Options

The JRPG Thread

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah. I loved Wild Arms 2.

I want to play 1 but the graphics and presentation are just way too early PS1 era for my tastes.

3 was decent. 4 had a pretty fun battle system but man was the plot unbearable.

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Completely random Voice Actor note: the voice actor for Wakka (FFX) is Bender. Once I learned that, I could never unhear it.

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    SLyM wrote: »
    One of my problems with a lot of JRPGs is that they seem like they're designed for the slowest possible people.

Not only in that it usually takes hours before you're out of tutorial land, but every

single

plot point gets repeated at least twice, because hey, are you listening? this is really important!

Watch the Giant Bomb Chrono Trigger Endurance Run

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    I played the first one at release and thought it looked amazing, I doubt its aged well at all. I didn't know there was a 4, damn

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Wild Arms 4 was godawful.

Wild Arms 5 was passable, but nothing special like I feel the first two were at the time.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    Who Wore It Better

ff13-snow-villiers.jpg
    Oza3OX4.png

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Definitely Snow.

Never Zay.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Reading the thread has given me the itch for a good jrpg. Might be time to pick up Star Ocean 2 for my PSP. Always meant to do it but never got around to it. Which for those who do not know is a great system for that genre. There are plenty of great PS Classic games plus fantastic ports/remakes and plenty of new titles. It became my main source of jrpgs for a long time. Then again I only originally bought one to play the update Final Fantasy Tactics so I an a little biased.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Wild Arms 1 got a PS2 remake a while back (Alter Code F) better graphics,much better translation, but the battle system felt like it lost something, unless I remembered the original wrong.

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Syphyre wrote: »
    Completely random Voice Actor note: the voice actor for Wakka (FFX) is Bender. Once I learned that, I could never unhear it.

He also does Marcus fenix

• Options

Which really makes me wish bender had screamed "a giant worm!?" In that episode where they found out where slurm came from.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    man, whatever happened to the Grandia games? G3 was kinda garbo but Grandia II was SUPER interesting, I always hoped they'd make more of those.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Okay jurp thread, time for me to delve into my first Ys game. I've got 1, 2, or Origins to choose from.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    man, whatever happened to the Grandia games? G3 was kinda garbo but Grandia II was SUPER interesting, I always hoped they'd make more of those.

Last thing they did with Grandia was an online game so I think that means not to expect anything from it for the foreseeable future.

Speaking of old series that really could use a new entry...man do I wish I could get a Suikoden 6 thats an actual sequel to Suikoden 3.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    My first Grandia was 2 on the Dreamcast and all of my friends and i loved it. Amazing combat that is complex without being impenetrable. Put a lot of time into it and really enjoyed it. I never followed along with the series after that. I cannot remember the exact reason but something about 3 turned me off.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Okay jurp thread, time for me to delve into my first Ys game. I've got 1, 2, or Origins to choose from.

I started with Origins and really liked it. And my best friend (who has played a bunch of Ys games) recommends Origins, too.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    The giant worm part of gears 2 is the best wrpg

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    furlion wrote: »
    My first Grandia was 2 on the Dreamcast and all of my friends and i loved it. Amazing combat that is complex without being impenetrable. Put a lot of time into it and really enjoyed it. I never followed along with the series after that. I cannot remember the exact reason but something about 3 turned me off.

Could have been the cliche as hell plot and the annoying ass characters.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Oath is a little shorter and also has more area variety. I'd suggest starting there.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »

I started with Origins and really liked it. And my best friend (who has played a bunch of Ys games) recommends Origins, too.

That's the one I was leaning towards. Origins it is.

• Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    Oh god there are so many games to play

• Options

And Jake the dog from adventure time

• Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    and the joker from under the red hood

and the convicts from the arkham games

• Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    and *checks wikipedia*

someone else in something too

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    He was also Gilgamesh that one time!

Should have stayed as Gilgamesh all the time...

• Options
    And the guards from the prison in the riddick game.

Dudes been around.

• Options
    And the guards from the prison in the riddick game.

Dudes been around.

Blum's been around more.

It's almost impossible to find a game (with voice acting) that Blum hasn't been in.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I played through oath of ferghalina and origins and origins was much better. going back to oath after origins was difficult, some of the bosses were straight up cheap and adol does not control as well as yunica. like his wind skill is only for long jumps, yunica's is for long jumps, damage, and it's so much faster that it turns into a handy aerial dodge skill. the only thing that really stood out was the final two bosses.

• Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    I'm in Steam levels of choice anxiety of what to pick to play

• Options

Let me decide for you

you will play...

TWO WORLDS

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Hello JRPG thread

I just spent a little time making a Spotify playlist of the soundtracks from the first four Tony Hawk games because there are some on Spotify but the tracks aren't in the order that they are in the game, and some of them go past THPS4 which is pretty much unknown territory as far as my nostalgia is concerned

Yes I know Tony Hawk is not a JRPG at all but I just want to say that I am unreasonably sad that we'll in all likelihood never get another good THPS game (pretty much definite with Neversoft dead), it may have been the most pure fun series I've ever played, maybe even more so than Rock Band

Please return to anime jurps and wild west jurps

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    furlion wrote: »

Could have been the cliche as hell plot and the annoying ass characters.

yeah the plot and characters were basically cribbed from every Tales game ever

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Knob wrote: »

Let me decide for you

you will play...

TWO WORLDS

jesus christ why would you do that to him

• Options
    cuz its funny! like waiting for a guy to climb a ladder then kicking it out from under him

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    cuz its funny! like waiting for a guy to climb a ladder then kicking it out from under him

that uh... that could kill him

• Options
    well duh, that's why its funny

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

Holy shit you're a downer

• Options
    Played that already nt knob

• Options
    Played that already nt knob

is there a sequel?

i think theres a sequel

HOP TO

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

Two Worlds or the ladder

This discussion has been closed.