As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MechWarrior Online] Thread Reactor Critical! Eject! Eject!

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Wait, they introduced the Clan mechs with the same advantages as they had in the tabletop game? Christ what a slaughter.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Wait, they introduced the Clan mechs with the same advantages as they had in the tabletop game? Christ what a slaughter.

Not exactly but...

still a pretty sneaky way to get some form of temporary pay-to-win what with the very slow trickle of Clan tech for those who either A: bought IS packs or B: want to spend no money on the game.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    I am running a DRG-5N tonight, the only Dragon I've got. I really need to unlock speed tweak. I'm not even sure if I'm running that good of a build. I have a 340XL (I think? Not in game right now), 2x ERLLAS, 3x MG (2t), 1x SRM 6 (2.5t), AMS (1.5t), max armor, DHS. It seems to work just fine as an all-rounder and especially as a brawler, but the armor seems nearly too light. I think with a bit more speed I would have greater success.

*bro hug*

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    @mvrck and @kusmeroglu where are yoooouu?!
    Shaggy_Rogers.gif

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    @mvrck and @kusmeroglu where are yoooouu?!
    Shaggy_Rogers.gif

Probably recovering from PAX-fueled hangovers.

(Kinda wish I was, too)

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »

No, they aren't nearly as OP as the TT. They are certainly very good, but they have disadvantages. We had quite the rolling discussion in here for a while as to whether Clan tech was really as OP was it seemed, or if IS pilots just needed to adapt. It ended up being a bit of column A and a bit of column B. Clan mechs are strong, but non-clan pilots also had to learn what a clan mech could and couldn't do.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    Hi Thread,

So, I feel like mentioning a disparity that I've noticed.

For your consideration: The current Champion Mech, the BJ-1.

http://www.mechspecs.com/forum/index.php?topic=1476.0

And a non-champion Hunchback build i'm running:

http://www.mechspecs.com/forum/index.php?topic=917.0

I've been playing these both, only upping my armor rather than have 3 small lasers on the Hunchback. In just about every way, so far, the Blackjack is a superior mech to me. It's just as fast, if not faster, has versatility with jump jets, and is packing the same amount of Firepower, at 5 tons less, and with less dependency on losing the right torso if things go to pot.

I should clarify i'm ass-deep in hunchbacks. I've always loved the chassis. I've got a 9 medium laser version that's kind of fun to play. But this version, compared to the BJ-1? Eh.

Am I crazy? Am I missing something?

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I am running a DRG-5N tonight, the only Dragon I've got. I really need to unlock speed tweak. I'm not even sure if I'm running that good of a build. I have a 340XL (I think? Not in game right now), 2x ERLLAS, 3x MG (2t), 1x SRM 6 (2.5t), AMS (1.5t), max armor, DHS. It seems to work just fine as an all-rounder and especially as a brawler, but the armor seems nearly too light. I think with a bit more speed I would have greater success.

*bro hug*

Is that a decent build? I might switch to non-ER lasers. The ERs are fine when sniping, but things can get hot when brawling and using the SRM.

I was also thinking 2x MPLAS might be good, with a slightly larger engine and a couple more heatsinks.

• Options
    edited September 2014

*bro hug*

Is that a decent build? I might switch to non-ER lasers. The ERs are fine when sniping, but things can get hot when brawling and using the SRM.

I was also thinking 2x MPLAS might be good, with a slightly larger engine and a couple more heatsinks.

I know a lot of people that use 325s for build and most of my builds are centers around the xl300, but with the Summoner/Timberwolf being just as fast I'm starting to think I need some escape speed. 360 is max which gets you 97/106

Any "good build" is a build you do well with. Some people like running the 5N with triple AC2, I ran mine for a long time with dual AC5

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    If you are liking it, though, I'd say get the 1C

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    edited September 2014
    3lwap0 wrote: »
    Hi Thread,

I've been playing these both, only upping my armor rather than have 3 small lasers on the Hunchback. In just about every way, so far, the Blackjack is a superior mech to me. It's just as fast, if not faster, has versatility with jump jets, and is packing the same amount of Firepower, at 5 tons less, and with less dependency on losing the right torso if things go to pot.

I should clarify i'm ass-deep in hunchbacks. I've always loved the chassis. I've got a 9 medium laser version that's kind of fun to play. But this version, compared to the BJ-1? Eh.

I think the only thing you're missing is the extra armor (which is a minor-to-moderate advantage, offset by Da Hunch; those BJ legs are crazy light-armored) and the zombie-ness provided by a standard engine vs. the XL in the BJ. Which, losing the right torso on, kills you dead. So that's a thing.

On a strict weapon-loadout-matched comparison, the Blackjack's probably a better platform for the AC/20+ML build because of the jump jets. The durability of the standard-engine build Hunchback makes it a better brawler, however.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular

*bro hug*

I know a lot of people that use 325s for build and most of my builds are centers around the xl300, but with the Summoner/Timberwolf being just as fast I'm starting to think I need some escape speed. 360 is max which gets you 97/106

Any "good build" is a build you do well with. Some people like running the 5N with triple AC2, I ran mine for a long time with dual AC5

Yeah, that's where I'm at about good builds. I tend to have my best matches with the Firestarter. When I realized I could get the 5N well over the 100kph mark I started to think of it as a heavier hitting and better armored Firestarter. It certainly seems capable of filling a fast attack role. I haven't really used SRMs in the past, and that's the biggest learning curve for me.

• Options
    If you are liking it, though, I'd say get the 1C

*bro hug*

Yeah, that's where I'm at about good builds. I tend to have my best matches with the Firestarter. When I realized I could get the 5N well over the 100kph mark I started to think of it as a heavier hitting and better armored Firestarter. It certainly seems capable of filling a fast attack role. I haven't really used SRMs in the past, and that's the biggest learning curve for me.

Right now my 5N is AC10, 2MLAS LRM10 with a 300 engine.

If you got the 350 engine (extra dhs slot, few km/h slower than fastest) then doing something with quick reposition ac2s/lrm/MLAs for close fighting would be worth checking out.

In my 1N is used 1mlas/ac10/2xSRM4 with a 360

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular

*bro hug*

Ive been downgraded to "some people" now eh? Triple AC2 Dragon is best Dragon

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    In other news i caved and bought the BNC-3S. I was on the fence until i saw a lovely clip over on reddit with one running a shit pile of lasers and standard heat sinks. So i figured id drop a huge pile of cbills on it since i dont have to drop a smaller huge pile on DHS for it.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    Hi Thread,

I think the only thing you're missing is the extra armor (which is a minor-to-moderate advantage, offset by Da Hunch; those BJ legs are crazy light-armored) and the zombie-ness provided by a standard engine vs. the XL in the BJ. Which, losing the right torso on, kills you dead. So that's a thing.

On a strict weapon-loadout-matched comparison, the Blackjack's probably a better platform for the AC/20+ML build because of the jump jets. The durability of the standard-engine build Hunchback makes it a better brawler, however.

Yeah the Hunchie can stay with the group of heavies/assaults in the firing line, while the BJ-1 really needs to ducks and weave a lot more. I love them both, though. That XL engine is a big deal, though. you gotta twist and turn with ferocity, whereas I feel like it's EASIER to just outright protect the hunch for as long as possible.

I wish there was a third viable BJ, but I only like the -1 and the -1X. Compared to hunchbacks, which have the 4G, 4P, and 4SP, which are all solid.

What's the consensus on The Arrow?

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    In other news i caved and bought the BNC-3S. I was on the fence until i saw a lovely clip over on reddit with one running a shit pile of lasers and standard heat sinks. So i figured id drop a huge pile of cbills on it since i dont have to drop a smaller huge pile on DHS for it.

You're a crazy, crazy man.

Elbasunu wrote: »

What's the consensus on The Arrow?

It has a fabulous paint job, and some seriously troll-y builds. 6xMG for cleanup? dakkadakkadakkadakkadakkadakkadakkadakkadakkadakkadakkadakkadakkadakkadakkadakkadakkadakkadakkadakka...

• Options
    What's a BNC?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Remember that one of the Dragon quirks is faster ballistic firing, so the 3ac2 and uac5/ac5 builds are even faster now

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    What's a BNC?

B(a)NC(heeeeeee). Ban-C. Banshee.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    What's a BNC?

Banshee, also the Arrow can mount dual AC20s. in a medium.

• Options
    Nips wrote: »
    What's a BNC?

B(a)NC(heeeeeee). Ban-C. Banshee.

That is dumb.

That's like making a Cicada SKD

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    imperialparadoximperialparadox Houston, TXRegistered User regular

If it wasn't for the DDC I would say that Banshees are comparable to the Atlas. The Banshee has great shield arms and you can do some builds on it like 2xPPC 3xAC5, and not even feel dirty for that build anymore in light of the Clanner mechs. It's still slow though, and I hate being slow. :(

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo Network ID: imperialparadox | 3DS FC: 2294-4029-6793
    XBL Gamertag: Paradox3351 | PSN: imperialparadox
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    popped in game to and rejigged my Jager-A into the SRM Brawler. 4xSRM6, 2xML, 2xMG with a standard engine, however I think its only going to be viable with groups cause the pugs just want to hillhump lrm spam and gauss snipe and not close the distance.

Have to chain fire the SRMs until I get doubles cause they heat spike way to high (build was fine on standard heatsinks until now, which is why it still doesn't have them.)

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    You pretty much want a long range weapon on any mech in a PUG, just to guarantee that you have something to do if the range isn't closed (except for lights). I like all-brawling builds, but some matches you end up not really doing anything (Alpine I'm looking at you).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    You pretty much want a long range weapon on any mech in a PUG, just to guarantee that you have something to do if the range isn't closed (except for lights). I like all-brawling builds, but some matches you end up not really doing anything (Alpine I'm looking at you).

Yeah, I hate Alpine. Its just so unfair on both ends, it feels like a cheap win when you get the mountain first, and its bullshit frustration when you don't.

I think my favorite map is Canyon Network. not enough LRM cover but still pretty nice.

• Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular

If it wasn't for the DDC I would say that Banshees are comparable to the Atlas. The Banshee has great shield arms and you can do some builds on it like 2xPPC 3xAC5, and not even feel dirty for that build anymore in light of the Clanner mechs. It's still slow though, and I hate being slow. :(

Only reason to bring an Atlas is for ECM. Banshee's the only tanky IS Assault at the moment that can actually put out Clan level DPS. I'd really like to try it too, but I never seem to get ECM unless I bring it myself.

• Options
    The lack of cover is ok on Canyon because you have lots of ways to break LOS at least, though there is cover if you hug the pillars on the top. If you get NARC'd your screwed, but that meant that a light was able to hit you with a NARC, which I think is fair more or less.

I think my favorite map is HPG though - neat sound effects, and there are several ways to go about playing it. You can try to take the top, or say fuck LRM's and go underground. There's also a decent amount of cover and LOS-breakers on the map.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The lack of cover is ok on Canyon because you have lots of ways to break LOS at least, though there is cover if you hug the pillars on the top. If you get NARC'd your screwed, but that meant that a light was able to hit you with a NARC, which I think is fair more or less.

I think my favorite map is HPG though - neat sound effects, and there are several ways to go about playing it. You can try to take the top, or say fuck LRM's and go underground. There's also a decent amount of cover and LOS-breakers on the map.

yeah HPG is good, I prefer taking the basement though because its LRM free good ol' fashion brawl time down there.

as opposed to up top which is gausszilla land.

• Options
    I agree: DaMoon(map)Rulz

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    I guess I need to learn to Hunchie better, but once my torso is shot out on the Hunchie, it's game over with a single medium laser. It's fast. 80+ kph, but I think folks just target the hunch when the brawl is underway. It's difficult to keep terrain in consideration when you're in the middle of a knife fight.

The BJ on the other hand, seems to have about equal longevity (if you play smart), and more maneuverability. The leg armor is a thing - but it's not a deal breaker mercifully.

I'm thinking about getting the SRM boat Hunhback - it seems like a different take on the 'ol chassis.

• Options
    The Hunchback is the iconic reason why I don't like asymmetrical mechs.

So much firepower tends to be packed in one side that they are rendered a complete waste with one bad shot. at least with more symmetrical mechs like Jagers and Jenners don't lose 90% of their firepower by losing a torso, at worse its only 50%ish.

• Options
    Honestly the Hunchback isn't a good mech nowadays, which is a shame because it's one of my favorite mechs. The idea of a shoulder mounted AC20 makes me laugh.

I know some people will say but look at this cool match I had with my Hunchback, but that's just pilot skill - you can do the same thing in other mechs that you can do with a Hunchback, while also having jump jets or better hitboxes.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I guess I need to learn to Hunchie better, but once my torso is shot out on the Hunchie, it's game over with a single medium laser. It's fast. 80+ kph, but I think folks just target the hunch when the brawl is underway. It's difficult to keep terrain in consideration when you're in the middle of a knife fight.

The BJ on the other hand, seems to have about equal longevity (if you play smart), and more maneuverability. The leg armor is a thing - but it's not a deal breaker mercifully.

I'm thinking about getting the SRM boat Hunhback - it seems like a different take on the 'ol chassis.

Oh, I missed a part here: You really need to be running 3 ML's on the 4g with that AC/20. Do what must be done.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    The Hunchback is the iconic reason why I don't like asymmetrical mechs.

So much firepower tends to be packed in one side that they are rendered a complete waste with one bad shot. at least with more symmetrical mechs like Jagers and Jenners don't lose 90% of their firepower by losing a torso, at worse its only 50%ish.

Jenners lose 100% of their firepower when they lose a torso.
    Note that this never actually happens because of dat nose.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    can someone justify AC/2s to me?

I mean, I know they have a super long range, but I don't see the point of mounting them at all. They seem like a wasted weapon, a ML can do the damage of almost 3 of them for 1 ton, meanwhile AC/2s take 6 tons plus ammo. I just can't think of a time where they would be preferred over AC/5s or 10s.

I mean, I know they are small, but hell MGs would be better mounts for the crits in cracked armor over AC/2s?

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    AC/2s used to be pretty darn good long range weapons from a DPS standpoint, but now they are kind of useless I think. Way too heavy for what you get from them, and they actually run very hot because they fire so quickly and ghost heat and all that stuff.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Wasn't too long ago that every mech in the game seemed to be a wolverine that looked like wolverine. (3 AC/2s in the arm)

• Options
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    can someone justify AC/2s to me?

I mean, I know they have a super long range, but I don't see the point of mounting them at all. They seem like a wasted weapon, a ML can do the damage of almost 3 of them for 1 ton, meanwhile AC/2s take 6 tons plus ammo. I just can't think of a time where they would be preferred over AC/5s or 10s.

I mean, I know they are small, but hell MGs would be better mounts for the crits in cracked armor over AC/2s?

They used to have triple max range, instead of double, but they've been worse since the nerf.

When they were good they usually worked well when you had three of them, and you would just shit out a constant stream of Dakka while terrorizing pubbies with relenteless screenshake. If your target was dumb and didn't run for cover (aka a lot of pubbies) the DPS would destroy them - if they did run for cover, well, you just took a mech out of the fight.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Before the ghost heat nerf and the nerf to the shake they were a really good weapon in groups. 3 ac2s puts out way more dps than a mlas. It is easier to keep it all on one spot. But now they are kind of a joke. No reason to really carry them unless you are doing something like the triple nipple.

u7stthr17eud.png