As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dark Souls] 3: "Everything is designed to kill you."

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Most of them open by pressing the action button, but there are some that you have to attack to open, and there are some that need to be blown up by explosive barrels. It's a little annoying.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Found it! Also made a bunch of progress and fought 2 (optional? ) bosses. Capra and moonlight butterfly down.

Moonlight is optional, Capra is not. Summoning the NPC on Moonlight makes it available for a later (and harder) boss... the NPC also slaughters it handily.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Well after almost dying to the drakes I do no damage to and actually dying to a HUGE FUCKING HYDRA , I read the key Capra dropped and it said the entrance was in that same zone. Found it and I made it all the way to blight town after some sewer misadventures. Even found an ember. But I am not walking all the way back to the blacksmith. With the way this game has been so far im sure I will loop to firelink shrine somehow. But im done for the day , I think im making good progress for my first playthrough.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Found it! Also made a bunch of progress and fought 2 (optional? ) bosses. Capra and moonlight butterfly down.

Moonlight is optional, Capra is not. Summoning the NPC on Moonlight makes it available for a later (and harder) boss... the NPC also slaughters it handily.

Capra is technically optional. Unless I'm forgetting something important to the story gated between it and the boss after it.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »

Capra is technically optional. Unless I'm forgetting something important to the story gated between it and the boss after it.

Yes, technically optional. But as a practical matter... it's the normal route.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Capra is only optional if you have the master key. If you don't, then you gotta fight him.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
    Can't you go through the parish to darkroot to drake valley to blighttown without the master key? I'm pretty sure that locked door by the blighttown exit just enables a shortcut through New Londo.

• Options
    Cromarty wrote: »
    Can't you go through the parish to darkroot to drake valley to blighttown without the master key? I'm pretty sure that locked door by the blighttown exit just enables a shortcut through New Londo.
    Oh... I suppose so. I always forget that path exists. I guess he IS technically optional then, but it's kinda a pain in the ass to skip him without the key.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    So played some more . Killed disturbingly sex spiderwoman on the first try after dying to the level at least 20 times.Fuck the toxic blowdart guys they posed more threat then anything there. Rang the second bell , followed a message about a fake wall and met an egg dude that wanted me to serve him. I said no , im sure I will have to go back there anyway. Then went all the way up the elevator ( the dog powering the whole thing on a hampster wheel was a cute touch). And ended up in new londo ruins , went left and that took me firelink shrine. Just stopped in front of sens fortress but onion dude is gone.

• Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    Behind egg guy is the sister of the boss you just killed, and the leader of the best goddamn covenant in the game (by rewards).

You might need a specific ring to join (I know you need it to talk to her and understand what she's saying, but you may be able to join regardless?).

(And he's asking you to serve the spider-lady, not himself)

• Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    Astale wrote: »
    Behind egg guy is the sister of the boss you just killed, and the leader of the best goddamn covenant in the game (by rewards).

You might need a specific ring to join (I know you need it to talk to her and understand what she's saying, but you may be able to join regardless?).

Old Witch's Ring to talk to her, but you do not need it to join.

But yeah it is pretty much the best covenant. And it's one of the few with a leader board!

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    Alazull wrote: »

Old Witch's Ring to talk to her, but you do not need it to join.

But yeah it is pretty much the best covenant. And it's one of the few with a leader board!

You need to do it for achievements anyways (it's the only source for two pyromancies, and the latter of the ones it gives you is a great way to farm souls later on).

But the ring will make you sad. I still usually take it as my starting reward if I'm not going for a master key abuse though, since Pyro/dex is my favorite build.

• Options
    The way pyromancy is in the first game, everyone should be using it.

It's effectively completely independent of your stats. (really high dex gives slightly faster casting)

I really hated how they changed it for 2, actually, since they went the completely opposite direction where now it takes stat investment across the board.

• Options
    The way pyromancy is in the first game, everyone should be using it.

It's effectively completely independent of your stats. (really high dex gives slightly faster casting)

I really hated how they changed it for 2, actually, since they went the completely opposite direction where now it takes stat investment across the board.

It was pretty OP yes, since it just scaled with how many souls you poured into the glove. Somewhat lower uses than sorcery though, so you couldn't usually clear areas with just fireballs (if you had both combustions, great combustion, and black flame though? Yeah, that's 48 charges of ROASTING and will clear most shit out handily... at the cost of four attunement slots).

For 2, the addition of scaling on stats does tone it down a bit, but there's still a ton of support pyromancies... and with no stat requirements...

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Just made it to anor londo. I am exausted, I hated Sens fortress with a passion. If I had died before reaching that bonfire( I almost did cause gargoyles are stupid) I would have rage quit life.

edit- Was the guy I just killed THE prince Richard ? Or someone who found the sword? I really liked it in Ds2.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    My problem with pyromancy in 2 is that the number of casts is still very low, even though it now takes just as much as sorcery.

I have that issue with offensive miracles after they "adjusted" the casts back when.

Also, not being able to start as a pyromancer is annoying.

Edit: Also Great Chaos Fireball being the reward of the pvp covenant. What the shit is up with that?

Astale on
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    My main complaint about pyromancy is that the flame weapon buff is hidden behind ng+. I also wish you could find warmth earlier.

Lingering flame was my problem solver for PvE. Flame swathe made me feel like Roy Mustang.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Just made it to anor londo. I am exausted, I hated Sens fortress with a passion. If I had died before reaching that bonfire( I almost did cause gargoyles are stupid) I would have rage quit life.

edit- Was the guy I just killed THE prince Richard ? Or someone who found the sword? I really liked it in Ds2.

Nope, that was him. Like Havel's armor, in 2 it's just a reference item put in to link the two games and make the weird-ass timeline even more fuzzy.

Aistan on
  • Options
    So hit my first big wall. Used my last humanity to summon solaire and I almost beat smough and orenstein but I died at the end. Guess im just going to grind levels for awhile.

• Options
    You're on PC right? If nessesary, I'm sure someone still has an old character sunbroing around Waldorf and Statler.

Bear in mind, summoning in DS1 doesn't work about 80% of the time.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Nah I shouldn't be taking the easy way out and summoning help the first time through the game anyway.Im sure I will get it , just need a break frustrated right now.

Edit- They are dead. Im not even happy about it , im still infuriated.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    Now that DS1 is on Steamworks instead of GFWL, is that still true?

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • Options
    Yes. It was not really GFWL's fault in this case. It was the shitty Peer to peer netcode they used.

I tried summoning a couple times last night. Nothing but summon failed.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Starting to explore Pharros' area, and holy balls are there a lot of the locks in here. Are there any specific ones I should try to open, or are they all good in some way?

Also met the Royal Rat Authority. I was wondering why a boss had a bonfire right outside it's room... woof.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Starting to explore Pharros' area, and holy balls are there a lot of the locks in here. Are there any specific ones I should try to open, or are they all good in some way?

Also met the Royal Rat Authority. I was wondering why a boss had a bonfire right outside it's room... woof.
    Most of them are just for the covenant. There is ONE that leads to something really good.

It's on the floor in front of the large 3 way split wall in the first large chamber past the bonfire. Inside will be another mammoth knight, but also a VERY special weapon.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    So yeah, Scholar changes up all sorts of things.

So far though, nothing has struck me as "Oh WTF"... well, aside from I've actually broken my weapon a couple times now.

Currently trying to do a dex pyro setup, but I only just got miss pyromancer freed, so I only JUST got access to upgrades and shit. I have all of like 18 int+fth, and I'm only planning to get to 20 atm (hits 14 faith for magic barrier basically).

The winged spear is serving me well.

Except that they moved the bastards in the fog into the next bit too. So, yeah. That's a thing. The first one of them I found damn near killed me from not knowing the trick. Now I know, and now they DIE, because I can take almost all their health in my opening combo (poor things don't react before I'm in range. I'm LOVING the reach I get with this thing)

Lost Sinner dead, too. <3 Lucatiel.

Next up I guess is the Huntsmans Copse, because Earthen Peak gets me more NPC merchants I care about this run (in the "if you don't care about this merchant you must be doing some crazy bare fist run" category, she's REALLY FUCKING USEFUL)

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    You should talk to "Mr. Sit in a Chair and mumble about Dark."

You'll probably find quite something for your dex/pyro build :D

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    You should talk to "Mr. Sit in a Chair and mumble about Dark."

You'll probably find quite something for your dex/pyro build :D

Best he not look into the glorious sunset for too long.

Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited May 2015

no, the connects are really great now because of steamworks and the fact they removed the region locks. its not ds2 levels of speed but my last playthrough with steam works on and the region lock disabled i was getting hits all the time when trying to summon first time. no missed connections. signs are still abit rareish though (rarer than ds2 i mean) but thats a good thing.

Deaderinred on
  • Options

no, the connects are really great now because of steamworks and the fact they removed the region locks. its not ds2 levels of speed but my last playthrough with steam works on and the region lock disabled i was getting hits all the time when trying to summon first time. no missed connections. signs are still abit rareish though (rarer than ds2 i mean) but thats a good thing.
    Or it could be like my experience where I tried to summon like 10 times and each one of them failed.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    pardzhpardzh Registered User regular

How did Capra go for you?

gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Or it could be like my experience where I tried to summon like 10 times and each one of them failed.

or it could not. i think you were just playing at the wrong times or have a bad connection depending on where you live or maybe even something with your settings. with the region lock disabled you get the influx of all the players around the world. i mostly got a loads early morning (uk) and crazy fast constant connections in the forest covenant area, summons and red/grey invasion alike.

the only consistent problem with all players is the steam name crash bug. if someones steam name is too long or has weird characters in it and you click on their summon sign just to look it will crash the game every time.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    pardzh wrote: »

How did Capra go for you?

Dead on the first try but it was real close because I went in with only 2 charges of estus left. So update , Ceaseless discharge is dead and im about to go through the ruins. A friend told me to level up chaos covenant to save solaire so I did that . I also killed pinwheel and took two steps into tomb of the giants before I was like fuck that . I will come back when I find a torch or something. I also found Siegmeyer putzing around blight town and helped him out. I really liked him and im kind of terrified what will happen to him knowing this game. On a sad note I found the crestfallen warrior hollowed out and had to kill him. I liked him , he was pretty much me in video game form.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options

or it could not. i think you were just playing at the wrong times or have a bad connection depending on where you live or maybe even something with your settings. with the region lock disabled you get the influx of all the players around the world. i mostly got a loads early morning (uk) and crazy fast constant connections in the forest covenant area, summons and red/grey invasion alike.

the only consistent problem with all players is the steam name crash bug. if someones steam name is too long or has weird characters in it and you click on their summon sign just to look it will crash the game every time.
    and I don't have any problem with summoning in DS2, so I'm going to continue to say it's a problem with DS1.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    edited May 2015

and I don't have any problem with summoning in DS2, so I'm going to continue to say it's a problem with DS1.

we could do this all day, so lets not. :bzz:

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    The bad: The weapon upgrade system makes no fucking sense why did I have to modify my weapon to take it from +10 to plus 11? I even gave it the rest of the levels the normal way just that level needed that. My life could have been so much easier.
    2) I have been forced to use a shield for the very first time today. Those giant skeletons on all four legs seem to punish everything other then block -> counter.

The good:Four kings and Gravelord Nito are dead. Balder side sword is +15 and I feel pretty strong. Plus I rescued the priestess . She hasn't come back to the shrine though so I dont know if she just stays there for reasons.

The justified : I murdered patches so hard the afterlife shit itself in terror. Also murdered the cleric who abandoned the priestess cause he is a condescending jerkoff.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    The bad: The weapon upgrade system makes no fucking sense why did I have to modify my weapon to take it from +10 to plus 11? I even gave it the rest of the levels the normal way just that level needed that. My life could have been so much easier.
    Yeah, DaSI's upgrade system is rather wonky compared to DaSII. DaSII you have base up to +10, then you can slap a special type onto it as well.

DaSI, the upgrade process is a tree of sorts, base up to +5, then from there you can branch to magic/divine/whatever, or keep going straight to +10, then at the +10 (or equivalent) mark, you have more branchings.
    :edit: oh and the assorted upgrades all have their own embers, which are used by different blacksmiths.
    :edit2: also there are multiple flavors of titanite to go with the upgrade processes.

NEO|Phyte on
  • Options
    Priestess goes to the church up top, not the shrine.
    And Fatty McGee will murder her if you don't visit her there fast enough. Specifically, before you go beat another "big" boss. If you took out Nito, she may already be dead.

If she *isn't* dead, she's a miracle merchant, and if you buy up all of her miracles before Fatty tries to kill her again (don't know the trigger for the second time) she travels to Seath's area and you can find her hollow in one of the cells.

So she's pretty much fucked no matter what.

• Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    And Fatty McGee will murder her if you don't visit her there fast enough. Specifically, before you go beat another "big" boss. If you took out Nito, she may already be dead.

If she *isn't* dead, she's a miracle merchant, and if you buy up all of her miracles before Fatty tries to kill her again (don't know the trigger for the second time) she travels to Seath's area and you can find her hollow in one of the cells.

Which is pretty fitting given the hopeless theme of the game, no? I thought that was one of the better story threads because of it.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    Konphujun wrote: »

Which is pretty fitting given the hopeless theme of the game, no? I thought that was one of the better story threads because of it.

Well...
    By the end you can get almost everyone to go hollow/get killed by following their story. The only exceptions are merchants who sell consumables and blacksmiths.

It's kind of sad in a way. You spend the first part of the game filling up Firelink with people and merchants, and then watch them get picked off one-by-one as you move to the conclusion.