As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[sysadmins] - International Brotherhood of Neckbeards and Mouthbreathers Local 258

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Was shooting the shit around the water cooler last week, and someone walks by and mentions that %client% has Cryptowall. Our sales guy immediately says that whenever someone says 'Cryptowall' he just hears 'cha-ching!'

Another client got it a few days later, and I emailed him:
    "[Sales monkey], [client] just reported a Crypto infection and I wanted to make sure you were copied on our official response here."

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    For anyone looking to disable SSL# thanks to POODLE attack, this article provides a good overview. It includes editing security features in IE, switch lines for launching Chrome without SSL, editing Firefox's about:config file, as well as Apache, IIS, and NGINX.

Hope it's helpful.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Hey guys.

I'm finding my job is having to do more and more SQL queries and work. I've started playing around with H2 in order to merge data and export it in a form I like, but I really, REALLY don't like doing that from a security perspective. What I'd like to do is have a program that can query multiple databases at once, collate the data, and present it to me. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I'm currently working primarily in an Oracle database, but I have need to connect to an IBM DB2 mainframe. I am currently using jDeveloper 12 for the oracle database, and a free version of DbVisualizer for the DB2. The DB2 server isn't licensed to allow connections from JDeveloper, from what I can tell.

I don't know what products I have access/licensing to here on campus either. I know some people have Toad, but I don't know if that is the right tool for the job I'm trying to do. We also have bigger enterprise suites that are supposed to make reports, but I don't think I have access to those either due to my position as Systems Admin and not Business Analyst...

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    I'm not even remotely that DBA'ish to be able to handle that question.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    A pox on Cisco ASAs for having a funky arse power cord!

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Hey guys.

I'm finding my job is having to do more and more SQL queries and work. I've started playing around with H2 in order to merge data and export it in a form I like, but I really, REALLY don't like doing that from a security perspective. What I'd like to do is have a program that can query multiple databases at once, collate the data, and present it to me. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I'm currently working primarily in an Oracle database, but I have need to connect to an IBM DB2 mainframe. I am currently using jDeveloper 12 for the oracle database, and a free version of DbVisualizer for the DB2. The DB2 server isn't licensed to allow connections from JDeveloper, from what I can tell.

I don't know what products I have access/licensing to here on campus either. I know some people have Toad, but I don't know if that is the right tool for the job I'm trying to do. We also have bigger enterprise suites that are supposed to make reports, but I don't think I have access to those either due to my position as Systems Admin and not Business Analyst...

Yeah, there are a ton of aggregation tools built into some suites, but nothing specific that's easy, I don't think. Doing multipass SQL into a temp space would probably be the best way for simplicity, and integrating it into the semantic layer in a BI tool or via something like Spark the long-term way.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Bigity wrote: »
    A pox on Cisco ASAs for having a funky arse power cord!

But then how can we nickle and dime benjo and clevo customers for replacement parts?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    New low in stupid, entitled customers.

This dev, appropros of nothing, opened a Lync group conversation with our entire department.
    To put in a repair ticket.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Oh dear god... it's bad enough that I have to contact Symantec support, but their hold music is like Kenny G at the Renaissance Festival.

For those of you unfamiliar to either of those two, you can replace it was Sting playing the lute. Either way, it blows.

EDIT: Wait wait wait... now it sounds like the Charlie Brown theme song done by a heroin addict

Le_Goat on
  • Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    Holy goats, Le_Goat, I didn't even know that was a thing.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcvF6SI0A8s

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    I've been moving and configuring a huge pile of UPSes all day. I will do sex on whoever figures out how to make batteries feather light.

• Options
    Cog wrote: »
    I've been moving and configuring a huge pile of UPSes all day. I will do sex on whoever figures out how to make batteries feather light.

I'm fairly positive that technology will be building-based fusion reactors.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

That will need a forklift to move the ups.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options

I don't remember my Civ tech trees that well.

• Options
    I can't even count the times I've almost thrown my back out by moving a UPS or installing a new battery. At one point, we used dead UPS units as door stops. They're really effective at that.

• Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    Love me these 80 hour work weeks.

On-call shouldn't mean "continue working for another 9 hours every day".

On average there are about 200 SMS alerts per night to the on-call phone.

Fuck my life.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    jaziek wrote: »
    Love me these 80 hour work weeks.

On-call shouldn't mean "continue working for another 9 hours every day".

On average there are about 200 SMS alerts per night to the on-call phone.

Fuck my life.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Man, you guys need to figure out what's causing that much shit to fail that frequently. That's fucked up, IMO.

I mean, being on-call sucks, but that's fucking ridiculous and someone should attempt to address why the on-call phone is getting hammered that often.

• Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Badly written software, running on outdated, inadequete and badly configured hardware, a terribly designed platform, and monitoring and alerting that isn't fit for purpose.

The whole thing is an unfixable behemoth of shit, and nobody is willing / has the time to fix it. I've asked managers to let me do something about it, and get shot down every time.

I need a new job.

jaziek on
    Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    I can't even count the times I've almost thrown my back out by moving a UPS or installing a new battery. At one point, we used dead UPS units as door stops. They're really effective at that.

Not so random tangential thought incoming:

APC batteries are the worst because they want you to buy their special APC batteries.

All their special APC batteries are is a regular battery with an APC sticker over the label. And you can get that battery at home depot/ace/hardware store of your choosing for 75% less.

:/

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular

Some day Li-poly tech will be good enough to use in UPSes.

• Options
    We had our annual penetration testing performed recently (you may tee hee whenever you feel appropriate) and they guy was giving my boss his review. Somewhere in the middle, he began talking about how he had cracked a ransomware (not sure which) using multiple PS2s chained together for processing power to cycle through all available passwords, or something to that nature.

This is all second-hand information, but the notion is pretty god damn fascinating.

• Options
    edited October 2014

The worst day I had was at my first real admin position, when things were randomly going offline and sometimes coming back on all day. Switches, servers, switch ports, storage arrays, there was no real rhyme or reason to it. At one point I was trying to track down a single ethernet cable, and it ran into our cable rat's nest. This was seriously a 3 foot high, ~4x4 pile of cable spaghetti spilling up and out of two open floor panels in the datacenter. About half the things in the datacenter probably had a line into it, and that line may or may not have come back out. There were a lot of dead ends, a lot of it was wrapped, tentacle like, around power strips and loose rack PDUs. Some were plugged in and live, with production shit plugged into them, some were unplugged, but it was too much of a nightmare to extract them. It was a mess I inherited and never had the motivation to touch.

So while I'm tracing the line, with a flashlight, my light suddenly glares and reflects back directly in my eyes as I'm looking straight down into the open floor panel. It was reflecting off the 6 inches of standing water under our false floor, that our cable soup was stewing in.

It's not often you get to power down your whole server room by holding down power buttons.

Cog on
  • Options

The worst day I had was at my first real admin position, when things were randomly going offline and sometimes coming back on all day. Switches, servers, switch ports, storage arrays, there was no real rhyme or reason to it. At one point I was trying to track down a single ethernet cable, and it ran into our cable rat's nest. This was seriously a 3 foot high, ~4x4 pile of cable spaghetti spilling up and out of two open floor panels in the datacenter. About half the things in the datacenter probably had a line into it, and that line may or may not have come back out. There were a lot of dead ends, a lot of it was wrapped, tentacle like, around power strips and loose rack PDUs. Some were plugged in and live, with production shit plugged into them, some were unplugged, but it was too much of a nightmare to extract them. It was a mess I inherited and never had the motivation to touch.

So while I'm tracing the line, with a flashlight, my light suddenly glares and reflects back directly in my eyes as I'm looking straight down into the open floor panel. It was reflecting off the 6 inches of standing water under our false floor, that our cable soup was stewing in.

It's not often you get to power down your whole server room by holding down power buttons.

Damn.

I would've crapped myself.

Other admin probably knew about that too, and jumped ship asap because he was already having a hard enough time trying to convince them to let him power down servers at all.

• Options
    edited October 2014

Damn.

I would've crapped myself.

Other admin probably knew about that too, and jumped ship asap because he was already having a hard enough time trying to convince them to let him power down servers at all.

The standing water was actually not a lingering issue, so while the cable spaghetti was on his head, the water wasn't. The cable just exacerbated the water issue... or vice versa. The drain for one of our bigass Liebert AC/Dehumidifers clogged. There's a catch pan that can hold some amount of the condensation run-off, and it has a kill switch triggered by the water weight reaching a certain limit in the catch pan. The kill switch, for whatever reason, didn't kill the unit when the pan filled up, so it started seeping over the pan, and slowly filling up under our false floor. There was, of course, a drain in the floor as well... The same one that the AC's drain hose fed into. You know, where the clog was. The clog? Dead rat.

Cog on
  • Options
    Literally a rat's nest of cables then.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    At least you didn't have an Indiana Jones moment when you wondered why the floor was moving.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    So I have a solid line on a purely network job vs a jack of all windows admin networking everything trades job. And it would be working for a former boss who I know is EXTREMELY solid people. Vs my sitch now..... which is i was brought into be jr admin to the main guy fully responsible admin.... and turns out I am the only admin while papers are pushed.... and its paranoid and horrific atmosphere. :/ Anyhoo.

But its some BGP routing to a bunch of remote locations. I'm a CCNA and live in switches and routers happily- but never did BGP other than books and sims....

Seems easy enough, and its a position they are creating meaning they have done it in house prior. Any gotchas? Is it easy enough to pick up for someone familiar with the hardware and EIgrp and crap assed RIp?

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    So I have a solid line on a purely network job vs a jack of all windows admin networking everything trades job. And it would be working for a former boss who I know is EXTREMELY solid people. Vs my sitch now..... which is i was brought into be jr admin to the main guy fully responsible admin.... and turns out I am the only admin while papers are pushed.... and its paranoid and horrific atmosphere. :/ Anyhoo.

But its some BGP routing to a bunch of remote locations. I'm a CCNA and live in switches and routers happily- but never did BGP other than books and sims....

Seems easy enough, and its a position they are creating meaning they have done it in house prior. Any gotchas? Is it easy enough to pick up for someone familiar with the hardware and EIgrp and crap assed RIp?

IMO, from where it sounds like you're at, BGP is a natural progression for you, learning wise. I have no doubts that if you understand RIP and EIGRP fairly well (and can implement it) that you can pick up BGP. The caveat here is that BGP can be extremely complex. Most situations do not require the complexity that it can offer, but it's hard to say for sure without knowing exactly what the use-case is in the job you're looking towards. In my current role (I'm a CCNP R&S doing customer network design/delivery), 90% of our BPG implementations are dead simple.

Short answer: It sounds like you can get there very easily with a bit of learning/studying. It's a good next step. If you think it'll be an improvement, go for it.

• Options
    Dear Dell,

No I do not want to renew my service contract on 6 year old PC towers.

Love,
    Bowen

• Options
    Speak for yourself. I wouldn't mind delaying purchasing new equipment so long as they were willing to send parts out at no cost other than the initial support price. I spend about $850 on each computer to ensure that it will last at least 5 years with little impact to the user once the end-of-life nears. The whole reason we pull usable machines off the desks is because if something dies, we don't have a warranty to cover it.

• Options
    Supporting core2duo can suck my ass. Ain't no one want to use those anyways. They're strictly in place for people who need workstation but can't be assed to go to their desk halfway across the building.

• Options
    Fair enough.

Anyone have any thoughts (pros/cons) on BitLocker? We're considering upgrading the laptops from Win7 Pro to Ultimate to use BitLocker to encrypt their HDDs.

• Options
    donavannjdonavannj Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    We use refurbed Core 2 Duos for most of our Windows 7 boxes, though they do have 4 GB of RAM. Don't really need much more than that for most of our users, and the model consistency is nice from a support standpoint. Plus, it frees up more budget for other equipment, like better servers and touchscreen MSDS stations and an iPhone 6 for everyone and their mother.

Don't have any thoughts on BitLocker as we don't use it and I've only got Windows 7 Pro as my home license.

donavannj on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Bitlocker is better than nothing.

But if you want to do it right you need what was PGP desktop, now Symantec Encryption Desktop and the Symantec Encryption Management Server

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Bitlocker is better than nothing.

But if you want to do it right you need what was PGP desktop, now Symantec Encryption Desktop and the Symantec Encryption Management Server

Chetan Sevade thanks you for your recommendation.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    25 minutes to setup a service ticket? What the hell, Dell???

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    Hey guys.

major phone project night.

I give the tech a show cdp neighbors for a measly 2 switches at an external location so that I and the project manager for the phone folks can go and do the main building. Only move the cables from the ports that say IP phones to the new switch.

Its in black and white. like 30 cable moves tops. He's an engineer with the phone folks.

Welp. That was too much to ask. he panic-ed after realizing he just moved our core switch (for that loc) around vs the one he was supposed to. Started moving everything around with zero time in the configs. Just plugging and un plugging. In a 10-13 year old closest that's an unholy unlabeled mess. if I had not labeled all my trunks very very well they would have moved too.

We were on pace for a like a 2 hour cut over. Now we dont even have a network.

Many hours later the only thing visible to the userbase is that 1 of 2 wifi hotspots is down and 1 xerox is down (but its a xerox issue)

Moved all to a new subnet and got it all working. I'm so tired.

You think the company fires that engineer? his lead tech was debating it.

pop for "fired, so fired"
    Snap for "rookie mistake":

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Was the engineer a kid? And by that I mean 25ish and still learning the job? If so, then no, he should not be fired. That is his one major catastrophic mistake that he gets and will hopefully learn from (at your expense).

• Options
    I agree! Infact i relayed that exact thing to manager guy when asked.

But Hes an older dude... not in it as a career long.