Options

"What's Up Hot Dog?", "Hey Everybody It's Tuesday!", and Other [Podcast] Catchphrases

Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
edited September 2014 in Social Entropy++
These are some podcasts!

COMEDY BANG BANG: THE PODCAST
0.jpg
Join host Scott Aukerman (“Comedy Bang! Bang!” on IFC, “Mr. Show”) for a weekly podcast that blends conversation and character work from today’s funniest comedians. While Scott begins by traditionally interviewing the celebrities, the open-door policy means an assortment of eccentric oddballs can pop by at any moment to chat, compete in games, and engage in comic revelry. With all that, and regular bonus episodes, we bet your favorite part will still be the plugs!
Hosted by Scott Aukerman
Featuring guests like Paul F. Tompkins, James Adomian, and Andy Daly

THE FLOP HOUSE
Flophouse_cover1.jpeg?1366253657
Elliott Kalan, Dan McCoy, and Stuart Wellington are friends who’ve decided to express that friendship not by doing productive or enjoyable things, but instead by watching critical or commercial flops, and then discussing those terrible movies for you to enjoy in your ear-holes. Although, honestly, most of the time they just talk about random bullshit.
Hosted by Dan McCoy, Elliott Kalan, & Stuart Wellington
Featuring guests like Hallie Haglund, Jessica Williams, and Wyatt Cenac

GIANT BOMBCAST
mza_3809895227079259314.600x600-75.jpg
The Giant Bomb staff discuss the latest video game news and new releases, taste-test questionable beverages, and get wildly off-topic in this weekly podcast.
Hosted by Brad Shoemaker
Featuring regulars like Jeff Gerstmann, Dan Ryckert, & Drew Scanlon

MY BROTHER, MY BROTHER AND ME
MBMBAM_Update_67.jpg
My Brother, My Brother and Me is an advicecast for the modern era featuring three real-life brothers: Justin, Travis and Griffin McElroy. For roughly five-sixths of an hour each week, with new episodes dropping every Monday, the brothers McElroy will answer any query sent our way, each fielding questions falling into our respective areas of expertise. We operate like a streamlined, advice-generating machine. It’s both terrifying and humbling to behold.
Hosted by Justin, Griffin, & Travis McElroy
Featuring guests like John Roderick, Lin-Manuel Miranda, and Elizabeth Gilbert

WITS
11-atlg.jpg
Wits is a live public radio show that brings world-class comedians, actors and musicians to the stage where host John Moe gives them and the audience the time of their lives. Wits mixes improv, sketch comedy, conversation, music and genuine beauty in a program praised as “one of the rare public radio comedy shows that’s actually funny” (Huffington Post) and “on course to become a national hit” (USA Today).
Hosted by John Moe
Featuring guests like Peter Sagal, Kristen Schaal, and They Might Be Giants

Sometimes podcasts aren't comedic, but those aren't as fun to put in a big list!

Bullseye, Song Exploder, and 99% Invisible are good examples of those!

What do YOU think about podcasts?

I think they're good!

6F32U1X.png
Mr. G on

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    The Daily Show just announced they are starting a podcast that will focus on behind the scenes interviews with the crew.

Should be interesting.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    My main podcast rotation atm:
    Answer me this! (Helen Zaltzman & Olly Man)
    99% Invisible (Roman Mars)
    Idle Thumbs (Chris Remo, Sean Vanaman, Jake Rodkin, Danielle Riendeau & special guest Nick Breckon)
    Slate's The Gist (Mike Pesca)
    This American Life (Ira Glass)
    Freakonomics Radio (Stephen Dubner & Steven Levitt)
    Revolutions (Mike Duncan of The History of Rome fame)
    Death, Sex & Money (Anna Sale)

Czech em out!

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Whiskycast is pretty good. Host is an interesting character.

• Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    Getting a desk job with an hour-long commute has done wonders for my podcast listening

What I listen to regularly:
    Bombin' in the AM
    The Flop House
    Giant Bombcast
    My Brother, My Brother, and Me
    The Powerbombcast
    Daft Souls
    RPPR Actual Play
    Sawbones
    Hardcore History
    Corp Draw
    Fast Karate for the Gentleman (this one only updates occasionally these days, though)
    Isometric
    Idle Thumbs
    Terminal7

I also check in on other stuff, like Bullseye, Judge John Hodgman, RebelFM, This American Life, Alt-F1 and The Mentall Illness Happy Hour.

• Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    I love Who charted? so much, I only just started listening to it but boy oh boy is Howard Kremer one hell of a character

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    So I subscribed to a podcast about Archie comics

That's what I've done with my life

• Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I'm starting to really like the X-Files Files with Kumail Nanjiani. I love the X-Files, generally, but Nanjiani is a really earnest and endearing fan of the show as well.

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Getting a desk job with an hour-long commute has done wonders for my podcast listening

Fast Karate for the Gentleman (this one only updates occasionally these days, though)

Oh man, finally: someone else around here that listens to Fast Karate.

Truly we are soulmates.

(P.S. I have a whole bunch of podcasts *points downward*)

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    BuchoBucho One careful pwner Registered User regular
    Huntera wrote: »
    I love Who charted? so much, I only just started listening to it but boy oh boy is Howard Kremer one hell of a character

He's oddly underwhelming as a guest on other shows but you only need to listen to him "host" one episode of Whooch to get why it's one of PFT's favourite shows. I haven't come across a more interesting mind in all of podcasting and Kulap, Scott's former girlfriend whom he married, is the perfect guide.

If you haven't already it's worth also checking out the Very Special Episode of Analyze Phish that Howard and PFT co-hosted.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    I just learned that Kojima made Boktai through the Bombcast.

You know, when you think on it, yeah, Kojima is the only one crazy enough to make that game.

• Options
    LockoutLockout I am still searching Registered User regular
    started listening to Hello Internet, which is a couple education YouTubers, CGP Grey and Numberphile, talking about various things that affect their lives

it's excellent. highly recommend it if you're interested in new media at all, or just like listening to thoughtful people discuss productivity, work-life balance, copyright, and so on

f24GSaF.jpg
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »
    The Daily Show just announced they are starting a podcast that will focus on behind the scenes interviews with the crew.

Should be interesting.

this already started, I think

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Lockout wrote: »
    started listening to Hello Internet, which is a couple education YouTubers, CGP Grey and Numberphile, talking about various things that affect their lives

it's excellent. highly recommend it if you're interested in new media at all, or just like listening to thoughtful people discuss productivity, work-life balance, copyright, and so on

I'm really liking HI.

I also occasionally listen to cracked podcast and Welcome to Nightvale.

Also of course acquisitions incorporated.

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    The Cracked podcast is a new favorite of mine. They cover topics similar to the ones they do on their articles, but in a more natural conversation format (as opposed to numbered lists). A good one to listen to if you want common myths debunked, popular assertions proven wrong, and narrative theory explained to you.

sig.gif
  • Options
    since we're doing the "what are we listening to" role call

I'm nearly caught up on read it and weep

man, archive-diving a podcast that's been around for years takes some time

• Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »

Oh man, finally: someone else around here that listens to Fast Karate.

Truly we are soulmates.

(P.S. I have a whole bunch of podcasts *points downward*)

Oh yeah, I love those guys. I spent a while digging through their back episodes and I think they hooked me for good with their stuff about Mad Bull. Hooooooly shit, that show.

Also I quite like Roll for Your Lives, based on the one episode that I've heard. I think it could've used an introduction to the characters, though. Didn't have a good handle on who they were outside of CrabMan and BirdMonk. Games Witticism is also good. You're good at podcasts, Stilts.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    hey guys I don't normally post in this thread but I want to say that the Glass Shark bit from the newest mbmbam was the hardest I've laughed in months

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I, Bluedude, am crabmam aka pitt and dont really need to list my real name because they never use it anyways

I need a gnome to post is Harvey Bird Man

Speed Racer is Luke/Monkman

t4ct is the goat that slept in my chest

The other guy is Stilts friend and ive kinda forgotten everything about his character

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    And I cant wait till the next episode for you all to learn about the unique way that makes us terrible people

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I have a 20 minute drive to and from work each week day so I barely have enough time to listen to a full bombcast.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    BuchoBucho One careful pwner Registered User regular

man, archive-diving a podcast that's been around for years takes some time

I'm normally happy to recommend Keith and The Girl, especially since it's pretty much the longest running professional comedy podcast and deserves a ton of love for being pioneers, but if you're an archive-diver ... maybe not.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Skyrim is my go-to podcast listening game. Just wandering around Tamriel while Jeff rants about Yoshi ,Drew talks about F1 racing, and Patrick talks about Lost.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Why would you listen to well-produced podcasts by professional comedians when you can listen to Viking rocketship podcasts instead?

http://viking-rocketship.com

Featuring such great podcasts as

The Friendship

This podcast started off as Daniel Gauer evaluating each of his friendships to see of they were worth maintaining. I think since then though it's evolved to just be a general comedy podcast. It's really good and you should listen to it!

Games Witticism

You know the giant bombcast? Have you ever wanted to listen to a shittier version of it? WELL THEN HAVE I GOT THE SHOW FOR YOU. Me, @Stilts, @Moriveth, and sometimes @Olivaw yell at each other about video games and get into complicated arguments over which one of us is the host (spoilers it's me)

Let Me Tell You About Homestuck

Fuckin' Homestuck, right? What even is this horse shit? I read the world famous webcomic to @T4CT while he struggles not to cut his ears off to stop having to listen to me. Whether you love Homestuck and want to hear anew reader experience it, or hate it and want to see it taken down a peg, or don't know about it and want to learn what the big deal is, this podcast has something for you!

Roll for Your Lives

Our newest podcast! @Stilts dms a game featuring myself, @I needed a gnome to post., @Bluedude152, and @T4CT. Were... Pretty much the worst adventurers ever. But we try our best, and that's what matters, right?! No. No it isn't.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    I would like to point out that--in their first serious combat encounter--half the team of Roll for Your Lives almost kill themselves by falling 20 feet while trying to be "stealthy."

Also, I reveal my very loose grasp of how much bones weigh.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Thats not how it went at all

One tried to be stealthy

One failed a intelligence check

And the other two couldnt wait for me to throw a rope

(We really need those episodes out)

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Thats not how it went at all

One tried to be stealthy

One failed a intelligence check

And the other two couldnt wait for me to throw a rope

(We really need those episodes out)

Oh right, I forgot those parts haven't been released yet.

Whoops!

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    rolling fellows! i have suggestion: i know you've recorded a lot of the forthcoming episodes already, but introductions would be very helpful if they aren't a part of it

I mention it because I'm about halfway through the episode and am still a bit confused by who is who, and how many people there even are. The problem is exacerbated a bit because you all effectively have three names that you'll use interchangeably: the character names, your forum handles, and your actual names. Also you all enigmatically refer to some sort of """myke blaze"" that doesn't seem to exist but is mentioned often as though he is present

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    I think mike talked about recordings during the next session, so we can start editing them in at that point

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    we did a practice "introducing ourselves" ten minutes before we started recording and then forgot that we didn't record that one

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    This my first time hearing it but the friendship strikes me as a great premise for a podcast

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    The friend ship is way higher quality than anything else on the site and we are basically counting the days until they ditch us for maximum fun

• Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    The friend ship is way higher quality than anything else on the site and we are basically counting the days until they ditch us for maximum fun

Then you'll finally have space to distribute the improv podcast @Huntera and I are working on.

signature.png

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    The Friendship doesn't even have that premise really anymore he just happens to interview a shitload of comedians somehow

• Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    JohnHam wrote: »

Then you'll finally have space to distribute the improv podcast @Huntera and I are working on.

Teach Me How to Boston

a comedy improv podcast where John Ham teaches me how to speak with a Boston accent while a rotating 3rd party wonders what the hell they've been roped into

• Options
    nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    Some of the Grantland culture podcasts are good. I like the "girls in hoodies" a whole lot.

• Options
    read it and weep opened episode sponsorships earlier today and they were sold out in 24 minutes

I never had a chance. :(

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I just started listening to Superego and I am in love

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    OSW Review is a fantastic video podcast about old school wrestling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeIPaYN4jU8

...which inspired The Attitude Era Podcast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETZfYXIUTo4

The guy who hosts that has a friend who has seen almost NO MOVIES. This includes Star Wars, Terminator and Back To The Future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_PSFwlfJa0

...and then also he's on a podcast about Godzilla movies now.

avatars-000102530774-rifqpp-t200x200.jpg?e76cf77

...and those are all the podcasts I listen to that haven't been listed here so I'm not just saying "LISTEN TO ALL THE CRACKED PODCASTS."

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Y'all should listen to Sailor Business: http://wax-work.com/sailor/

Chris Sims (comics writer), Jordan White (Marvel editor), and various guests are going through the entire original Sailor Moon series

• Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    My semi-regular pimping of The Dollop.

If you like weird history, and hilarious stories, then you owe yourself a listen. The back catalog isn't much so it is an easy catch-up.

Again, best episode: The Rube.

"Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
This discussion has been closed.