As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PaxNorth

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Come to Alberta!

We have looking at cows!

#pipe on
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Alberta is a perfectly lovely place as long as you avoid the people

see also: Cape Breton

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    @Fearghaill Just FYI, skydiving tends to not help with fear of heights. Theory is you start off too high to appreciate the height, and when you get low enough, you go through it too fast to desensitize to it.
    Anecdotally, that's what happened to me, which is why I checked into why it didn't work.

chromdom on
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    @Fearghaill Just FYI, skydiving tends to not help with fear of heights. Theory is you start off too high to appreciate the height, and when you get low enough, you go through it too fast to desensitize to it.
    Anecdotally, that's what happened to me, which is why I checked into why it didn't work.

the issue isn't that I'm trying to get over a fear of heights, it's that I'm trying to test where my boundaries are where I start to get scared, but I get what you mean.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Alberta is a perfectly lovely place as long as you avoid the people

see also: Cape Breton

That's the same for everywhere though. People are the worst. Get rid of them and yay!

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    ololol Manitoba

I could possibly hit up east or west, east might make more sense imo since it's further from Prime and all, I meet a lot of folks from Vancouver already that way. Was chilling in YVR en route to PAX and back, sometimes stay for a couple days beforehand (up until PAX Dev was a thing, anyway).

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    A friend recently drove up from MI and he didn't have a passport as of 1 month ago. Apparently it's not too difficult to get one of those upgraded driver's licenses that also act as a passport? I suppose it would depend on the State, though. The hardest part about getting a passport is parting with the fee.

I've always joked with friends who like the country life/roughing it that I will never EVER go camping unless it's a cottage/cabin deal with functional plumbing and electricity.

I think the main thing to figure out is once we get a rough estimate of a headcount, what place is big enough to house that many people (outside of a hotel) and what all are the plans? If we're in a city, we'll undoubtedly have a few people who want to do the touristy stuff. For Toronto, that means the CN Tower, maybe Canada's Wonderland (if it's open at the time), the Art Gallery of Ontario or the Royal Ontario Museum. Maybe catch a sports game? Ottawa, umm... Parliament Hill? The Civ Museum? Montreal... I only know the bars along Rue St. Catherines, sadly. And it's been 8 or 9 years since I was last there.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Montreal has the Olympic stadium, old port and Mt. Royal

those are pretty much the big touristy places.

sig.gif
  • Options
    oh and Place des Arts in the summer because it's just constant back-to-back festivals.

Actually they got one in the winter there too.

Oh and Parc Jean-Drapeau with La Ronde. Only in the summer there though.

sig.gif
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Lakeside Park! Especially in May?

erfderf Edit: HHOF

chromdom on
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    DMAC wrote: »
    Also: Alberta PAX.

@DMAC I'll do alberta PAX with you, we can just get drunk at like ranchman's or something

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    y'all come to a cowboy bar in alberta and i will put on a bull-riding clinic

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    A friend recently drove up from MI and he didn't have a passport as of 1 month ago. Apparently it's not too difficult to get one of those upgraded driver's licenses that also act as a passport? I suppose it would depend on the State, though. The hardest part about getting a passport is parting with the fee.

Oh yeah you can use Enhanced Drivers Licenses provided you are from MI, WA, NY, VT, or AZ.

LuvTheMonkey on
    Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Put me down for eastern CanPax. I would prefer Montreal to Toronto (because I live there hi5 @SimBen‌ @IcyLiquid‌ ) Speaking of which, we should invite Icy to the proceedings.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    T4CT wrote: »
    DMAC wrote: »
    Also: Alberta PAX.

@DMAC I'll do alberta PAX with you, we can just get drunk at like ranchman's or something

I'm currently doing graphic design (posters/flyers/etc.) for The Ranch Roadhouse in Edmonton.

• Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Hey, I haven't been around here much lately, but I'm living in Kingston which is pretty darn close to Toronto/Ottawa/Montreal if you didn't know. I went to a forumer meetup a few years back at a Korean BBQ grill in Toronto and would love to do something like that again now that I'm a slightly less awkward dink.

Edit: I'm realizing now that was a big bunch of years ago and @Brolo was there I think?

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I don't really have any definite plans to visit Canada in the near future, but it's also been about a decade since I headed up with Jen to visit her family in the great north, so the possibility does exist.

I probably won't be able to get everything to sync up and fall into place, but I'm keeping the thread bookmarked just in case.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Hey, I haven't been around here much lately, but I'm living in Kingston which is pretty darn close to Toronto/Ottawa/Montreal if you didn't know. I went to a forumer meetup a few years back at a Korean BBQ grill in Toronto and would love to do something like that again now that I'm a slightly less awkward dink.

Edit: I'm realizing now that was a big bunch of years ago and @Brolo was there I think?

Yeah, that was like 5 years ago now I think, it was a good time!

• Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

Yeah, that was like 5 years ago now I think, it was a good time!

I was too young to drink at the time so I ended up leaving early thinking, "man, I wish I could hang out with those cool people from the internet."

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    So I guess from the sounds of things people are interested in doing Toronto mostly, provided we get enough advance warning for bookings to happen? Is that something we've pretty much agreed upon? If so, we can probably move straight to a headcount/date selection.

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    I live in Ottawa. I would love to hang out with you fine folks.

I would prefer Montreal over Toronto but I could do either, really.

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    There should basically be a formal poll about this because I've seen it go either way. My vote would be Montreal if I have a choice.

sig.gif
  • Options
    There's another Ottawan on these boards? Man. The more you know.

Steam
  • Options
    Also to note is that the drinking age in Montreal is 18, whereas in Toronto it is 19.

Don't know if that matters to anybody.

• Options
    Tasteticle wrote: »
    Also to note is that the drinking age in Montreal is 18, whereas in Toronto it is 19.

Oh man, didn't even know that. Bridges crossing the Ottawa river must get a lot of DUI accidents huh.

sig.gif
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I would rather go to Montreal

get some culture

Cello you should make a google doc to gauge and track interest

• Options
    SimBen wrote: »

Oh man, didn't even know that. Bridges crossing the Ottawa river must get a lot of DUI accidents huh.

It is a rite of passage to make the pilgrimage to a shitty, sketchy dive bar in Quebec and stumble your way back to Ontario at the dough eyed age of 18.

And then regret it the next day and swear it off forever.

• Options
    Really, Quebec is Canada's Mexico

• Options

It is a rite of passage to make the pilgrimage to a shitty, sketchy dive bar in Quebec and stumble your way back to Ontario at the dough eyed age of 18.

And then regret it the next day and swear it off forever.

Bars in Gatineau are pretty much the domain of 16 year olds with fake IDs and the 40 year old dudes who are trying to buy them drinks.

I also distinctly remember going on a bus tour of the city during frosh week in first year university, and the driver's first stop being the liquor store across the border where "the magic happens"

Steam
  • Options
    I've thrown together a poll where we can figure out location and get a headcount going. @Psykoma , could you add it to the first post when you get a sec?

Steam
  • Options
    I prefer Toronto almost entirely for money saving reasons, as I wouldn't need to pay for accommodations there, but I'd be willing to try to get to Montreal if that's where more people want to go

• Options
    Cello wrote: »
    I've thrown together a poll where we can figure out location and get a headcount going. @Psykoma , could you add it to the first post when you get a sec?

A weighted poll could be nice there if you're gonna let people vote for more than one.

sig.gif
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod

The expression is "doe eyed" as in having the large, innocent eyes of a female deer.

IA07+deer+234_1200.jpg

Although I suppose a night of underage drinking could leave you with dough eyes.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    I prefer Toronto almost entirely for money saving reasons, as I wouldn't need to pay for accommodations there, but I'd be willing to try to get to Montreal if that's where more people want to go

I'm pretty much in the same boat but with the cities reversed.

Being in Toronto for a period longer than two hours (or a horrible night waiting in YYZ) sounds like fun though.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    I think I'll leave it. I can't believe I never made that connection until now.

• Options
    Cello wrote: »

A weighted poll could be nice there if you're gonna let people vote for more than one.

Hm, not sure how to do that in Doodle. Is there a separate app we could use? I guess I could make a google doc

Steam
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    I am currently in a position of toronto or bust. depending on how my finical situation turns around in the not too distant future.

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    I feel like it takes an equal effort to get to either toronto or montreal from the u.s. east coast, so I picked those

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I've never been to Canada.

I don't even have a passport.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Uriel wrote: »
    I've never been to Canada.

I don't even have a passport.

Pretty sure you don't actually need one to come in this direction.

Canadians absolutely need a passport to go in the other direction.

I got this futuristic Indian & Northern Affairs card that seems to work in a pinch if travelling by land.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682