As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I spent 90 hours at the [job] thread last week and all I got was this lousy paycheck

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Today is like Friday. No students tomorrow and we teachers have a half day then four days off! Woooooo

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    I just spent the last half hour arguing with one of my mom's friends on facebook about the Ferguson situation. So that was fun!

So I've got that going for me.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Exactly, at least with online charitable giving you can research the organization and see if they are legitimate and check out their numbers to make sure that a large percentage of their revenue goes towards their stated charity.

And you get the proper tax paperwork for the taxable deduction at the end of the year.

We actually have a few we donate to specifically like the WWF (HULK HOGAN IS MY HERO.. oh wait I mean endangered wild animals... sorry). The more money you pull in income wise, it changes the entire game. Rich people probably don't really appreciate someone coming interrupting them in the middle of the day asking for money any more than I do, and I hate it to all fuck. Especially if it's right after work or on my day's off. Ugh.

Don't direct your hate or think of them as bad people. Unless they treat you like trash outright and you can't take the hint (if I say I'm not interested that's your cue to walk away).

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    What he was complaining about was how they treated him not necessarily how much they donated, and I totally understand that - I canvassed for all of three days before giving up (any job that involves that much talking to people is not my forte) and even that was enough to see a big difference in attitude depending on the level of the neighborhood.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    I don't donate to the people who go door to door canvassing for donations.

Because I don't trust them.

The same concern goes for all of my friends and family.

The most I'll do for them is ask for the web address of their charity and make donations directly to that.

You absolutely cannot take whether someone donates to a door-to-door canvasser as any sort of indication towards their overall philanthropy.

The easiest way to tell really

is when they say "I am not interested in donating to charities, they don't help me personally and I do not care if they help others."

Guys I am leaving out the detailed recounting of what the charitable organization does and the exact language of the exchange in order that it's not obvious who I work with.

But these are not the suite of standard and acceptable no's that I get all over the place. "Not interested", "I give at work", "I don't give at the door", etc and so on. Like I said, it's a job where you are inevitably bothering people at the wrong time, and it is in no way mysterious why 90% of the people at the door say no thanks.

These are people who ask you to pause and dance for them a bit before laughing at the implication that your work could mean anything to such a titan and kicking you back down the hill. It's pretty fucking easy to get the lay of the land with regard to their character.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I just spent the last half hour arguing with one of my mom's friends on facebook about the Ferguson situation. So that was fun!

Why would you do this thing? I imagine you must like to suffer.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Psykoma wrote: »
    I don't donate to the people who go door to door canvassing for donations.

Because I don't trust them.

The same concern goes for all of my friends and family.

The most I'll do for them is ask for the web address of their charity and make donations directly to that.

You absolutely cannot take whether someone donates to a door-to-door canvasser as any sort of indication towards their overall philanthropy.

The easiest way to tell really

is when they say "I am not interested in donating to charities, they don't help me personally and I do not care if they help others."

Guys I am leaving out the detailed recounting of what the charitable organization does and the exact language of the exchange in order that it's not obvious who I work with.

But these are not the suite of standard and acceptable no's that I get all over the place. "Not interested", "I give at work", "I don't give at the door", etc and so on. Like I said, it's a job where you are inevitably bothering people at the wrong time, and it is in no way mysterious why 90% of the people at the door say no thanks.

These are people who ask you to pause and dance for them a bit before laughing at the implication that your work could mean anything to such a titan and kicking you back down the hill. It's pretty fucking easy to get the lay of the land with regard to their character.

There's nothing wrong with that initial response.

Making you dance because you're not actually working is different and I agree. The "they don't help me personally" could be as simple as they could be a prostate cancer survivor and don't donate to breast cancer because they give what they can to prostate cancer.

Don't look too deep into that message. If they laugh and make you dance, that's your ticket to their character.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

I am/was full of sugar and caffeine and it makes me punchy and I was just sick to death of seeing ignorant barely veiled racist bullshit being spouted off by people and hidden behind a prayer.

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular

I am/was full of sugar and caffeine and it makes me punchy and I was just sick to death of seeing ignorant barely veiled racist bullshit being spouted off by people and hidden behind a prayer.

Just start saying worse and worse stuff until finally they can't bring themselves to agree, then you'll know the true depths of their character.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Last day of my internship is tomorrow. It's been interesting, i've learned a lot. How to program, how to learn how to program, various processes that projects go through, that linux is terrible, etc.

I've also learned that i'll probably have trouble finding a programming job with just what I learn from a 2-year degree, though. I'll ask the people here for any tips before I leave. Hopefully I can leverage this experience into a job somewhere later on, but i'm not optimistic. But then, i'm never optimistic about anything so that's not exactly an indicator of reality.

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Back at work today after a week off. Brain still fuzzy. Probably doesn't help that I feel a cold coming on.

.... I might just take tomorrow off too and enjoy the holiday.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    My partner Amy did door to door canvassing for a while. The company running it assigned blocks randomly, so one one day you would get like four blocks of five streets to go door to door, all in different suburbs but not TOO spread out, so you could catch a bus to an area, and then only have to walk a few kilometres to get to each block, then walk back to the bus stop and take the bus home again.

After a couple of weeks she hated going to the richer neighbourhoods. Poor folks, blue collar, white collar, middle class people? 99% reasonable and respectful if they didn't want to get involved. Upper middle class people and the wealthy? More often than not, she'd get an earful about "why don't you get a real job, what are you, lazy?" Now, Amy is a very sweet person, to the point wbere she still has customers from her old job as a barista nearly ten years ago see her in the street and come up to her and chat about how she's going, they miss chatting to her on a Saturday morning, after she left the cafe went downhill so now they go elsewhere etc. etc. etc. I've known her for 16 years, and she has no enemies. None. And yet, she'd come home from canvassing in a "nice" area and cry her eyes out about how rude and disrespectful these multimillionaires in three and four story houses in very swanky neighbourhoods were to her.

The canvassing was actually a weekend job she got through a friend that she did for a few months on top of her primary full time job in which she earns significantly above the national average wage, to help out her unemployed partner (me).

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Last day of my internship is tomorrow. It's been interesting, i've learned a lot. How to program, how to learn how to program, various processes that projects go through, that linux is terrible, etc.

I've also learned that i'll probably have trouble finding a programming job with just what I learn from a 2-year degree, though. I'll ask the people here for any tips before I leave. Hopefully I can leverage this experience into a job somewhere later on, but i'm not optimistic. But then, i'm never optimistic about anything so that's not exactly an indicator of reality.

Only true until you join the ranks of greybeards and prefer the command line to the gui ;).

In general, the fact that you've had an internship where you did programming work will count for a lot though, so don't count yourself out yet!

• Options
    ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular
    Just tell them about the cool Star Trek Phaser remote control for the TV.

I never noticed before viewing this product that a type-1 phaser nestled in a type-2 phaser. The things TG teaches me never ends.

|_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    I don't give at the door because I never, ever, ever have cash. But I try to be polite about it, because 99% of the time, someone whose job involves knocking on strangers' doors has had a worse day than me.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    BYToady wrote: »

Just start saying worse and worse stuff until finally they can't bring themselves to agree, then you'll know the true depths of their character.

The lady was being ignorant and racist the whole time and I was being mostly civil!
    I did get to say this to her at the end:
    Really, if you wanted to bury your head in the sand you could have just led the conversation with "i don't like black people" and left it at that. Everything you have said to this point is just tiptoeing around that sentence. Go ahead and say it! We already know it. It'll make you feel better to get it out there.

She ignored it like she ignored every other fact or statistic or point I made, but it was nice to be able to call her a racist because yeah.

• Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    I typically don't go to the door at all, for anyone, unless it's someone I know is coming over to visit.

I don't keep cash in the house so I have nothing to give for donations or to spend on a fundraiser. I'm also fairly happy with what religion I associate with and church I choose to attend so I don't need to be converted or invited to a different one.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Might get off early tomorrow around noon-ish if the company follows previous holiday procedure. Still gonna plan for an eight hour day, I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than disappointed.

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    I never answer my door unless I'm expecting someone.

You never know when a hitman is going to get the wrong address.

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    It's not about not giving. It's about maybe not actively laughing at the idea that poor people deserve to starve, because they once saw a fat person use food stamps and by God if we let them starve instead they'd get a job tomorrow.

No, seriously.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    As a rule I won't give to anyone who comes door to door or who asks for money unsolicited. I simply don't trust that the money will get to where it's supposed to go 100% of the time, and it's easier for me to simply have a blanket "no unsolicited giving" rule than devote energy to trying to suss out the wheat from the chaff. I will, however, listen to anyone who feels strongly enough about something to want to give me a 30 second pitch and ask for any literature they have on their cause. If it hits home, I'm happy to give directly.

I almost certainly don't give enough to enough worthy causes, though.

Edit: Writing this post made me feel guilty so I just upped my local NPR membership monthly donation and gave a lump sum to my HS's annual fund.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Once someone asking about child amnesty international or whatever with the old dude and the kids showed up at my door.

I was eating dinner, they asked if they could have some.

I said no, I told them I'm not interested.

They said "what you don't have $1 a day?"

"No, sorry, I'm buying a house."

Apparently this is not something you should say because it enables tirades about charitable giving and how $1 a day is more important to them than me, because I already have a roof over my head.

I just shut the door in her face and went back to eating my dinner.

Don't be like that person and you and I will get along just fine when you come to my door.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Work is handing out delicious pies today.

It is sitting on my desk smelling delicious and taunting me.

Must stay strong.

Must resist the pie.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Bé ChuilleBé Chuille Registered User regular
    Chuggers are my least favourite. The ones in Dublin have some pretty questionable ways of getting attention.

I'm always polite to them and explain that I either volunteer or give directly to charities but its never enough. A guy stopped me before pretending to give me back something that I had dropped on the streeet then walked me to an ATM so I'd print of a statement and use the details to sign up for monthly donations. I was too shy to say no at the time, but did cancel the order straight away and make a complaint against him. The whole encounter was deeply uncomfortable!

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    Didn't get the library job that I'm overqualified for at a place I used to work for a boss that used to love me.

C'mere, ice cream.

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    ironsizide wrote: »
    Just tell them about the cool Star Trek Phaser remote control for the TV.

I never noticed before viewing this product that a type-1 phaser nestled in a type-2 phaser. The things TG teaches me never ends.

That is one of the coolest things about the TOS phaser!

In library news, I had two formal observations today, both right after each other. The first one the administrator just chilled in my office and we talked about what I'm doing. The second one, the administrator sat out in the library and took notes. The library then got unexpectedly busy, which was good since he saw me doing librarian stuff with classes and students.

It was probably a best case scenario.

I then had a student come up asking for books so I cut them off by pulling a huge vampire book out from under the counter and named them the chosen one, the slayer!

She looked at me oddly but a teacher in the library started laughing.

We also finished inventorying the whole library.

Good day so far.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    Chuggers are my least favourite. The ones in Dublin have some pretty questionable ways of getting attention.

I'm always polite to them and explain that I either volunteer or give directly to charities but its never enough. A guy stopped me before pretending to give me back something that I had dropped on the streeet then walked me to an ATM so I'd print of a statement and use the details to sign up for monthly donations. I was too shy to say no at the time, but did cancel the order straight away and make a complaint against him. The whole encounter was deeply uncomfortable!

Wait

What the FUCK

• Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    I was just sick to death of seeing ignorant barely veiled racist bullshit being spouted off by people and hidden behind a prayer.
    I <3 Louisiana.

Error does not compute.

• Options

Woah what the fuck. That is some next level pushiness.

• Options
    Farangu wrote: »
    I was just sick to death of seeing ignorant barely veiled racist bullshit being spouted off by people and hidden behind a prayer.
    I <3 Louisiana.

Error does not compute.

I should amend that to say I <3 Louisiana food.
    And some of the people.
    Most of them can fuck right off, though.

ALSO, I got a call back about the job I applied for! They want to hire me!
    ...at $7 an hour less than I'm making. And then a year of probation. And then I'll be a permanent employee.
    If it was a dollar or two less, I would think about it. But $7 an hour is a pretty big dip for me.

I am disgruntled with today.

Maybe some beer at home will bump me back up to gruntled.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Sheri wrote: »

Wait

What the FUCK

It's OK, chuggers just sounds like a racial slur

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Woo, small raise. That starts in a month, they pinky swear.
    God, I hope this one job I really want pans out. They said I'd get word "before the holidays", which I thought meant by tomorrow. But with how slow they have been, they may have meant December.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    So at my job we have a couple shelves full of snacks, and the occasional canned soup for lunch, and a fridge full of soda. These have prices listed and are paid for on the honor system to raise money for a fund that does events and getting assistance to employees that lose family member or something.

Apparently over the last 2 years, they've fallen short of what they should have made given the amount of snacks they replace by about $10,000.
    That's like, 20-30 thefts a day.
    Goddamn, people.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

Wait

What the FUCK

It does?

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

Wait

What the FUCK

It does?
    For the joke to work, yes.

But I did have to Google the term to make sure it wasn't.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Oooookay. I had a moment of horror wondering if there was a language barrier and chugger is horribly offensive there XD

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    I'm one-sixteenth chugger on my mom's side and you can't use that word, it's our word.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    If you made a post-apocalyptic movie where the cannibalistic underdwellers were called chuggers, I wouldn't bat an eye.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    So today was a chili cook-off at work.

I missed the judging but someone decided to make roughly 5 gallons of deer chili (ok, not 5 gallons, but instead of a crockpot they used a 30lbs turkey roaster) which won. It was damn good chili actually.

And since me and a couple others arrived late (we got there after about 6 of the pots were roughly licked clean, party started at lunch, we got there around... 2:30), there were still some deserts left, including 2 whole pumpkin and 1 whole pecan pies. So I have something to take to my girlfriend's place on thanksgiving.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    well, at least one kid is getting expelled after today

This discussion has been closed.