As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Ferguson Protests

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Our main roads all around here know they are dark and boring and endless, so off the edge of all of them they groove out the pavement, so if you begin to drift, it makes this loud hummmmmm if you drive over it to wake you up

I like that they starter making roads with a rumble strip on the center line as well

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    It was like, a Sunday morning, so luckily there wasn't much in the way of traffic for me to get into any kind of trouble with, but it was still one of the more terrifying moments in my life because I was essentially physically unable to stay awake and I was approximately four hours away from home.

What are the laws for just, like, pulling off the road or into a parking lot and just sleeping in the backseat for a few hours? It seems like that'd be preferable to keeping a dangerously sleepy person on the road.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Other than having a talk radio station on (NPR/CBC, not one of those crappy right wing stations), I must have silence while sleeping.

There is another exception though. Trains. Nearly my whole life, I've lived within 500 metres of a train track, for some strange reason, the rumbling, shaking, and whistling of a train will not wake me up, and actually helps me sleep.

My father was a railroad signalman, which may be another reason.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    It was like, a Sunday morning, so luckily there wasn't much in the way of traffic for me to get into any kind of trouble with, but it was still one of the more terrifying moments in my life because I was essentially physically unable to stay awake and I was approximately four hours away from home.

What are the laws for just, like, pulling off the road or into a parking lot and just sleeping in the backseat for a few hours? It seems like that'd be preferable to keeping a dangerously sleepy person on the road.

Yeah if I was that bad I'd park at a service station and take a nap.

My brain really wants to kill me while driving one day. I can be fine driving around regular roads for hours, but within ten minutes of getting on a motorway it's always "I'm bored now, let's sleep!"

• Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    My mom did, in fact, spend my last bit of money at a liquour store without bothering to ask me about it and without even asking if she could use my card

I am incredibly stupid for having given her my pin in the past

so pissed off right now

• Options
    mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    My mom did, in fact, spend my last bit of money at a liquour store without bothering to ask me about it and without even asking if she could use my card

so pissed off right now

I'm sorry. That really sucks. While not totally similar, my mom once took out a credit card in my name and racked up 5k on it before telling me. She told me on my wedding day even.

XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I've realized an angle I can possibly take if I decide to discuss Ferguson with my parents. At 18, one of my brothers smoked weed, did illegal things that included theft (example: used a back entrance to a movie theater to get in free), and was harassed by cops because of how he dressed. Should they wish to discuss how Michael Brown "had it coming", I can maybe ask them if they think their son also has it coming, and remind them how their world would be different if he hadn't lived passed 18.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I know they have those Nature CDs to sleep to but I'd rather have ones like Outside Airport, Bowling Alley, Highway overpass, Cafeteria

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    So this is a pretty interesting article, talking to some of the white citizens of Ferguson and showing that they don't really understand the situation that exists there.

Blame poverty, not race, say Ferguson's white minority
    Ferguson's white Republican mayor, James Knowles, is clear: he will tell anyone who listens that there is no racial divide in the town, which has been hit by a fortnight of protest over the killing of a young African American, Michael Brown, by a white policeman.

And then of course, this guy:
    Steve Hewkin, who lets 20 properties as low-income housing, blames the government for dumping poor people in the city. "You end up renting to the least worst," he said. "Obama has destroyed the economy. The jobs are gone. The American dream is gone. These people have no hope and he put them here."

Hewkin, who said he assumes he's on a government watch list because he's a "white Christian gun-owner that believes in liberty", says he doesn't regard people who move from outside the city into low-income housing as even being part of Ferguson. "That over there isn't even our city. People in Ferguson don't even know they're there. Listen to those people talk, they're haters," he said.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular

As far as I know, this is legal and encouraged. At least in the US.

In fact, in Wyoming, between Laramie and Cheyenne, they have signs that say "Don't drive drowsy, pull over if you are tired."

I believe it's encouraged you do it in a rest stop, but no cop is going to arrest you for taking a nap on the shoulder.

• Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    Me and my parents' bank accounts are completely linked in case either of us has emergencies

I have never had a problem

I think I am in the minority

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Hewkin, who said he assumes he's on a government watch list because he's a "white Christian gun-owner that believes in liberty"

He sounds like a pleasant, balanced person to rent from...

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

In fact, in Wyoming, between Laramie and Cheyenne, they have signs that say "Don't drive drowsy, pull over if you are tired."

I believe it's encouraged you do it in a rest stop, but no cop is going to arrest you for taking a nap on the shoulder.

Well if you pull off the road in between Laramie and Cheyenne there are phones to help you with emergencies because there is nothing out there! Well between most of the cities in Wyoming there are yellow boxes a long the roadside for things because you are pretty much screwed
    I don't know if it's still true with the rise of cellphones

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

There's a good chance you'll get the attention of a passing officer or patrolman but it's incredibly unlikely you'll get cited for anything if you're sober.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    So they're 80% black and have a white republican mayor why

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    So they're 80% black and have a white republican mayor why

I can only assume the black populace is prevented from voting somehow, especially considering what we've seen of authority in ferguson so far

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    because community elections are notorious for having low turnout that is easily dominated by political machines

and there's a laundry list of other reasons why impoverished black people have a hard time voting

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I'd like to think things will be a bit different after all this, at least in Ferguson, but voter apathy is a tricky beast.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    In a mostly fictional TV series about Baltimore, Littlefinger got elected as the mayor of a majority-black city by splitting the black vote.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

so pissed off right now

Will your bank let you change your PIN? Seems like, for security reasons, you should be able to revoke access to that sort of thing.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »

There's a good chance you'll get the attention of a passing officer or patrolman but it's incredibly unlikely you'll get cited for anything if you're sober.

I believe it's illegal to sleep in your car in Pennsylvania, even at rest stops. I have had cops tell me I needed to get back to driving before.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Me and my parents' bank accounts are completely linked in case either of us has emergencies

I have never had a problem

I think I am in the minority

I was my mom's caretaker for the past decade , I had her linked to most everything and she never abused it once, she passed recently though, so now it's fun fighting family that now considers everything I own part of the estate because of the linked stuff.

( Family that basically didn't exist while she was alive either)

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    That seems insane.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    That seems insane.

Ya it's been pretty fun to deal with buried in grief at the same time.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    On that note ...

'Would Michael Brown still be here if we voted for the right people?'
    The group of Ferguson residents clumped around the makeshift memorial at the spot where a police officer shot Michael Brown readily admitted that two weeks ago they had little idea who ran their city.

They paid no attention to the fact that, while two-thirds of Ferguson’s residents are African American, all but one of the members of the city council is white. Or that the mayor is a Republican. Or who the police chief is.
    Just 12% of registered voters in the city cast a ballot in municipal elections last year but white people were three times more likely to vote than black people and so decided the outcome. In 2011 an even lower turnout elected a white Republican mayor.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    From that article:
    The circumstances of Brown’s death and the heavy-handed response by militarised police to protests over the killing first drew attention to the racial imbalance within Ferguson’s 50-strong police force which has only three black officers. But attention swiftly shifted to the makeup of the city council, which oversees the police, amid suspicions that the small African American representation meant the force did not feel accountable to the wider community.

Of course they're not accountable to the wider community with those voting statistics. Officials are accountable to voters. If you don't vote you're not holding them accountable.
    That's a precarious balance though, relying on apathy to remain in power.

I'm fairly sure though that the people in power did what they could to encourage that apathy.
    It's ironic really. In a false democracy the leaders will go through every effort to make the people believe that their vote and their voice matters and is heard by the people in charge. In a true (but flawed) democracy the leaders do everything to make people believe the opposite.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    We'll see what the statistics look like next voting cycle

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I'm hoping a lot of good can come out of all the horrible stuff that's been happening in Ferguson (such as police reform and accountability) but perhaps one of the lessons could be a civic one--it would be heartening to see the citizens of this, and other repressed-majority-communities take control through the civic process. Obviously there's a lot of power structure to fight, but if the people of Ferguson can show this level of persistence and solidarity in regards to their government, they might be able to do some good for the community, or at least oust some of the worst parts of it. Maybe that's a naive stance, but for all my cynicism, I still want to believe that the democratic process can work on the small scale.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I just kind of realized

can you imagine what the Daily Show would have been like for the past two weeks if it wasn't on hiatus?

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »

I believe it's illegal to sleep in your car in Pennsylvania, even at rest stops. I have had cops tell me I needed to get back to driving before.

I don't get it. What possible reason could there be for such a law, except to keep dangerous drivers on the road?

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular

I don't get it. What possible reason could there be for such a law, except to keep dangerous drivers on the road?

Punishing the homeless. There are a shocking number of laws that amount to this. Cities see them as a blight but fail to think of ways to help instead opting for ways to make it someone else's problem. States as well, though less commonly.

• Options
    Gnizmo wrote: »

Punishing the homeless. There are a shocking number of laws that amount to this. Cities see them as a blight but fail to think of ways to help instead opting for ways to make it someone else's problem. States as well, though less commonly.

captain-hammer.jpg

• Options
    I just kind of realized

can you imagine what the Daily Show would have been like for the past two weeks if it wasn't on hiatus?

The Daily Show always takes breaks during big important stuff for some reason

Not that Jon Stewart doesn't need one!

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    If I was to stretch my brain, sleeping anywhere but in a domicile may invite crime against your person

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    doors have a handy thing called car locks. most people are not going to break into a car with someone in it anyway.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I just kind of realized

It would Probably feel like the same thing every night.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    8/22/14 5:08 PM
    NEW INFORMATION: State Police say the gun used in the death of Victor White III is NOT a weapon carried by the Iberia Parish Sheriff's Officer.“My son didn't shoot himself. I never believed it. I won't believe it,” said Victor White, Sr., the father of 22-year-old Victor White, III, who back in March, died from a gunshot wound.

It happened while handcuffed in the backseat of an Iberia Parish Sheriff's Office patrol car, during a drug arrest. According to State Police, who are handling the investigation, once at the jail, White refused to exit the vehicle. As the arresting deputy requested assistance, they say white produced a handgun he had been hiding in his pants, and shot himself in the back.

But the autopsy, performed by the Iberia Parish Coroner's Office, reports the opposite, listing the cause of death as a gunshot wound to the chest. The family is puzzled as to how he could have shot himself in the chest with his hands cuffed behind his back.

"My initial response was correct, that something was awry, and that something had gone wrong,” said White, Sr.

The manner of death was ruled a suicide. But, the family of White aren't convinced.

State Police cannot comment, saying it's an ongoing investigation. White, Sr. says authorities aren't even talking to the family, leaving them without closure.

"Here is a family that, we are still grieving,” said White, Sr. “I'm angry the autopsy report took so long. I'm angry and frustrated with the fact that it's still not over."

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    That seems insane.

Doesn't really seem insane.

Just typical petty greedy bullshit.

Sadly, many perfectly sane people are very capable of demonstrating this.

I'm really sorry WMT that you've got to deal with that garbage while grieving. :(

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    NEW INFORMATION: State Police say the gun used in the death of Victor White III is NOT a weapon carried by the Iberia Parish Sheriff's Officer.“My son didn't shoot himself. I never believed it. I won't believe it,” said Victor White, Sr., the father of 22-year-old Victor White, III, who back in March, died from a gunshot wound.

It happened while handcuffed in the backseat of an Iberia Parish Sheriff's Office patrol car, during a drug arrest. According to State Police, who are handling the investigation, once at the jail, White refused to exit the vehicle. As the arresting deputy requested assistance, they say white produced a handgun he had been hiding in his pants, and shot himself in the back.

But the autopsy, performed by the Iberia Parish Coroner's Office, reports the opposite, listing the cause of death as a gunshot wound to the chest. The family is puzzled as to how he could have shot himself in the chest with his hands cuffed behind his back.

"My initial response was correct, that something was awry, and that something had gone wrong,” said White, Sr.

The manner of death was ruled a suicide. But, the family of White aren't convinced.

State Police cannot comment, saying it's an ongoing investigation. White, Sr. says authorities aren't even talking to the family, leaving them without closure.

"Here is a family that, we are still grieving,” said White, Sr. “I'm angry the autopsy report took so long. I'm angry and frustrated with the fact that it's still not over."

The "is NOT a weapon carried by the Iberia Parish Sheriff's Officer" part reads to me like he had a drop gun and used it to kill the kid.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    Weaver wrote: »

The "is NOT a weapon carried by the Iberia Parish Sheriff's Officer" part reads to me like he had a drop gun and used it to kill the kid.

Occam's Razor: they're just lying.

This discussion has been closed.