    Really I liked having a social life when I dated now I look at it as do I really want to in this state?

• Options
    PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    MrBig wrote: »
    I'm going to go out with this not so attractive woman again. Go to a museum or something. Been texting her ocassionally or she texts me. How bad can it be?

I'm going to try to make this work because I'm sick of internet dating. Also, this woman pays twice as much rent as I do which implies twice as much income. And an unattractive woman appreciates you more. I don't want to get into a Jimmy Soul tangent, though.

But how many unattractive women (and men) are out there? Loads. I see them all the time. What are they doing? Are they all getting cats? No, most of them are in relationships.

Not to be presumptuous but...does that mean you're very attractive? It's kind of messed up to say that you seem to be thinking you're on this platform above her.

Also...does that mean only ugly people get into relationships to settle? As a pretty goddamn ugly guy, I've dated plenty of attractive women (and had relationships with them), and been told that they weren't in fact settling. In a strange turn one of them, I dumped one for not being interesting enough/being unattractive (pretty as a flower, but shallow as a puddle).

So when you say unattractive, are you talking about just looks? Or does she punch babies? Because if she punches babies, I'd say that she's pretty unattractive. Otherwise she just isn't pretty to you and deserves more than pity dating.

1) I have met Kupo and he's not ugly.

2) I met some girl on Coffee Meets Bagel and it's been going really well for the last month or so. So that's good! Each time we've hung out, it's been for 3++ hours.

Hope all you people are doing well. To the person considering dating someone he doesn't find attractive - just don't. This girl isn't a tool to build your self esteem.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »

Nothing wrong with that!

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    builderr0rbuilderr0r Registered User regular
    The only kind of dating I've ever done is "internet dating" lol. It's hard to meet people any other way because I'm really introverted and shy (at least, initially).

I met my boyfriend on a forum about 3 years ago. Never had any success with dating sites though. Got a lot of messages from guys who had absolutely nothing in common with me...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Shared interests are great, but in my experience they don't adequately predict or determine compatibility. Personally, I'd rather have an intelligent, assertive, and kind woman over one who simply shares my nerdy interests. An overlap of those are preferred, yet focusing on interests has led me into some bad relationships. The way I look at it, an intelligent woman is guranteed to have interests in common with me anyway. Not playing games with her doesn't seem so bad in the long run if we get along. Too many of my friends look for geeky women specifically and it's a mistake.

Still, I never seem to take my own advice. :/

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Taranis wrote: »
    Shared interests are great, but in my experience they don't adequately predict or determine compatibility.
    Yeah, I agree with that. It's just one thing among others that is important to me. I guess I can be kind of picky about personality (definitely moreso than looks, for example). Intelligence and kindness are always expected as well. :P

builderr0r on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I believe I have experienced a blessing in disguise.

That last reply I sent to the girl? Well, it actually never made it, so she hadn't heard from me since Wednesday. We both got a message today saying that my message didn't arrive, and so we began our contact anew. I guess the wait time was a good thing because she was really forthcoming, and interested in doing some of the stuff I had planned for the trip. So yay for that :)

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Shared interests are less a matter of looking for something, and more a mechanism for interacting with anybody in the first place.

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Yogo wrote: »
    I believe I have experienced a blessing in disguise.

That last reply I sent to the girl? Well, it actually never made it, so she hadn't heard from me since Wednesday. We both got a message today saying that my message didn't arrive, and so we began our contact anew. I guess the wait time was a good thing because she was really forthcoming, and interested in doing some of the stuff I had planned for the trip. So yay for that :)

21st century foreplay.

• Options
    PLA wrote: »
    Shared interests are less a matter of looking for something, and more a mechanism for interacting with anybody in the first place.

I disagree. Someone's interests say much about their character. Interaction is also the basis of any relationship.

Shared interests are extremely important. I just don't think any subset should be prioritized over personality traits.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

I disagree. Someone's interests say much about their character. Interaction is also the basis of any relationship.

Shared interests are extremely important. I just don't think any subset should be prioritized over personality traits.

Yeah - a lack of shared interests is evidence of dissimilar worldviews. Which, in my experience, is big trouble. Of course, overly shared interests can be just as problematic.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    KupotheAvengerKupotheAvenger Destroyer of Cake and other deserts.Registered User regular

Yeah - a lack of shared interests is evidence of dissimilar worldviews. Which, in my experience, is big trouble. Of course, overly shared interests can be just as problematic.

I politely disagree with this. It isn't so much dissimilar worldview as dissimilar experience. My gf is a huge workaholic, not because she is averse to fun, but because she was raised as a psychotic workaholic. That being said, I've slowly been introducing things to her, and while she isn't a rampant whovian, we both agree that Frank Underwood is an evil evil, inspiring man. But this all came from the difference of interests than anything else. Your partner should be complimentary, because lord knows if I was dating myself, I'd commit suicide.

fc: 1821-9801-1163
    Battlenet: Judgement#1243
    psn: KupoZero

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular

I disagree. Someone's interests say much about their character.

I dunno, I never felt this to be the case. Of course I rarely interact with people with whom I share no interests whatsoever. And of course it depends on what we mean by "interests". I have an interest in not getting up at 6 on a weekend to go hiking and I wouldn't be compatible with a girl who didn't share that interest, but I get the feeling that not everyone means "interests" in such a broad way.

I think a lot of guys, and particularly nerds, mean by shared "interests" shared hobbies.

• Options
    edited March 2015

I politely disagree with this. It isn't so much dissimilar worldview as dissimilar experience. My gf is a huge workaholic, not because she is averse to fun, but because she was raised as a psychotic workaholic. That being said, I've slowly been introducing things to her, and while she isn't a rampant whovian, we both agree that Frank Underwood is an evil evil, inspiring man. But this all came from the difference of interests than anything else. Your partner should be complimentary, because lord knows if I was dating myself, I'd commit suicide.

It's not all or nothing.

If someone likes nothing but reality shows, soap operas, and judge Judy then we're not going to get along. I don't care how smart you are (but those shows are really shallow anyway so maybe they're poor examples). Same goes with Fox News and other sorts of entertainment indicative of right wing views. If you like horror movies then you like to be scared. If you like mysteries then you like to think. If you like documentaries then you like to learn. Every form of entertainment makes statements that must be accepted on some level to be enjoyed. That speaks to your character. Plus some shared activities both of you enjoy are necessary for a healthy long term relationship.

Edit: so no, not necessarily hobbies. Science and philosophy also fit the bill

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    If you like horror movies then you like to be scared. If you like mysteries then you like to think. If you like documentaries then you like to learn.

One can also all like those things without liking movies. I agree that what a person likes tells you something about that person, but a lack of liking something doesn't.

• Options
    Julius wrote: »
    If you like horror movies then you like to be scared. If you like mysteries then you like to think. If you like documentaries then you like to learn.

One can also all like those things without liking movies. I agree that what a person likes tells you something about that person, but a lack of liking something doesn't.

Agreed, but a dislike would.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Has anyone done a long distance relationship with someone they met online? Any ideas for what can make the distance easier to deal with?

builderr0r on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KupotheAvengerKupotheAvenger Destroyer of Cake and other deserts.Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    builderr0r wrote: »
    Has anyone done a long distance relationship with someone they met online? Any ideas for what can make the distance easier to deal with?

facetime. scheduled visits. don't schedule times to talk at night though. you'll end up resenting each other.

KupotheAvenger on

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Bah.

I continue to feel like I'm stuck in this stupid weird middle ground dead zone when it comes to online dating.

I live a really active lifestyle, both socially and physically, and my ideal match would be able to join me in my outings. I'm not talking anything extreme but I like to go backpacking/camping, running, rock climbing, etc.

At the same time I'm just average build, probably could lose 5-10 lbs. I'm also average looks at best. And I have the cliche nerdy interests, that although don't take over my life are still important to me.

So I get two types of high matches: 1)Girls who match me intellectually and nerdy wise but aren't interested in outdoors (like they explicitly say so). 2) Or girls, that for lack of better words, have way better options when it comes to physical attraction (whihc let's face it, is a huge deal online).

• Options
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Bah.

I continue to feel like I'm stuck in this stupid weird middle ground dead zone when it comes to online dating.

I live a really active lifestyle, both socially and physically, and my ideal match would be able to join me in my outings. I'm not talking anything extreme but I like to go backpacking/camping, running, rock climbing, etc.

At the same time I'm just average build, probably could lose 5-10 lbs. I'm also average looks at best. And I have the cliche nerdy interests, that although don't take over my life are still important to me.

So I get two types of high matches: 1)Girls who match me intellectually and nerdy wise but aren't interested in outdoors (like they explicitly say so). 2) Or girls, that for lack of better words, have way better options when it comes to physical attraction (whihc let's face it, is a huge deal online).

Totally been there dude. Although you have a fatal flaw in your logic. 2) Who the fuck cares if they have "better" matches? Just go for it, there isn't really downside for trying, and you need to value yourself as the awesome unicorn you are. Truly nerdy athletes are rare. Athletes that pretend to be nerdy (since its trendy) are way too common. You kick ass, so just go for it.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Shared interests are great, but in my experience they don't adequately predict or determine compatibility. Personally, I'd rather have an intelligent, assertive, and kind woman over one who simply shares my nerdy interests. An overlap of those are preferred, yet focusing on interests has led me into some bad relationships. The way I look at it, an intelligent woman is guranteed to have interests in common with me anyway. Not playing games with her doesn't seem so bad in the long run if we get along. Too many of my friends look for geeky women specifically and it's a mistake.

I've heard recently that finding people with similar dislikes tends to be better than similar likes overall.

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »

I've heard recently that finding people with similar dislikes tends to be better than similar likes overall.

That's interesting and sounds pretty reasonable. What was the explanation given?

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    It's been awhile since I read it but I think it was something about people usually feeling more strongly about things they dislike.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular

Did I propose interactionless relationships?

• Options

Did I propose interactionless relationships?

No. I didn't even imply that you did.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    NatinatorNatinator Registered User regular
    Ok, this question isn't particularly to do with online dating in my particular situation, but it could still apply there.

How do people deal with intimidatingly awesome guys/girls you meet?

Steam ID: natinator Xbox Live: Natman PRIME LoL: A1 Sauce
  • Options
    Natinator wrote: »
    Ok, this question isn't particularly to do with online dating in my particular situation, but it could still apply there.

Like with any other interesting person.

Talk to them, get to know them better, see if there is a connection beyond the initial meet-up.

Start some small talk, get into bigger talks and become relaxed with each other.

• Options
    Natinator wrote: »

Realize that awesome is a matter of perspective, change your perspective, engage as peer. Repeat as needed. Profit.