As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

College Football 2015: FSU Stung, Utah In Serious Trouble

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Mulletude wrote: »
    The refs need to be punished by the conference for the fuckups. Clock running out on a scoring play and not calling it? wtf?

I don't even understand how that is allowed to stand. You have a fucking commercial break before the kickoff! How was that not called back and kicked back five yards?

Delay isn't reviewable. Reviewable penalties:

1) Targeting (can be rescinded)
    2) Pass interference (to see if the ball was tipped before the defender made contact, negating the penalty)
    3) I think too many men (to rescind it)

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
  • Options
    The refs need to be punished by the conference for the fuckups. Clock running out on a scoring play and not calling it? wtf?

I don't even understand how that is allowed to stand. You have a fucking commercial break before the kickoff! How was that not called back and kicked back five yards?

2) Pass interference (to see if the ball was tipped before the defender made contact, negating the penalty)

...how is "That play should not have existed" not a review-able thing?

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    Khavall wrote: »
    17-7 never forget

I'll even give them the first touchdown. Whatever. That field goal should not have counted. It costs the refs nothing to go "Nope clock expired, pull the points off and try again".

The thing that gets me is that it was so clearly not an interception and the footage confirmed that, and the reason the called it as an interception was because there was a fuckup where the wrong footage was sent to the booth, and the booth guys must have noticed that it wasn't the right footage, and then must have, in some effort to not be embarrassed for having an IT problem, just called down and gone "Well we can't watch the replay, so we'll just say it was an interception"

Like the play didn't actually undergo official review, and the refs theoretically should know that going through review might happen, hence going with the call as they saw it and letting video evidence overturn it, instead of considering their call a bit.

The "official review" was "I don't know, fuck it, let's give it to OSU on the PSU 30"

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Sounds like this is a thing that needs to be changed then. And seriously, the refs, whose job is to ref the game, should be able to tell the time on the fucking play clock.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    edited October 2014

::shrug::

Because it's not?

Remember the Thanksgiving Day game where the Lions threw a challenge flag in an automatically challenged situation (a score) which then negated the automatic challenge?

Replay rules are arbitrary, ridiculous, and Byzantine.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

Because it just isn't. Otherwise, they might start reviewing plays of actual consequence.

• Options
    Oh, so I just found out: This is the same crew that we had in Lincoln last year. I now hate them more than Witvoet.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Oh, so I just found out: This is the same crew that we had in Lincoln last year. I now hate them more than Witvoet.

Shouldn't have denied the ref's college application all those years ago. This is on you.

• Options
    Utah wins on late TD.

• Options
    Just watched Franklin's post game presser. Dude was pissed.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    No kidding. Question about the field goal and interception start at 4:17

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1RYkXsP5dw

Veevee on
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

Deservedly so, Penn State got thoroughly fucked by the refs.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RG19vczxo1q3-EA69GD1LrikmeuHtPvJ3F7qWAhYRys/pubhtml#

1. I suck
    2. Congrats to Mvrck who got 11 points and thus is no longer in last place.
    3. I dunno. Make up some stats?

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    The fuck was with that Michigan spike thing? Seriously, if you're gonna pull something like that, helps if you have a snowball's chance in hell of winning.

• Options
    Cog wrote: »
    The fuck was with that Michigan spike thing? Seriously, if you're gonna pull something like that, helps if you have a snowball's chance in hell of winning.

Dantonio's a petty asshole, mostly. It's a completely ridiculous non-issue.

That said, stupid motivational props are only charming if you're a good coach.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    If you're going to do something like that, do it big. Run out to mid-field and take a shit on the logo or something. Otherwise just shut up and play the game. Everything else just looks like that idiotic 'let's jump in the air and bump nipples' thing.

• Options
    Oh, the other thing that bothers me about it is it's the exact kind of weak ass bullshit Sparty used to pull to try to look tough. Basically the two schools have completely flipped mindsets, right down to us desperately waiting to play them in basketball.

• Options
    If you're going to do something like that, do it big. Run out to mid-field and take a shit on the logo or something.

This would be the best thing ever.

• Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular

::shrug::

Because it's not?

Remember the Thanksgiving Day game where the Lions threw a challenge flag in an automatically challenged situation (a score) which then negated the automatic challenge?

Replay rules are arbitrary, ridiculous, and Byzantine.
    To be fair, the NFL did change that rule and now it just costs you a timeout for being an idiot. I agree overall though.

• Options
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    The one year we finally pull our heads out and we don't play Michigan? I get the feeling that Western Michigan/Michigan would have been a pretty close game this go-round.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    Yeah. Michigan even had a chance to win.

• Options
    The writing, she is on the wall:
    On Monday, Ross said that he still thinks Brandon can do the job. But he also has promised school president Mark Schlissel that he won’t interfere or oppose a decision to fire Brandon.

“I don’t think alumni should control universities,” Ross said. “We have a great president and he is running the university and not me.”

Ross said Schlissel has “been talking to a lot of people” about Brandon and “has not come to a hasty conclusion.” If he has made a decision, Ross said, “he has not told anyone.”

He was pretty much the last one, and he's the University's largest donor, so.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Hahahah, Mike Hull isn't on the Butkus Award semi-finalist list. What a joke. I mean not surprising that a college football award is a joke, but seriously, that dude might be the best player in the Big Ten. Definitely top four (Abdullah, Gordon, Coleman) and the best LB. So when Jake Ryan is on the list...

EDIT: Top five, forgot about Sherff.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Annnnnnnnd the Flightaware posts have started on the board. Wheeeee!

• Options
    Hahahah, Mike Hull isn't on the Butkus Award semi-finalist list. What a joke. I mean not surprising that a college football award is a joke, but seriously, that dude might be the best player in the Big Ten. Definitely top four (Abdullah, Gordon, Coleman) and the best LB. So when Jake Ryan is on the list...

EDIT: Top five, forgot about Sherff.

Yeah I mean...the guy is having a monster year, anchoring what could arguably be the best defense in the conference, and definitely a top 10, if not top 5 in the nation. But he doesn't even make the fucking watch list?

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Actual exchange from today's podcast:
    Brian: No they're still doing it! They're taking Hoke's words verbatim and putting them on the internet.
    Ace: That seems mean.

Slayed me.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    http://mgoblog.com/content/david-brandon-i-suggest-you-find-new-team

This is actually less dickish than I was expecting! Still super unprofessional. With bonus FOIA violations, probably.

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Week 10

Descriptions!!! We're almost 2/3 through the season. This weekend looks like a whole lotta fun. Lets do this.

Northwestern at Iowa (-4) - Sat, Nov 1, 12:00 PM ET
    <description missing>

#10 TCU (-5) at #20 West Virginia - Sat, Nov 1, 3:30 PM ET
    Who woulda thought that the Big 12 frontrunners would be the two newest teams and KState? TCU and West Virginia face off against each other AT West Virginia. W.Virginia's offense is still potent, and TCU's offense is...a hell of a lot more potent than in previous years. The defenses will tip the edge, and likely we will bow in TCU's direction.

Purdue at #17 Nebraska (-23.5) - Sat, Nov 1, 3:30 PM ET
    This is just a fun little ATS pick.

Florida at #9 Georgia (-13) - Sat, Nov 1, 3:30 PM ET
    Despite everything, the World Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party has remained competitive in the past few years, the performance of both teams is widely different again this year, and yet the possibility of a competitive game still exists, because, well, that's college football.

Kentucky at Missouri (-6) - Sat, Nov 1, 4:00 PM ET
    Kentucky has been doing surprisingly well this season, and Missouri has not been playing as well as they should. That makes the line on this game a lot closer than you would have originally thought at the beginning of this season. Missouri has a baffling loss to Indiana and a understandable loss to Georgia. Kentucky SHOULD have beat Florida. They lost to LSU and Miss St, which, well, I'll give them that.

#4 Auburn at #7 Ole Miss (-2.5) - Sat, Nov 1, 7:00 PM ET
    Both have one loss. The winner is out of the running for the SEC championship game. A battle of the heavyweights, will Ole Miss redeem themselves from the Hatter Magic? Or will Auburn beat at least one team from Mississippi?

Arkansas at #1 Mississippi State (-10.5) - Sat, Nov 1, 7:15 PM ET
    Miss State will probably win this, but they're going to be bruised and bloodied by an angry Arkansas team.

Stanford at #5 Oregon (-9)- Sat, Nov 1, 7:30 PM ET
    Stanford is not as good this season as they were last season. They've dropped a couple of games in odd fashion. Oregon, on the other hand, lost to Arizona, so who knows!

#6 Notre Dame (-14) at Navy - Sat, Nov 1, 8:00 PM ET
    I couldn't avoid putting this game in. I actually look at this game fondly. It's a lopsided rivalry, yet both schools still love this game. Can Navy win this year? They might!

#14 Arizona at #25 UCLA (-6.5) - Sat, Nov 1, 10:30 PM ET
    With the way both teams are playing, how would you pick a UCLA/Iowa game? The betting machines would shut down to avoid hurting themselves. Anyways this isn't that. This is Arizona, with one loss, against UCLA, with one of the most nervous fan bases in the nation.

#18 Utah at #15 Arizona State (-5.5) - Sat, Nov 1, 11:00 PM ET
    Utah beat USC. Arizona State beat USC. Both have...somewhat baffling losses (ok AzState to UCLA isn't bad, but Utah to Washington State?) Flip a coin.

Week 10 Easy Copy/Paste List

ATS GAMES
    Purdue at #17 Nebraska (-23.5)
    Arkansas at #1 Mississippi State (-10.5)
    Stanford at #5 Oregon (-9)
    #6 Notre Dame (-14) at Navy
    W/L GAMES
    Northwestern at Iowa (-4)
    #10 TCU (-5) at #20 West Virginia
    Florida at #9 Georgia (-13)
    Kentucky at Missouri (-6)
    #14 Arizona at #25 UCLA (-6.5)
    #18 Utah at #15 Arizona State (-5.5)
    GOTW (W/L)
    #4 Auburn at #7 Ole Miss (-2.5)

• Options
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    ATS GAMES
    W/L GAMES
    GOTW (W/L)

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    @Syphyre‌

ATS GAMES
    W/L GAMES
    GOTW (W/L)

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular

In my head, he's not talking about fans forwarding more emails. I like to think he's getting buried in actual emails, directly from Brandon.

• Options
    Bobble wrote: »

In my head, he's not talking about fans forwarding more emails. I like to think he's getting buried in actual emails, directly from Brandon.

Brandon actually filled up hundreds of hard drives with his emails, and backed a dump truck up to Brian's house and physically covered him in them.

• Options

Brandon actually filled up hundreds of hard drives with his emails, and backed a dump truck up to Brian's house and physically covered him in them.

This is an accurate depiction of how Dave Brandon does PR.

• Options

This is what I choose to believe as well.

• Options

Yeah, but who made the hard drives?

• Options

Yeah, but who made the hard drives?

His secretary that makes 103k a year.

• Options
    Old media reporters ask about emails. A University spokesperson says:

"There's nothing else to add."

A STRONG DENIAL

This discussion has been closed.