As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel MCU] This thread is wrapped, in some kind of rope or wire. Find the new one!

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Drax
    I still don't like his "I think of Sakarrans as 'paper people'" line; it's not literal, and it comes well before he "mastered" the "finger across the throat" "metaphor."

These are just nitpicks. The Gamora thing can be fixed in the next movie, and the Drax issue is such a minor thing that only bothers me because I have an English degree.
    Eh, I'm gonna chalk it up as them being fine with analogies.
    He thinks of them as "paper people" because he probably crushes them as if they were paper, so it's a descriptive thing. The "finger across the throat" is one statement representing something completely different, so he has problems with it.

It's subtle, but I'll take it.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    If Tony Stark ever joins the Guardians, I want it to be subtitled "Stark Trek"

Quill : oh man, I totally get it! Wasn't Kirk the best?
    Stark: I'm more of a Sisko fan.
    Quill: WHO??
    End credits: Quill and Rogers watching DS9

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    If Tony Stark ever joins the Guardians, I want it to be subtitled "Stark Trek"

Quill : oh man, I totally get it! Wasn't Kirk the best?
    Stark: I'm more of a Sisko fan.
    Quill: WHO??
    End credits: Quill and Rogers watching DS9

This needs to be in the exact same voice as Korath going "Who?!" in the temple

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Guys.

Just saw Guardians for the second time, on sunday.

Obviously there's a lot to love in this movie, but something minor clicked into my head that I really liked and I don't know how obvious it was to anyone else, so I'll just leave this here:
    When Yondu is in his ship at the end and his men are carousing about and Yondu opens the container and the troll pops out, he smiles not just because Quill pulled another one over on him like a true Ravager should, but that troll is PERFECT for his console with all the other little guys he's stuck on there.

And, for the record, I also believe
    he is Quill's father.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Guys.

Obviously there's a lot to love in this movie, but something minor clicked into my head that I really liked and I don't know how obvious it was to anyone else, so I'll just leave this here:
    When Yondu is in his ship at the end and his men are carousing about and Yondu opens the container and the troll pops out, he smiles not just because Quill pulled another one over on him like a true Ravager should, but that troll is PERFECT for his console with all the other little guys he's stuck on there.

he is Quill's father.
    I'd almost say it was an intentional 'trolling' on Quill's part, but he wouldn't have known the phrase.
    And if he is Quill's father, they were just being needlessly obscure to cover it up, including him calling himself a jackass.
    And unless he's a shapeshifter, it's hard to see how Quill's mom could say he looks anything like his father.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Fakefaux wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    Gamora pretty much got stuck being the Straight Man for this one.
    They could tone that down in the next one, but they'll still need someone to fill that role.

There's no reason that Gamora can't keep being a straight man (though the self-serious Adam warlock would work well in this role as well), but they do need to give her some more distinguishing characteristics outside of that.

She's heroic, vengeful, knowledgeable, and skilled. She had plenty of character in the movie, it was just tilted more towards following Quill because he's our lead-in character.

• Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    They could tone that down in the next one, but they'll still need someone to fill that role.

There's no reason that Gamora can't keep being a straight man (though the self-serious Adam warlock would work well in this role as well), but they do need to give her some more distinguishing characteristics outside of that.

She's heroic, vengeful, knowledgeable, and skilled. She had plenty of character in the movie, it was just tilted more towards following Quill because he's our lead-in character.

I didn't find she had any character. She's the generic strong female that is so common in action/adventure movies these days. The other characters have weird quirks, while she is very robotic in comparison.

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    [Tycho?] wrote: »

I didn't find she had any character. She's the generic strong female that is so common in action/adventure movies these days. The other characters have weird quirks, while she is very robotic in comparison.

She's just bland in comparison to the rest of the cast. She's competent and all that but doesn't have a great hook really. Her big thing is who her "father" is and that doesn't amount to much new or interesting.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    I also felt she veered a little too close to the old "den mother" cliche, since she was largely the most serious and mission oriented character who sort of had to babysit a bunch of silly manchildren in the form of the others. We get a few lines about her tragic backstory and her desire for vengeance/justice, but those moments are fleeting.

• Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Seeing this for the second time after work today, just as excited as I was the first time.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014

She's the only one in the group trying to get them to save everyone. She has the most knowledge of what's going on, and has the only turn in the movie. She isn't as open and talkative as Quill, but that's kind of the way the two characters are. Even in the comics Quill wears his heart on his sleeve and Gamora is very much a closed-off person. However, a closed-off character is still a character, it just isn't one who expositions a lot in dialog. Her character is explained in her actions, reactions, body language, ect.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Myiagros wrote: »
    Seeing this for the second time after work today, just as excited as I was the first time.

I'm watching it tomorrow, german dub version this time

Wonder how they translated
    nothing goes over my head
    , since that saying doesn't exist in that form in german. maybe
    das ist zu hoch für ihn - nichts ist zu hoch für mich! ich überwinde jedes hindernis

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    Drax
    I still don't like his "I think of Sakarrans as 'paper people'" line; it's not literal, and it comes well before he "mastered" the "finger across the throat" "metaphor."

These are just nitpicks. The Gamora thing can be fixed in the next movie, and the Drax issue is such a minor thing that only bothers me because I have an English degree.
    Eh, I'm gonna chalk it up as them being fine with analogies.
    He thinks of them as "paper people" because he probably crushes them as if they were paper, so it's a descriptive thing. The "finger across the throat" is one statement representing something completely different, so he has problems with it.

It's subtle, but I'll take it.

Technically "as paper people" would be a simile. Not a metaphor.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

She's the only one in the group trying to get them to save everyone. She has the most knowledge of what's going on, and has the only turn in the movie. She isn't as open and talkative as Quill, but that's kind of the way the two characters are. Even in the comics Quill wears his heart on his sleeve and Gamora is very much a closed-off person. However, a closed-off character is still a character, it just isn't one who expositions a lot in dialog. Her character is explained in her actions, reactions, body language, ect.

Gamora wasn't closed off in the movie, she was one of the most open and rational on the team. For someone with such a dark past she was much too happy in personality too, as opposed to everybody else - excluding Quill, who became an overgrown man-child. Nebula had the proper attitude I'd expect for someone
    having their family and planet murdered by Thanos and forced into being his assassin.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Gamora suffered for being the least ridiculous of the main cast.

She did kind of feel like a vehicle for Quinn and the audience to normalize to the weirdness of the setting, through their sort-of romance as something more typical of a big adventure movie.

But she's also the only reason the universe isn't currently exploding planet-by-planet.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    OptimusZed wrote: »

She did kind of feel like a vehicle for Quinn and the audience to normalize to the weirdness of the setting, through their sort-of romance as something more typical of a big adventure movie.

But she's also the only reason the universe isn't currently exploding planet-by-planet.

They needed a sixth member for that purpose. It deflated Gamora's tragic past making her the normal one, and they didn't do enough with her demeanor to show she was the most dangerous assassin in the universe. Drax earned that title more than she did.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited September 2014

They needed a sixth member for that purpose. It deflated Gamora's tragic past making her the normal one, and they didn't do enough with her demeanor to show she was the most dangerous assassin in the universe. Drax earned that title more than she did.

She needed an early scene to really establish her bad assery. Her problem is her first action scene is against the main cast so she can't be too bad ass, though she definitely comes across as competent, but not most deadly woman in the universe. It'd be a bit like if Quill didn't have his opening scene.
    and our first introduction to him was getting thrown in a bag by random wildlife and a tree man.

Really if they could have added a minute or two to the prison scene and have Gamora fuck the ever living hell up out of the initial nameless prisoners who try and shank her (or even just use her reputation to talk them down) and then have Drax show up and things get serious it would have worked better for her. It also would have fucked up Quill's protecting her impulse thing a bit though.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited September 2014

She needed an early scene to really establish her bad assery. Her problem is her first action scene is against the main cast so she can't be too bad ass, though she definitely comes across as competent, but not most deadly woman in the universe. It'd be a bit like if Quill didn't have his opening scene.
    and our first introduction to him was getting thrown in a bag by random wildlife and a tree man.

Really if they could have added a minute or two to the prison scene and have Gamora fuck the ever living hell up out of the initial nameless prisoners who try and shank her (or even just use her reputation to talk them down) and then have Drax show up and things get serious it would have worked better for her. It also would have fucked up Quill's protecting her impulse thing a bit though.

That and they made her have a darker, more serious personality like Black Widow had.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Gamora never really got a scene that demonstrated her particular brand of badass. That's something they do for Black Widow.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular

I really think they bungled the prison scene.
    They tried to give gamora a little bit of badassness by having her turn the tables on the first two would be attackers, but it wasn't enough and is completely undone by her being apparently outmatched by drax a few moments later. It's to many failures to soon into meeting her for the title of most feared assassin to really stick. But I feel like there was a great opportunity there.

In my perfect version, when quill shows up Gamora has already fucked up a bunch of dudes but was clearly still in trouble due to still being vastly outnumbered. Having other bad guys already dispatched really jacks up her awesomeness level without sacrificing basically any screen time. Then you have Quill trying to calm things down and Drax showing up as apparently the most feared currently in the prison. Cue quick fight scene between Gamora and Drax where neither seems to win and quill manages to halt things at a draw position. Then you have quill seem to talk Gamora down, only for Drax to take advantage of her backing down to get the upper hand. Cue final scene where Quill convinces Drax that he's better off letting her live to get his real revenge against Ronan.

In my version you really get the feeling that Gamora is one of, if not the best fighter. You also start to get a glimpse that maybe she isn't just a killing machine as she backs down first even though it's a dangerous move and results in Drax getting the upper hand. Which has the side benefit of putting her in real peril without having to make her lose a fight and seem less badass. Then you still get Quill as sort of the moderator with a hero complex, who gives Drax a compelling reason to not only spare Gamora but team up with her. Much better all around.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    The prison scene should've been far more Watchmen'esque.

"Oh shit, she's not trapped in here with us, we're trapped in here with her."

Edit: damned right, Geth.

Edit 2: and now Geth is gone. Truly, Geth works in mysterious ways.

Edit 3: and now Geth is back. O.O

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Agreed. With her reputation, everyone in that prison should have been scared of her.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Guys.

he is Quill's father.
    I'd almost say it was an intentional 'trolling' on Quill's part, but he wouldn't have known the phrase.
    And if he is Quill's father, they were just being needlessly obscure to cover it up, including him calling himself a jackass.
    And unless he's a shapeshifter, it's hard to see how Quill's mom could say he looks anything like his father.

It's like this, see.
    Why would the Ravagers agree to a job they hate, and not only not do it, but spend decades with no reprisal?

Why does Yondu like Quill so much, more than he can admit to his crew without appearing soft and a weak leader?

Mostly, though it was one of the last lines Yondu says in the movie: I may be as pretty as an angel but I sure ain't one.

It really makes me wonder what Yondu looked like all those years ago...no silver in his teeth, no facial scars...

I just like the idea of this being some kind of long con Yondu has where he doesn't want to tip his hand that he's been grooming his son to take his place running the Ravagers-albeit if he happens to be clever and sneaky enough.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I would be totally fine with that reveal, because it would be a lot better than just bringing Spartax into the mix, just another dumb alien species.
    The MCU has stupid LMDs, I am perfectly ok with them having image inducers or whatever Yondu would need to hide his skin to woo Mrs. Quill.

Or maybe Quill's mom dying is what made him so blue! That's an emotional angle you never thought of!

And come on, Quill! Magic Arrow! It makes sense people!

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I would be totally fine with that reveal, because it would be a lot better than just bringing Spartax into the mix, just another dumb alien species.
    The MCU has stupid LMDs, I am perfectly ok with them having image inducers or whatever Yondu would need to hide his skin to woo Mrs. Quill.

Or maybe Quill's mom dying is what made him so blue! That's an emotional angle you never thought of!

Starfox_001.jpg

• Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    Hey question re: Ronan in Guardians
    What's the story with the goo pit he emerges from? And then he's seen pouring blood(?) into the crevices on it?

Is it some Kree cultural thing, and meant to be a big moment when he later wrecks it with the power surge from grabbing the Infinity Stone?

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Hey question re: Ronan in Guardians
    What's the story with the goo pit he emerges from? And then he's seen pouring blood(?) into the crevices on it?

Is it some Kree cultural thing, and meant to be a big moment when he later wrecks it with the power surge from grabbing the Infinity Stone?

Regarding the pit:
    I think that the audience is supposed to initially just think "huh, strange black alien fluid, whatever." And then later go "oh shit, he literally sleeps in the blood of his enemies."

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

I'm pretty sure it's been confirmed the Jason won't be his father. Checking....

Yup

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=41888
    Importantly, Gunn had a major revelation for fans trying to work out who Peter Quill's father might be. "It’s definitely not the character who it is in the comics, I’ll say that much."

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Yup

Importantly, Gunn had a major revelation for fans trying to work out who Peter Quill's father might be. "It’s definitely not the character who it is in the comics, I’ll say that much."

I think it will be
    Beyonder
    and a weird play on
    Secret Wars without the non-MCU characters being replaced with people like GoG and Falcon etc.

• Options
    useless4 wrote: »
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Yup

I think it will be
    Beyonder
    and a weird play on
    Secret Wars without the non-MCU characters being replaced with people like GoG and Falcon etc.
    beyonder.gif

• Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    New Yorker cartoon, not a spoiler:
    vnflWzj.jpg

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    The MCU has LMDs? Since when?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Agents of SHIELD. Probably. Of course, the catch is they all look like Patton Oswalt.

Also, why the hell would Yondu talk about Pete's dad in the third person if he was him? That's one of the bullshitest of twists, the one where the character is lying exclusively for the benefit of the audience. And that's on top of Yondu not being a being of pure light, not having any special qualities that would qualify him as something strange and ancient, not being something the Nova corps has never seen before...

He's a foster father for Quill. That kind of relationship doesn't require blood.

• Options

Well, Tony mentions them in Avengers. Mockingly, so it might be something he made up on the spot and eventually creates. Or it could be an actual thing he knows about.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Guys.

he is Quill's father.

I think it's more likely that stuff hung around from previous scripts where that was the case, and the dialog line he says right before jackass didnt get much scrutiny.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Not sure exactly which of the 3-4 possible threads this belongs into so I'll just post it here.

Bought + watched The Amazing Spider-Man 2 today.
    The good:
    - Electro visual/audio design; Any fight with Electro
    - One of the better Spider-Man portrayals in terms of fighting style/battle moves
    - Stan Lee

The bad:
    - Peter/Gwen relationship. TOO FUCKING MUCH OF IT. And even then they didn't get it right - one of the first things they do is revert their status BACK to what it was before the ending of ASM 1. Why? I have no idea. It doesn't really serve any purpose and they get back together anyways...I'd rather have fewer depictions of their relationship, and then show that it's working out. For once, the scenes where they get along and no drama is shoehorned in are infinitely better than those where they are breaking up for the 3rd time. Second, this would give more impact to her death later
    - It's explained why Spider-Man's blood could potentially cure Harry. Why on earth does he assume that the Spider's venom would have the same/a similar effect? Explanation?!
    - What does the Spider-Venom actually DO?! It seems to transform him into the Green Goblin. Does it make him stronger? That's a big part of the Green Goblin transformation in literally ANY other adaption. Explanation of the transformation effects?! And why does it accellerate his disease?
    - The suit Harry puts on goes into "healing" mode as it detects injuries on Harry. Why is that part of a scene? Do I need to know that? Does it just heal the cuts Harry received? Does it heal his sickness? Explanation?!
    - Spider-Man's portrayal: Spider-Man is supposed to be funny (usually in a bad way, making un-funny jokes and puns) to deal with his fear; He's definitely NOT supposed to 1. be a reckless asshole and 2. be completely unfunny.
    - Rhino. Do I even have to say anything? CinemaSins summed it up pretty perfectly with "(Insert Rhino guy's name here) doesn't realize he's not in a cartoon". You can't take him seriously, you can't laugh about him...bad adaption is bad.
    - Is Harry cured at the end? How? What's his goal now? Kill Spider-Man? Why does he create new Supervillians?

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Not sure exactly which of the 3-4 possible threads this belongs into so I'll just post it here.

Bought + watched The Amazing Spider-Man 2 today.
    The good:
    - Electro visual/audio design; Any fight with Electro
    - One of the better Spider-Man portrayals in terms of fighting style/battle moves
    - Stan Lee

The bad:
    - Peter/Gwen relationship. TOO FUCKING MUCH OF IT. And even then they didn't get it right - one of the first things they do is revert their status BACK to what it was before the ending of ASM 1. Why? I have no idea. It doesn't really serve any purpose and they get back together anyways...I'd rather have fewer depictions of their relationship, and then show that it's working out. For once, the scenes where they get along and no drama is shoehorned in are infinitely better than those where they are breaking up for the 3rd time. Second, this would give more impact to her death later
    - It's explained why Spider-Man's blood could potentially cure Harry. Why on earth does he assume that the Spider's venom would have the same/a similar effect? Explanation?!
    - What does the Spider-Venom actually DO?! It seems to transform him into the Green Goblin. Does it make him stronger? That's a big part of the Green Goblin transformation in literally ANY other adaption. Explanation of the transformation effects?! And why does it accellerate his disease?
    - The suit Harry puts on goes into "healing" mode as it detects injuries on Harry. Why is that part of a scene? Do I need to know that? Does it just heal the cuts Harry received? Does it heal his sickness? Explanation?!
    - Spider-Man's portrayal: Spider-Man is supposed to be funny (usually in a bad way, making un-funny jokes and puns) to deal with his fear; He's definitely NOT supposed to 1. be a reckless asshole and 2. be completely unfunny.
    - Rhino. Do I even have to say anything? CinemaSins summed it up pretty perfectly with "(Insert Rhino guy's name here) doesn't realize he's not in a cartoon". You can't take him seriously, you can't laugh about him...bad adaption is bad.
    - Is Harry cured at the end? How? What's his goal now? Kill Spider-Man? Why does he create new Supervillians?

I believe ASM2 had its own thread, or was just in the general movie thread. This thread is for good movies movies specifically set in Marvel's Cinematic Universe (made by Marvel/Disney), only.

• Options
    MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    GOTG.....I spent months hoping this film would be good, because if it was bad, I didn't know how I would live with my self.......\

It was better than good, it was great, have already seen it twice. Some people are even saying that it could be this generation's Star Wars.

I can see that, of course we'd need Richard Ryder/Nova along as a sort of Luke figure (and to give Gamora an genuine love interest, as I don't see her and Peter that way.) Strangely enough, I had a further thought on this. I'm certain that Glenn Close will no be returning for the sequel (I believe hearing that she only did this role to get another one). Who would be the new Nova Prime?

This will sound crazy, but I love it for some reason.....How about Mark Hamill?

• Options
    Matthew wrote: »
    GOTG.....I spent months hoping this film would be good, because if it was bad, I didn't know how I would live with my self.......\

It was better than good, it was great, have already seen it twice. Some people are even saying that it could be this generation's Star Wars.

I can see that, of course we'd need Richard Ryder/Nova along as a sort of Luke figure (and to give Gamora an genuine love interest, as I don't see her and Peter that way.) Strangely enough, I had a further thought on this. I'm certain that Glenn Close will no be returning for the sequel (I believe hearing that she only did this role to get another one). Who would be the new Nova Prime?

This will sound crazy, but I love it for some reason.....How about Mark Hamill?

That makes her easier to be bought back.

• Options
    I would love to see Glenn Close as Worldmind.