Options

[Battleborn] Out Now! Go Do Badass Type Stuff!

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Was playing a match the other night. One of the guys was asking all about the characters and who was good. We got in the game and he was all like "wait this is a shooter?" The whole time he thought he was about to play a MOBA.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    So played the story mode by myself with that Oriano guy. Okay, that was painful, def. not a solo game.

It's absolutely a solo game. That's how I played it and I had a ton of fun.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Was playing a match the other night. One of the guys was asking all about the characters and who was good. We got in the game and he was all like "wait this is a shooter?" The whole time he thought he was about to play a MOBA.

Well, it is a MOBA.

• Options
    jothki wrote: »

Well, it is a MOBA.

One mode sort of is. The rest isn't.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    I had a surprising amount of fun with this game over the course of the weekend. I went in without expectations of much more than a character driven Monday Night Combat. It turns out they got some pretty good voicework and animations going on. I can't speak for the character balance but there was only one character I consistently thought did not belong in a game like this. (Marquis is ridiculous) The map isn't super-fancy but it has a little bit to it that I'm sure they could expand on. While I didn't enjoy the single player that much, I could see how it might be fun eventually. I enjoyed Gigantic while I could play it, (not upgrading to Windows 10 for that) and while the style is similar, the gameplay feels a lot more solid with Battleborn.

Gearbox has a pretty mixed record and it's retailing at way too high a price. There are also a few "invisible wall" moments and a few exploits and such on the maps. The physics and bounding boxes on the characters need work. It's gone from a pretty solid ignore to something I will be keeping an eye on.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I had a thought while playing Incursion. Wouldn't it make sense for the instant timeout to instead be a sudden death where the sentries march towards the center and open fire on each other?

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    So played the story mode by myself with that Oriano guy. Okay, that was painful, def. not a solo game.

Then it's not for me. The shooting aspect is not compelling at all and even trash mobs take too long to kill for the # they throw out at you. It's just a slog, which would be somewhat forgivable if the shooting was fun.

Lilnoobs on
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's not for everyone. and I doubt that every character can make it through the solo campaign in a fun way. I tried the 1st mission solo with galaleia, and boy howdy that was painful. I actually quit when I got to ISIC because he walked so much it was annoying to try to hit the weakspots. That was AFTER Geoff bugged and was stuck above the arena and so I had to THROW MY SHIELD at him for 5 minutes to whittle his health low enough to provoke phase 3.

that being said, I've gotten a 20 kill streak with Marquis (robot sniper), Galelia, Ambra (who is most overpowered with speed boosts), and Miko. This game is fun. If you're on a semi decent team.

• Options
    AcidCatAcidCat Registered User regular
    This game is fun. If you're on a semi decent team.

Yep. I was fully prepared to let this game fly under my radar, then I started playing the beta. Couple days later, I was thinking it was fun, but heck, Overwatch comes out the same month, I'm not made of money! Couple days later, my son is also digging it, I figure the world won't end if I buy both! Not a huge fan of the story missions but I find the PvP modes quite addicting.

• Options
    madspookymadspooky San Antonio, TXRegistered User regular
    "This game is fun if you are on a semi decent team" is pretty much how you can explain any MOBA. No MOBAs are fun when you are surrounded by people who have no interesting in playing the game to win.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular

I'll grab it when it's a bit cheaper, and play through the single campaign.

I really liked the gentleman sniper character, and I like the loot upgrade aspect.

Pretty funny, too, if you can catch all the dialogue in between the mayhem.

• Options
    yeah, with the pre-order Overwatch thing, I'm very afraid the flavor on this game is gonna get chomped. That being said, i bought it anyways.

• Options
    NinyuNinyu Registered User regular
    This comes out tomorrow and the thread slips to the fourth page? That doesn't really bode well.

"It would be cool if you lived with a monster, you would never get hiccups." - Mitch Hedburg
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Ninyu wrote: »
    This comes out tomorrow and the thread slips to the fourth page? That doesn't really bode well.

Why? The game's not out, that's all. Most people are over playing Overwatch; personally I think this is better tho.

They really picked a bad time to release it.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Ninyu wrote: »

Why? The game's not out, that's all. Most people are over playing Overwatch; personally I think this is better tho.

They really picked a bad time to release it.

I have to agree. I do actually like this game. And if it was released last year I would have gotten some great play time out of it. But I do really like Overwatch and time and money are kind of against Battleborn. Even though I think they could reasonably exist separately in what itch they scratch for players. The fact is its still just a bit too close and simply an awful time to release.

• Options
    Dogbone33Dogbone33 I bleed Red and Gold! State of ConfusionRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I enjoyed the beta quite a bit. Pretty excited to play tomorrow. I'm dogbone19 on the ps4 if anyone wants to group up sometime. I'm mediocre at the game but at least I play to win.

Edit-the prologue is fantastic. I got a real Heavy Metal vibe from it. I dug it

Dogbone33 on
    Play Diablo 3 RoS with me. PSN-Dogbone19

Play Fanduel. One Day Fantasy Leagues use my referral

Be my friend on Magic Online! Dogbone19 is me.
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I'll be playing this on the Xbox One. Gamertag same as username here.

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Hey Gearbox, you know what's super fucking irritating? An unskippable 5 minute opening cinematic. Why are you doing this to me?

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I got this on a whim because it had a campaign mode and loot.
    Only did the opening level and the first mission (which was surprisingly long), but I'm digging it so far. Ready to get home from work already >:(

EDIT - playing on Steam, user: vamenn

vamen on
  • Options
    Yeah. Overwatch definitely chomping this guys flavor. So bad that overwatch beta came out 5 hours earlier. So hard to pull people away from that to play this. Did the opening bit. Tried to get into a game, failed miserably. The gold suits are shiny.

Love that you get one for a character that's not even unlocked yet.

• Options
    Yeah. Overwatch definitely chomping this guys flavor. So bad that overwatch beta came out 5 hours earlier. So hard to pull people away from that to play this. Did the opening bit. Tried to get into a game, failed miserably. The gold suits are shiny.

Yeah I can't recall another instance of a game being out-marketed and outmaneuvered as hard as Overwatch is doing with Battleborn right now. It's a shame, but Gearbox could have/should have known better on so many levels.

• Options

Yeah I can't recall another instance of a game being out-marketed and outmaneuvered as hard as Overwatch is doing with Battleborn right now. It's a shame, but Gearbox could have/should have known better on so many levels.

Battleborn has a MUCH better roster and theme, like ridiculously so. Overwatch is incredibly tired looking and it's the same weird/built/animal male and objectified women.

And, really, they're different games. I'm kind of surprised that there even IS overlap in the audiences but then I guess the assumed MOBA label is driving away as many people as it's attracting.

• Options

Battleborn has a MUCH better roster and theme, like ridiculously so. Overwatch is incredibly tired looking and it's the same weird/built/animal male and objectified women.

And, really, they're different games. I'm kind of surprised that there even IS overlap in the audiences but then I guess the assumed MOBA label is driving away as many people as it's attracting.

Well, there are probably a fair amount of people avoiding it because they either think it's a "just another hero shooter, and not as good as Overwatch" or "a MOBA, and fuck MOBAs." Gearbox hasn't done a good job effectively communicating what this game actually is, and that's kind of a problem when trying to convince people to drop $60 on what most people would assume would/should be a F2P game with microtransactions.

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I have this on PS4 if anyone wants to add me.

And how about that animated intro? Damn that was incredible.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    it's not that there's overlap. it's that there are 2 $60 FPS and one of them is from blizzard. And oh, hey, if you pre order THIS WEEK you get to play the whole week for free. I am also on PS4. Holyground180

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Overwatch is $40.

• Options
    edited May 2016

Well, there are probably a fair amount of people avoiding it because they either think it's a "just another hero shooter, and not as good as Overwatch" or "a MOBA, and fuck MOBAs." Gearbox hasn't done a good job effectively communicating what this game actually is, and that's kind of a problem when trying to convince people to drop $60 on what most people would assume would/should be a F2P game with microtransactions.

I'm going to play Overwatch as well, but I have a feeling in the end I'll enjoy BB more. Having a campaign and loot certainly helps. I think a pure arena shooter like Overwatch will wear then pretty fast for me. These days I'm hard to keep entertained unless a shooter has big, sprawling maps like Battlefield games. And the little I've played Overwatch, the levels felt quite small and the matches really short and hard to feel invested in.
    So far, BB is scratching an itch I didn't know I had.

Though I will say that until I impulse bought BB, I thought it and Overwatch were the exact same type of game. And honestly I'm still not sure of how different they are yet, really. Right now they still feel like they occupy a very similar space. I'm sure I'll be able to tell more when I get some more play time in.

vamen on
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    From the beta it was also hard to tell how quickly the pvp would get stale. Curious if someone knows how many maps there are and how varied

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    Echo wrote: »
    Overwatch is $40.

Only on PC :?

• Options
    It's a shame that Battleborn is dead on arrival. Really it's entirely the fault of Gearbox. Whoever thought it would be a good idea to release this so close to Overwatch needs to be fired. Whoever thought this should be a $60 release is insane. I had a ton of fun with the Beta, but no where near $60 fun. If I wasn't sure the game was already dead, I would consider getting it in a few months when it's $30.

• Options
    there are 3 modes. Conquest, Invasion and meltdown. When I queued conquest, it gave me 2 map options. However, it kicked me out of the game before it started and it was 2am at that point.

• Options
    Overwatch is $40.

well, the non-origins edition. but you don't get the pre-beta beta with that nor the "cool shit" that comes with it.

• Options
    Overwatch is $40.

well, the non-origins edition. but you don't get the pre-beta beta with that nor the "cool shit" that comes with it.

All that "cool shit" is for other games. IDK why anyone would buy it.

• Options
    It's a shame that Battleborn is dead on arrival. Really it's entirely the fault of Gearbox. Whoever thought it would be a good idea to release this so close to Overwatch needs to be fired. Whoever thought this should be a $60 release is insane. I had a ton of fun with the Beta, but no where near $60 fun. If I wasn't sure the game was already dead, I would consider getting it in a few months when it's $30.

Way to be That Guy :D

That said, it would probably be in Gearbox's best interest to get in PS Plus or do a free weekend on Steam asap just to get some exposure. Talking to high profile streamers would also help, but they should have been doing that months ago anyway.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Might be a smidge too early to call Battleborn "dead on arrival"... like, wat? Game has just as much, if not more, content as any other full release $60 game so I don't get the "Why would they release this at $60?" thing either...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Personally my gripe is selling it at full retail price and then have a F2P-style grind to unlock characters to play.

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    Overwatch is $40.

All that "cool shit" is for other games. IDK why anyone would buy it.

Amazon Prime discount?

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Overwatch is $40.

The forty version got you in the early beta as well, it's just cosmetics and other games

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    Personally my gripe is selling it at full retail price and then have a F2P-style grind to unlock characters to play.

That's my favorite part about it. I like F2P EXCEPT for the F2P. This is the same gameplay without having to spend money other then the initial cost of the game.

• Options
    edited May 2016

That's my favorite part about it. I like F2P EXCEPT for the F2P. This is the same gameplay without having to spend money other then the initial cost of the game.

I like that part too, personally. Though I can certainly see it being a bummer if you had your heart set on a specific character right away. But it reminds me of older games where you could unlock significant content just by playing the game and not by paying $3. The unlock system is right up my alley. Costumes, taunts, whole characters? Yes, please. I like having things like that to look forward to.

vamen on