As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Battleborn] Out Now! Go Do Badass Type Stuff!

Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
edited May 2016 in Games and Technology
So, I guess Gearbox is sticking with what they know for their new IP. Multiplayer co-op/competitive shooter with a sci-fi/fantasy theme called Battleborn.

Reveal Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3pgQc17JB0&feature=youtu.be

Battleborn is a next-gen hero-shooter brought to you by the creators of the award-winning and best-selling Borderlands franchise. In Battleborn’s distant future, the only hope for the last star in a dying universe is a new breed of warriors, who must put aside their differences to drive back an unstoppable menace. Choose from a myriad of powerful heroes and fight together alongside your friends in an intense co-operative campaign, or battle against them in fast-paced competitive multiplayer matches.
Gearbox Software became a household name for gamers last generation with the hit Borderlands series. Borderlands was an experience gamers didn't even know they wanted, wrapping a fusion of first-person shooting and loot-grabbing RPG elements in a living comic book art style. Gearbox wants to change your perception of genres once again with Battleborn, a new IP being published by 2K for the Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC.

Battleborn takes the minion smashing and fast leveling often associated with MOBAs and injects it into an intergalactic first-person battle arena. The game's dramatic story assembles a universe's worth of disparate heroes, from an immortal samurai to a minigun-wielding giant, all battling over the last star in the cosmos. The absurd premise blows open the doors for creativity, allowing the innovative minds at Gearbox to create a tremendous rogue's gallery of playable characters.

We visited Gearbox's studio in Plano, Texas to talk with the developers about Battleborn and play the first announced competitive match type for Game Informer's August cover story. We played hours of Incursion, an inventive 5 vs. 5 mode that combines fast-paced first-person gameplay with the strategic team-based elements of games like League of Legends and Dota 2. Rival battleborn hunt one another in lush jungles and arid deserts while robotic NPC minions wage an ongoing tug-of-war. Players start on a level playing field at the beginning of each match, progressing along a streamlined skill path up to level 20 filled with customizable abilities that unlock a variety of different play styles. Many of these gameplay elements will also bleed into Battleborn's five-player cooperative campaign, which Gearbox isn't saying much about yet.

Gearbox's unique universal apocalypse premise pulls together a ton of unlockable playable heroes that not only look wildly different, but control like they're from entirely different first-person games. The consummate space marine feels like he's been ripped from any modern shooter. A spry elven huntress leaps far above other players' heads and rains down volleys of deadly arrows, evoking memories of high fantasy heroes. Imagine an archetype you've always wanted to pit against another in a first-person shooter, and that's the dream Gearbox is bringing to life.

Battleborn is an exciting new IP, and there's a lot of cool stuff to talk about with this retail release, including the huge cast of characters, rivaling factions, and Gearbox's signature sense of humor. We discuss it all and more in our 12-page cover story, which is packed with gorgeous screenshots, hands-on impressions, and exclusive details straight from Gearbox

Game sounds like it could be fun, and it has a nice colorful artstyle.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
Skull2185 on

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Looks interesting. I can't think of any other FPS MOBAs, so this might fill a fun niche.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Monday Night Combat was a super fun TPS MOBA type game. The 360 community dried up pretty quick, though. I imagine that I wont run into that issue on PS4.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Monday Night Combat was a super fun TPS MOBA type game. The 360 community dried up pretty quick, though. I imagine that I wont run into that issue on PS4.

What makes you think that? I believe the 360 had a pretty massive playerbase at that time. Much more than the PS4 is/will be when this comes out.

Either way I'll do the 'wait-and-see' approach. I don't really have much faith in GB like I used to (pre DNF and BL2).

• UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    There's also SMITE.

It would be interesting if the genre can take off on consoles. However, the key feature of the genre is rapid iteration and balancing. I don't think either Gearbox or consoles are great in that regard.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    They also made Super Monday Night Combat, which leaned more on the moba side of things, but they shot themselves in the arm with a variety of blunders (and a seriously toxic core of beta testers).

SMNC didn't even survive six months post-launch before the community dried up. Such a waste.

YL9WnCY.png
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Who is in charge of the plot? Neumann or Burch?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    I'm very interested. Monday Night Combat hit a certain place. A certain itch. Especially since I was good at it (I was ranked less than 200 global at one point /brag). It was great. Another shooter moba would be fantastic.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    This game looks promising. I 'm hoping for a strong multiplayer as well as a strong co op.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    So it's Borderlands the MOBA?
    I can really only respond with meh.

edited July 2014
    Yesterday we unveiled Battleborn as our August cover story. Gearbox describes their new game as a "hero shooter," but the hive-mind of the Internet oversimplified it as "another MOBA." While visiting the studio in Plano, Texas, we spoke with design director John Mulkey and creative director Randy Varnell about comparing the game to the MOBA genre and what separates the two in their minds. We talk about the variety of modes that'll be available in Battleborn, how embracing first-person action has shaped the game, and we wring out as much as they can tell us about their vision for the game's co-operative campaign.

And a link to the video on the GI website. Can't watch it cause I'm at work =/

Skull2185 on
  • AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    The first rule of MOBA club is Your trailer must be identical to every single other MOBA trailer ever released.

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    You lost me at MOBA.

It looks neat otherwsie. Loved the clockwork sniper robot.

• BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    The trailer didn't really get me excited. Randy Pitchfork's tweets however did.

I have been clamoring for a FPS MOBA for awhile now, albeit I'd prefer such a thing in a *Modern Military Setting*, with two AI armies clashing against each other, and players spending their earnings on vehicle spawns and upgrading gear. Like what a Battlefield MOBA would play like. That could be great. I'd much rather have something like a Battlefield MOBA mode than the regular singleplayer campaign. I know lots of guys at DICE are MOBA fans, so here's me hoping.

So while the trailer did little for me, I'm pretty excited by the premise of a *Heroes FPS*.

• UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Some co-op, pre-alpha gameplay
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvUSd70QM3c

It seems like more of the same Gearbox/Borderlands gameplay. Maybe multiplayer would be different

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

What makes you think that? I believe the 360 had a pretty massive playerbase at that time. Much more than the PS4 is/will be when this comes out.

Either way I'll do the 'wait-and-see' approach. I don't really have much faith in GB like I used to (pre DNF and BL2).

I think the 360 problem was mostly due to Microsoft giving them the massive shaft and delaying a fairly crucial balance patch for months due to "certification."

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    So if this was another company involved, I'd say the visual resemblance here to Gigantic was entirely coincidental, buuuut this is the same company that's outright ripped off other people's work and flat-out shat on IPs and deceived consumers for the sake of their pet projects.

At least the games look like they play entirely differently, so no real chance of them just blatantly ripping off another game. But Gearbox is run by scuzzy enough people anyway that that's enough to kill my interest in their products, original or otherwise.

Ninja Snarl P on
    Ha, I made this thread and promptly forgot about the game...

That gameplay footage looks pretty sweet, though! Back on my radar!

Also, Guilty Gear had a sort of FPS moba a long time ago.

latest?cb=20100128003017

I thought it was awesome but I was terrible at it.

Oh yeah, I remember that game!

Also, if someone is interested in making a new thread, go right ahead. I'm probably not going to update anything...heh. If anyone's even interested in this game.

Where did this game disappear to?

oHw5R0V.jpg
    I just saw an article put up today where they played some of the single player stuff and said it was really cool so it's still coming.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2015/06/17/battleborn-s-story-mode-is-more-like-borderlands-than-you-think.aspx

I guess they had an E3 trailer too. Who knew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaeZ9dbhYVA

edited June 2015
    Magic Pink on
    Totally gonna go combat botanist

I'm not quite sure what game to look forward to: Overwatch, or this game.

I know they are completely different type of games, but they share many traits.

oHw5R0V.jpg
    Itsn't Overwatch a dedicated MOBA tho?

It's a team based FPS that's a lot like TF2, but with more classes.

oHw5R0V.jpg
    Roe wrote: »
    It's a team based FPS that's a lot like TF2, but with more classes.

So like Garden Warfare?

edited June 2015
    oh I remember that

yeah I don't want that.

Magic Pink on
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Video from 2K's youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUa0VH48mPI

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
    So the Closed Tech Test is Oct 29th. Did anyone get in?

• BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    In a world where Overwatch exists, and with 99.9% certainty will be free to play - I don't understand how Battleborn is a 60$ retail box on a shelve. Other than that, it looks pretty neat, though I think the TTK (time to kill) seems crazy high, practically as seen in WoWish MMO PvP - and I'm not sure if I like that in a shooter. Competitive online multiplayer FPS, Bullet-Sponge-Edition. I would give it a shot, if it was free to play. At 60$ though? Not a snowball's chance in hell.

I am however anxiously peeking into my mailbox every day, to see if Blizzard let's me play Overwatch already.

BranniganSepp on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    So the Closed Tech Test is Oct 29th. Did anyone get in?

I don't think so, unfortunately. I filled out their test form twice so I thought for sure I was getting in, but I haven't heard back yet.

• RedthirstRedthirst Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Can someone even say that he got a key? Didn't fully read the NDA, but it seems rather strict.

As for 60$ retail price, I haven't checked it, but are you sure that it's just a game? Maybe it's some sort of deluxe edition that has some extra shit in it?

Redthirst on
    steam_sig.png
    Haven't been keeping up with it, but last I heard the game will have full solo campaign, co-op, and competitive modes. Also there appears to be quite a few characters to choose from. Not sure why it's surprising that a full game is releasing at the standard retail price.

edited October 2015
    Redthirst wrote: »
    As for 60$ retail price, I haven't checked it, but are you sure that it's just a game? Maybe it's some sort of deluxe edition that has some extra shit in it?

Well, locally (Switzerland) it's actually 79 CHF, which is more like 80$, so yeah, Battleborn's business model seems to be that it's just your regular full price AAA release, which traditionally is 60$ in the US, so that's why I said that.

I find it an odd fit for Battleborn. All the successful *Hero-type* games usually go with a free to play scheme, with a free hero rotation, and selling heroes and skins and XP-doublers for monetization. That's not the path Battleborn goes down apparently. It's quite baffling, to be frank.

I faintly remember that info hitting the gaming news circuit a while back too.

BranniganSepp on
    edited October 2015
    In a world where Overwatch exists, and with 99.9% certainty will be free to play - I don't understand how Battleborn is a 60$ retail box on a shelve.

because, personally, Overwatch looks generic and boring as hell and free to play just means "awful online community".

I'll take Battleborn any day; the characters are goofy crazy.

edit: oh the far more important fact that Battleborn has single player and co-op. Online PVP games are nothing short of nightmarish for me.

Magic Pink on
  • RedthirstRedthirst Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    In a world where Overwatch exists, and with 99.9% certainty will be free to play - I don't understand how Battleborn is a 60$ retail box on a shelve.

because, personally, Overwatch looks generic and boring as hell and free to play just means "awful online community".

I'll take Battleborn any day; the characters are goofy crazy.

edit: oh the far more important fact that Battleborn has single player and co-op. Online PVP games are nothing short of nightmarish for me.

Yeah, but they are still going to clash with Overwatch, since a lot of people are hyped for it. Though it's possible that Battleborn will focus on co-op first and PvP second, meaning that they will attract different kinda of audience.

steam_sig.png