As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nobody Expects the [SCOTUS] 5-4 Decision! (Read the OP)

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Judge Posner best Posner.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Musicool wrote: »
    American judgments are much less formally written than judgments here in Australia. Both have their pros and cons.

But one of the big pros for your way of doing things is that when a judge is mad at some bullshit they can just fill their judgment in bile and passive aggression. It makes for better reading material.

This particular Judge is kinda famous for writing stuff like this. Not all judges have such...personality in their opinions.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Viskod wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote: »
    "If they really find this command unclear, the state's lawyers should investigate a popular product called 'Hooked on Phonics'".

Oh my god.

I want to send this judge a gift basket.

That's not an actual quote from the opinion.

It is, however, a pretty accurate summary :)

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    And I still want to send them a gift basket regardless.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    The most interesting thing to me about Posner's opinion is how little it relies on Windsor. He talks about it in asides at the beginning and end, but the bulk of his reason is traditional overinclusive/underinclusive analysis.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2014
    Musicool wrote: »
    American judgments are much less formally written than judgments here in Australia. Both have their pros and cons.

One of the big pros for your way of doing things is that when a judge is mad at some bullshit they can just fill their judgment in bile and passive aggression. It makes for better reading material.

My favorites are the opinions written as poetry.

Edit: Or better yet:

http://lawhaha.com/strange-judicial-opinions/poetic-judges/

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/supreme-court-ohio-early-voting-cutbacks

SCOTUS rules Ohio can restrict early voting. 5-4, surprise!

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Look we can't have too much voting going on!

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

Let me guess: Anything besides the first tuesday of november is a voting luxury and so there is no constitutional requirement to make early or absentee voting even and available for everyone.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

Let me guess: Anything besides the first tuesday of november is a voting luxury and so there is no constitutional requirement to make early or absentee voting even and available for everyone.

Nothing yet, they just lifted the injunction.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Seriously, fuck this court. I would be so happy when one of the five fucking shitheads on it is gone, assuming the fucker doesn't get replaced by an equally shitty human being.

Upside, there is still some hope for Ohio. The lower courts can still rule the law unconstitutional.

• Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    You all make it sound like Ohio prohibits early voting. That's not the case here. Instead Ohio reduced the early voting time frame from 35 days to 28 days. Thus, early voting will start on October 7, rather than on September 30.

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I mean, I like early voting and anything that makes voting easier, but there's no constitutional right to early voting so...

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    hsu wrote: »
    You all make it sound like Ohio prohibits early voting. That's not the case here. Instead Ohio reduced the early voting time frame from 35 days to 28 days. Thus, early voting will start on October 7, rather than on September 30.

If my memory is correct, It's not when it starts that is a problem but the specific time of day they allow early voting to happen (8-5, M-F, No weekends [you know, when people who live paycheck-to-paycheck generally aren't available]) and the state wont allow the local election officials to be open any longer if demand calls for it.

It always amazes me how the party of small government really really likes it's government to be big and imposing.

Veevee on
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    In addition to what Veevee said, I also don't like how this is bringing an effective change that restricts voting so close to the elections. It's within one day of when Ohioans would been able to go the polls to vote.

It's pretty fucking sad that it looks like this country needs an amendment that explicitly states, "in order ensure fair elections, there will be no fucking bullshit changes that restrict voting 100 days of normally schedules elections." Of course, if we could ever get that on the books, we should totally, also include that if someone wants to restrict voting, they can pass the law (assuming it's constitutional), but it can't go into a effect until four years later. That way, next time, when the voters decided to fucking fail and send the next tea party/fucking-hypocritical-moral-majority into office, well the ratfuckers will have to win more than one election before they can even hope to have a shot making any restrictive voting measures stick (also four years should be plenty for people to prepare and make sure they can work around any restrictions that might stick).

If this court had any fucking sense, they should have stated that it's too close to the elections to lift the injunction. Granted if they had any fucking sense, we wouldn't have gotten CU, Hobby Lobby or a partial gutting of the VRA.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    I mean, I like early voting and anything that makes voting easier, but there's no constitutional right to early voting so...

There's no constitutional right to voting period. Just prohibitions on specific restrictions to exercising the franchise. But seeing how voting is the bedrock upon which self government rests...

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

There's no constitutional right to voting period. Just prohibitions on specific restrictions to exercising the franchise. But seeing how voting is the bedrock upon which self government rests...

Sure.

But since that's not what SCOTUS is

Never mind.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Actually no that's bullshit.

There are voting rights enumerated in the constitution.

Early voting isn't one of them. In my opinion it should be, but you'd really need a wide lens to find this thing unconstitutional, even if it is fucking stupid.

Sorry.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Actually no that's bullshit.

There are voting rights enumerated in the constitution.

Early voting isn't one of them. In my opinion it should be, but you'd really need a wide lens to find this thing unconstitutional, even if it is fucking stupid.

Sorry.

There are prohibitions on restrictions to voting enumerated in the Constitution. Everything else is set by statute.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    That implies a right to vote. It does not imply a right to early vote or online vote or vote by mail or even voting in person.

We can't just pretend the constitution says things because it pleases us to.

It's not the bible.

AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    It implies a right to access to the ballot, which many people functionally do not have. Early voting, particularly weekend early voting, is a good remedy to this problem.

But yes, we should make the guarantee explicit.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    That implies a right to vote. It does not imply a right to early vote or online vote or vote by mail or even voting in person.

It's not the bible.

It is implicit, but not enumerated. Which is why there are numerous restrictions on the right of US citizens to cast a ballot that have survived a Court challenge. I find that to be reprehensible because of the very implicit nature of the importance of voting in participatory self government.

• Options
    So do I but until that's changed this court decision neither surprises nor makes me believe in a vast right wing conspiracy.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

It's not the bible.

It is implicit, but not enumerated. Which is why there are numerous restrictions on the right of US citizens to cast a ballot that have survived a Court challenge. I find that to be reprehensible because of the very implicit nature of the importance of voting in participatory self government.

Remember, the constitution did not set up a system focused on ease of access for the common man AT ALL. Direct elections of senators and the president are later innovations, and, quite frankly, kludges that don't work well. The founding fathers absolutely did not believe that the ability of individuals to vote was the foundation of legitimacy.

• Options

It's not the bible.

Remember, the constitution did not set up a system focused on ease of access for the common man AT ALL. Direct elections of senators and the president are later innovations, and, quite frankly, kludges that don't work well. The founding fathers absolutely did not believe that the ability of individuals to vote was the foundation of legitimacy.

Yeah, they were fundamentally wrong about a lot of stuff, which isn't all that surprising considering. And right about a lot of things as well, fortunately.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    This is true. The Constitution was created for white male landowners. Everyone else had to bleed for it.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

It's not the bible.

Yeah, they were fundamentally wrong about a lot of stuff, which isn't all that surprising considering. And right about a lot of things as well, fortunately.

I agree, but, unfortunately the court is not approaching these issues from a good governance standpoint because that is not the standpoint the document adopts.

• Options
    Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    I wonder if you might do a thing to voting laws like they do for Congressional pay: no changes to voting rules can go into effect until after an election has passed.

Of course, I have no idea if the 27th Amendment has had the desired impact on Congress raising their own pay, so maybe not.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    who cares what the founding fathers thought regarding our modern society?

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »

Scalia

• Options
    edited September 2014

Scalia

eh.gif

moniker on
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

Scalia

Ah, Scalia.
    The court therefore agrees with the portion of Justice Scalia’s dissenting opinion in Lawrence in which Justice Scalia stated that the Court’s reasoning logically extends to protect an individual’s right to marry a person of the same sex:
    Today’s opinion dismantles the structure of constitutional law that has permitted a distinction to be made between heterosexual and homosexual unions, insofar as formal recognition in marriage is concerned. If moral disapprobation of homosexual conduct is “no legitimate state interest” for purposes of proscribingthat conduct, . . . what justification could there possibly be for denying the benefits of marriage to homosexual couples exercising “the liberty protected by the Constitution”?

Id. at 604-05 (Scalia, J., dissenting) (citations omitted).The Supreme Court’s decision in Lawrence removed the only ground—moral disapproval—on which the State could have at one time relied to distinguish the rights of gay and lesbian individuals from the rights of heterosexual individuals.

My favorite Judge.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    This is one of those prime examples of how Constitution worship is insane.

Aside from the near-deification of a document in and of itself.

• Options

It's not the bible.

I agree, but, unfortunately the court is not approaching these issues from a good governance standpoint because that is not the standpoint the document adopts.

Except that the Constitution is not the end all be all document. Like I said, the Constitution itself is silent on the right to vote so long as certain restrictions are not imposed. Everything else is decided by statute. And the Voting Rights Act is a pretty good statute. The Ohio law arguably disproportionately targets and affects minority groups in a variety of ways which would run afoul of Section 2.

• Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    14 states do not allow early voting at all, including my blue state of Massachusetts and its blue neighbors New York, Connecticut, and Rhode Island.

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    hsu wrote: »
    14 states do not allow early voting at all, including my blue state of Massachusetts and its blue neighbors New York, Connecticut, and Rhode Island.

11 States won't allow felons to vote without the issuance of a pardon.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

me

• Options
    spool32 wrote: »

me

I'll admit I would like to see Ben Franklin tell ComEd to go fuck itself.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

me

I'll admit I would like to see Ben Franklin tell ComEd to go fuck itself.

Man, Ben Franklin born again would be boss.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Scalia

eh.gif

Haha, sorry, I thought the question was "Who thinks they know what the founding fathers think regarding our modern society?"

This discussion has been closed.