Options

A Moist, Bare Bones [Webcomic] Thread

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever seen an author write out the accent of their characters in a way that improves the work. Almost invariably, it just makes it harder to understand what the character is supposed to be saying.

"You listen, Babylon mon," he said. "I a warrior. But this no m' fight, no Zion fight. Babylon fightin' Babylon, eatin' i'self, ya know? But Jah seh I an' I t' bring Steppin' Razor outa this."

Yeah...

As much as I love Neuromancer when I get to bits like that I just skip them.

I'm paraphrasing here but....."Who the fuck are you?"

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever seen an author write out the accent of their characters in a way that improves the work. Almost invariably, it just makes it harder to understand what the character is supposed to be saying.

@‌Berk does the accent thing

but he actually has an ear for the accent he's writing, plus it fits the story

definitely the exception

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    Throw everyone that phonetically writes their southern characters as saying ah instead of I into the ocean

don't throw Chris Claremont into the ocean

even if it's mostly his fault

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    chris claremont would probably enjoy it

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Malky Dungeon is complete gibberish to me.

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    the issue i have with phonetically written accents is that it assumes there's a "normal" accent that doesn't have to be phonetically written

like sometimes people will write out australian accents phonetically and i'll be like, no

that's just how those words are pronounced

you don't need to write him as 'im or beer as beah, that's just what happens to those words when you say them out loud

• Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    On one hand, I don't think it's a bad thing for authors/cartoonists to acknowledge that some people pronounce words differently and use different grammatical arrangements than they do.

On the other, it makes it almost impossible for me to understand what's being written. Again, it's probably a dyslexia thing, but I have a super hard time with written thick accents. Especially when it's not something I hear frequently.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I mean, other people can like accents written out like that. It can just be me that is annoyed by it, I'm cool with that.

But I feel like writing them out adds an additional layer of obfuscation, so that the "skill" of writing it out is just that you make what you're writing so compelling that lazy me is actually going to be willing to wade through it instead of just skipping it to play video games instead.

Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    I would write my undoubtedly dumb california accent phonetically in every post if I were capable of hearing it

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    I love berk but I'm gonna be the contrarian here and say I don't really like when he does the phonetic thing

I have no idea what anyone's saying in malky dungeon and basically lost track of the story right out of the gate

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Read

Malky Dungeon

Out

Loud

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Read it aloud out on the moors under the light of the right sort of moon and a raggedy Berk might just be willing to make your acquaintance.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    JZkjX2Z.png

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Having never read Malky Dungeon before I gave it a shot, felt a pinch confused, and then read it out loud and yeah, that makes it easy peasy lemon squeezy.

• Options
    MikeLLMikeLL What it do NEPHEW? Registered User regular
    I purposefully put obscure terms in May's speech to make it even harder to read than it normally would be.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    stephen king does that kind of thing really well, I think, in that he mostly uses it to either emphasize regional slang (ayup) or when a character has a particularly thick accent, he'll do like, a sentence in plain english and then do a bit like "he pronounced it like this because of his accent" which gives you a little window in how that character talks while still giving you a way to understand what the hell's going on

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I think Malky dungeon is more interesting to me as it is. The words seem natural enough, and it just drives home that it isn't american media. It feels patriotic? Is that the right word?

I mostly dislike the outright english code languages that pop up in paranatural though. There are just pages of super faint text, or reverse filled words, that can totally be read, but is just a mega pain to do so. There's nothing that feels authenticly alien about monsters/spirits speaking normal english, and so the obstructions don't really add anything for me.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    I actually really like some phonetic accents

when I was a kid I found an old edition of Uncle Remus Stories in the school library and it kind of grabbed ahold of me

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I think the dog language in paranatural is pretty good.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    accents are not something that most people should even bother to attempt

and even when you do a good job, it's still not gonna work for everyone

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    stephen king does that kind of thing really well, I think, in that he mostly uses it to either emphasize regional slang (ayup) or when a character has a particularly thick accent, he'll do like, a sentence in plain english and then do a bit like "he pronounced it like this because of his accent" which gives you a little window in how that character talks while still giving you a way to understand what the hell's going on

A lot of British writers can suggest an accent through slang and sentence structure really well, I've found.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Having accents written out phonetically is pretty bad (with exceptions) in comics but in books it's straight up insufferable (I can't think of any exceptions offhand for books). There's no reason for Sal to have such a thick accent that it'd need to be constantly reinforced but in something like Malky or Vibe where the accents on display are explicitly super thick and it's believable for the characters to have such accents it's much more acceptable.

• Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular

A lot of British writers can suggest an accent through slang and sentence structure really well, I've found.

Black American authors are also very good at suggesting differences in pronunciation the same way. Tonni Morrison's phenomenal at it.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    2014-09-28-calledit.png

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    I don't really want to have trouble reading something that is written out

Accent stuff in text means that 99% of the time I won't read it.

No amount of atmosphere or character makes up for the fact I'm having to mentally translate what that text is, because it always takes away from actually processing what is being said. Just isn't worth it imo.

Exceptions might be if you aren't necessarily intended to read what is being said, and the context of the conversation is provided by the other side.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    It cranks up the heat a bit on the "not gonna read this" thermometer but no more than excessive walls of text or boring artwork. If you pare down the amount you actually have to read to compensate it's actually pretty tolerable.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Can't stop seeing boobs.

Edit: Its like a pamphlet for an at home breast exam.

look at it from another angle and its like she's breast feeding a purple star skulled infant. edit: With a fat ass head.
    edit:

TQsCl9T.jpg

Filling out online job application is extra boring when there is no save option. Almost makes working a shitty job acceptable.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
  • Options
    Holy shit, it is a dress, I just noticed the shoulder straps.

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    GXxJyu1.jpg

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    tha worst thing aboot transliteratin' be when dwarves wroite loike they talk

ye dinnae wroite in ye on accent, laddie

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Don't write an accent if accents don't serve some significant role in the presentation of the story

Malky needs the accents because that's an integral part of how it works

Willis' stuff does not

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    "The chief shall swatch ye swally yer black draughts but no yet

no yet

Miss ye, hen"

If you don't like the dialogue in Malky Dungeon then put on your gloves because you and I, we have to rumble

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Berk wrote: »
    he should have a patreon goal where i do this for every page imo
    MOx12r.jpg

How quickly we forget the face of beauty

And, bereft its radiance, decry the virtue it reflects in ourselves

(Berk you are a beautiful creature, never stop)

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    Everything should be written as if a Taysider is saying it.

set phasers te malky

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    away tae fuck

• Options
    statlerstatler Registered User regular
    qy85xdkddou7.png
This discussion has been closed.