As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ferguson

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    Zavian wrote: »
    IF Brown did reach in to the cruiser, punch Wilson in the face and reached for his side-arm, under current law Wilson could justifiably use lethal force in self-defense. Ask any cop out there, if you go for their gun, they take that as a lethal threat. I'm a Jainist so I think every cop should not carry a firearm, but that is the current law of the land

'Brown reached for gun'...

Evidence 'does not support civil rights charges'...

I have no idea why we would ask every cop whether another cop was justified in shooting a black man.

Also, no, we're literally talking about this right now, and Brown having done something threatening in the past does not make him an imminent threat now and forever into the future.

You're also wilfully ignoring the part of the article where a witness states it was BROWN acting in self-defense:
    However, Mr. Johnson’s description of the scuffle is detailed and specific, and directly contradicts what Officer Wilson has told the authorities.

Mr. Johnson has said that Officer Wilson was the aggressor, backing up his vehicle and opening the door, which hit Mr. Johnson and Mr. Brown and then bounced back.

“He just reached his arm out the window and grabbed my friend around his neck, and he was trying to choke my friend,” Mr. Johnson told reporters after the shooting. “He was trying to get away, and the officer then reached out and grabbed his arm to pull him inside the car.”

Self-defense doesn't go in circles where you can claim self-defense against someone who's engaged in self-defense against you.

I just wanted to point out that you can claim excessive force and threat to life in defending yourself against someone who was initially defending themselves.

So, actually, ya it can circle right around.

IE you punch someone, they turn around and knock your ass flat then pull a gun or see you're carrying and go for yours. Or they try to like curb stomp you or something, you can absolutely claim an attempt to protect your life. Self defense actually escalates.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Good thing none of that actually happened, then, and also that he was shot six times after trying to run away.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Good thing none of that actually happened, then, and also that he was shot six times after trying to run away.

And that's why the entire thing will hinge on this alleged threatening step that Brown took towards Wilson when he was trying to surrender.

Because the right to self-defense does not extend to finishing someone off, so while anything that might have happened in the car could be justified, once Brown ran out of the car none of that is justification to gun him down, and the "imminent threat to the public" angle is so retarded as to not constitute a defense even in nutso scared white people land.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular

the jury's still out on that. At least the first one

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    MuddypawsMuddypaws Lactodorum, UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I don't know about the accurcy of the leak, but this article suggests Wilson will be free and clear in a few days. The photo near the bottom of Wilson smiling as he attends a council meeting doesn't have the look of a man worried much about anything so I would guess he already knows he's clear.

Guardian article

Muddypaws on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Muddypaws wrote: »
    I don't know about the accurcy of the leak, but this article suggests Wilson will be free and clear in a few days. The photo near the bottom of Wilson smiling as he attends a council meeting doesn't have the look of a man worried much about anything so I would guess he already knows he's clear.

Guardian article

"Look at the suspect in this photo and how much of a thug he looks like". Seriously, come on.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »
    speaking of news articles, wanna read an account of the happenings in the grand jury by a news website founded by Glenn Beck

edit: oh, that was done over two pages ago. woop woop woop

Don't read the comments don't read the comments don't read the GOD FUCKING DAMN IT

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014

Even if it did happen, and I don't believe for a nanosecond that it did, the officer was not justified in shooting an unarmed man running away according to the SCOTUS. You do not get to pursue an assailant and shoot them as they attempt to disengage from you. Even if you're a cop.

Graham v. Connor states the following:
    All claims that law enforcement officials have used excessive force—deadly or not—in the course of an arrest, investigatory stop, or other "seizure" of a free citizen are properly analyzed under the Fourth Amendment's "objective reasonableness" standard, rather than under a substantive due process standard. Pp. 490 U. S. 392-399.

And the use of force continuum is cited in this article with regard to what a reasonable police response would have been to inappropriate protest behavior:
    "In general, police officers in the United States train around what we refer to as 'continuum of force.' So that means first you identify yourself as a cop. This should stop individuals from transgressing. Then you ask people to disperse with verbal command. Then if it doesn't work it escalates to use of force including 'impact techniques' and then less than deadly force which includes gas and various equipment," said Maria Haberfeld, the chair of the Department of Law, Police Science and Criminal Justice Administration at John Jay College.

The use of force continuum is, in general, supposed to be constructed around a reasonableness standard as defined by Graham v. Connor, but either the continuum established in Ferguson is way out of whack with anything reasonable or they are ignoring it entirely.

At this point, I'm becoming more and more convinced that state and local police ought to be held to both state and federal standards. The use of force continuum ought not be something decided upon locally; it should be a semi-rigid set of rules about when force may be escalated. We already have Supreme Court precedent for shooting fleeing, unarmed suspects being totally unacceptable. It ought to result in criminal charges every single time it happens, with very few and very rare exceptions for when an officer honestly believes someone is in imminent danger. For instance, a bank robber holding a teller hostage with what appears to be a real gun but is in reality not. What I explicitly do not mean is a situation involving an unarmed and fleeing suspect having four AK-47s and ten grenades in the officer's fevered and wild imagination.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    edited October 2014

Guardian article

Calm it down here. The photo in the article you linked is a screen cap from a video:

5a888fd6-37f9-443b-9974-75766ae6a9fd-460x276.jpeg

A New York Times article has a different screen cap quite obviously from the very same council meeting, and their article cites the meeting as being in February:

JP-FERGUSON2-articleLarge.jpg
    Darren Wilson, the officer who shot Mr. Brown, at a City Council meeting in Ferguson, Mo., in February

You'll also notice the large winter coats on the backs of the chairs of the people attending the meeting, which are unlikely to be necessary in St. Louis in October, where the highs have recently been in the 60's and low 70s.

There's a stupid huge pile of other reasons to worry the grand jury will clear Wilson, but this is at least not one of them.

EDIT: The most upsetting thing about the photos, really, is that the council meeting is packed full of white people.

Cog on
  • Options
    Spaffy wrote: »
    speaking of news articles, wanna read an account of the happenings in the grand jury by a news website founded by Glenn Beck

Don't read the comments don't read the comments don't read the GOD FUCKING DAMN IT

This is axiomatic for all Ferguson articles anymore.

• Options
    Cog wrote: »

• Options
    MuddypawsMuddypaws Lactodorum, UKRegistered User regular
    Ok, apologies about the premature photo commentary. I was just alarmed at the lumbering step he took towards me in the video.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    edited October 2014

The Blaze is a special sort of crazy, though...

I can't stop reading and it's making me so fucking angry

Spaffy on
    ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

And that's why the entire thing will hinge on this alleged threatening step that Brown took towards Wilson when he was trying to surrender.

Because the right to self-defense does not extend to finishing someone off, so while anything that might have happened in the car could be justified, once Brown ran out of the car none of that is justification to gun him down, and the "imminent threat to the public" angle is so retarded as to not constitute a defense even in nutso scared white people land.

Listen, I've got some bad news for you.

You might want to spend a little time with your faith in humanity.

You know?

While you still can?

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    It's too late for us, save yourself!

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited October 2014

Even if it did happen, and I don't believe for a nanosecond that it did, the officer was not justified in shooting an unarmed man running away according to the SCOTUS. You do not get to pursue an assailant and shoot them as they attempt to disengage from you. Even if you're a cop.

Graham v. Connor states the following:
    All claims that law enforcement officials have used excessive force—deadly or not—in the course of an arrest, investigatory stop, or other "seizure" of a free citizen are properly analyzed under the Fourth Amendment's "objective reasonableness" standard, rather than under a substantive due process standard. Pp. 490 U. S. 392-399.

And the use of force continuum is cited in this article with regard to what a reasonable police response would have been to inappropriate protest behavior:
    "In general, police officers in the United States train around what we refer to as 'continuum of force.' So that means first you identify yourself as a cop. This should stop individuals from transgressing. Then you ask people to disperse with verbal command. Then if it doesn't work it escalates to use of force including 'impact techniques' and then less than deadly force which includes gas and various equipment," said Maria Haberfeld, the chair of the Department of Law, Police Science and Criminal Justice Administration at John Jay College.

The use of force continuum is, in general, supposed to be constructed around a reasonableness standard as defined by Graham v. Connor, but either the continuum established in Ferguson is way out of whack with anything reasonable or they are ignoring it entirely.

At this point, I'm becoming more and more convinced that state and local police ought to be held to both state and federal standards. The use of force continuum ought not be something decided upon locally; it should be a semi-rigid set of rules about when force may be escalated. We already have Supreme Court precedent for shooting fleeing, unarmed suspects being totally unacceptable. It ought to result in criminal charges every single time it happens, with very few and very rare exceptions for when an officer honestly believes someone is in imminent danger. For instance, a bank robber holding a teller hostage with what appears to be a real gun but is in reality not. What I explicitly do not mean is a situation involving an unarmed and fleeing suspect having four AK-47s and ten grenades in the officer's fevered and wild imagination.

Can we just put this (and Josh's other post on Tennessee vs. Garner) in the OP?

hippofant on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular

Guardian article

Calm it down here. The photo in the article you linked is a screen cap from a video:

5a888fd6-37f9-443b-9974-75766ae6a9fd-460x276.jpeg

A New York Times article has a different screen cap quite obviously from the very same council meeting, and their article cites the meeting as being in February:

JP-FERGUSON2-articleLarge.jpg
    Darren Wilson, the officer who shot Mr. Brown, at a City Council meeting in Ferguson, Mo., in February

You'll also notice the large winter coats on the backs of the chairs of the people attending the meeting, which are unlikely to be necessary in St. Louis in October, where the highs have recently been in the 60's and low 70s.

There's a stupid huge pile of other reasons to worry the grand jury will clear Wilson, but this is at least not one of them.

EDIT: The most upsetting thing about the photos, really, is that the council meeting is packed full of white people.

Didn't Wilson get some kind of award back then?

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYx2S_cvjBY

Jaywalking + fleeing from police. I assume the suspect was put down.

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYx2S_cvjBY

Jaywalking + fleeing from police. I assume the suspect was put down.

Well the suspect wasn't white...

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    I'm certain honking your horns and playing with your siren is going to calm that horse right down.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    That horse was more of a threat to the public than Mike Brown was.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    Y'know the more I think about it the more that kind of pisses me off.

Police will go to great lengths to corral and capture a frightened animal, one that can cause significant injury, even death, with one solid kick. And it's scared and confused and not acting rationally. And no weapons are out, even though anyone approaching it is at risk. And I bet that even if one of the cops was struck by the horse, the others wouldn't immediately unload sixty-seven bullets into the horse. They would show restraint.

Horses: literally treated better than the citizens of Ferguson.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Y'know the more I think about it the more that kind of pisses me off.

Police will go to great lengths to corral and capture a frightened animal, one that can cause significant injury, even death, with one solid kick. And it's scared and confused and not acting rationally. And no weapons are out, even though anyone approaching it is at risk. And I bet that even if one of the cops was struck by the horse, the others wouldn't immediately unload sixty-seven bullets into the horse. They would show restraint.

Horses: literally treated better than the citizens of Ferguson.

Not just horses. It's animals as a whole. Barring rabies or other similar aggressive acts by an animal (except for Pit Bulls...so don't search for that recent video of a cop shooting a Pit), humans kind of lose their minds about protecting them from harm.

Silly example within (also with a literal spoiler for the book A Time to Kill):
    In A Time to Kill, the protagonist is attacked by the local Klan and they burn his house down. His dog is killed as it was so sudden he was lucky to get out himself.

In the movie, the dog survives.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Killing a pet is oftentimes done in media to drive home just how horrible a character is. I mean, they can kill tons of people no problem, but a dog?

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Killing a pet is oftentimes done in media to drive home just how horrible a character is. I mean, they can kill tons of people no problem, but a dog?

Hence: John Wick.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Actually there have been numerous publicized instances of cops shooting the family dog for barking at them. One even happened when the cop was searching back yards for a suspect and shot the dog of a completely innocent person because he wanted to search their yard.

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Actually there have been numerous publicized instances of cops shooting the family dog for barking at them. One even happened when the cop was searching back yards for a suspect and shot the dog of a completely innocent person because he wanted to search their yard.

Yeah, my parent's installed a fence after the cops shot the neighbors dog for breaking out.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I'm not familiar with The Blaze. Is it some psycho site?

"Officer Wilson is an American hero and should be awarded the “Police Medal of Honor” for heroic protection of the public from a vicious, domestic terrorist bent upon robbery, mayhem, and the murder of a law enforcement official. Anyone who supports Brown is either a Black racist of a communist useful idiot. Is that clear? Is that crystal clear?"

What? What? What?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I think this comment bothers me the most of all comments on that site:

"I do not think that word means what you think it means – Indigo Mantoya"

Indigo Mantoya, huh?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with The Blaze. Is it some psycho site?

"Officer Wilson is an American hero and should be awarded the “Police Medal of Honor” for heroic protection of the public from a vicious, domestic terrorist bent upon robbery, mayhem, and the murder of a law enforcement official. Anyone who supports Brown is either a Black racist of a communist useful idiot. Is that clear? Is that crystal clear?"

What? What? What?

It's Glenn Beck.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch has the County's autopsy (pdf).

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    I think this comment bothers me the most of all comments on that site:

"I do not think that word means what you think it means – Indigo Mantoya"

Indigo Mantoya, huh?

Don't read the comments anywhere. When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back and Cthulhu is hungry.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    My conclusion from the autopsy is that the downward trajectories of the shots to the head are the key new information.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    That matches up pretty well with what we already knew from eyewitness accounts. Wilson's gun went off in the car, hitting Brown in the hand, so he ran. The downward trajectories in the head wounds could have been caused by Brown either bending forward, or falling over from the earlier shots.

• Options
    hippofant wrote: »

I just linked the primary source, because that article (or at least the headline) strikes me as super biased.

• Options
    The other awesome thing in there is the passive voice being used on the gun becoming unholstered. How did that happen? The gun just got out, who knows how.

• Options
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people they just unholster themselves from time to time.

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    That matches up pretty well with what we already knew from eyewitness accounts. Wilson's gun went off in the car, hitting Brown in the hand, so he ran. The downward trajectories in the head wounds could have been caused by Brown either bending forward, or falling over from the earlier shots.

Didn't we already know about the downward trajectory from the original autopsy? And isn't that why they came up with the narrative that he was charging at the officer?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people they just unholster themselves from time to time.

The cap comes off for like, no reason - Archer

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
This discussion has been closed.