As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Look Out, Scooby! There are G-G-G-Ghosts in the Halloween Thread!

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I believe my mom said one of those terms is a Hawaii thing, but I can't remember which

Is it maybe the one about pineapples
    Maybe
    Do you think

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Jimothy wrote: »
    MadEddy wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I cracked up every time I saw the "I have no word for this" choice
    I just imagine someone kinda cocking their head and being confused about the entire concept of the question

I chose that a few times

There is a tiny road along the highway, like an extra mini-lane, but I've never heard anyone refer to it and it's not something I've ever thought about. Just part of the highway

and while I've heard the term "rubbernecking" and know what it means, I didn't grow up with it, it's not something I use. I just call it "traffic" or "people being stupid, why would you slow down like that, this isn't that hard"

I've very rarely heard that kind of road referred to as a frontage road, but around where I'm from they all tend to be actually named "Frontage Rd," so I guess that term is or was commonly in use.

Wait a sec

I thought they were referring to the little mini-lane thing that isn't meant to be driven on, the right-most part of the highway

If it is an actual normal road that runs parallel to the highway and even has a streetname, then I've never seen that

Are you talking about the shoulder? Because a frontage road is a normal road that parallels the highway but isn't on it or anything.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    I cracked up every time I saw the "I have no word for this" choice
    I just imagine someone kinda cocking their head and being confused about the entire concept of the question

I chose that a few times

There is a tiny road along the highway, like an extra mini-lane, but I've never heard anyone refer to it and it's not something I've ever thought about. Just part of the highway

and while I've heard the term "rubbernecking" and know what it means, I didn't grow up with it, it's not something I use. I just call it "traffic" or "people being stupid, why would you slow down like that, this isn't that hard"

I've very rarely heard that kind of road referred to as a frontage road, but around where I'm from they all tend to be actually named "Frontage Rd," so I guess that term is or was commonly in use.

Wait a sec

I thought they were referring to the little mini-lane thing that isn't meant to be driven on, the right-most part of the highway

If it is an actual normal road that runs parallel to the highway and even has a streetname, then I've never seen that

Are you talking about the shoulder? Because a frontage road is a normal road that parallels the highway but isn't on it or anything.

Okay, then I guess I should retake the quiz because I've never seen or heard anthing like that

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I believe my mom said one of those terms is a Hawaii thing, but I can't remember which

Is it maybe the one about pineapples
    Maybe
    Do you think

Hilariously no, I don't think it was

Also note well that the quiz has more questions than it asks you in a single go through, so you might not have gotten all of the bizarre shit your first time through

• Options
    edited October 2014
    I just retook it because I realized I had misclicked on the pajama question, and now SC and Mississippi are both really dark red, the rest of the South is orange, and then most everywhere else except part of California is blue. Like the whole middle part of CA is yellow? Interesting, because the quiz didn't even ask how many extraneous "likes" I use per sentence. (The answer would be "all of them.")

MadEddy on
    ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I just retook it trying to avoid all of the dumb things I've picked up from other people (y'all, kitty corner, sub, devil's night, the difference between dinner and supper) and I got a hilariously New England map

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Apparently the drive-thru liquor store question is what allowed it to narrow down where I live.

I guess that term is highly localized.

• Options
    I love dialectal differences. They fascinate me.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    linguistics in general is fascinating.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    It's me, I'm the one from Florida

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Hah that quiz just broke and got an error. It can not figure out a Nebraska accent.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Hah that quiz just broke and got an error. It can not figure out a Nebraska accent.

Nobody understands a people whose entire dilect is just variable pronunciations of the word "corn"

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

Nobody understands a people whose entire dilect is just variable pronunciations of the word "corn"

This is true. Also cow.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Sometimes it errors out a bit, just click on the link to share your results

• Options
    Is there a way to see answers by area? I'd like to see what it thinks we sound like.

• Options
    Not that I've found. I really wish there was.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    I got three zones.

One was my current residence.

One of the other two was Detroit. Apparently, I speak fluent post-apocalyptic.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    One was Detroit
    the other was actually Old Detroit which is mostly marked by heavy use of the phrases "bitches leave" and "I WORK FOR DICK JONES! DICK JOOOOOONES!"

• Options
    xfjdjdjxfjdjdj Registered User new member
    When I saw it at the Theater near Safeway in Cheyenne it was full 32.gif

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Pop

Duck Duck Grey Duck

Oh for Cute

I cant even take the quiz because its so obvious

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    That survey saw my trashy Jersey accent coming a mile away.

I'm surprised it even let me finish it before giving me the deepest, darkest red dot over "Newark/Paterson."

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    xfjdjdj wrote: »
    When I saw it at the Theater near Safeway in Cheyenne it was full 32.gif

Holy shit you're from Cheyenne? ME TOO.

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Sassori wrote: »
    My coat for my Carmen Sandiego costume has finally arrived. Now I just have to go home and see how it compares to the hat I have. I'jim actually pretty excited about this.

Thanks @Lost Salient

Don't forget the awesome guy who suggested it!

@JoeUser you are the bestest and I hope your fur coat never loses shine. Never could a red strand turn dull when you grant such brightness to the world.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I'm pretty thirsty. I should probably get a sip of water from the bubbler.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    There's a different version of that quiz that was fairly accurate for me (predominantly northern midwestern), but that version is just like "Jesus Christ where are you from woman"

I moved around a lot quiz, suck iiiit

But good job failing, I've literally never lived in Ohio, which was one of your guesses

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Once, when one of my sisters was living in Cleveland, a lady pegged her accent down to a two-county area. I am still impressed by that.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I got Boston, Honolulu or Los Angeles.

I wonder if other UK people would get similar results.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    Pop

Duck Duck Grey Duck

Oh for Cute

I cant even take the quiz because its so obvious

Is Duck Duck Grey Duck the same thing as Duck Duck Goose, but with a worse, clunkier tag phrase?

Oh for Cute I don't recognize at all. I'm trying to think of what that could be about and have no idea.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    tumblr_ndwqjjab8p1rshctco1_500.jpg

I'm gunna need a straw.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Im watching Mystery Incorperated

Did I just watch the Aliens forklift fight redone in a Scooby Doo cartoon

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Im watching Mystery Incorperated

Did I just watch the Aliens forklift fight redone in a Scooby Doo cartoon

Yup.

Mystery Inc. is a goddamn treasure.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    It's a power-loader, not a fork-lift. Jeez!

Also I need to watch more Mysteries Inc I guess.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    (Quoting myself for context)
    chromdom wrote: »
    Finally decided on a Halloween costume -- Elmer Fudd, since I'm bald. Just took getting another kind of hat, an orange visibility vest, and a toy gun. I'll also get a sign that says 'Wabbit Season.'
    [...]

Edit: Forgot to mention, the gun is about 2-feet long, orange and white, supposed to be a mini shotgun. The pump actually pumps, but that doesn't get anything done. However, it does break open in the middle, and it looks like you can load those old ring caps in. And then you can snap it closed. Even more yay?

I was hanging out with a friend last night, one who is always zombie-something for Halloween. She suggested I be Elmer Fudd, Zombie Hunter. I think I'd need someone to be zombie-Bugs or zombie-Daffy to pull that one off, and probably change the sign to 'Zombie Season.'

What do you guys think? Is that an idea worth pursuing? It seems like it's trying too hard to be in on the zombie fashion to me, but I could probably be convinced it's a fun idea without too much effort.

chromdom on
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    Well got this heat pressed at work today

I am Halloween party ready now

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    that's a pretty good shirt

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    According to that site, I would fit in best in San Antonio.

Which is funny, I've never been to Texas but my dad grew up (0-22) in San Antonio. Cool.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    I finished working on my pants last night

And man, this costume is going to be a bit more of a sexy costume than I was expecting

• Options
    alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    That quiz was pretty neat. It could only pin me to the general southern US with "y'all", though.

xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    I still haven't seen Season 2 of Mystery Inc.

If I remember right, season 1 has an episode where...
    ...James Hong and George Takei engage in a lightning-wizard duel.

• Options
    Lars wrote: »
    I still haven't seen Season 2 of Mystery Inc.

If I remember right, season 1 has an episode where...
    ...James Hong and George Takei engage in a lightning-wizard duel.

It's on Netflix.