As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Killing Floor 2 - Patch(beta) is up! Demo & Firebug are here! Berserker isn't crap!

• Options
    Emperor_ZEmperor_Z Registered User regular
    I didn't know this existed until I saw it at PSX, and I'm pretty excited. Killing Floor is so much fun, and I'm hoping this will fix my two big gripes with the original game. Namely, the massive grind that is integral to your combat effectiveness, and balance between perks. The improvements to the game's visuals look fantastic as well

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Given their use of skins and other occasional paid DLC, I wonder if a 'hatconomy' would work for this kind of game? Not necessarily one as 'out there' as TF2 has gotten, but some sort of points acquired for aesthetic changes and a means to pay for item/character aesthetics. Trading between players would be even better.

Obviously this kind of thing either needs to be build from the ground up or have a massive support team in place. I'm not expecting it, just thinking aloud that their style of DLC (which I've always been happy to buy, other than the weapon bling, I do like having the other character models) could favour a system like that if they so chose.

I'm not in the industry, and can only imagine that they're long past the point this sort of thing would need to be implemented, so it's really just wistful musing, before anyone grumble that another random netizen is proclaiming it easy to spend thousands of hours on code and art to make such a thing work. Just want to avoid the pitchforks here, folks.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    MegaMek wrote: »
    I don't think I ever used the flamethrower or smg after the shotgun and flare revolvers came out. I reeeeeealy hope the flare revolvers make it into kf2.

Nothing will ever make me give up that flamethrower but I also kinda have a thing for flamethrowers so there's that.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    LilleDjevelLilleDjevel Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    MegaMek wrote: »
    I don't think I ever used the flamethrower or smg after the shotgun and flare revolvers came out. I reeeeeealy hope the flare revolvers make it into kf2.

Nothing will ever make me give up that flamethrower but I also kinda have a thing for flamethrowers so there's that.

Sadly you can't bring an extra flamethrower with your flamethrower, so flairguns gotta do for now..

E: Hum could it be possible to get some kf games done while we wait for kf2?

LilleDjevel on
    Grass Grows,
    Birds Fly,
    'til there's Fire in the Sky...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RedthirstRedthirst Registered User regular
    Can't wait to play it. The game looks extremely good, even in Alpha.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Grass Grows,
    Birds Fly,

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    That medic gun design is awesome, reminds me of the Republic Commando blasters

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Medic shotgun? I'll totally use that.

• Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    That medic gun is nuts! Argh, these videos are making it so hard to be patient.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    he can't say too much about zerker?

HNNNNNNNNNNNG

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    he can't say too much about zerker?

HNNNNNNNNNNNG

I bet it involves something similar to Shadow Warrior's sword play stuff. They're kinda similar games and the power moves in those were really great.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Noticed that I still had card drops on KF1, so I fired it up last night.

Man, I'm a bit rusty, but auto-shotgunning things in the face never gets old.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Forar wrote: »
    Noticed that I still had card drops on KF1, so I fired it up last night.

Man, I'm a bit rusty, but auto-shotgunning things in the face never gets old.

Never gets old to pop onto KF just to clear a map or two with aa12.

Grass Grows,
    Birds Fly,

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    the zeds chunk so beautifully

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
  • Options
    Grass Grows,
    Birds Fly,

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Heh, I love cheesy horror films, and that was pretty darn cheesy. They made the clots a lot more threatening than they ever were in the first game too, that was pretty cool. Hopefully that'll translate into KF2.

I was kinda hoping at least one of them would survive. It'd be fun to play one of the doofuses who let the things out to begin with.

• Options
    Really hope the cloths live up to that. Can't wait for them to jump after people, just think of the sweeeeeeeet mid jump HTS kills!

Grass Grows,
    Birds Fly,

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Grass Grows,
    Birds Fly,

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Holy crap! That akimbo pistol reload that guy pulls is insane. I'm loving the attention to detail Tripwire is putting into this.

Also the new perk system sounds pretty rad.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    My main concern is the screen at ~3:50 that stated that the players inflict bonus damage and gain bonus health as they level up (if I read it right, a 50% bonus at max level). I hope that doesn't extend to shop discounts like in the first KF.

The harder difficulties felt like they were designed around the assumption that you had at least some of those perks leveled up. I wanted to spend more time playing the harder difficulties, but a lot of my friends didn't spend the time to upgrade their characters so they fell short on those difficulties and it was hard to play matches together where we would all have a good time. On the harder difficulties where my character was suited, my friends fell short because their weapons just wouldn't hit as hard as mine and their weapons were far more expensive than mine. On the lower difficulties, I'd be drowning in dosh because my guns costed pennies. I ended up spending most of my time playing as the medic because the damage boosts the other classes received over time just were too easy down at the levels where my friends nearly unranked characters were better suited.

Unlocking cool new toys is neat, but I really think a gun should just be a gun regardless of whose hands it is in. My elite character can probably reload faster, fire more accurately, and handle the recoil better, but IMO the damage from each individual bullet should be the same for both a new guy off the street and a veteran.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    I agree, tho it does seem that they took all the criticism of the first game's perks being too much of a grind to heart and are lessening that burden. I'm optimistic.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    I do like that you can customize your character a bit more. That looks fun.

Also, at least the 50% bonus is less than the 60% bonus most of the KF perks received at level 6. I just hope that there aren't such extreme gun shop discounts. That really messed with the economy and could easily make an otherwise challenging experience easy because you're buying equipment at a 70% discount compared to what you were paying on the day you installed the game.

It also opened to the door to some awkward money-making "exploits" where you could game the system by buying low and selling high (I recall the super-expensive medic guns and the medic's 87% discount being a culprit). They eventually fixed that loophole, but it kept cropping up for the longest time.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    I think they solved the whole discount thing with makeing you spawn with a good wep from level 1.

And since they have said Zeds movement will be the big deal on the harder setttings I don't think a lot of softstats will be stopping new players from being usefull as long as they can aim.

Grass Grows,
    Birds Fly,

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I sure hope so. Resource management was a big part of the harder difficulties. The 70% discount put a huge gulf between vet players and new players. I'd rather the veterancy bonuses not be that extreme.

On another note, I hope that the LAR returns in kf2. That was one of my favorite guns.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    I hardly think they will remove the LAR. It will make a lot of vets sad =P

Grass Grows,
    Birds Fly,

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I hope they add an optional level cap, so you can play with your lowbie friends on a normal difficulty and get scaled down appropriately so you don't completely steamroll it.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Well if they don't have the % bonus damage on higher ranks it looks like you can make most of your perks supportive. So you are there with teambuffs and ammo and not just pure damage like it is now.

Edit: In the vid commando have 2% damage boost per level.

LilleDjevel on
    Grass Grows,
    Birds Fly,

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    So, listing most of the new stuff from that video:
    • Starting loadouts are listed on perk page (Can we choose what guns we start with?)
    • If other classes follow the same trend Commando/Support did, the last perk trait you pick is a Zed-time perk
    • Perk traits can be changed between games

Commando traits
    • Level 5:
      Night Vision Goggles
      Call out - Make all cloaked enemies visible to teammates
    • Level 10:
      Large Mags - 50% magazine size increase
      Backup - 40% increase in damage to Pistol & Knife
    • Level 15:
      Single Fire - 20% damage increase in single-fire mode
      Tactical Reload - 20% increase in reload speed
    • Level 20:
      Impact - 30% increase in chance to stumble enemy
      Autofire - 20% damage increase in full-auto & burst-fire modes
    • Level 25 (Zed time):
      Rapid fire - 3% increase in damage with commando weapons & fire 3x as fast with all weapons
      Professional - Reload at full speed & swap weapons twice as fast

Support traits
    • Level 5:
      Ammo - 20% ammo cap increase, 20% starting ammo increase
      Supplier - Teammates can resupply from you once per wave
    • Level 10:
      Fortitude - 50% HP increase
      HP Regen
    • Level 15:
      Bombard - 15% increase in chance to stumble enemy
      Tactical Reload - 20% increase in reload speed
    • Level 20:
      Strength - Increase carrying cap by 5lbs
      Tenacity - 10% damage increase
    • Level 25 (Zed time):
      Safeguard - 30% better armor for you and your nearby teammates
      Barrage - 15% more weapon damage for you and your nearby teammates

gunwarrior on
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Presuming that those options stay the same for launch, I think these will be my choices:

Commando
    Level 5.
    Call out (health bar detection acted like a type of night vision in the first game. I'll probably be comfortable living with that in the new one).

Level 10:
    I'm inclined to choose backup. The handcannon and revolver were useful sidearms for the commando. A 40% boost to their already impressive damage would be GREAT. The knife bonus seems relevant too. Getting good with your melee weapon was super useful for conserving funds in the early game so that you will be better prepared for the late game.

HOWEVER, the tooltip at 1:55 states that the 40% boost is for "your backup Pistol and knife." Perhaps it only means your 9mm gets the 40% boost (which would still be an impressive boost for the little guy and you might be able to save on weight by just using it instead of making room for a heavier sidearm). All in all, I think backup has the potential to save you a good bit of $$$ over the course of a game.

But a 50% boost in magazine size is pretty substantial, so I can see that being a viable choice as well.

Level 15:
    I think this choice will come will come down to a math answer and I will have to re-evaluate my decision with each balance pass.

Will an extra 20% damage make a significant difference to my single shots? Will that extra damage let the ______ weapon body shot crawlers? Will it let me headcap the rest of the trash with a single headshot? If yes, then I'll probably take single shot. Otherwise I'll probably take tactical reload (I might also just take tactical reload if my rifles have a RoF that is low enough to make it practical to tap off single shots).

I am really tempted to take that tactical reload just for the improved animations. Then I will be able to operate operations operationally. I just remember that I spent so much time one-shotting trash zeds with my SCAR in single shot mode. I remember joking that I spent more time shooting from the hip with my sharpshooter's M14 than I did with any of the commando weapons.

Level 20:
    Since I sincerely doubt that it will be practical to consistently stumble big threats like scrakes and fleshpounds, I think I'll instead just take the 20% damage from auto-fire and try to kill the trash outright. Besides, I don't want their head hitbox to stumble out of the way.

Level 25:
    Presuming zed-time kills still triggers bonus instances of zed-time for commandos, then I want to pace my zed-time kills instead of killing things too fast. My teammates can probably do more in a long drawn out sequence of zed time than I could in a shorter zed-time with 3x RoF. With Professional, then I can probably find time to reload my kit so that I'm fresh and back in the game for when zed time ends.

Support
    Level 5:
    Supplier. I assume by "resupply" they mean something equivalent to running over an ammo kit. Shotgun ammo was REALLY expensive. A group of supports supplying each other can probably save a respectable chunk of cash over time.

Level 10:
    I'd take Fortitude for the bonus health. I'll probably move to the forefront at some point in the match to blast a scrake of fleshpound with a shotgun. I may very well get whomped at that time. More health means a greater chance of surviving long enough for the medic to get to me.

Level 15:
    I'm inclined to get tactical reload. Many of KF's shotguns reload shells one at a time. A faster reload speed can drastically decrease the time it takes to top off an empty gun.

Level 20:
    This will be a math answer. Will the extra 5 carry capacity let me add some awesome weapon to my build? If not, then I'd probably take the 10% damage increase.

Level 25:
    Barrage. If shit has hit the fan, then we might not have any body armor left. A 30% boost to body armor won't help if our armor has dried up. However the best defense is a good offense, and 15% bonus damage for my team can help us clear some space to buy us some breathing room so that we can escape/reload/heal.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I agree with most of that, except
    I'll always take faster reload.

Now they just need to release the perks for the other classes.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Damage dosn't matter if you got an empty mag, fast reload <3

Grass Grows,
    Birds Fly,

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Depends. Will that extra damage let you score one shot kills instead if two shot kills? If yes, then you won't have to reload as often because you will be able to more efficiently kill your targets.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options

Depends. Will that extra damage let you score one shot kills instead if two shot kills? If yes, then you won't have to reload as often because you will be able to more efficiently kill your targets.

This is true but as a commando your job is trash cleaning most of the time and what kills you when you get zerged? reloads!

Grass Grows,
    Birds Fly,

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I'd still rather kill 30 crawlers and clots with single shots and then spending the full time reloading than reload twice as often at a boosted speed because it takes me twice as many bullets to kill something.

It get what you're saying. Reload speed is great, but I'm going to be all over that damage boost if it pushes me over a shots-to-kill breakpoint for major trash mobs. Dropping targets with one shot instead of two will let me clear out some breathing room for our team in half the time. That is something that I will need to re-evaluate at different difficulties and after each balance patch.

The boost NEEDS to push me over a breakpoint though. Otherwise the bonus damage is worthless to me. It is someone else's job to deal with the big guys.

It also depends on how practical it us to tap off a single shot on full auto. If the premier AR in kf2 has a rof similar to the ak47, then I'll just take both reloading and the damage boost to full auto.

If the premier AR has a much higher rof like the fn fal, then the single shot boost is more attractive for efficiently clearing trash with precision shots.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Yeah what I'm saying is 100% based of old kf where a scar/fal headshot was a kill on most trash mobs on 6 man hoe, and you solved the reload problem simply by swaping wep asap and then reloading when you got time for it.

Like I used the Fal on singleshot long range and the had a full auto scar for back up when shit hit the fan. Scar was backup because it is easier to land a full scar clip in the same place than a full fal clip.

Grass Grows,
    Birds Fly,

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah, if the bullets to kill stays the same, then reload all day every day (plus the reload perk animations look great) .

I REALLY like the look of the perk that boosts reload and weapon swap rates when in zed time. That should turn zed time into a second wind where you can get back to full power.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Yeah, if the bullets to kill stays the same, then reload all day every day (plus the reload perk animations look great) .

I REALLY like the look of the perk that boosts reload and weapon swap rates when in zed time. That should turn zed time into a second wind where you can get back to full power.

You know like honestly I love the looks of all of it!

Just the gear option alone is makeing my hyped!

Like the fact that we can now be all like X option is better for Y guns is makeing me hyyyyyped!

LilleDjevel on
    Grass Grows,
    Birds Fly,

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Grass Grows,
    Birds Fly,

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Nothing not great in that interview. Early access soon? Coming with a SDK? Music to my ears.