As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dark Souls] 3: "Everything is designed to kill you."

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Tseldora is such a small area. There's like nothing to remember. Enter from the chapel, turn right to go downstairs. Jump off ledge to go to various other downstairs areas/other side with entrance to boss...

(Yes, I am totally trivializing it, but man, it's so small...)

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Small but value packed!

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Small but value packed!

So, I read that sentence, and for a second thought it was an inspirational skeleton message, then got sad when I realized it wasn't.

The inspirational skeleton messages are the best running joke for messages in DS2.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    My issue with Tseldora is that it's ugly and has annoying enemies. It's not difficult, it doesn't have Blight Town's framerate issues, or anything like that...it's just ugly and full of enemies that are sort of annoying but not particularly dangerous.

Shrine of Amana is the other area of the game I'm not a huge fan of, but at least it's a gorgeous area.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Robes wrote: »
    *stares at his previous post*
    Yes.

Yes I read your post Morninglord :P I'll even agree with it <3 100 agi pump attunement to roll like a boss.

Don't worry, I have yet to figure out what I said that he's trying to refute, since he basically just said what I said. Get to 100 agi, do it using Attunement and Adaptation, don't go overboard on Adaptation you won't need it in the long run. I'm reading his post trying to figure out what I said he's trying to refute.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    Tseldora textures are amazingly bad

am I playing Tenchu on ps1?

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Wow, sorcerer is easy compared to playing melee dudes in the first game. All I have to do is pewpewpew and they give you a generous amount of spell shots to carry.

The downside is I am killed in 2 hits by the zombies carrying lances. Can't roll away fast enough.

• Options
    Also, since I'm playing for the first time, I'm checking every bloodstain I run across to see how other players died and I feel 95% of those deaths are people falling off of cliffs and ledges. I assume there's an inner-ear problem going around in Majula.

• Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Also, since I'm playing for the first time, I'm checking every bloodstain I run across to see how other players died and I feel 95% of those deaths are people falling off of cliffs and ledges. I assume there's an inner-ear problem going around in Majula.

You are correct.

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    *grumble* Bosses spinning in place like they're standing on top of a record player is dumb.

Side note, Aava down to my 90 Agi, powerstanced greatswords character, and am working on getting the kitty brothers down.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Wow, sorcerer is easy compared to playing melee dudes in the first game. All I have to do is pewpewpew and they give you a generous amount of spell shots to carry.

The downside is I am killed in 2 hits by the zombies carrying lances. Can't roll away fast enough.

It starts easier, but I found a good solid melee focused build scales incredibly well for PvE, and teaches you good habits. In the end, I found my Sorc easy early game, and frustrating late, while I find most of my melee builds more difficulty early, but really fun and strong late.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Robes wrote: »
    *stares at his previous post*
    Yes.

Yes I read your post Morninglord :P I'll even agree with it <3 100 agi pump attunement to roll like a boss.

Don't worry, I have yet to figure out what I said that he's trying to refute, since he basically just said what I said. Get to 100 agi, do it using Attunement and Adaptation, don't go overboard on Adaptation you won't need it in the long run. I'm reading his post trying to figure out what I said he's trying to refute.

I wasn't really refuting anything you know.
    Not everything has to be an argument.

It'd be more accurate to say that what you said caused me to produce more detail and expound upon further aspects of the whole rolling defense thing (like roll length). That's it.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    If I ever pick the game back up again, I'll be unable to make a non 100 ago character. I'm just too used to the iframes. It is muscle memory at this point. Fume Knight burned it into my soul.

I don't know that I'll ever replay it, though. Probably the only Souls game I haven't burned out on is Demon's Souls, and that's just because it is so breakable and fun to fuck around with.

Hoping real hard that Bloodbourne is awesome.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular

I was wondering about a lot of bloodstains in places where there is really nothing around to kill you (I guess they have more enemies there in new game+ or it's PVP).

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    Dizzy D wrote: »

I was wondering about a lot of bloodstains in places where there is really nothing around to kill you (I guess they have more enemies there in new game+ or it's PVP).
    In Majula, it would be either suicide, or those damn pigs.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    omg, I fell off a ledge.

I am the 95%.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i'm pretty sure people actually try to get killed in weird places

how do you die in the bonfire room after a boss

• Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    i'm pretty sure people actually try to get killed in weird places

how do you die in the bonfire room after a boss
    depends on the boss. if it was one with poison or something, they might have run out of stuff and died to poison before they hit the bonfire?

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    activate it and see

if theyre flailing wildly with no rhyme or reason then die after their swinging ends its a bad pvper dying as nature intended

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    That actually makes me wonder.

SotfS , Next-Gen-Version Gameplay spoilers
    Since the next gen version of SotfS will enable enemies to enter boss rooms, does that mean other players will be able to do so as well...? Wouldn't strike me as that odd, the Mirror Knight fight already had it!

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options

Since the next gen version of SotfS will enable enemies to enter boss rooms, does that mean other players will be able to do so as well...? Wouldn't strike me as that odd, the Mirror Knight fight already had it!
    That's a thing it's doing? Holy shit, that sounds awful.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »

Last I heard, yeah. Another new thing:
    A (presumably NPC) "black" Phantom that invades you in any area you could normally be invaded. Has a specific loadout and appearantly drops new items.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    If a PVP phantom has a 10 foot long sword, can I parry that? Some punk keeps killing me and I can't seem to get an opening.

• Options
    Most weapons are parryable, yes. Just gotta get the timing.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    whips can't be parried, period

the two-handed movesets of ultra great weapons and curved greatswords are generally unparryable, but there are exceptions for running and rolling attacks, i think

• Options
    Hell, I couldn't beat him so I unplugged and took a break. I'm level 30 in a bell tower and he's/she's level infinity and kept invading again and again.

• Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Hell, I couldn't beat him so I unplugged and took a break. I'm level 30 in a bell tower and he's/she's level infinity and kept invading again and again.

Yeah it's really not hard for an experienced player to maximize their stats and upgrades at that point and farm new players in the bell tower. Fortunately that area is optional, so need need to worry about it.

• Options
    Deans wrote: »

Yeah it's really not hard for an experienced player to maximize their stats and upgrades at that point and farm new players in the bell tower. Fortunately that area is optional, so need need to worry about it.

No! I'm going to order a Charles Atlas' Guide to Muscles book, come back to the bell tower 20 levels later and show that bully what's what. I am not letting Dark Souls get the better of me!

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    what i dislike about tseldora is how easy it is your first time through to get in a situation where you cannot get back up to a bonfire, making it harder to re-orient yourself if you get lost, which is already a problem with its visual design

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »

Last I heard, yeah. Another new thing:
    A (presumably NPC) "black" Phantom that invades you in any area you could normally be invaded. Has a specific loadout and appearantly drops new items.

From what I've seen of preview videos,
    the Forlorn might be a group/class of NPC phantom invaders rather than a specific invader, which would make sense since they'd be more predictable and therefore less of a threat if it was the same invader who always had the same gear and stats every time you fought them

• Options
    michaelmathmichaelmath Someday Registered User regular
    if only I could be so grossly incandescent

• Options
    What's the advantage to being human in Dark Souls 2? In one, you got a small stat boost and you didn't look hideous. In the sequel, you get your life back but is there any other perk?

• Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    What's the advantage to being human in Dark Souls 2? In one, you got a small stat boost and you didn't look hideous. In the sequel, you get your life back but is there any other perk?

You can only summon helpers while human, other than that it's just the life I think.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Dark souls 1 had no stat boost as far as I know. Humanity itself, the counter, would increase chance to get rare drops up to 10, and a few other things, but you use up a humanity to become human, so if you had 1 you'd end up at 0.
    You had to become human to kindle bonfires to improve estus. You had to be human to get the special npc's to attack you as well, the ones that give you rewards if you kill all of them (eg kirk).

Dark souls 2 its mostly the life and summoning.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    "Homing Soul Mass - This spell was said to have been devised by a master sorcerer, but his name is long forgotten."

:bigfrown:

No! Big Hat Logan!

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    There is one NPC that will react differently to human and hollowed players. (Didn't encounter him myself, but I wiki'd to see now that I have completed my first runthrough if I had missed anything).

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    Also, you need to be human to open the door to the room with Vendrick's soul in it

• Options
    There is one NPC that will react differently to human and hollowed players. (Didn't encounter him myself, but I wiki'd to see now that I have completed my first runthrough if I had missed anything).

The leader of the blue sentinels. He won't talk to you if you're human. You need to be undead for him to interact with you.

• Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »

The leader of the blue sentinels. He won't talk to you if you're human. You need to be undead for him to interact with you.

No, you only need a token of fidelity to talk to Targray.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    The NPC that reacts differently to human/hollows would be dude in Aldia's keep. I can't remember his name, but he's the mage that gives you the assassination quest if you're hollowed, and asks you not to release him if you're human and what not.