As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I made this thread... FOR SCIENCE!

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    I'm willing to look past the factual innaccuracies in favour of the outstanding pun.

Are you saying that they don't wax twice a month?

Well, if that's the case, I think my interest in them is waning.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I'm willing to look past the factual innaccuracies in favour of the outstanding pun.

God I wish I had your resolve. It's making my eye twitch trying to resist correcting him.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular

God I wish I had your resolve. It's making my eye twitch trying to resist correcting him.

i bet he said it wrong on purpose just so someone could correct him and he could make his follow-up waning joke

chico is just that kind of guy

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    I've heard that Moon women are all smooth down there because they wax twice a month.

Can confirm.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    ChicoBlue wrote: »

Are you saying that they don't wax twice a month?

Well, if that's the case, I think my interest in them is waning.

Don't let them hear you say that. They'll come after you like the terminator

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Lockout wrote: »
    if you're particularly disturbed by the idea that you're a home to harmless parasites, maybe avoid this post

They have been linked to acne, though- in their greed for your skin oils, they block your pores and cause them to fill up with oil. Bacteria eat the oil and bam, acne.

eyelash-mites1.jpg

That's a hair follicle! Those red things are mite butts wriggling inside your pores!

Plus, if you're severely infested, they're visible to the naked eye:
    mites+eye.jpg

Captain Marcus on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited September 2014

Why, smof, I had no idea you were Lunar-British. Were you born on the Moon and move to Bristol as a babe, or is your family just ethnically lunar?

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Damnit @Fishman‌ it's not fair to edit your post before letting me make mine!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    700.jpg?0822
    NASA Administrator Resigns After Leak Of Offensive Anti-Moon Email
    In the email, sent to several top NASA officials, an exasperated Bolden appears to vent his frustrations about the agency’s historic involvement with the moon, going so far as to say that Earth’s lone natural satellite “all but ruins the night sky for me” and that every dollar spent on lunar exploration might as well have been “thrown straight in the trash.” Later in the email, Bolden seems to downplay the significance of the recent 45th anniversary of the historic Apollo 11 moon landing, wondering “how the hell Neil Armstrong just didn’t fall asleep walking around on that thing.”

• Options
    I know that's just an Onion article but anti-Moon biases are real and they are not funny.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    I know that's just an Onion article but anti-Moon biases are real and they are not funny.

I hope you can find it in your heart to forgibbous.

• Options
    Butler wrote: »

You get one freebie; I'll take umbrage with any other puns at my expense.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod

Relax, it looks like they're almost dione.

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    Larlar wrote: »

I am apolloed by your lack of sensitivity.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Larlar wrote: »

I am apolloed by your lack of sensitivity.

Okay, I think we just eclipsed the rubicon.

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    All these puns are cratering in a big way.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    These jokes are driving me lunar!

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Just relax, lay back, and enjoy this sea of tranquility. Don't have a mare.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    That was so astronomically bad, you should apollogize.

• Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    something something something dark side

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    if you're particularly disturbed by the idea that you're a home to harmless parasites, maybe avoid this post

They have been linked to acne, though- in their greed for your skin oils, they block your pores and cause them to fill up with oil. Bacteria eat the oil and bam, acne.

eyelash-mites1.jpg

That's a hair follicle! Those red things are mite butts wriggling inside your pores!

200px-Katie_Dugtrio.png

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    I always thought it was weird how diglett's evolution was just two of its friends turning up.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    That's true of a few of the early pokemon, not sure why, limited sprite size maybe?

• Options
    Circulation problems, mostly.

63574093ff2c34f461425103be9c79e8.jpg

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    Also a lot of pokemon got V eyebrows when they evolved for some reason.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Also a lot of pokemon got V eyebrows when they evolved for some reason.

They turned into angsty and angry teens.

• Options
    GoldenSeducerGoldenSeducer AAAAAUGH!! Registered User regular
    Dear Science Thread,

I started watching Cosmos on Netflix this week. It's super cool. I learned because of this thread that the information regarding our Cosmic Address in the first episode is already outdated and it came out in March of this year! How awesome is that? Pretty dang awesome.

Just thought I'd share that with you.

~GS

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Oh, is that about the map of the galaxies and the Milky Way getting a new home supercluster?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    GoldenSeducerGoldenSeducer AAAAAUGH!! Registered User regular
    Pretty much, yeah. Science is rad.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular

eyelash-mites1.jpg

Plus, if you're severely infested, they're visible to the naked eye:
    mites+eye.jpg

This is just making me really upset that the MST3k host segment where Mike gets his eyelash mites removed isn't available on YouTube.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kcWweblGjnU

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I will never get sick of "I walked on your face!"

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014

Holy

fucking

shit.

sarukun on
  • Options
    LockoutLockout I am still searching Registered User regular
    this isn't terrifying and sad at all, nope nope

Earth lost 50% of its wildlife in the past 40 years, says WWF [The Guardian]
    The number of wild animals on Earth has halved in the past 40 years, according to a new analysis. Creatures across land, rivers and the seas are being decimated as humans kill them for food in unsustainable numbers, while polluting or destroying their habitats, the research by scientists at WWF and the Zoological Society of London found.

“If half the animals died in London zoo next week it would be front page news,” said Professor Ken Norris, ZSL’s director of science. “But that is happening in the great outdoors. This damage is not inevitable but a consequence of the way we choose to live.” He said nature, which provides food and clean water and air, was essential for human wellbeing.

“We have lost one half of the animal population and knowing this is driven by human consumption, this is clearly a call to arms and we must act now,” said Mike Barratt, director of science and policy at WWF. He said more of the Earth must be protected from development and deforestation, while food and energy had to be produced sustainably.

The steep decline of animal, fish and bird numbers was calculated by analysing 10,000 different populations, covering 3,000 species in total. This data was then, for the first time, used to create a representative “Living Planet Index” (LPI), reflecting the state of all 45,000 known vertebrates.

“We have all heard of the FTSE 100 index, but we have missed the ultimate indicator, the falling trend of species and ecosystems in the world,” said Professor Jonathan Baillie, ZSL’s director of conservation. “If we get [our response] right, we will have a safe and sustainable way of life for the future,” he said.

If not, he added, the overuse of resources would ultimately lead to conflicts.
    Currently, the global population is cutting down trees faster than they regrow, catching fish faster than the oceans can restock, pumping water from rivers and aquifers faster than rainfall can replenish them and emitting more climate-warming carbon dioxide than oceans and forests can absorb.

The report concludes that today’s average global rate of consumption would need 1.5 planet Earths to sustain it. But four planets would be required to sustain US levels of consumption, or 2.5 Earths to match UK consumption levels.

The fastest decline among the animal populations were found in freshwater ecosystems, where numbers have plummeted by 75% since 1970. “Rivers are the bottom of the system,” said Dave Tickner, WWF’s chief freshwater adviser. “Whatever happens on the land, it all ends up in the rivers.” For example, he said, tens of billions of tonnes of effluent are dumped in the Ganges in India every year.

As well as pollution, dams and the increasing abstraction of water damage freshwater systems. There are more than 45,000 major dams – 15m or higher – around the world. “These slice rivers up into a thousand pieces,” Tickner said, preventing the healthy flow of water. While population has risen fourfold in the last century, water use has gone up sevenfold. “We are living thirstier and thirstier lives,” he said.
    The biggest declines in animal numbers have been seen in low-income, developing nations, while conservation efforts in rich nations have seen small improvements overall. But the big declines in wildlife in rich nations had already occurred long before the new report’s baseline year of 1970 – the last wolf in the UK was shot in 1680.

Also, by importing food and other goods produced via habitat destruction in developing nations, rich nations are “outsourcing” wildlife decline to those countries, said Norris. For example, a third of all the products of deforestation such as timber, beef and soya were exported to the EU between 1990 and 2008.

f24GSaF.jpg
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Obviously this means we need to colonize more planets wholly with wildlife.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Can someone explain something to me that I am not able to look up right now? Why are some clouds grey and dark, and some are white and fluffy? I'm not talking about giant storm clouds, because that seems obvious. But what about little small clouds. I'm looking out the window here, and I see some big white clouds in the background, and some smaller clouds in front of them that are smaller but way darker. They also appear dark when they are just in front of the blue sky. Whereas most of the clouds I see are whiter.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    At a guess, it would be related to the density of water in the cloud. Higher densities will absorb more of the light that hits it, reducing the light that gets emitted from the cloud, causing it to appear darker

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Can someone explain something to me that I am not able to look up right now? Why are some clouds grey and dark, and some are white and fluffy? I'm not talking about giant storm clouds, because that seems obvious. But what about little small clouds. I'm looking out the window here, and I see some big white clouds in the background, and some smaller clouds in front of them that are smaller but way darker. They also appear dark when they are just in front of the blue sky. Whereas most of the clouds I see are whiter.

ele-cloudcolours-1e.jpg

Sunlight enters a cloud from above. The water droplets refract, reflect and disperse the sunlight in all directions preventing them from beaming a single colour like the blue sky. This combination of the whole visible spectrum comes out white by the time the light leaves the bottom of the cloud. Almost the same amount of light is leaving the bottom of the cloud as entering the top, it's just filtered in a way to make it white

As clouds become more dense, they continue to filter the light, into white, but less light leaves the bottom of the cloud and is bounced in other directions up or out. This makes the light white, but less of it reaches your eyes so it appears darker.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    That makes perfect sense to me for giant stormclouds. They look big and dense, but I'm looking at what appear to be these tiny little clouds, and they are as dark as some stormclouds I've seen. I guess their size doesn't matter though. Thanks, guys.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    yeah size doesn't really matter to density, you can have massive cirrus clouds which take up the entire sky but are super whispy and thin. Pressure and wind systems which form clouds can be super focussed and you can have one or two small, thick clouds in an otherwise clear blue sky.

rain-clouds1.jpg?w=600

#pipe on
This discussion has been closed.